Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Daddys hot grill posted:

This program is simple and friendly, just use the lite version in the download.

Appreciate it, but it did not work. Threw some checksum errors and when I ignored them and applied it anyway and tried to play it was just a black screen. Will try the other tool I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thanks to flyboi I have now got Super Famicom carts working in my US SNES. The reproduction Earthbound cart works perfectly in it.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Kid Fenris posted:

A friend of mine made this and I thought it was neat.

Of course, most of us just hit the actual Power Pad buttons with our hands anyway.

But what about Side B? :colbert:

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I've decided I'm gonna buy an N64, and probably an Everdrive is there any reason to get the v.3 over the 2.5 ??? Also does anyone know the best place to get them from that ships to the UK

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
If you have patience you can wait til Krikzz black Friday sale and get it 20% off directly get ok him. Or just buy one for a different system that time of year every year like I seem to be doing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gaz2k21 posted:

I've decided I'm gonna buy an N64, and probably an Everdrive is there any reason to get the v.3 over the 2.5 ??? Also does anyone know the best place to get them from that ships to the UK

Congrats on your good decision, 64 owns.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/digitalfoundry/status/909387577672835073

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lERDl_czTM

SSFF did a video on DOOM cosole ports as well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rirse posted:

Was trying out some Saturn games tonight...wow Burning Rangers is totally my jam. What are some other quirkly games like that for the Saturn and Dreamcast?

Illbleed

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

second for illbleed and paging Absolutely Anything to thread

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
hello, illbleed is one of the best games of all time

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Oh it's cool to learn that Carmack personally hosed up the Saturn Doom port.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Mace Bacon posted:

But what about Side B? :colbert:

There are buttons at the top for changing sides.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

There are buttons at the top for changing sides.

Your friend needs to Kickstarter this thing.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

univbee posted:

Your friend needs to Kickstarter this thing.

Church.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

:flashfap:

The best game of the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/Dreamcast era. And yet I haven't played it in years because I'm trying to forget as much about it as possible before I go again.

absolutely anything posted:

hello, illbleed is one of the best games of all time

:yeah:

I think half of my scant posts in this thread have been me just showing up when somebody has mentioned Illbleed. I'm like a cat hearing a can opener in that way.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 17, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How much longer until the PS3 is considered a retro games console?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

I'd argue we're pretty much there now, only pending games are PES and FIFA 2018, NBA 2K18, and Just Dance 2018 for Move. Even indie games aren't getting PS3 releases anymore. Too bad, since it's still the best console if you have internet but really bad internet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Illbleed probably would have been way more popular if it'd released like, 10 years later. Just because more people would be into the whole goal (and it also wouldn't be stuck on the best early-killed console RIP) and it probably would have gotten marketed with the full horror-humor shtick straight up instead of mostly getting marketed as oh no scariest game ever!! stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fishmech posted:

Illbleed probably would have been way more popular if it'd released like, 10 years later. Just because more people would be into the whole goal (and it also wouldn't be stuck on the best early-killed console RIP) and it probably would have gotten marketed with the full horror-humor shtick straight up instead of mostly getting marketed as oh no scariest game ever!! stuff.

I don't know about that. Ten years later and you're in the heart of AAA or nothin' territory. Five years later might have been more like it for Illbleed, though it would never gain a major audience.

Speaking of Dreamcast games, I found a copy of Sonic Shuffle for $3 earlier today. Now to find some friends suckers to play it with.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 18, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know about that. Ten years later and you're in the heart of AAA or nothin' territory. Five years later might have been more like it for Illbleed, though it would never gain a major audience.

But 2011 was a year with a lot of "indie" and "small time" stuff going big. XBLA/PSN/WiiWare games were selling really well, and Minecraft had really starting to get huge + go "retail release" that year.Plus Terraria actually released that year. And 2011 was also one of the last years when you could release a small time game on Steam and not immediately get flooded out by lovely Greenlight/whatever titles, yet also after the point where they'd stopped being like "we're only going to put up re-releases of old big time games and small amount of new games".

