Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brett824 posted:

Does anyone else feel that LuNa shippers are just not reading the same material as us? This is One Piece, the main protagonists are Luffy and the Strawhats and Luffy LOVES his nakama EQUALLY. Yes, love. Friendship love, family love, platonic love, however you wanna call it. The Strawhats are the most important people in Luffy's life, excluding Sabo and Ace.

This is why this is the only pairing that I really do not sit well with. As mentioned before, Luffy loves his nakama equally, regardless of when they joined his crew. Him and Nami ending up together will just be flat out weird and null simply because it means Luffy has a specific bias towards Nami out of the crew members. And before anybody brings it up, yes I am aware that Nami is the only one that Luffy has entrusted his straw hat to. So what?? If the situation calls for it, Luffy would easily, without a single doubt or hesitation, entrust his straw hat to anyone in the crew, simply because yes, he loves them equally and trusts them with his life. Oda simply hasn't written such a scenario yet because there is no need to. To all LuNa fans out there, if the whole straw hat thing is all you can use to back up Luffy/Nami, ignoring both of their interactions with anybody else in OP, it goes to show how weak and fragile your ship truly is. In the end, the only relationship that Luffy and Nami has going on between them is a strong sibling-like friendship, where Nami clearly gets annoyed and fed-up with Luffy's antics but respects him immensely nonetheless, while Nami is just one of Luffy's precious nakama, him respecting her and her skills too.

I have no idea who Luffy will end up with at the end of One Piece, or if Oda will even entertain the notion of giving Luffy a Pirate Queen by his side. One thing's for sure though, Luffy will not end up with Nami, nor anyone else in the Strawhats simply because he loves them equally as nakama. With everything said, is this a childish and petty post on LuNa bashing? It probably is. Sue me. I just had to get this off my chest and share it.
Sir, this is a Mcdonald's drive through.

I actually got the read that Luffy and Nami were both gay, if obviously not primarily focused on gettin' laid at present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm on Enies Lobby in my One Piece reread, and a few things struck me, mostly involving things I'd misremembered:

• Sanji explicitly states that the reason he can't hit women is because it was "drilled into him as a kid" that he shouldn't, so in retrospect, the recent flashback with Zeff shouldn't have been surprising.
  • Kalifa is smarter than I remembered. Still somewhat overconfident, as Nami's opponents tend to be, but far from the complete idiot she had somehow become in my head.
  • Speaking of Nami and shipping: Viz has Nami slightly embarrassed to be acting "like an pervy old man" or something like that when she notices how sexy Kalifa is, suggesting that she's weirded out more because of the nature of her own fantasy (having Kalifa as a secretary) than by being attracted to a woman in itself. I think the fan translation I'd read the first time had Nami say something like "wait, I'm not a guy," which I guess could be taken as implying that Nami doesn't normally swing that way but Kalifa is ~just that sexy~ (much like the way everyone reacts to Hancock). Perhaps the translators at Viz tweaked the line a bit because they decided the original was dumb and kind of homophobic.
  • Lucci is less evil than I remembered. He straight up deliberately ignored Chimney sneaking around, and when Spandam asked why he didn't kill her, he replied that Spandam didn't tell him to (even though Spandam didn't even know she was there). This could be taken as Lucci not wanted to harm a child, or just as deliberately pissing Spandam off while acting within the letter of his orders. Lucci also had better reason for killing Nero than I remembered; Nero had declared he was angry enough at Franky that he was going to kill him even though the mission was specifically to capture him alive. I'd remembered it as Lucci just killing Nero for losing to Franky (probably because Lucci does make a point of calling Nero to weak to be a proper CP9 member after killing him).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 17, 2017

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Nessus posted:

I actually got the read that Luffy and Nami were both gay, if obviously not primarily focused on gettin' laid at present.

The entire crew is gay

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the only ship that matters in one piece is the going merry

I guess that explains why she always had seamen on her deck :iamafag:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nessus posted:

Hell, in Nami's case she seemed more infatuated with Vivi than she ever did with Luffy (who she seems to treat more like a little brother at the most). Luffy meanwhile, has never really experienced sexual attraction to anyone as far as I can remember.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Brett824 posted:

Does anyone else feel that LuNa shippers are just not reading the same material as us?

was wondering why the thread title changed

also it's obviously gonna be Boa, because it's her DREAM and little things like Luffy explicatively saying no mean nothing to a woman determined to live her DREAM

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Death Bot posted:

The entire crew is gay

WELL, ACTUALLY:

• Although Luffy sometimes comes across as asexual (most notably his lack of reaction to Hancock), he actually gets a nosebleed when seeing Nami in the bath, and he also acts surprised when Bon Kurei shapeshifts into Nami and shows off her breasts. Oda actually explains this in an SBS.

