Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Oh boy, this fight is going to be brutal, what with the light tonnage and 'sensor-blind' rules.

Turn a corner, and hope its what you expect it to be, because you're going to have to put it down; there's no running away in this maze, unless you're the Spider or the Mongoose.

Its a knife fight in blind alleyways folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Strobe posted:

So are we listed in order of who's in what 'Mech? If that's the case, it looks like I have the Roughneck that looks suspiciously like a Warhammer that shrunk in the wash. I am okay with this.

If you check the roster images, they have a player box. But it does seem you're listed in 'mech order.

And you have Battlefists. You drat well better be okay with this.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Defiance Industries posted:

OH poo poo. We made the loop.

I was hoping to get a turn during this Luthien re-invasion, and it looks like that's happening. :black101:

Assuming next mission's still on this planet, of course :sweatdrop:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Who knows, something might've come up and the alternates could get tapped.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Ablative posted:

If you check the roster images, they have a player box. But it does seem you're listed in 'mech order.

And you have Battlefists. You drat well better be okay with this.

And a reasonably good pilot at making sure it connects in the first place.

I'm slightly more concerned that I can't fire the PPCs in the turn I want to use the fists. This thing is ridiculously oversinked. :argh: (note: not actually complaining)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

anakha posted:

I was hoping to get a turn during this Luthien re-invasion, and it looks like that's happening. :black101:

Assuming next mission's still on this planet, of course :sweatdrop:

I think that PTN mentioned this was a two-mission campaign but I could be wrong.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

I'm slightly more concerned that I can't fire the PPCs in the turn I want to use the fists. This thing is ridiculously oversinked. :argh: (note: not actually complaining)

Blame PGI, that's the stock RGH-3A. :haw:

The RGH-2A's even worse, what with its 3 AC/2s with 45 shots apiece, and a single SRM-4 that can be fired non-stop for 7.5 minutes (75 turns)

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Wow, piloting already. Neat!

Do we have a doc set up already/chat space prepped? I'll likely be talking plans in here as much as possible, but coordination is a big part. Urban combat is fun!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm ready to jump good or die trying! :black101:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
That Centurion is going to be a naaaasty alley fighter. Double Snubbies with better targetting at short range is ideal inside the city.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Snubbies are amazing city weapons. That enormous close range bracket is SO good.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
I love how Robert looted half of that Stone Rhino's guns.

Good luck, Goon-Company!

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Gun Jam posted:

Good luck, Goon-Company!

Would you tell him No after he popped the Rhino's pilot with his first real attack? Man's got chops.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Gun Jam posted:

Good luck, Goon-Company!

Man one-shots a pristine clan assault, he'd better be rewarded. That's some tasty isorla.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Exciting lineup! Have fun folks, and Goon Luck!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

It looks like, according to the OP's third post, I sign up by posting? I have PMs.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That's a weird and kinda rickety set of loadouts. In a mission that's all about stealth and quick kills. This is gonna be interesting to watch.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Question: if we engage and/or kill an OpFor unit that is in LOS of another OpFor unit, but that we are not in LOS of, do we get made just the same as if we were visible?

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Aw, yeah; this is the kind of mission I was hoping to see. Good luck GoonCompany!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Question: if we engage and/or kill an OpFor unit that is in LOS of another OpFor unit, but that we are not in LOS of, do we get made just the same as if we were visible?

No, they have to have line-of-sight to a player unit. Killing a friendly in their line of sight will result in them breaking their patrol path to investigate and they may flee and take up a new patrol in a more irritating location if they don't like what they find. You'll understand why when you bump into the first enemy scout, but it's mostly because I'm not that much of a dick. I won't start a timer based on a unit the players can't even identify, especially when two of those units get to call for help faster.

I want the players to be able to avoid or eliminate the enemy scouts at their preference. Avoiding them should be tricky but fun for people who enjoy maneuvering, but the players aren't going to be penalized if they decide to bum-rush a scout in a tricky spot. They just have to be willing to risk bumping into an enemy Star Commander, who calls for help in 2 turns rather than 3.

I will warn you though: the enemy reinforcement star is both very dangerous and faster than the heavy player units.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Yup, that's why I was checking. Basically seeing if we inadvertently picked the "Hard Mode" mission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

Basically seeing if we inadvertently picked the "Hard Mode" mission.