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Star Man posted:

In general, I usually would consider 2 console gens ago to be "retro", but honestly, I am sure the PS3 thread (if there is still one) is pretty much dead, so I don't think anyone would be dickish enough to complain about PS3 talk here. The fact that it can play PS1 games, and PS2 (either through BC, or through the PS2 ports on the PS Store), means it plays retro games either way. My 60gb (now 1TB) BC PS3 fat is still probably my desert island console because of that.

Gaz2k21 posted:

Krikzz has a chart on his site that has a checklist of what 2.5 and 3 can do. Save without reset and RTC is enough for me to just pay for the 3.0 when I do get one. Will look around Black Friday to see if I can get it for less.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 18, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

edit: weird double post

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Zand posted:

if you use the sanwas itll only cost 480 dollars for the buttons

I put samducks in my pop'n dao and they're great buttons.. ended up $100ish shipped for them

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FireMrshlBill posted:

In general, I usually would consider 2 console gens ago to be "retro", but honestly, I am sure the PS3 thread (if there is still one) is pretty much dead, so I don't think anyone would be dickish enough to complain about PS3 talk here. The fact that it can play PS1 games, and PS2 (either through BC, or through the PS2 ports on the PS Store), means it plays retro games either way. My 60gb (now 1TB) BC PS3 fat is still probably my desert island console because of that.

I really should consider dropping the money on an SSD for my PS3 Slim. I wish I had gotten a PS3 when they had hardware backwards compatibility, but nearly everything I owned on PS2 has gotten a PS2 classic release or an HD remake. I think I can settle without having the skateboarding segment in MGS2.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Star Man posted:

I really should consider dropping the money on an SSD for my PS3 Slim. I wish I had gotten a PS3 when they had hardware backwards compatibility, but nearly everything I owned on PS2 has gotten a PS2 classic release or an HD remake. I think I can settle without having the skateboarding segment in MGS2.

SSD's don't really work on PS3's, they're lacking TRIM support.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

univbee posted:

More importantly though, everything on the PS3's normal method for accessing the hard drive goes through a dedicated encryption chip, and that dedicated encryption chip can only handle transfers at 25-40 megabytes per second. So you lose the vast majority of the performance you would expect to gain from an SSD's speeds, and since PS3 games don't do high rate random accesses that much you don't get that benefit from the SSD either.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

univbee posted:

Many SSD's have their own garbage collection process, which mitigates some issues without having TRIM, so they have no issues in the PS3 unless you do a lot of deleting and installing games. Even then, read speeds won't be effected by lack of trim.

However, putting one in a fat PS3 won't get full utilization since it is a Sata1 bus (though still faster than a HDD). I did have issues in my fat PS3 with trying to use that first gen Momentus XT SSHD, but I think it was because of the power requirement being a 7200rpm. It would stutter on any cut scenes, so I ended up just using a standard WD Blue. I think the Slims and the Super Slims don't have issues with that because I think they went up to SATA 2 and are more power efficient to be able to run a 7200rpm drive.

Honestly, the only reason I would put a SSD in a PS3 is 1) you have one laying around, and it is as big or bigger than the internal HDD, or 2) you play a lot of games with constant loading like Gran Turismo, so having fast read speeds really bumps loads. For your average game that loads environments and levels in the background as you play, a standard HDD is fine and the slight bump in loading time for a SSHD or SSD isn't worth the lack of storage space, maybe up to 30 seconds on the initial load. Even then, people who basically had dedicated PS3's for GT5 still used SSHD's because of the price saved and the extra storage, and it was an even smaller bump from SSHD to SSD, I think I remember it being only a 5-7 second difference for GT5 race load times in whatever video I had watched on the comparisons.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a large zip of all the PS2 box art with the front and back cover? I like using a rotating wallpaper of video game box arts but the only collection I found for the PS2 has the front covers only, which doesn't look right on a widescreen monitor.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Star Man posted:

When PSN for them gets shut down :(

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Went to the last retro game shop I knew of that was somewhat local to me and found this gem:

It was a bit higher than I was considering at 190, but comparable complete sets on eBay are showing for upwards of $200+.

This is probably the only game I would consider buying complete due to personal reasons, but I am super jazzed to find it!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

FireMrshlBill posted:

Many SSD's have their own garbage collection process, which mitigates some issues without having TRIM, so they have no issues in the PS3 unless you do a lot of deleting and installing games. Even then, read speeds won't be effected by lack of trim.

However, putting one in a fat PS3 won't get full utilization since it is a Sata1 bus (though still faster than a HDD). I did have issues in my fat PS3 with trying to use that first gen Momentus XT SSHD, but I think it was because of the power requirement being a 7200rpm. It would stutter on any cut scenes, so I ended up just using a standard WD Blue. I think the Slims and the Super Slims don't have issues with that because I think they went up to SATA 2 and are more power efficient to be able to run a 7200rpm drive.

Honestly, the only reason I would put a SSD in a PS3 is 1) you have one laying around, and it is as big or bigger than the internal HDD, or 2) you play a lot of games with constant loading like Gran Turismo, so having fast read speeds really bumps loads. For your average game that loads environments and levels in the background as you play, a standard HDD is fine and the slight bump in loading time for a SSHD or SSD isn't worth the lack of storage space, maybe up to 30 seconds on the initial load. Even then, people who basically had dedicated PS3's for GT5 still used SSHD's because of the price saved and the extra storage, and it was an even smaller bump from SSHD to SSD, I think I remember it being only a 5-7 second difference for GT5 race load times in whatever video I had watched on the comparisons.

I've had my PS3 Slim for almost six years now, so it's more of a concern of the console's HDD failing. Space has never been an issue even though I don't any physical copies of games anymore. The majority of games on my PS3 are indie titles or PSX and PS2 classics.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Went to the last retro game shop I knew of that was somewhat local to me and found this gem:

It was a bit higher than I was considering at 190, but comparable complete sets on eBay are showing for upwards of $200+.

This is probably the only game I would consider buying complete due to personal reasons, but I am super jazzed to find it!

cool

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I will also note that while the PS3 has serious issues using SSD performance, from the aforementioned encryption chip design issues, a 360 is fully capable of having the official drives replaced with SSD and really using it for some games at the full SATA speed - but it's a pain in the rear end to get any non-official drive set up right if it wasn't one of a few specific hard drive types. So people don't usually bother, as most games aren't designed to really be able to benefit too much.

It's really the current gen Xbox One and PS4 where SSDs are just straight up improvements without the systems' designs bottlenecking them.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

flyboi posted:

I put samducks in my pop'n dao and they're great buttons.. ended up $100ish shipped for them

where did you buy i can't find a vendor anywhere

edit: and hows the noise compared to regular dao buttons

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder who owns the Illbleed IP rights and poo poo

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Phantasium posted:

Alternatively, the Soul Calibur intro except changed so that every segment is Lizardman.

I know this post is a few days old, but I'm happy to see that someone else went out of their way to optimize the Soul Calibur intro.

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Got a LOCA front-lit for sale here if anyone is interested.

Assuming I don't goof this second install I'm nearly done with I'll also be putting up a backlit Game Boy Pocket!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

e: does anybody know what filter Sonic Mania uses for the sharp CRT option? I absolutely hate fake scalines but this is incredible! Why aren't any emulators using this? It makes me think of what it would look like if you played games on one of those gigantic LED billboards. I love it. Why is it unique to this game??
According to dark10xl from Digital Foundry, CRT-Sharp is based on a Sony PVM, while CRT Soft is based on a Commodore 1084. Whether they're using stock shaders for the effect or not, however, I wouldn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Star Man posted:

When PS5 comes out, imo

current gen -> last gen -> retro

• Locked thread