Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

No Wave posted:

A few wow fans seem to think garrosh is a proper badass and not a short bald guy who yells a lot and can't do anything right.

They're the people who watched the Siege of Orgimmar launch trailer and missed the entire rest of the "colonialism and fascism are bad" message of MoP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No Wave posted:

A few wow fans seem to think garrosh is a proper badass and not a short bald guy who yells a lot and can't do anything right.

I'll have you know that Garrosh did nothing wrong.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

At least now we know that our Orc Arms Warrior fantasy will be fulfilled by the decidedly superior specimen, my good friend High Overlord Saurfang. Just lol if you think Orcs are over-represented.

So what does the Mourne Dead Son heroic do, anyway?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I like the character, and the way they have him constantly talking is really funny. His personality came through well and I think they did a really good job with him. My only complaint about this year's releases is KT and Malthael getting insta-res abilities - I think it's kind of obnoxious without even being very fun for the user.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 18, 2017

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

So what does the Mourne Dead Son heroic do, anyway?

Blinds Jaina.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
Hello friends I wanted to tell you about the hilarious QM game I just played. I was Garrosh, and on my team were Stitches and Alarak. We committed to teamfights by grabbing one of them from range and never letting go. It was a hilarious good time, would recommend.

Thanks for reading.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Cuntellectual posted:

Throw axe, spin, bad touch for q, w, e. Eat heart for R1, Iron Star for R2. Trait is who cares.

And I've pointed out before that this kit has no synergy of any description.

Like, exactly what the gently caress do you even mean by "bad touch", the tank debuff or the mind control? Because like gently caress are they gonna give a character a mind control as a basic ability. The Q and W are both huge raid boss abilities that would not translate well at all to HotS, and "Eat Heart" is totally meaningless. The fact you can't even come up with a trait speaks to how poorly this kit would work.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 18, 2017

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I watched this video of Grubby playing The Lost Vikings, took a deep breath, and started playing them in QM. I'm currently 12-6. It's fascinating how I am credited/blamed for however the match is going. If we're winning people say they're happy to see someone who's actually good at Vikings. If we're losing people ask why everyone who plays Vikings sucks and tell me to uninstall the game. So far my favorite game was this victory on Battlefield of Eternity:

I wasn't MVP but four people voted for me :unsmith:

Gobbeldygook fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 18, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I love the idea of getting good at TLV, but I am terrible at RTSes, multitasking, and HotS. :smith:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

John Murdoch posted:

I love the idea of getting good at TLV, but I am terrible at RTSes, multitasking, and HotS. :smith:

Perfect, slam pick them in every game.

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Just play one then and leave the other two in the base. Legally you are not AFK

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

And I've pointed out before that this kit has no synergy of any description.

Like, exactly what the gently caress do you even mean by "bad touch", the tank debuff or the mind control? Because like gently caress are they gonna give a character a mind control as a basic ability. The Q and W are both huge raid boss abilities that would not translate well at all to HotS, and "Eat Heart" is totally meaningless. The fact you can't even come up with a trait speaks to how poorly this kit would work.

"B...But how do they combo!?" is possibly the worst argument you could have made. God forbid that you need to think about how to use a hero's abilities instead of just facerolling them in succesion. There's even heroes in HotS like that (Ragnaros, Medivh, Zul'Jin) already.

"Both huge raid boss abilities" is completely meaningless. I guess we better take Remorseless Winter off of Arthas and Gravity Lapse off of Kael, then.

I didn't go into further detail about how they would work because why would I bother, but if it makes you happy:

Q:Garrosh throws his axe at a target area, damaging enemies for X then emitting an aura that does Y damage for Z seconds. Enemies can attack the axe to lower it's duration.
W: Garrosh briefly winds up then unleashes waves of energy (in a star pattern, perhaps). Damage to enemy heroes is increased by up to 200% the closer they are to Garrosh.
E: Touch of Y'Shaarj: Target enemy is slowed and takes damage over time. Spreads to nearby enemies.