You did, but I don't think it was inadvertent.

My advice is: if you get spotted early by a scout you didn't expect to get spotted by, drop everything to kill it even if you wind up having to backtrack or chain-kill several scouts to do it. You don't want 355 tons of fast Clan heavies to show up at the party early. I'd say if they show up before your heavies reach the wide road then you're probably in real trouble.

The Spider can probably make it all the way to the enemy HQ in 4-5 turns without ever being detected, but at least one of the defenders is an ace the Spider is incapable of soloing. If W.T. still wants to try, I'll absolutely let them. IDing the OpForce HQ's location early could be a big help, and the HQ's defenders aren't scouts, they won't summon reinforcements if they spot you and all five of them will be revealed permanently once the HQ is located, so there are benefits to actually scouting early.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 17, 2017

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Oh drat, strapped into the piloting bench already. Be gentle, this is only my second ride, and the first one had training wheels

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Coordinate with your fellows, if someone wants to go in and most everyone wants to avoid contact, be prepared to drop everything to murder a Kit Fox in case someone gets spiteful (it happens, people have bad days and sometimes you just want to murder a Kit Fox). Most of the enemy scouts can't outrun you but whether or not they try will depend on how hard you're willing to push to force them to engage you.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Defiance Industries posted:

OH poo poo. We made the loop.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
Oh, hell, I should probably sign up at this point: cascadejones@outlook.com no PMs so there's an email to use.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Potential Mechwarrior / Commander List
Returning Player Availability

New Players should sign up in the thread!
PTN, I do not see anything in the (massive) op about signing up other than this. Do you need my email address? I have PMs.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Pac Man. We're playing a Pac Man.

And everyone has a Power Pellet.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So real talk, tell me a little about my Mech, the Bandersnatch. It looks like a ranged critseeker, so I should probably let my lance open holes and then blow the enemy to hell afterwards? What's the difference between the Slug vs Cluster ammo for the LBX? And does the second LBX come with a toggle to switch between the two types of ammo as well?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mercenarynuker posted:

So real talk, tell me a little about my Mech, the Bandersnatch. It looks like a ranged critseeker, so I should probably let my lance open holes and then blow the enemy to hell afterwards? What's the difference between the Slug vs Cluster ammo for the LBX? And does the second LBX come with a toggle to switch between the two types of ammo as well?
Unless there are PTN custom rules, the Slugs are like an AC round and do 10 damage in one spot; the Cluster is like an anti-mech shotgun round, that fires ten 1 damage pellets, with a roll on the table to see how many pellets hit, then each pellet rolls to see which location it hits separately.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You can fire whichever kind of ammo you want from your guns whenever you want. Pretty sure PTN just didn't list the ammo types twice for brevity.

Slug: Literally just an AC/10 with better range and less heat.
Cluster: -1 to hit (more accurate), roll on the 10-column on the cluster table to see how many pellets hit (average is 6), and each pellet hits a separate location.

Your instinct is correct, it's great for critseeking, and it's also better than most at generating TACs and head hits, but relying on that is not a great move. I would definitely coordinate your targets with other players to make sure that there are big hole-punchers (like the Roughnecks) able to rip off chunks of armor before you fire if you want to use Cluster shot.

If the numbers are good, Slug is generally superior for doing damage. If the numbers aren't great (i.e. 10 or 11 before the cluster mod; 16% and 5% chances to hit respectively) then Cluster can bring it down into more possible ranges (9 or 10 is 27% and 16%, respectively). If the target is showing lots of exposed internals, Cluster is also great.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I've just been skimming the thread in the years since my last time in the game, but I'm definitely still here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

PTN, I do not see anything in the (massive) op about signing up other than this. Do you need my email address? I have PMs.

I've got you on the list now. I just can't add anyone while I'm at work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

I've got you on the list now. I just can't add anyone while I'm at work.
Awesome, thanks!

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Do the players also show up as 'blips' to the OpFor (with or without active probes) when they get close enough, or is direct LOS the only thing that knocks them out of patrol mode?

