Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Kassad posted:

They're managing rent-controlled housing, so presumably the government can make them lower their rents. It's going to cripple their income but who cares about such details?

Also: you can be renting regular housing and get those housing benefits. No way in hell those rents are going down.

I assume it is a way of undermining public housing since public housing since those buildings are almost certainly going to see less maintenance. For a dude that is "neither left nor right," Macron seems rather Thatcherite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

I assume it is a way of undermining public housing since public housing since those buildings are almost certainly going to see less maintenance. For a dude that is "neither left nor right," Macron seems rather Thatcherite.

Sooo once it's even more lovely and ruined it's going to be sold to Vinci and Bouygues because the private sector is just so efficient ?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i saw on the news earlier that the government is refusing to bow to protestor pressure, so i guess macron's just gonna try to steamroll this poo poo through and then stamp his feet and pout when he has single digit approval ratings

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Of course he's not going to bow to the pressure. It's all part of his enlightened benevolent dictator spiel where he's doing what's best for the people even if they don't realise it themselves. And if his popularity has to take a hit to save us from ourselves, then by Jove, he'll make that sacrifice.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kassad posted:

https://twitter.com/leLab_E1/status/906133096944328705

He's not taking his falling approval rating very well.

Edit: in English.

So how much of a piss baby is Marcy Marc in compared to the American piss baby?

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY

Condiv posted:

i saw on the news earlier that the government is refusing to bow to protestor pressure, so i guess macron's just gonna try to steamroll this poo poo through and then stamp his feet and pout when he has single digit approval ratings

Hopefully this attitude results in a communist president being elected once his term is up?
Well a red or god help em whatever FN is morphing into?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

R. Mute posted:

And if his popularity has to take a hit to save us from ourselves, then by Jove, he'll make that sacrifice.
"By me, I'll make that sacrifice."

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/Paris/status/908029364310298624

Condolences.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm going to be honest I think Paris' proposal is really cool. Aside from the Olympic village I don't see many white elephant-grade things.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

securite sociale will be slashed to afford the olympics!

la republique en merde

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

julian assflange posted:

I'm going to be honest I think Paris' proposal is really cool. Aside from the Olympic village I don't see many white elephant-grade things.
You know exactly what's gonna happen tho

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly all of us in Vancouver thought the Olympics there were spending way too much money and were going to be super poo poo but they ended up being pretty cool.

That said the odds of us having a terrorist attack in the middle of the games were pretty low.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

R. Mute posted:

You know exactly what's gonna happen tho

Macron's going to walk out with the torch in full Emperor regalia and light the bonfire from his personal Olympian Versailles?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Someone photoshop Macron's face onto a photo of De Gaulle please, I can't do it due to incompetence or I would. Make sure it's one where he's wearing his general regalia.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lol when something or someone is a "chance pour la france" you know it's good

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

lmao
https://twitter.com/Paris2024/status/908218788050558976

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

France already hosts the best sporting event every year (Paris Roubaix) so I can't understand why they want the Olympics

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Nothing says France like phrases stolen from America.

Why does Paris even want the games, anyway? It's not like the need the exposure. I'm pretty sure even the biggest idiot in the middle of nowhere, USA, knows the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre exist and are considered pretty good.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

HookShot posted:

Why does Paris even want the games, anyway?
It's a real estate wet dream, you can rebuild whole part of the town as the olympic village without the usual tons of legal protections to bother you and you can resell them as habitation to richer people later. The fact that the village will be build in Seine Saint Denis is pretty telling. I expect some serious gentrification. gently caress, everyone with money and their mothers are probably already buying some buildings around the site.
Some past example:
http://sociologyinfocus.com/2012/08/the-olympic-transformation-regeneration-or-gentrification/
http://www.rioonwatch.org/?p=6600

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 14, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Also it's been literally a hundred years since the last time they hosted the summer olympics. They were probably jealous of London where they only had to wait for 64 years between 1948 and 2012.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Toplowtech posted:

It's a real estate wet dream, you can rebuild whole part of the town as the olympic village without the usual tons of legal protections to bother you and you can resell them as habitation to richer people later. The fact that the village will be build in Seine Saint Denis is pretty telling. I expect some serious gentrification. gently caress, everyone with money and their mothers are probably already buying some buildings around the site.
Some past example:
http://sociologyinfocus.com/2012/08/the-olympic-transformation-regeneration-or-gentrification/

I don't see how anyone without tons of money could afford to live in Paris, period. I lived there for a while in one tiny room and I genuinely do not know how anyone can shoulder the cost of living there and in other big cities.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

Some past example:

Maybe tour guides over here will stop telling people to avoid going to St. Denis Cathedral because it's in a dangerous part of Paris (because there are black people and black people are scary).

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The unanimous pro-games stance in the media is disturbing.

Sponsors also don't have to pay taxes because of course they dont, thanks Sarko

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 14, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The FN's Florian Philippot committed a terrible mistake: he was photographed eating couscous.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kassad posted:

The FN's Florian Philippot committed a terrible mistake: he was photographed eating couscous.

lol @ the quote in his defense: "well Algeria was French so this is also a French dish"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Only defense you need is "couscous is loving delicious". :shrug:

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Someone make an 'Islamo-Gaucho' gang tag for this thread

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Only defense you need is "couscous is loving delicious". :shrug:

Someone on Twitter seems to have found the restaurant they were in:

https://twitter.com/JohnGoodDindon/status/908777875909656576

Of course they'd eat at a place that serves couscous with merguez in it.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Jesus, that is the sorriest-looking couscous I've seen since my students days. No wonder they're not keen on North African culture.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kassad posted:

Someone on Twitter seems to have found the restaurant they were in:

https://twitter.com/JohnGoodDindon/status/908777875909656576

Of course they'd eat at a place that serves couscous with merguez in it.

What's wrong with that? There was a French creperie place around here that started serving couscous, with merguez being one option. Granted, it wasn't like the Moroccan couscous I was used to from Israel, but it was still lovely, and I was sad when they had to close shop. :smith:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't decide if my favourite couscousgate guy is the one who accuses Philippot of being a secret infilatrating leftist, or the guy who said that when the party kicks him out we'll celebrate with a good choucrotte. I feel like there's an Antoinette joke to be made there.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Lol FN is so delicate that someone can't eat couscous? I can't see a prominent American nationalist being drummed out for eating at a Mexican restaurant, for example.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

Lol FN is so delicate that someone can't eat couscous? I can't see a prominent American nationalist being drummed out for eating at a Mexican restaurant, for example.

For example, the 'Freedom Caucus' holds their anti-everyone meetings at Tortilla Coast.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lightning Lord posted:

Obama got into a whole lot of trouble for eating a hot dog with goddamned fancy Dijon mustard, what is good American yellow mustard not good enough for him?! :bahgawd:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

I can't decide if my favourite couscousgate guy is the one who accuses Philippot of being a secret infilatrating leftist, or the guy who said that when the party kicks him out we'll celebrate with a good choucrotte. I feel like there's an Antoinette joke to be made there.

Everyone knows choucroute is the meal imported by the invading eastern hordes of Attila, and a good pot-au-feu is what you really want to express your franchouillardise.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
LOL if your diet isn't 100% saucisson

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

julian assflange posted:

Someone make an 'Islamo-Gaucho' gang tag for this thread

it's been a while since i last whipped out the ol' photoshop

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flowers For Algeria posted:

:bernpop:

Mods!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Oh my sweet gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Obama got into a whole lot of trouble for eating a hot dog with goddamned fancy Dijon mustard, what is good American yellow mustard not good enough for him?! :bahgawd:

But this is more like if Mark Meadows was photographed eating a burrito, the response would be "who cares?"