Oda posted:

I believe that Luffy reacted to Nami's naked body twice, in volumes 18 and 23, and both times it happened, Usopp was with him! He's the suspicious one! In other words, when Luffy is alone, his reaction is what it was with Hancock. He's interested, but he's not entranced by her. But when he's with Usopp, who's the same age, it's like a kid on a school trip: his bad side comes out!! Yeah, both sides of Luffy feel right to me, so the culprit is definitely Usopp!!
    I don't remember him ever showing that kind of interest in other men (not counting Bon Kurei in Nami form).
  • Zoro: Never really shows romantic interest in anyone as far as I remember, although I guess you could read sexual tension into his weird frenemies thing with Tashigi.
  • Sanji, of course, is madly in love with every girl he meets.
  • I don't remember Jimbei showing romantic interest in anyone.
  • As the quote above shows, Usopp is interested in a naked Nami. His relationship with Kaya can also be seen as romantic, I guess.
  • Chopper isn't interested in human females, but falls in love with Milky, a deer-type Mink.
  • Brook is basically Sanji-lite. (One of his many tired catchphrases is "May I see your panties?")
  • Franky is a self-proclaimed "pervert," although I can only remember him showing overt sexual interest in anyone once: giving the thumbs up while he watches Nami rifle through Kalifa's clothing for the key.
  • Nami sometimes acts flirtatious, but it tends to come across as manipulative rather than a sign of genuine interest. She does find Kalifa sexy, at least. Probably bisexual.
  • Robin is the most mysterious Straw Hat in terms of her love life. She seems to be close to Franky, at least.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Silver2195 posted:

[*]Robin is the most mysterious Straw Hat in terms of her love life. She seems to be close to Franky, at least.[/list]

She once grabbed him by his naked balls.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Robin/Franky's Balls is my OTP.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I ship the strawhats with the sunny.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm pretty certain that when referring to Franky as a hentai, it's more of the weirdo definition rather than pervert

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Sanji is incel, Zoro is volcel, Luffy is aromantic.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Robin refused to dock with Franky, I dunno what other evidence could prove the nature of their relationship.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Robin let Franky lay his head on her lap, that's like 3rd base in Japanese

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

King Neptune ships himself with Robin

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Brett824 posted:

Is that like being both aerodynamic and romantic

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Brett824 posted:

Luffy is aromantic.

He doesn't bathe very much, so yeah, probably.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I didn't know why on Earth the thread title and tag change but oh boy was I not ready

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

luffy is married to Hancock, zoro is dating perona. sanji is married obviously

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Brett824 posted:

I think Skypeia proved that Luffy is not aromantic.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

oddium posted:

Thats why perona is in the sig

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

wisdom

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

oddium posted:

Extremely true

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Imo the most hosed up thing is there's no lady polar bears for bepo

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

Imo the most hosed up thing is there's no lady polar bears for bepo

Bepo keeps boa company

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Late on this, but apparently my preferences are strange.

Somehow Laboon got ahead of Zoro. Don't really know how that happened.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

oddium posted:

Pretty sure that Mihawk has married Perona and Zoro is their surly adoptive son.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

no fan fiction please

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mihawk is in a monogamous relationship with swordsmanship, please don't ruin a beautiful thing like this.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Similarly, Nami is in a very passionate relationship with Beli, Robin is in a respectful and loving relationship with archaeology, and Franky has a very warm affair with shipbuilding.

I ship Jinbe with tactics.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I'm on Enies Lobby in my One Piece reread, and a few things struck me, mostly involving things I'd misremembered:

• Lucci is less evil than I remembered. He straight up deliberately ignored Chimney sneaking around, and when Spandam asked why he didn't kill her, he replied that Spandam didn't tell him to (even though Spandam didn't even know she was there). This could be taken as Lucci not wanted to harm a child, or just as deliberately pissing Spandam off while acting within the letter of his orders.

He also really wanted to fight Luffy, so letting Chimney act as a guide would work to his advantage. I doubt he would have had any qualms about killing her if he had seen her as a serious threat to the mission. Pissing off Spandam was just a fun bonus.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

WilliamAnderson posted:

Somehow Laboon got ahead of Zoro. Don't really know how that happened.

The algorithm definitely isn't perfect, the first time I did it I didn't get Eneru or Crocodile into my top 20 at all.

This one's close enough.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I legit believe in Franky/Robin and Zoro/Persona. I make no apologies.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just want Hancock to be happy

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Brook is basically Sanji-lite. (One of his many tired catchphrases is "May I see your panties?")

Brook seems less Sanji-lite and more desperate for reactions. He tried the panty joke on Robin and she just ignored him, so he never really bothers trying it on her again. He mainly does it to get a reaction from Nami and less so because of an actual desire.

Presumably cause his 50 years alone surrounded by the corpses of his friends has left him craving human interaction.

It's also why he gets depressed whenever he thinks he's being left out and angry when people spoil his catchphrase.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Luffy wound up lower than I think he deserves, but I do think this is solidly my top 10 in terms of who's in it.

Perona would have made a great Strawhat :(

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Franky is a self-proclaimed "pervert," although I can only remember him showing overt sexual interest in anyone once: giving the thumbs up while he watches Nami rifle through Kalifa's clothing for the key.
Franky is an exhibitionist. He doesn't creep on ladies (or guys) or anything, he just really likes wearing as few clothes as possible. He's a nice and wholesome pervert.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

The Lord of Hats posted:

Luffy wound up lower than I think he deserves, but I do think this is solidly my top 10 in terms of who's in it.

Perona would have made a great Strawhat :(

Why do you have that scumbag Caesar Clown in your top ten? You'd be better off with a cool guy like Gangster Gastino.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shoren posted:

Why do you have that scumbag Caesar Clown in your top ten? You'd be better off with a cool guy like Gangster Gastino.

:regd08:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

I wonder if it's possible to fill the Top 10 with No Image.