R1: Heart of Y'Shaarj: Garrosh gains empowered abilities. Q: Axe has larger AoE, can't be destroyed. W: Each enemy hero hit creates a Sha that chases the closest enemy hero, exploding for X damage after 2 seconds. E:
R2: Iron Star: Summons an Iron Star that can be charged for up to 3 seconds, then rolls forward in a line. Each second it charges, it's damage is increased. It explodes on impact with an enemy hero, dealing X damage.

D: Battle Rage: Each time Garrosh takes non-periodic damage from a hero, structure or mercenary, his movement speed is increased. Capped at 25% faster.

His spells don't neatly combo into each other, but area denial makes it easier to fire his W at people.

And an alternative set of skills that would let him still be a tank, but with the actual abilities he uses:

Q: Same deal.
W: Instead of dealing more damage, it knocks enemies back.
E: Afflicted enemies do less damage, unless they're attacking Garrosh.

R1: Grants armor. Q AoE slows, W pulls enemies in instead of knocking them back, E reduces their damage even more to other enemies as well as to Garrosh (by a lower amount).
R2: Same as before.

D: His current one works.

But unfortunately Blizzard was lined up for a tank next and slapped a random set of skills onto Garrosh. :rip:

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Honestly when I play Garrosh, I don't use unstoppable to break/immunize CC, but to make the word "UNSTOPPABLE" appear over my head whenever I do something badass.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

SirSamVimes posted:

Perfect, slam pick them in every game.
Yeah! Look at it like this: either you'll fail to disappoint your team mates (by being exactly as poo poo at TLV as they think everybody is), or you'll amaze and delight them by pulling off sick plays and outsoaking every other player put together. You can't lose!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cuntellectual posted:

But unfortunately Blizzard was lined up for a tank next and slapped a random set of skills onto Garrosh. :rip:

custom title checks out

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That kit is so goddamn complicated. It would be a circus trying to play against him. You're not 5 players against Garrosh. You're 5 players against Garrosh and 4 other heroes, whom will have roughly an equal power level to you. There's enough poo poo to keep track of in a full teamfight, adding a hero with nine gimmicks is not a good plan.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Polio Vax Scene posted:

That kit is so goddamn complicated. It would be a circus trying to play against him. You're not 5 players against Garrosh. You're 5 players against Garrosh and 4 other heroes, whom will have roughly an equal power level to you. There's enough poo poo to keep track of in a full teamfight, adding a hero with nine gimmicks is not a good plan.

B-b-but he's not mah sha'd out hitler analogue! :qqsay:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
On the one hand it's kind of silly to say "well what cool things could they have done with Garrosh, he's just a big dumb meathead" when Stukov up until the point he was released for HotS was just a gross dude with a weird arm and glowing eyes, big deal, until they turned him into a virus-spreading support who could Akira shove people across the map. Stukov proves that a character doesn't need to have a clear-cut set of abilities already in place for the designers to give them a fun and flavorful kit with plenty of bells and whistles.

On the other hand Garrosh's kit would be fine if it had like 200% more audio-visual flair to it. This was another big Stukov success in that all his big impactful stuff looks rad and sounds meaty, even his basic attack. Garrosh gets good voice lines but for a dude who's supposed to be some big important Orc warleader or whatever his visuals look cheaped out on. He looks and sounds more like a character that was introduced when the game was new, if that makes sense.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cuntellectual posted:

"B...But how do they combo!?" is possibly the worst argument you could have made. God forbid that you need to think about how to use a hero's abilities instead of just facerolling them in succesion. There's even heroes in HotS like that (Ragnaros, Medivh, Zul'Jin) already.

"Both huge raid boss abilities" is completely meaningless. I guess we better take Remorseless Winter off of Arthas and Gravity Lapse off of Kael, then.

