Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

vOv posted:

I feel like they should've made 50/60 reward creation. Doing the same 3 dungeons 5 times a week for creation gets old, and it'd be nice even if you had to do two 5060s to replace EXDR.

I don't even do expert anymore. pvp+trial roulettes give 50/day with much faster queues than expert and the remaining 100 is covered by hunts, Omega normal, and dog farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

vOv posted:

I feel like they should've made 50/60 reward creation. Doing the same 3 dungeons 5 times a week for creation gets old, and it'd be nice even if you had to do two 5060s to replace EXDR.

It should be a choice at least. Though with less dungeons coming in on odd patches in SB, the EXDR situation isn't really going to improve too much in the long term.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I only use 50/60 when leveling things and even then don't use it much. Last time I got a 60 dungeon was via mentor roulette.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean, hey no big loss really, but dungeons and quests are a lot better. It isn't obvious, though.

If you've got nothing else to do though, doing the levequest challenge logs are some nice chunks of experience.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hunter Noventa posted:

If you've got nothing else to do though, doing the levequest challenge logs are some nice chunks of experience.

The best way to do this is to use fishing/crafting leves. Repeatable crafting/regular crafting/repeatable fishing/regular fishing will give you your four different plates. Then repeat whichever of those four you want (or all of them) until you have 19 levequests done. Go grab one combat leve, do it and get both challenge logs at the end. Almost 1m experience from 60-70 iirc.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The best way to do this is to use fishing/crafting leves. Repeatable crafting/regular crafting/repeatable fishing/regular fishing will give you your four different plates. Then repeat whichever of those four you want (or all of them) until you have 19 levequests done. Go grab one combat leve, do it and get both challenge logs at the end. Almost 1m experience from 60-70 iirc.

Plates?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

levequests are vestigial to 1.0. Basically Tanaka's grand idea was that no one would have pre-defined jobs, you would instead make your own by building up cross class skills from the various classes around Eorzea (rouge, marauder, gladiator, lancer, etc.). Levequests were supposed to be the core of the game. Instead of story quests, you and your pals would get levequests from the adventurers guild that could be repeated. These leves are represented by plates. In cutscenes for 1.0 you see them actually handling the various plates.

See the start of this video for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPG-rIeTYYY

Nowadays very little of that matters, but the plate thing hangs on. If you look at levequests when you're picking them up, there will be a stained glass rectangle in the top right corner. That's the plate and it tells you what type of leve it is. You get a challenge log completion for completing 5 different levequests with different plates and 20 levequests total.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mr. Nice! posted:

levequests are vestigial to 1.0. Basically Tanaka's grand idea was that no one would have pre-defined jobs, you would instead make your own by building up cross class skills from the various classes around Eorzea (rouge, marauder, gladiator, lancer, etc.). Levequests were supposed to be the core of the game. Instead of story quests, you and your pals would get levequests from the adventurers guild that could be repeated. These leves are represented by plates. In cutscenes for 1.0 you see them actually handling the various plates.

Nowadays very little of that matters, but the plate thing hangs on. If you look at levequests when you're picking them up, there will be a stained glass rectangle in the top right corner. That's the plate and it tells you what type of leve it is. You get a challenge log completion for completing 5 different levequests with different plates and 20 levequests total.

Man that adventurer's guild looks pretty rad. Too bad (What I assume was) Limsa didn't keep that fancy ironwork design.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ruta posted:

But mentor roulette includes the 60 dungeons, and I think being a first timer has a higher chance of foisting a mentor into your dungeon. At least, I get 60 main quest dungeons often in my mentor roulette. Also Alex normal. Sometimes Alex normal with like 6 mentors and two new guys.

Antitower, The Wall, and Sohm Kai (or whatever it's called) were both 3 Mentors and my sprout rear end in them so I guess that explains that bit of weirdness.

Also why wouldn't they just roll the 50/60 content into the Leveling Roulette since it's old content at this point? Trials Roulette already seems to do this so why not do it for Dungeons?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Thank you for the explanation.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Man that adventurer's guild looks pretty rad. Too bad (What I assume was) Limsa didn't keep that fancy ironwork design.

