Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like Templar and Skirmishers get chumped so hard by Mutons that they are permanent B squad allstars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

kater posted:

I feel like Templar and Skirmishers get chumped so hard by Mutons that they are permanent B squad allstars.

Eh, Mutons are prevalent in the mid game but basically cease to exist in the late game.

And even in the mid game there are plenty of other targets

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I really dislike the supply crate missions

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Play the supply crate missions as a "kill all ayys" mission and you'll do fine. You pick up any supplies still on the map at the end. Another way to think about it is if any crates make it out, that they were destroyed by an errant grenade or explosion in the other supply raid missions.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Taffer posted:

I really dislike the supply crate missions

I like them now that I have the bugfix mod that lets you keep any crates you obtained if you EVAC out.

I would not have gotten anything out of my last supply raid if I hadn't. Oh hey, it's the Hunter on a Lost mission. Oh hey, he rolled Brittle and Immune to Melee, and is surrounding himself with a literal army of Lost that he keeps summoning with his loving grenades! There are so many my computer is running at 15 FPS! :argh:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

kater posted:

Skirmishers really don't get chumped by Mutons since they can actually shoot and do other stuff.

Templar get stuffed pretty hard though.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

kater posted:

I ran into like, no Mutons in my Veteran campaign. (Yeah I suck.) I think they mostly got replaced by loving Heavy MECs. As a fought a million of those. And by the time I really started running into Mutons, they then got replaced by Spectres. They and Vipers were some of my rarest enemies fought that weren't things like Gatekeepers.

Stuffed-wise, the Skirmisher is just fine. The Templar is the main one hurt by needing to go pistoling.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

kater posted:

Mecs are more dangerous than mutons imo.

Templars are sword rangers without the shotgun. I like them now but I had to adjust how I used them.

I've never thought "man I wish I had a skirmisher right now".

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

temple posted:

I have. They're unbelievably useful in pitched battles. You can just take move after move after move.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

temple posted:

Templars are sword rangers without the shotgun. I like them now but I had to adjust how I used them.

Ironically Skirmishers absolutely chump MECs with ionic ripjacks. Auto-shutdown, and they can whiplash them for 13/18 damage as a free action.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

temple posted:

I agree with what the others say about Skirmishers. I had a few missions won on their backs.

Also, I agree 100% about MECs. You know what made the Assassin stronghold mission the hardest of the three by far?

Assassin had Mechlord.

Warlock had Lancer one.

Hunter had the priest one.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Please reveal the skirmisher secret. Their abilities can miss (including the whiplash) so idgi.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Templars are a lot better if you don't save all their focus for a rainy day. They have a lot of powerful abilities that aren't stabbing. If you think Templars are bad, sell all your elixers you'll never use them anyway.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I've found Skirmishers to be amazing because they have a great base aim, two attacks, the ability to use their two attacks thanks to grapple. The two attacks is essentially Salvo for free too. Justice is okay, Bladestorm is great, and the additional action is pretty good.

Templars mostly seem to be a worse blademaster. Do one lovely melee attack per turn, and after you've done one or two you get to do a lovely ranged attack that might if you're lucky affect more than one person. I haven't yet got a chance to use Invert or the Colonel abilities though, they seem pretty good.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
First time playing WotC, I managed to get an upgraded Psi Lab up and running in the first week of May. So far so good.
One of the two recruits currently in wizard school decided to take the short route to absolute power and rolled Stasis as her first ability, then followed that up with Null Lance and Domination.
Acolyte Abebi Mabaso will soon go forth to rule the world.

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.

temple posted:

Please reveal the skirmisher secret. Their abilities can miss (including the whiplash) so idgi.

Mine is a monster when it comes to demolishing lost. Superior Loader and Expanded Mag, Wraith into the middle of the pack, and mow them down. With an ionic ripjack, I stun locked the archon king for five reactions with retribution. They are amazing.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
How do you code a turn based strategy game on top of ue3 that makes a gtx 1080 run red hot jfc

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

gonadic io posted:

Templars mostly seem to be a worse blademaster. Do one lovely melee attack per turn, and after you've done one or two you get to do a lovely ranged attack that might if you're lucky affect more than one person. I haven't yet got a chance to use Invert or the Colonel abilities though, they seem pretty good.
Amplify makes targets take 33% more damage, both of the location-switching abilities are niche but great when that niche is necessary, they have a version of Stasis that is limited to humanoid targets but allows you to attack the target, damages the target, and heals the Templar, and an AoE attack that generates Focus too. Their melee attacks are AoE, they can be functionally immune to a single attack a turn, and they have innate dodge/reflect chances to further up their survivability and damage.

I didn't really use the location-switching abilities but I should have. Pull an enemy out of cover and right next to your allies while you can still use Rend, pull an ally into cover/flanking position while still being able to attack, etc. They're very, very powerful.

e: Skip Volt completely, its poo poo and a waste of Focus. Just use your pistol if you don't want to use the Rend/Parry combo. Honestly, Volt should be their default ranged attack with less damage at baseline and skip the pistol entirely.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Wizard Styles posted:

First time playing WotC, I managed to get an upgraded Psi Lab up and running in the first week of May. So far so good.
One of the two recruits currently in wizard school decided to take the short route to absolute power and rolled Stasis as her first ability, then followed that up with Null Lance and Domination.
Acolyte Abebi Mabaso will soon go forth to rule the world.

I personally don't consider my psi ops combat ready until they learn both Domination and Fortress.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Justice often explode cars it passes through so it can be used as a ghetto Remote Start if the target is lined up :v:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Ravenfood posted:

Amplify makes targets take 33% more damage, both of the location-switching abilities are niche but great when that niche is necessary, they have a version of Stasis that is limited to humanoid targets but allows you to attack the target, damages the target, and heals the Templar, and an AoE attack that generates Focus too. Their melee attacks are AoE, they can be functionally immune to a single attack a turn, and they have innate dodge/reflect chances to further up their survivability and damage.

I didn't really use the location-switching abilities but I should have. Pull an enemy out of cover and right next to your allies while you can still use Rend, pull an ally into cover/flanking position while still being able to attack, etc. They're very, very powerful.

e: Skip Volt completely, its poo poo and a waste of Focus. Just use your pistol if you don't want to use the Rend/Parry combo. Honestly, Volt should be their default ranged attack with less damage at baseline and skip the pistol entirely.

Volt can holo target an entire pod and does extra damage to psi enemies.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

I personally don't consider my psi ops combat ready until they learn both Domination and Fortress.

Seriously?

As long as mine have Stasis they're pretty much good to go.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Volt can holo target an entire pod and does extra damage to psi enemies.
Huh. I missed it doing extra damage to psi enemies, but by the time you can chain to the max of 3 targets, you're at least a Captain and probably have a better use for 3 Focus, even with the Holotarget effect. I also found that Templar made such a great finisher that I tended to move/use them absolutely last, which doesn't work as well for the Holotarget effect. I thought it'd be really useful but was really underwhelmed by Volt in general.

e: I never used Pillar or Stun Strike and I think I should probably try them out.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 17, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Did the advent tower mission and got a turret wreck. I finally make a defense matrix :rolleyes:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Ravenfood posted:

Huh. I missed it doing extra damage to psi enemies, but by the time you can chain to the max of 3 targets, you're at least a Captain and probably have a better use for 3 Focus, even with the Holotarget effect. I also found that Templar made such a great finisher that I tended to move/use them absolutely last, which doesn't work as well for the Holotarget effect. I thought it'd be really useful but was really underwhelmed by Volt in general.

e: I never used Pillar or Stun Strike and I think I should probably try them out.