I didn't go into further detail about how they would work because why would I bother, but if it makes you happy:

Q:Garrosh throws his axe at a target area, damaging enemies for X then emitting an aura that does Y damage for Z seconds. Enemies can attack the axe to lower it's duration.
W: Garrosh briefly winds up then unleashes waves of energy (in a star pattern, perhaps). Damage to enemy heroes is increased by up to 200% the closer they are to Garrosh.
E: Touch of Y'Shaarj: Target enemy is slowed and takes damage over time. Spreads to nearby enemies.

R1: Heart of Y'Shaarj: Garrosh gains empowered abilities. Q: Axe has larger AoE, can't be destroyed. W: Each enemy hero hit creates a Sha that chases the closest enemy hero, exploding for X damage after 2 seconds. E:
R2: Iron Star: Summons an Iron Star that can be charged for up to 3 seconds, then rolls forward in a line. Each second it charges, it's damage is increased. It explodes on impact with an enemy hero, dealing X damage.

D: Battle Rage: Each time Garrosh takes non-periodic damage from a hero, structure or mercenary, his movement speed is increased. Capped at 25% faster.

His spells don't neatly combo into each other, but area denial makes it easier to fire his W at people.

And an alternative set of skills that would let him still be a tank, but with the actual abilities he uses:

Q: Same deal.
W: Instead of dealing more damage, it knocks enemies back.
E: Afflicted enemies do less damage, unless they're attacking Garrosh.

R1: Grants armor. Q AoE slows, W pulls enemies in instead of knocking them back, E reduces their damage even more to other enemies as well as to Garrosh (by a lower amount).
R2: Same as before.

D: His current one works.

I personally think the best D for Garrosh would have been HELLSCREAM'S WARSONG: Every time you use an ability, you and every nearby ally gets a flat damage increase on their next attack.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Polio Vax Scene posted:

God only knows how you manage to play against Kel'Thuzad or Probius without your head bursting.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
It's pretty funny that the idea of taking one of the most beloved and memerable final raid boss fights and sticking it into HoTS is just apparently "lol" worthy, meanwhile they've jammed entire Overwatch hero kits into this game despite it fitting about as well as a square peg through a round hole.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orange Crush Rush posted:

It's pretty funny that the idea of taking one of the most beloved and memerable final raid boss fights and sticking it into HoTS is just apparently "lol" worthy, meanwhile they've jammed entire Overwatch hero kits into this game despite it fitting about as well as a square peg through a round hole.

Every single Overwatch hero has translated into HotS almost perfectly.

Furthermore, you are Orange Crush Rush and are of very slightly sub-average intelligence.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
overwatch is a moba dont @ me

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
All the OW heroes are either trash or completely loving broken. Their kits are lifted wholesale from A FPS and every single character bar Zarya breaks the MOBA genre with their mobility. They have made HOTS worse as a result. I sure love having Tracer hovering around chipping me down, or Lucio making it impossible to escape from a gank with that one basic ability. Not to mention Genji's ridiculously mobile kit.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Schneider Inside Her posted:

All the OW heroes are either trash or completely loving broken. Their kits are lifted wholesale from A FPS and every single character bar Zarya breaks the MOBA genre with their mobility. They have made HOTS worse as a result. I sure love having Tracer hovering around chipping me down, or Lucio making it impossible to escape from a gank with that one basic ability. Not to mention Genji's ridiculously mobile kit.

Yeah pretty much everything in this post. Zayra works well enough (although she was completely bonkers for a while), but every other Overwatch hero so far breaks at least one basic simple rule of Mobas in general. Not to mention how easy it is for most of them to just straight up ignore body blocking, another major competent of HoTS and something needed for several characters kits to actually work (Diablo, Muradin, ETC, Sonya etc).

I know a lot of people get confused as to why Overwatch in HoTS gets so much hate, this is a core part of it right here. They aren't playing the same game as everyone else and leads to some wonky poo poo happening.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

I bet we wouldn't be having this discussion if firebat hero was the next in line.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
People who keep bitching about Garrosh's kit not having anything to do with his boss fight from Siege of Orgrimmar are need to understand that not everyone who plays HotS will have ever actually done that raid when it was relevant. The designers thus need to come up with a kit that represents Garrosh beyond the 10 minutes when he was tripping out on Old God blood and screaming at you about his fanfic where all the people who were ever mean to him are dead and he's the king of the world.