I ask because fanning out and inching forward under cover to try and learn the scouts' routes might be effective, but tremendously boring to the thread as a whole.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I like the added outline to show where building hexes start, makes it so much easier to eyeball LOS.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Mary Annette posted:

I ask because fanning out and inching forward under cover to try and learn the scouts' routes might be effective, but tremendously boring to the thread as a whole.

The scouts' routes will be visible from the start.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Keru posted:

I like the added outline to show where building hexes start, makes it so much easier to eyeball LOS.

Yeah this is kind of a gamechanger.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Snake Pit 1
The sweat that trickled down the back of Captain Rose D’Antonio’s neck had nothing to do with the heat inside the cockpit of her Mongoose. The dedicated scout `Mech was hardly a heat-hog by any means, even with the machine’s primary armament upgraded to pulse lasers. She’d volunteered for this—the whole of the 2nd Amphigean Light Assault had wanted to participate, but hers was the best scout lance in the regiment and they had enough ECM units to protect the slow pigs the local resistance were using.

In theory Rose had overall field command, she was an experienced company commander—but in practice the scout lance existed to support the heavies, so she had only moderate reservations about letting Lt. Korean or the Crucis Lancer liaison call the shots once the battle was joined. They were relying on each other, and if her scout lance had to clear a path for a bunch of clumsy Heavy `Mechs so be it. She had to trust them to back her in a pinch, after all.

“Alright,” the company had been hastily outfitted with laser-based communications equipment. It meant they needed line-of-sight to communicate, and in a pitched battle the computer would have difficulty keeping the slow-turning laser system on lighter, faster units, but until they needed to expose themselves the lasers meant there was no real risk the Clanners might intercept a broadcast.

“It looks like the local chinpira made good. We’ve got a basic passive sensor net all the way to Tai-sho Kaczynski Boulevard, we should have a rough idea where the Clanners in the area are even if we have no real idea what they are. Until we make visual contact, we’re operating under some base assumptions: the Clanners don’t know we’re here, and their Heavy `Mechs are wicked-fast.”

She paused, and explained her recon plan. “I’m preemptively tagging anything that matches the rough movement profile of a Wolf Spider as a Wolf Spider in our systems so we can avoid them. Anything faster, I’m flagging as a light scout—remember even though the Shadow Dragon can casually break a hundred KPH and can hit two-hundred if it really wants to, several Clan mediums can edge close to that at a full run, so just because I’ve flagged something as a small target doesn’t mean it is one. Lastly, if we get exposed, don’t forget to switch back to standard broadcasts. I don’t want to fiddle with the laser-comms in the middle of a pitched battle. This is mostly a reminder for the local Yaks listening in, as well as our friends in the resistance. It’s just one switch, don’t forget to flip it.”

The distant rumble of explosions was both a comfort and a reminder that the misfit hit-squad was on a bit of a time-table. The echoes should disguise any weapons-fire in the short-term. Rose sucked in a breath, “We’ve got a whole army of people counting on us, so let’s do this right. Find the enemy command center and hit it as hard and fast as we can. If you get shot out of your `Mech, go to ground in a civilian building and try not to eat any stray laser-fire. The local Yaks have promised to try to spirit us out of the city if we get shot out of our rides, but that won’t help if you die. So please: Don’t. Get. Headshot.”

[N/A]

[N/A]

Player Status:

Opposing Force Status:
[Unknown]

Special Rules
Half-Blind – Enemy scout units are marked by blips, they are patrolling along set paths. If line of sight is established the players have 3 turns to destroy enemy scouts, or two turns to destroy enemy Star Commanders before reinforcements are summoned.

Primary Objectives
- Find and Destroy enemy command post (0/1)
- Evade or Destroy enemy scouts (0/1)

Secondary Objectives
- Destroy alerted enemies before they can call for assistance (0/?)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Attention, Mechwarriors! You will be receiving a PM / E-Mail soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Shiiiit that's a lot of enemies, and these Roughnecks are slow. I see one patrol route that can (and will) expose us if we don't move, and another that will get wind of us immediately if we move west, so those two should probably be the two we take first.

Is the Shadow Dragon the local name for Fire Moth/Dasher? If those two things are specific to this LP, could someone post them here?

• Locked thread