Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a current Single Starting Province mod? I wouldn't mind playing a game similar to how Civilization starts, just in the EUIV engine.

You could do a custom-only game and put as many OPM custom nations in the world as you please and give them all a colonist in their traditions.

A mod that does it with historical nations would be interesting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

oddium posted:

me at the year 1520: dang the game's practically over. gotta hustle
That's me, every game.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Getting some great catharsis right now. :allears:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there a formula for how much land/development you have to give an ally after a war to fulfill your 'promise land' vow? I usually toss them a province or two, but for larger countries it makes them break the alliance right afterwards most of the time.

Talky
Mar 26, 2010
I don't know of any formula off the top of my head, but iirc when you're in the peace deal screen you should be able to see a little thumbs up or thumbs down sign next to the flags of your allies who are expecting territory when you're setting up the peace terms. Green means they're happy, red means they're not getting what they expect. I think (but don't know for sure) that that takes into account their war-score contributions and so on

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It has to do with war contribution and how much you are taking for yourself. They want more if they contributed more, and they don't want you taking a ton for yourself and tossing them a 3 dev province or two if they did a good amount of work.
Hover over their flag on the left of the peace deal screen and it should show you how they feel about it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sephyr posted:

Is there a formula for how much land/development you have to give an ally after a war to fulfill your 'promise land' vow? I usually toss them a province or two, but for larger countries it makes them break the alliance right afterwards most of the time.

If you promised an ally land and they have 40% war participation, then they expect at least 40% of the total development taken on the peace screen. So if you take 10 development for yourself, then your ally will expect at least 6 development (40% of 16). Note that if no development is taken on the peace screen then your ally will be satisfied no matter what (because no matter what their participation is, they will have gained N% of 0 development).

But the AI only accepts land that it's interested in. This winds up confusing some players because they want to take a bunch of development for themselves but then aren't able to satisfy the AI with whatever's left, either because the AI is only interested in a few provinces or the AI is interested in the same provinces as the player

A simple formula for how much dev will need to be given to the AI would be ((dev you've taken) / (your war participation)) - (dev you've taken). Then you split up that much development between the AI allies that were promised land in proportion to their relative warscores (so if you have just 1 AI partner they get all of that dev, if there are more than one then you could calculate their contributions relative to each other and split up the additional dev accordingly). This is all way too much work though, just figure out what land they want and start giving them some until they're happy

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 17, 2017

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

So basically "This is the formula except when it's not"

:allears:

This seems to be a trend in EUIV.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The real rule is to tell your greedy bum allies to go pound sand and take all the land for yourself. What are they gonna do about it, break the alliance? If so they are a mere fair weather friend and you can feel no guilt about invading them and stealing their land too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

skasion posted:

The real rule is to tell your greedy bum allies to go pound sand and take all the land for yourself. What are they gonna do about it, break the alliance? If so they are a mere fair weather friend and you can feel no guilt about invading them and stealing their land too.

If you shaft your allies, you'll be completely unable to call in other allies with the promise of territory for the next 10(?) years.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
On the other hand if you can release a country from territory the AI is interested in that will apparently sidestep the entire deal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also worth noting that you only get the penalty if you completely shaft them. If you give them some territory but not as much as they want, you'll lose some trust, but you'll still be able to promise territory in the future.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeAuMaN posted:

So basically "This is the formula except when it's not"

:allears:

This seems to be a trend in EUIV.

No, that's... that's not what I said. If your ally has 40% war score then they want 40% of the dev in a peace deal, period. No exceptions. If you're unable to provide that then they're going to be unsatisfied.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

If you promised an ally land and they have 40% war participation, then they expect at least 40% of the total development taken on the peace screen. So if you take 10 development for yourself, then your ally will expect at least 6 development (40% of 16). Note that if no development is taken on the peace screen then your ally will be satisfied no matter what (because no matter what their participation is, they will have gained N% of 0 development).

But the AI only accepts land that it's interested in. This winds up confusing some players because they want to take a bunch of development for themselves but then aren't able to satisfy the AI with whatever's left, either because the AI is only interested in a few provinces or the AI is interested in the same provinces as the player

A simple formula for how much dev will need to be given to the AI would be ((dev you've taken) / (your war participation)) - (dev you've taken). Then you split up that much development between the AI allies that were promised land in proportion to their relative warscores (so if you have just 1 AI partner they get all of that dev, if there are more than one then you could calculate their contributions relative to each other and split up the additional dev accordingly). This is all way too much work though, just figure out what land they want and start giving them some until they're happy

This isn't entirely accurate. The AI should be content if you give it everything it wants, even if it's not fulfilling their war participation. This is the intended behavior and the way it works most of the time. However, there are some bugs relating to this process that makes it so they won't accept certain provinces even if they want them, such as how the AI won't accept coreable provinces across water tiles under certain conditions, even if they want them. There are probably other issues, as well. I believe any time when you give an ally everything they'll accept but they're still dissatisfied is a result of a bug.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This isn't entirely accurate. The AI should be content if you give it everything it wants, even if it's not fulfilling their war participation. This is the intended behavior and the way it works most of the time. However, there are some bugs relating to this process that makes it so they won't accept certain provinces even if they want them, such as how the AI won't accept coreable provinces across water tiles under certain conditions, even if they want them. There are probably other issues, as well. I believe any time when you give an ally everything they'll accept but they're still dissatisfied is a result of a bug.

In my experience, if you give them everything they'll accept but they're still unsatisfied then it's because you're just taking too much for yourself; in these situations I've been able to satisfy the ally by reducing my own takings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe I'm conflating it with another issue. It's definitely possible to have them be unsatisfied because they won't accept land they actually want.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah there's definitely an issue where they'll refuse land that they've marked as interesting, it's unclear to me what additional factors may be at play there. But the %warscore * development requirement seems to be ironclad, so you give them as much development as they are willing to accept and then that determines how much development you are allowed to take without penalty (which can sometimes be 0)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

Also worth noting that you only get the penalty if you completely shaft them. If you give them some territory but not as much as they want, you'll lose some trust, but you'll still be able to promise territory in the future.

Yeah the pro strat is just giving your ally 1 province you don't really care about, they might lose trust but you don't get the "you didn't actually give us land" penalty which makes it impossible promise land for a decade. This lets you rotate alliances fairly effectively.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always have to brag about beating the Big Blue Blob.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Fister Roboto posted:

I always have to brag about beating the Big Blue Blob.

How the heck did Provence get over there? Inherited Brittany?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i'm pretty sure you can core off of personal union partners like you can with vassals and lorraine starts under a pu with provence

e: oh i read that as inherited Burgundy. provence starts over there

oddium fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 17, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Provence starts over there because they're ruled by the Duc d'Anjou

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be really cool if colonial nations would stop consistently underestimating the strength of native tribes, getting their asses kicked, and losing a ton of MY land.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

skasion posted:

Provence starts over there because they're ruled by the Duc d'Anjou

Take it from me, ducks make the best dukes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the way to get the Auld Alliance achievement, and I managed to snag Ruina Imperii. The HRE is gone.

Now I just need to gobble up Europe before the Ottomans or Russia do.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

What is the optimal colonial strategy for western European colonizers?

I'm thinking:

1) Any and all Centers of trade
2) As much Caribbean as you can
3) Form CNs if catholic to force out other catholics via ToT
4) Keep building CNs in valuable trade nodes you can chain
5) Get CNs to 10 provinces for merchants

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Take the Caribbean first to get ToT on it, then shift focus to the Ivory Coast and western African coastline until you've sealed the whole thing off, which'll give you free reign over Asia for centuries until the colonial range techs eventually catch up. In the meantime you can split your attention between both, making colonial nations in the valuable bits of the Americas and optimizing your trade routes from the Spice Islands with trade companies and so on.

Might be a little harder to balance both theatres with just 2 colonists (I haven't done a colonial run since they nerfed expansion into the ground) but you're really missing half the point of it if you go exclusively for the Americas.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rapner posted:

I'm thinking:

If possible, try to vassalize Castille and/or Portugal so that they colonize a ton of land for you.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

AnoHito posted:

If possible, try to vassalize Castille and/or Portugal so that they colonize a ton of land for you.

I'm playing as Castile, going to take 2 wars to chop Portugal down to vassalization size. I plan to take the two centers of trade, but worry about cutting them too small to colonize.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
They should be fine as their land is very rich. If they're not colonising and you suspect it's because they're too small you could always subsidise them and they'll happily use the income from that to do it. This is also a great way to get your colonial nations to colonise.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Rapner posted:

I'm playing as Castile, going to take 2 wars to chop Portugal down to vassalization size. I plan to take the two centers of trade, but worry about cutting them too small to colonize.

Remember to wait until Portugal has picked exploration ideas before vassalising them as they won't do it as a subject.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Rapner posted:

I'm thinking:

You will probably want to get your colonial nations to size 5 pretty quickly since that will allow you to take over huge swathes of land for no coring cost (to you). Peru and Mexico are pretty densely populated and have gold and silver.

There's no diplo cost for unjustified demands for nations in the Americas, either. You can gobble up entire nations as long as you're able to keep liberty desire in check.

Definitely agree that the way to make real money is racing to Africa then through to Asia. If you can control Malaysia/Indonesia/Borneo and the chain that takes that West then you've won the game.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Aragone game forming Spain and keeping the Aragone ideas.

Goal to take all the Mediterranean Sea coast land, missed by some of that Austria owns, would of taken it in a few years. I also took some of India to form a trade company. I also killed the UK revolution taking Ireland as loot.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
give it to me straight, doc. do i have time for Gold Rush?

My only ally is Poland, who I almost have 10 favors with. I think I can take Muscowy on this time, but I'm afraid that I can't take all the provinces I need in one war, and with truce timers and all I don't think I have time for two complete wars before 1500.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Just truce break, Poland won't join round 2 but if you stomp Muscovy hard enough it shouldn't matter. Don't forget to get your neighbours to good relations so you don't accidentally trigger a coalition.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Playing Sweden for the first time, what's the strat for getting out from under Denmark? I'm trying to get people to support independence, but so far Denmark + allies is waaayyyyy more troops than I have. My only supporter is England who I assume will keep all their troops on Ireland or wherever and never help.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Tendronai posted:

Just truce break, Poland won't join round 2 but if you stomp Muscovy hard enough it shouldn't matter. Don't forget to get your neighbours to good relations so you don't accidentally trigger a coalition.

I'm always scared of trucebreaking if I'm not already a powerhouse, but I guess since there's not a lot of other Orthodox nations to worry about and Mucovy doesn't have any friends to speak of, I should be okay.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Playing Sweden for the first time, what's the strat for getting out from under Denmark? I'm trying to get people to support independence, but so far Denmark + allies is waaayyyyy more troops than I have. My only supporter is England who I assume will keep all their troops on Ireland or wherever and never help.

Sweden is my fav to play. Just keep on checking who Denmark's rivals are, and try to improve relations to get them to support you. Since you have support now you can declare Independence when Denmark is at war. wait for them to get in a big fight. Make Gallies to block their capital 100% and sit on the Providences that are on Scandinavia and it will block them form reinforcing.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Uziduke posted:

Sweden is my fav to play. Just keep on checking who Denmark's rivals are, and try to improve relations to get them to support you. Since you have support now you can declare Independence when Denmark is at war. wait for them to get in a big fight. Make Gallies to block their capital 100% and sit on the Providences that are on Scandinavia and it will block them form reinforcing.

Ok cool, that's basically what I'm waiting for. Just chilling until they blunder and fight someone. Going to build more Galleys though, didn't even think about blocking their dudes (which are all currently sitting right on my border).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

rad idea: global chat channel

• Locked thread