Using volt at three focus hits three targets but still only costs one focus. I would use volt on gatekeeper pods to make sure shredding attacks wouldn't miss. Templar's biggest weakness is they have too many ways to kick rear end to choose from.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Not using parry makes Templars a lot more balanced since they can't just rend everything and then parry without a care in the world. You actually have to use them more strategically. I've been in plenty of situations where I used volt over rend.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I had never seen reflect proc on any templar across multiple games (mostly because they almost never got shot more than once with parry active). Then today I was doing the assassin stronghold and my templar gets mind controlled by a priest, and his bondmate sharpshooter goes berzerk and lights him the gently caress up with the shadowkeeper, three shots. The last one gets reflected leaving my templar with 4HP (and my sharpshooter with 5), so.... it does work when poo poo gets down to the wire, thank god. My templar is my highest rank and I think the campaign would have simply ended right there if he had died, everything is so close to the wire on legendary.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The game has given me so many guys at this point I kind of wish I could fire people.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I really wish the story stuff wasn't tied to the stupid tutorial.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

marshmallow creep posted:

The game has given me so many guys at this point I kind of wish I could fire people.

You can btw

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I never have enough people for covert ops purposes.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Reapers are for scouting, blowing up an initial pod with a claymore + grenade combo, and do respectable damage

You want to get a laser sight on them

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Have to agree with the guy that says Mutons really screw with Skirmishers and Templars. At least if they're not high enough in levels to get some of their later abilities. I must have been spreadin out levels too much or something cause my team was not ready at all for Mutons. Once they started showing up, they became the dominant force in my game for some odd reason. Literally every pod was one or two mutons for a long while. Basically makes it so you can't melee anything with either of them which removes a lot of their early level abilities.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

oswald ownenstein posted:

Reapers are for scouting, blowing up an initial pod with a claymore + grenade combo, and do respectable damage

You want to get a laser sight on them

Extended Mag + Repeater. Banish whole pods.

Laser sights are only if they get the third upgrade slot.

edit: Jesus, kinetic plating + regeneration on your first chosen means you might as well restart on the first retaliation. Oh, and his weaknesses are a faction I haven't contacted yet and groundling.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 18, 2017

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ahahaha the Warlock lands on a third-storey rooftop and wants me to fight him like Shredder or something, but my Templar reaps 3/4 of his squad of summoned troopers climbing the building before taking him out with Bladestorm the next turn. This game has better emergent action than The Defenders had choreography.

Between Brittle and his faction weakness she does 20 damage at full focus :catstare:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Deuce posted:

edit: Jesus, kinetic plating + regeneration on your first chosen means you might as well restart on the first retaliation. Oh, and his weaknesses are a faction I haven't contacted yet and groundling.

Kinetic plating + low profile, my guy

temple fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 18, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Deuce posted:

I've never seen the first Chosen spawn with a faction weakness that wasn't your starting one. You sure that actually happened?

Regardless you're right about that being the worst set of rolls. Groundling is such a pointless "weakness" when almost every other weakness makes the Chosen take more damage. Groundling just gives you a better hit chance despite having harder criteria to meet than the others.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
I was trying to think of a home rule set of my own because I recognize that XCOM is balanced around loss and failure. Those are things you are meant to experience, but at the same time, I'm poo poo at the game and get frustrated. I was weighing ironman versus leaving saves open and trusting myself not to scum unless something super bad happened.

I think I found a decent middle ground though. I found a mod that makes it so that soldiers don't instantly die, they always go into a bleeding out state (except with Cryssalid Venom) ala Left 4 Dead or Borderlands. I think this plus ironman would give me something like what I want. A chance to recover from lovely situations, and a chance to lose people.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Is there are a new version of stay with me perk? All my soldiers died, never got a bleed out in WOTC so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

temple posted:

Is there are a new version of stay with me perk? All my soldiers died, never got a bleed out in WOTC so far.
Its a Templar order now, iirc.