Here's a cool video about it and some of the remnants that are still around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xir1HD6yH1E

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

a kitten posted:

Here's a cool video about it and some of the remnants that are still around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xir1HD6yH1E

That prototype Limsa at the end is so cool. I hope they reuse that concept of a location in the future.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jumbo/mini cactpot is so depressing :(

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
The NN in Brynhildr has been really helpful for me. Worst it gets is being really silly, but it's very helpful thanks to the Good Mentors that go on.

Also I finally finished 2.0 and am moved on to 2.1+ story line, wowee so much poo poo unlocks at lv50. I like the MSQ quest where Alphinaud realizes him going off to do things is pointless because you're just going to do it/find the objective/kill boss anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Dick Trauma posted:

No sweat happy to help!

For reference, I just spent 30k gil buying some poo poo off the mb to turn in for fishing/goldsmith leves. Got two levels on goldsmith and one on fisher from the leves. Once I had got both challenge logs primed (4 different plates and 19 turnins) I went and did one battlecraft leve on my warrior. I got 580k for each of the two challenge logs and 100k from the leve itself. This took me all of maybe 10-15 minutes and a big chunk of that was just looking up the leve turnins on the mb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like I've got Black mage down okay but I'm still not too comfortable with Sharpcast. Where are the best places to use it?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
I like to Sharpcast when refreshing AF with Fire 1 so that I have a quick panic refresh button in case Thundercloud decides to proc during my second set of Fire 4s.

I dunno if that's optimal or not but I find it works very well.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like I've got Black mage down okay but I'm still not too comfortable with Sharpcast. Where are the best places to use it?

This seems to be the major 4.0 BLM guide

It seems like you choose to either use it for Fire procs or Thunder procs and just arrange to use it with that at the start.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Sharpcast is also great when you've hit a lucky streak, getting multiple thunder and fire procs in a row, just do add that last bit of 'gently caress you' damage.

E: Beat lol Welcome to The Black Impatom

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

If Convert is off or about to be off cooldown just after Fire3 for Fire1 and Firestarter. Otherwise generally just after Blizzard3 for a Thundercloud proc, especially if there's a second thing to use it on.

Honestly as long as it leads to Firestarter with Convert or something without it's probably fine. BLM gets enough procs to make it a voodoo science otherwise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Just use it on cooldown. Same goes for your other cooldowns. Delaying any of them is a dps loss.

Exception: your opener is a special case (so you can use convert ogcd) and using it to proc a thunder iv in an aoe situation is a massive amount of damage.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just got around to watching this, there are a few recognizeable career voice actors in the 1.0 opening, that surprised me for some reason.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

To elaborate, the plate also indicates what type of levequest (kill targets, collect items, etc.) it is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Just got around to watching this, there are a few recognizeable career voice actors in the 1.0 opening, that surprised me for some reason.

It's also (mostly) the same party as in the 1.0 ending video/ARR opening. (And the WAR gets wrecked in both)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

It's also (mostly) the same party as in the 1.0 ending video/ARR opening. (And the WAR gets wrecked in both)

Whenever I see or think about the 1.0 group, I remember the lorebook telling us about the WHM lala's impure thoughts regarding the Hyur WAR.

In other words

Unrelated, Diaurnal Aspected Helios does not seem like it's worth the MP cost at all. I can't wait to see how Nocturnal is.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Whenever I see or think about the 1.0 group, I remember the lorebook telling us about the WHM lala's impure thoughts regarding the Hyur WAR.

In other words

Unrelated, Diaurnal Aspected Helios does not seem like it's worth the MP cost at all. I can't wait to see how Nocturnal is.

Can't blame her, the derplander is pretty good looking.

Diurnal Aspected Helios does more healing per MP than regular Helios, so it's good if you need substantial group-wide healing but don't need it right away. Think of a boss that knocks half of everyone's HP off then goes back to beating up the tank for 30 seconds. You can also fire it off and then go back to focusing on healing the tank or DPSing instead of having to use multiple GCDs on Helios or Benefic.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Can't blame her, the derplander is pretty good looking.

Diurnal Aspected Helios does more healing per MP than regular Helios, so it's good if you need substantial group-wide healing but don't need it right away. Think of a boss that knocks half of everyone's HP off then goes back to beating up the tank for 30 seconds. You can also fire it off and then go back to focusing on healing the tank or DPSing instead of having to use multiple GCDs on Helios or Benefic.

Ah true enough. You've been really helpful as I work my way up AST!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
This is still my fav. Yoshi P thing ever: https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyPlainLocustRuleFive

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

In other words

That's the image I link whenever Nanamo x Raubahn comes up.

And yes, after years of being able to go d!aBenefic + d!aHelios + CU + optional Bole + Time Dilation the entire stack, and then have the tank be invincible for the next thirty seconds so you can go around dropping Gravity on everything, I think the stats on the current tier's gear isn't high enough to support that anymore. Maybe next tier, but for now, stick to Noct whenever possible.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I find people are tempted to go nocturnal AST rather than diurnal because it has the extra 5% on its stance. Just keep in mind that, despite this, the total healed from a. helios and a. benefic are still less than the diurnal version. What you're gaining extra mileage on is your bene/bene2/helios.

I prefer hot stance myself; aspected benefic on the tank is nice. I feel the shields really only shine when I'm doing such high hitting content that I'd rather the upfront potency of the shields than the trickling healing of a HoT. O4S comes to mind. Little else does.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I just figured out that there's no bank and no way to expand one's inventory. I've already accumulated a crapload of crafting materials so I guess I better get crafting.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Dick Trauma posted:

I just figured out that there's no bank and no way to expand one's inventory. I've already accumulated a crapload of crafting materials so I guess I better get crafting.

That's what retainers are for. You get two for free.

Check the main cities for the retainer vocate.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Switching to Noct stance and putting up an A. Benefic between pulls and then switching back is a good idea.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I feel like I should have asked this a week ago but. Do you still get a flanking bonus from attacks from the rear or does it have to be from the side?

Bolow fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 17, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dick Trauma posted:

most of the sub 20 or so materials can be purchased from NPCs, so they're not really worth keeping if you need the inventory space.

Or you can sell it on the market board (through your retainers) for jacked up prices to people too lazy to track down the vendors or too stupid to know you can buy it from them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Ohh... I thought retainers were some sort of lackey you could send on mini-adventures, although I guess they could be that as well as bank/auction space.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Load those lazy retainers up with all the stuff you'll never actually glamour, but maybe you will someday really cool gear you like, it in no way slows them down on their never ending quest to bring you random roofs.

e: But really, they're your storage space for stuff you need, but don't necessarily need on you at any given moment, and the stuff they bring from ventures can both be cool and occasionally even semi-valuable, especially when you're starting out.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Bolow posted:

I feel like I should have asked this a week ago but. Do you still get a flanking bonus from attacks from the rear or does it have to be from the side?

Flanks and Rear Positionals are 2 separate things. Unless you are using an ability which states in it's tooltip that it requires a certain type of flank, then it doesn't provide any benefit and can be ignored. This is mostly important for melee DPS, whose abilities often depend on positionals.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

a kitten posted:

Load those lazy retainers up with all the stuff you'll never actually glamour, but maybe you will someday really cool gear you like, it in no way slows them down on their never ending quest to bring you random roofs.

e: But really, they're your storage space for stuff you need, but don't necessarily need on you at any given moment, and the stuff they bring from ventures can both be cool and occasionally even semi-valuable, especially when you're starting out.

My retainers (both level 55-ish) brought me back about 800,000 worth of furniture on two quick ventures I sent them on a couple of nights ago, so they're definitely worth leveling up in addition to making good storage lockers/market scammers.

ps someone buy my Carbuncle Rug t i a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Does Crystal Tower have any notable goodies?