That said, I will concede that his animations and sound effects for his kit definitely lack oomph.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Orange Crush Rush posted:

but every other Overwatch hero so far breaks at least one basic simple rule of Mobas in general.

This is the entire point of every single well-designed dotalike hero in the history of the genre.

Furthermore, you are Orange Crush Rush and are incapable of intellectually grasping what you're spewing words about.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

W.T. Fits posted:

People who keep bitching about Garrosh's kit not having anything to do with his boss fight from Siege of Orgrimmar are need to understand that not everyone who plays HotS will have ever actually done that raid when it was relevant. The designers thus need to come up with a kit that represents Garrosh beyond the 10 minutes when he was tripping out on Old God blood and screaming at you about his fanfic where all the people who were ever mean to him are dead and he's the king of the world.

That said, I will concede that his animations and sound effects for his kit definitely lack oomph.

I only know who half the characters in the game are because I read wiki summaries after playing HotS for a while and I still have no idea why Sylvannas shoots arrows that turn buildings off or that the protagonist of the cancelled Warcraft Adventure Game had gone into the elemental shamanism business, so if Garrosh had come out and had an ult where he pulls out some old god's heart and eats it for a snack before going bugshit nuts I think I could probably just roll with it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

If someone doesn't know who Garrosh is, why would they be upset about his abilities matching the fight? :confused:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Overwatch heroes works fine you dumbies, they translate over really well and are all really unique and fun to play and play against.

I'm also only gold at most so I'm happy being in the middle ground with other not so great players.

Most extra skins for OW heroes suck rear end though, blizzard get your poo poo together.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
The best voices in this game are Abathur, Li-ming, and Alarak.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Spudd posted:

Overwatch heroes

Spudd posted:

fun to play and play against

Gonna have to disagree on that one as long as Genji's still allowed to exist.

Also

Cuntellectual posted:

Feels weirdly accurate and is probably another reason why I just don't click with him as much as I really want to. His moveset feels like it could be on any old tauren you'd feel like adding, pick a dragon and it'd probably work there, a beefy dwarf could knock dudes around, there's nothing actually flavorful character-wise to his kit, which really sucks when the whole other recent run of characters have felt good that way. Like from that made up skillset earlier, even just one ult having been "Call in an Iron Star" probably would've done a bunch to make them feel more unique.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Overwatch heroes are fine you big whiny babies. Genji escapes easily but every single Genji player also picks the x strike ult and misses with it 110% of the time.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Cuntellectual posted:

That's how game design works. Top down design is poo poo. You make a lot and then figure out what the flavor is going to be.
I'm not sure the overwatch characters are designed top down but it seems likely, especially considering how awkwardly designed some of them are in hots.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oh no, tracer and lucio don't have to stop moving to auto attack. The world is loving ending.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
Stitches and Uther are going on sale tomorrow. The free hero rotation includes Butcher, so I look forward to farming the gently caress out of scrub Butchers in QM and weeping in turn when I get stuck with the worthless chain feeding Butcher on my team.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dietrich posted:

Oh no, tracer and lucio don't have to stop moving to auto attack.

That's not the big complaint of OW characters, it's just another annoying little thing.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Gobbeldygook posted:

Stitches and Uther are going on sale tomorrow. The free hero rotation includes Butcher, so I look forward to farming the gently caress out of scrub Butchers in QM and weeping in turn when I get stuck with the worthless chain feeding Butcher on my team.

"butcher we need you in teamfights man come on"

"have to farm meat in lane first"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Macaluso posted:

Every single Genji player also picks the x strike ult and misses with it 110% of the time.

Have we met before? Because you seem to know me awfully well.

lucifirius posted:

The best voices in this game are Abathur, Li-ming, and Alarak.

Li-Ming also has the best (THE MASTER SKIN DOESN'T EXIST) skins in the game. The Protoss skin is just amazing. :allears: