Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

Is this website a scam or something? A bunch of shirts on there that should be licensed but probably aren't and every single shirt I click on says "only 29 left, order within 14 hours!"

Looks like it, you can just get identical ones from Redbubble for cheaper. Just search 'Lego space'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Humphreys posted:

Today I found a box of childhood goodies and it had maybe 12 of those wheels but in white!
You had Ice Planet sets and therefore good taste!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
By the way, those astronauts in the Mars Mission sets are assholes. They've got these things that they pin the Martian down on so they can put them in the orange prison tubes on their ships. You know it's not going to end well for them.

tomapot fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 16, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah the whole mars mission thing is pretty hosed up. like the entire theme of the set is harvesting and enslaving(or worse) the native people of mars

kertap
Mar 13, 2010
Smyths in Ireland are selling the Ninjago boat for €99 so I picked that up today. My wife loved it when she saw it built in the shop so when we saw it at that price I said we should get it. I'm really surprised at the size of it. The box is huge

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

tomapot posted:

I picked up another box of mixed sets from Letgo for $45 a few months ago. Not as great a deal as that last $50 collection (don't think I'll ever beat that). I picked it up for the #4483 AT-AT legs I saw but it had about 30 sets of different types. Besides the typical Star Wars sets it had these hockey guys and Mars Mission sets. The real kicker is this Dino Attack chopper, the thing is massive. Don't think I'm keeping it but it was fun rebuilding it.

Here's the photo from the ad

hockey guys

Mars sets

Bad-rear end helicopter

Man I'm so jelly of these drat deals you find.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

kertap posted:

Smyths in Ireland are selling the Ninjago boat for €99 so I picked that up today. My wife loved it when she saw it built in the shop so when we saw it at that price I said we should get it. I'm really surprised at the size of it. The box is huge

It's only £75 in the UK! might have to splash out on that tomorrow...

Oh, the nearest one is 40 miles away. Never mind.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 16, 2017

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Captain Invictus posted:

yeah the whole mars mission thing is pretty hosed up. like the entire theme of the set is harvesting and enslaving(or worse) the native people of mars

LEGO: Making Mars Great Again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe people are buying the new falcon for almost 2x retail price right now. Nerds are so goddamn stupid they deserve every swirly/wedgie they get in life.

Also gently caress Lego speculators.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

The_Doctor posted:

It's only £75 in the UK! might have to splash out on that tomorrow...

Oh, the nearest one is 40 miles away. Never mind.

Wow, that's a super-good deal! If they can just refrain from putting the price back up for a couple of months I will definitely get it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cojawfee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLmqKBRqyA8

Tested built their MF. It kind of irks me how they rip up the instruction books when they do these builds. I'm really glad I don't want this set, because it's way too big and looks kind of tedious.

It's disappointing that with all those piece and everything that the cockpit is meh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there any advice you guys have for Bricklink? I think I'm doing this poorly. Placed 4 orders today after going kind of crazy with it and I think in the end I just robbed myself on shipping. Whats the best way to find a really good storefront? All of the ones I found had some stuff I wanted but not everything I wanted. What's the best way to approach ordering. I felt like I was in this loop of "ooh I forgot that, and that and that" and then all of a sudden I had another order going. Also, what are they basing shipping prices on? I noticed the cheaper my order was the more the shipping seemed to be. Is it taboo to cancel an order if I think the shipping is too much?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 17, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Often sellers will charge more for shipping for really small(3-5 dollar) orders because of the effort involved in sending out basically nothing vs making a little money sending out like a 15 or 20 dollar order. They'll often require a minimum purchase cost to get less shipping cost, check the store rules to see if they mention it.

Also if it goes over 16 ounces, which is easy with legos, it no longer qualifies for first class mail and gets quite a bit more expensive to ship.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

veni veni veni posted:

Is there any advice you guys have for Bricklink? I think I'm doing this poorly. Placed 4 orders today after going kind of crazy with it and I think in the end I just robbed myself on shipping. Whats the best way to find a really good storefront? All of the ones I found had some stuff I wanted but not everything I wanted. What's the best way to approach ordering. I felt like I was in this loop of "ooh I forgot that, and that and that" and then all of a sudden I had another order going. Also, what are they basing shipping prices on? I noticed the cheaper my order was the more the shipping seemed to be. Is it taboo to cancel an order if I think the shipping is too much?

If you have a lot of parts you want to get, I find it easy to find a store by putting the parts onto a wanted list then use the buy all button to find the store with the largest number of parts on your list.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks guys.

Ugh, my friend found some post on a local community thing where some woman is selling tons of SW stuff for super cheap. He's just relaying stuff to me. Scored 2 extra X Wings for $50 (poe's and the most recent OT one) but that was the worst deal of the bunch. It's kind of crazy though because just a few days ago I was trying to dig up a cheap X-wing to make a modded, more accurate looking one, but I didn't want to gently caress with my existing one cause I like it too much.

Anyways I missed the Ewok village for $60 and all of this for $80 by a matter of minutes...:(

Nothing I really needed there, but I would have loved an extra AT-AT and the parts alone from the other stuff would have been worth it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 17, 2017

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks guys.

Ugh, my friend found some post on a local community thing where some woman is selling tons of SW stuff for super cheap. He's just relaying stuff to me. Scored 2 extra X Wings for $50 (poe's and the most recent OT one) but that was the worst deal of the bunch. It's kind of crazy though because just a few days ago I was trying to dig up a cheap X-wing to make a modded, more accurate looking one, but I didn't want to gently caress with my existing one cause I like it too much.

Anyways I missed the Ewok village for $60 and all of this for $80 by a matter of minutes...:(

Nothing I really needed there, but I would have loved an extra AT-AT and the parts alone from the other stuff would have been worth it.

Man, that's quite the haul. I feel for you.

Trolling facebook marketplace has given a wonderland of used legos. In my relatively well off burbs, most of the kids getting out of legos have taken really good care of them, and have most of the instructions, so even getting box of parts means I can generally get lots of sets and many MOC pieces on the cheap.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oooh, someone on Reddit extended out the dock on the Fishing Shop (and changed the colour of the wood, although they're not crazy about that), and I'm really liking it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Changing the color was dumb. Us extending the dock and adding some water was really a cool and good thing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dalaram posted:

Man, that's quite the haul. I feel for you.

Trolling facebook marketplace has given a wonderland of used legos. In my relatively well off burbs, most of the kids getting out of legos have taken really good care of them, and have most of the instructions, so even getting box of parts means I can generally get lots of sets and many MOC pieces on the cheap.

I have never seen a single item worthy buying off of facebook. This is in the Bay Area, CA. :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

I have never seen a single item worthy buying off of facebook. This is in the Bay Area, CA. :(

You should try out Letgo. The people seem less insane than Craigslist and it's much easier to connect and discuss prices, condition etc. I've never really seen anything good on Facebook either.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.
I found a b-wing box in a closet this morning that I had forgotten I bought. Cracked it open and it's crazy how much better the new sets are as far as packaging, numbered bags, and instructions, I feel like I'm playing one of those spot the difference activities.

During my last move I accidentally partially unassembled my star destroyer and death star 2 sets and now I'm really not looking forward to putting them back together. I built them over ten years ago and still remember how long they took. That was before 3 kids so I have no idea how I'm going to find the time now.

How do you guys organize pieces when you have to reassemble sets? Should I get a bunch of Tupperware bins to organize by shapes/size/color?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

veni veni veni posted:

Whats the best way to find a really good storefront? All of the ones I found had some stuff I wanted but not everything I wanted.
Best in terms of "have everything i want" or best in terms of shipping options?

The first is a matter of using the buttons in the wishlist interface to get a list of stores that have the items you want, and filter the list based on region and "unique lots"

The latter is just a matter of keeping buying orders on Bricklink and finding stores that gives you a good experience. Personally i have a list of 10-15 stores that i check first whenever i want something, because they have given me good experiences in the past (good shipping prices, fast shipping, good communication, etc)

veni veni veni posted:

What's the best way to approach ordering. I felt like I was in this loop of "ooh I forgot that, and that and that" and then all of a sudden I had another order going. Also, what are they basing shipping prices on? I noticed the cheaper my order was the more the shipping seemed to be. Is it taboo to cancel an order if I think the shipping is too much?

As mentioned on in the last few pages, Bricklink sides with the buyers. You are "REQUIRED" to buy something if you place an order. If you want to check what the final price will be there is a "give me a quote" button in the interface where you order. You will then, hopefully, receive a PM on Bricklink fairly fast with what the total cost will be. This takes a lot of guesswork out of figuring out what shipping costs might be. Keep in mind that a lot of BL sellers earn money from packaging fees and ridicilous shipping costs, and are selling their actual Lego at the same price they bought them for, so shipping costs will often seem high'ish.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Now on the MF page

quote:

On Thursday, September 14, the LEGO Group gave its VIP members an opportunity to purchase the LEGO® Star Wars™ Millennium Falcon™. We are thrilled by the positive response to the set, which is the largest we’ve ever released so far. We can assure all our fans around the world, that we are doing everything we can to make more sets available and keep our LEGO builders happy.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's what they said about the Saturn V.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah I think it means that eventually everyone who wants to buy one will be able to, but it’s gonna take a while to do another production run.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Cojawfee posted:

That's what they said about the Saturn V.

Well, to be honest, I did see Saturn reappear briefly once or twice with order button active (I've even posted about it here). So it's probably going to be similar here. In any case I do doubt that the idea between these two sets was to do one run and to never produce more, it's just going to take some months.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The way people treat currently out of stock sets like they are straight up out of production is super weird to me. poo poo will be in production for like 2 years or more. Especially if it sells well. Its not like everyone isn't going to have a chance to get those sets.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Yeah, exactly. Lego never made any indication that these will be some kind of "limited edition" sets, it's just that they (and their website, seemingly) are for some reason incapable to deal with sets that have a demand much higher than usual, so it takes some time to sort it all out. And as I've said, I have personally seen Saturn V become available to buy for a short time at least a couple of times since.

But the cheapest Millennium Falcon on Bricklink is already around $1200 which is about a 50% premium on the actual price (and that's not including shipping, which on a box that size/weight is not going to be a negligible amount). And I'm sure people are buying them for that price, so it's only going to go up until Lego manages to produce more.

I have to say though, it is a bit of an ufortunate timing as I guess it will disrupt at least some people's Christmas present plans.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm going to get the MF next year probably. I need to buy some other poo poo first that's more likely to go out of print (or is already OOP) and I need to save up a bit too.

I have zero doubts I'll be able to buy the MF next year.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.

veni veni veni posted:

The way people treat currently out of stock sets like they are straight up out of production is super weird to me. poo poo will be in production for like 2 years or more. Especially if it sells well. Its not like everyone isn't going to have a chance to get those sets.

Because some of us managed to get Curiosity while others didn't? Lego has been getting better at ensuring things stay in production, but they have not been without some misses.

EDIT: Wow, $100+? I'm glad I have one, but what is causing it to be so expensive, the pieces are not that rare.

Mine GO BOOM fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 18, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Availability of high demand sets has improved massively since curiosity/research institute.

That is, if you're willing to wait 6 months. If you want a set on release day, yeah, you're gonna have issues.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Mine GO BOOM posted:

Because some of us managed to get Curiosity while others didn't? Lego has been getting better at ensuring things stay in production, but they have not been without some misses.

EDIT: Wow, $100+? I'm glad I have one, but what is causing it to be so expensive, the pieces are not that rare.

What actually happened with Curiosity? Did it go out of print quickly and then never come back any more? I guess it was one of the early Ideas sets?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've been wanting to part out Curiosity, and it looks like it's about 41 dollars to do so.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ivantod posted:

What actually happened with Curiosity? Did it go out of print quickly and then never come back any more? I guess it was one of the early Ideas sets?

Yup, that's exactly what happened. I picked one up at a 50% markup on amazon not too long after it came out and at this point I guess it was the right move. I thought it was dumb at the time. I think the delorean had already come out and they made plenty of those, whereas later the research institute came out and either had a small reprint or was also a miss it and it's gone (I got one copy that I gave to my sister who is a scientist as a gift).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dogen posted:

Yup, that's exactly what happened. I picked one up at a 50% markup on amazon not too long after it came out and at this point I guess it was the right move. I thought it was dumb at the time. I think the delorean had already come out and they made plenty of those, whereas later the research institute came out and either had a small reprint or was also a miss it and it's gone (I got one copy that I gave to my sister who is a scientist as a gift).

Doesn't the delorean still have like a 100% premium? I have one still sealed because I bought it on a whim right before a move and just never got around to building it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I bought my Delorean for 88 dollars and now it's 138 dollars. Wow. Though, I'm glad I built it because it's cool.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I have my delorean in my box of mixed bricks because I didn't give a poo poo about it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

88 dollars

Nice

Dogen
May 5, 2002

evobatman posted:

I have my delorean in my box of mixed bricks because I didn't give a poo poo about it.

My wife had to bring hers home from work because it falls apart when people touch it. It’s parked in front of the Kwik E Mart with the Harry Potter flying car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Saturn IVs are available on shop at home US as of 10am EST on Sept 19
If anyone else wants one