Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just got the second upgrade for stealth while beginning my trek in the arboretum and holy poo poo stealth game is good. I also get yelled at for upgrading the silenced pistol. Not like I've got much else to use these kits on until I get gunsmith 2.
FWIW, you're pretty close to being able to get a version of the silenced pistol that's slightly better than the ones lying around the station so holding off on spending more kits might not be a bad idea. But like you said, not really a gamebreaker either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The game throws just so many weapon upgrade kits at you as long as you're looking around anyways.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

So, what happens if you simply murder everyone as soon as you see them, including January? Like I get that you lose side quests and poo poo but January keeps you on the plot the whole game so if you murder them right away what happens?

You still get all the plot related quests showing up in your log. Most critical information is actually relayed by people you can't kill right away like Danielle and Alex, so things keep chugging along regardless. Then you get a little Easter egg when Dahl shows up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

aniviron posted:

I'm pretty sure they establish that Talos is at the Earth-Moon L1 Lagrange point, meaning it's stable between the earth and the Moon. Given that this is the case, the moon should always be a stationary frame of reference out of the window because the orbital period is stable and synchronous with the moon. Disclaimer: I am not an astronomer, and I am preeeettty sure that it says somewhere Talos is at Lagrange L1, but there is a real possibility that I am wrong here.

From the Lobby you can see the Earth and the Moon from a single window... so it's definitely at L2. So you should always be seeing the far side of the moon

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

From the Lobby you can see the Earth and the Moon from a single window... so it's definitely at L2. So you should always be seeing the far side of the moon
I can't remember the window specifically right now, but if they're far enough off-angle from each other you could be at L4 or L5. If you're at L2, shouldn't the moon be almost directly between the station and the Earth, forming a constant eclipse?

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
so the " escape in alex's escape pod" secret ending sort of gave away the ending early on , but in a way that only made sense once I actually finished the game proper . There are so many clever touches in the game the sloppy stuff is easily forgivable .

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I couldn't remember if you could see the earth, but if you can in the same angle then yeah you're definitely not at L1, and as Ravenfood says, not L2 either.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I can't remember the window specifically right now, but if they're far enough off-angle from each other you could be at L4 or L5. If you're at L2, shouldn't the moon be almost directly between the station and the Earth, forming a constant eclipse?

Here's the view as you exit Neuromods at the start of the game:

The station is definitely orbiting L2. L4 and L5 are along the Moon's orbit, but the view from the lobby places the station beyond the Moon's orbit.

When scientists say that an object is "at" an L1 or L2 Lagrange point we really mean that it's in a halo orbit around that Lagrange point in a plane perpendicular to the line connecting the Moon and the Earth (it's called a halo orbit because it's like the object is tracing out a little halo above the Moon). This not only reduces the number of required orbital corrections (saving valuable fuel) but in the case of L2 it would also make it possible for the station (or the satellite) to communicate with the Earth. That is what you see in this screenshot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

fwiw

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Here's the view as you exit Neuromods at the start of the game:

The station is definitely orbiting L2. L4 and L5 are along the Moon's orbit, but the view from the lobby places the station beyond the Moon's orbit.

When scientists say that an object is "at" an L1 or L2 Lagrange point we really mean that it's in a halo orbit around that Lagrange point in a plane perpendicular to the line connecting the Moon and the Earth (it's called a halo orbit because it's like the object is tracing out a little halo above the Moon). This not only reduces the number of required orbital corrections (saving valuable fuel) but in the case of L2 it would also make it possible for the station (or the satellite) to communicate with the Earth. That is what you see in this screenshot.
Huh, thanks, I didn't realize the halo orbit could be that large or, really, that it existed. I thought you had to stay pretty drat close to the points. Neat!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I remember the moon doesn't move across the sky but the earth does. So I would assume it means the station is just orbiting the moon and is rotating such that it's tidally locked to it. If it's orbiting an L point then neither body should move much, or both should move the same way as the station rotates. And it does rotate because the sun tracks right around the lobby if you stay there long enough.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thread continues to be gold by teaching me about orbital mechanics. The halo orbits are cool and make quite a bit of sense for anything that would be at Earth-Moon L2. At this point though I guess it makes the most sense for the station to be in the moon's orbit if we're basing it off the celestial bodies we can see.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

If I remember the moon doesn't move across the sky but the earth does. So I would assume it means the station is just orbiting the moon and is rotating such that it's tidally locked to it. If it's orbiting an L point then neither body should move much, or both should move the same way as the station rotates. And it does rotate because the sun tracks right around the lobby if you stay there long enough.

I found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauIpEA_3jc

In-game it seems that the station doesn't orbit a Lagrange point at all, rather it orbits a point somewhere near one of the Moon's poles, which makes no sense at all and is completely unphysical (for the 2-body and 3-body problems). Clearly Alex fudged the orbital mechanics in the simulation

In-game documents say it's at L2, which matches what you see when you first enter the lobby and is a sensible spot to put a space station.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 18, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Like I said earlier, I am no astrophysicist, but that orbit... yeah. I guess it's one of those things, what's accurate is not always what looks cool, which is also why the Earth is gigantic compared to what it should look like.

I'm just gonna pretend it's at L2 like the in-game stuff says.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

I found this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JauIpEA_3jc

In-game it seems that the station doesn't orbit a Lagrange point at all, rather it orbits a point somewhere near one of the Moon's poles, which makes no sense at all and is completely unphysical (for the 2-body and 3-body problems). Clearly Alex fudged the orbital mechanics in the simulation

In-game documents say it's at L2, which matches what you see when you first enter the lobby and is a sensible spot to put a space station.

Yeah tidally locked lunar orbit but for some reason perpetually above the equator.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
The game materials also make reference to anti grav technology in one of the magazines. Which also allows them to have 1g and microgravity sections and transitions in the same station. It's also the same tech that the operators use to fly/hover.
So, really, they can have any orbit/location they want, they've got enough power for the moving of the station/station keeping and then some.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gadzuko posted:

Then you get a little Easter egg when Dahl shows up.

do tell

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah tidally locked lunar orbit but for some reason perpetually above the equator.

It's not tidally locked; that would mean that only one side of the Moon is ever facing the station (much like how only one side of the Moon is ever facing the Earth), but that's not the case

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

he's like "oh you did my job for me, let's team up and murder these last couple of dudes" and gives you access to a room with survivors in IT that is otherwise inaccessible.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Basic Chunnel posted:

he's like "oh you did my job for me, let's team up and murder these last couple of dudes" and gives you access to a room with survivors in IT that is otherwise inaccessible.

awesome thanks. was plannng to do a murder run next now that I've finished the newest dishonored

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

It's not tidally locked; that would mean that only one side of the Moon is ever facing the station (much like how only one side of the Moon is ever facing the Earth), but that's not the case

No, one side of the station is always facing the moon, one side of the moon always facing the station would be lunarstationary orbit.

I mean obviously the station isn't actually tidally locked because it's far too small for that but it's been put in an artificial matching rotation with identical effect.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 18, 2017

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Basic Chunnel posted:

Question - if you escape in the shuttle (on a non-murder run), do those guys magically get out as well or do they get left behind to be blown up? Shuttle display said I had 32 survivors at the end and I was trying to do the mental math, but then some of Elazar's people unceremoniously die offscreen on their way from the cargo bay and I wasn't sure how many, so i couldn't work it out.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I'm having issues playing this on a PS4 pro - every object that shines and a lot of environmental animations (computer screens, doors, breaking objects) hitch like crazy. Like the closet door in the bedroom at the beginning of the game has five frames for it opening, just jumping between them. I've deleted and reinstalled, the game and PS4 are up to date, starting a new game, online/offline, nothing has made a difference. Can't find anything about it online either, it's all old information about the problems pre 1.05. It's not game breaking but it's present everywhere and super distracting.

e: Tried switching boost mode on and off as well, no change. Here's a couple videos of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN5BET-9u_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thW4cfy8724

kiss me Pikachu fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 18, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

kiss me Pikachu posted:

I'm having issues playing this on a PS4 pro - every object that shines and a lot of environmental animations (computer screens, doors, breaking objects) hitch like crazy. Like the closet door in the bedroom at the beginning of the game has five frames for it opening, just jumping between them. I've deleted and reinstalled, the game and PS4 are up to date, starting a new game, online/offline, nothing has made a difference. Can't find anything about it online either, it's all old information about the problems pre 1.05. It's not game breaking but it's present everywhere and super distracting.

dude that sucks. I mean, that's the main reason I got a console, so I didn't have to deal with downloading drivers or tweaking settings and whatnot.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I haven't experienced that, and I'm on a vanilla PS4. (Don't have an eye for graphical polish either, to be fair, though 5 frames per second sounds like something even I would notice.)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So i read the beginning of the thread and there was mention of a way to go through the game that wasn't obvious. What was it in the end, no needles run?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

dogstile posted:

So i read the beginning of the thread and there was mention of a way to go through the game that wasn't obvious. What was it in the end, no needles run?

nah. be a total bastard, is basically what it was about.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Just got to the bridge, not sure where to go for some of these side quests yet. Cystoid nests can eat poo poo good they're annoying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Just got to the bridge, not sure where to go for some of these side quests yet. Cystoid nests can eat poo poo good they're annoying.

try nerf gun. Or kinetic blast. Or gloo gun on the cysts themselves.

And I'm pretty sure you get a good navigation tool for finding the location for side quests. Usually involves hunting down a corpse through the security stations.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I've been glooing the poo poo out of them, they're just obnoxious.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Just pick up random junk and throw them at the nests.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What gives with the power supply in the water treatment plant? I fixed the electrical junction and it's still showing me empty batteries everywhere. TBH I think I found everything there already, I just need a way to check this dude's computer.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Rangpur posted:

What gives with the power supply in the water treatment plant? I fixed the electrical junction and it's still showing me empty batteries everywhere. TBH I think I found everything there already, I just need a way to check this dude's computer.

Did you press the button to turn the power on?

The one at the main desk, by the door by the entrance?

You can't do the whole reason to even visit that area (the psychic water quest) without turning the power on, I don't think. So definitely do that. Took my like an hour to figure out where the button was when I played, most frustrating part of the whole game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I've been glooing the poo poo out of them, they're just obnoxious.

Level 1 thermal will take out the nest and all the spawned things in one shot.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
You can actually still do the Psi Water quest with the power off, but it involves jumping/gliding or mimic'ing an Operator to get into the office in question: you can shoot out a window pane in the office the spigot is in to gain access, and the spigot apparently works without power.

I found that out by forgetting where the power switch was during my 3rd runthrough. :downs:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Did you press the button to turn the power on?

The one at the main desk, by the door by the entrance?
I think it is obvious that I did.

(I just didn't notice until you pointed out because I had Leverage III to force open the doors, and for whatever weird reason you can get psychic water fountains even without restoring power.)

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

QuietLion posted:

You can actually still do the Psi Water quest with the power off, but it involves jumping/gliding or mimic'ing an Operator to get into the office in question: you can shoot out a window pane in the office the spigot is in to gain access, and the spigot apparently works without power.

I found that out by forgetting where the power switch was during my 3rd runthrough. :downs:

You can also get in without leverage 3 even if you gloo-stair your way outside to the top catwalk to a maintenance hatch that lets out to the above catwalks.

If you explored the entire upstairs it's basically the best first place to stop as soon as you can so you can get that sweet, sweet purple juice flowing to annihilate your enemies.

VVVV Edit: Dunk your useless psi hypos into sweet, delicious exotics and shove more needles in your brain, obviously.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 18, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH this psi water quest thing never triggered for me but I still had infinite healthkits and psi hypos on nightmare mode so I can't imagine it being very useful.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

What's a good source of synthetic material? That seems to be the real sticking point when it comes to fabrication. I finally got the Q-Beam all the way upgraded but making the ammo is another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DelphiAegis posted:

VVVV Edit: Dunk your useless psi hypos into sweet, delicious exotics and shove more needles in your brain, obviously.

I already had more exotics than I could use, I was low on minerals enough that I piled dead operators into heaps and used all my recycler grenades to get more minerals out of them.