Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Wrong thread I know but that Firestorm box looks like a super neato idea. I love the idea of map based campaigns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I really like those Blightlords, not gonna lie. They're the main thing I actually want to nab from the Nurgle codex, along with another pair of Blight Drones. Due to the focus on surely expensive character units this isn't grabbing me as much as the expanded Primaris line, but what they do have that I want I outright adore.

What kind of weapon options do you think these bad boys'll be packing?

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

I really like those Blightlords, not gonna lie. They're the main thing I actually want to nab from the Nurgle codex, along with another pair of Blight Drones. Due to the focus on surely expensive character units this isn't grabbing me as much as the expanded Primaris line, but what they do have that I want I outright adore.

What kind of weapon options do you think these bad boys'll be packing?

Blightlords? From what I remember they get:

Baleswords and Blight Axes (Power Swords/Axes with Plague Weapon)
Reaper Autocannon
Plague Belcher
Blight Launcher
Flail of Corruption (Power Axe with d3 damage per hit and spill-over wounds)
Combi-Bolters/Weapons

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Can DG still used Posessed? With the buff they've gotten in the CSM codex I'm definitely going to move forward on my plan of using blight kings for Posessed.

jadarx
May 25, 2012

chutche2 posted:

Can DG still used Posessed? With the buff they've gotten in the CSM codex I'm definitely going to move forward on my plan of using blight kings for Posessed.

Yes

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Really loving this new nurgle stuff.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

They can, but they don't get Disgustingly Resilient.

SteelMentor posted:

Blightlords? From what I remember they get:

Baleswords and Blight Axes (Power Swords/Axes with Plague Weapon)
Reaper Autocannon
Plague Belcher
Blight Launcher
Flail of Corruption (Power Axe with d3 damage per hit and spill-over wounds)
Combi-Bolters/Weapons

Thanks! What are the restrictions on who can take what? Need to think on potential wargear tradeoffs to maximize model coolness.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
All the new Nurgle stuff is cool as hell but why are the models so busy-looking

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

That's pretty lame. Might not be much point in taking them then.

Maybe I'll proxy blightguard as those scythe terminators.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

goose willis posted:

I'm looking at mine and probably gonna shave off some random spikes and details.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

chutche2 posted:

That's pretty lame. Might not be much point in taking them then.

Maybe I'll proxy blightguard as those scythe terminators.

They still get Indomitable Advance (which is useless on them) and stratagem access (which I imagine might have a few neat tricks for them), but it's true that they get questionable benefit from being Death Guard.

Now, running them as an allied Renegades of Nurgle detachment so they can get advancing and charging in one turn? That could be a smart move. They'd go great with some Nurgle-converted bikers, for instance.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 17, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

Thanks! What are the restrictions on who can take what? Need to think on potential wargear tradeoffs to maximize model coolness.

Everyone can take a Combi-Weapon, 1 Blight Launcher/Plague Belcher/Reaper per 5 (making that example squad in the article illegal, ho hum), Blight Axes/Baleswords stock, 1 Flail of Corruption per squad.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

goose willis posted:

So you can feel the quality of your object of jewel-like wonder.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

Everyone can take a Combi-Weapon, 1 Blight Launcher/Plague Belcher/Reaper per 5 (making that example squad in the article illegal, ho hum), Blight Axes/Baleswords stock, 1 Flail of Corruption per squad.

What does the Plague Belcher do? I can find stats for everything else in Index, but no luck on it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

The Bee posted:

What does the Plague Belcher do? I can find stats for everything else in Index, but no luck on it.

Heavy Flamer with 1" extra range and Plague Weapon.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SteelMentor posted:

Heavy Flamer with 1" extra range and Plague Weapon.

Ugh. The fact that you have to Deep Strike more than 9 inches away if giving me the most horrendous case of blue balls right now. Otherwise, I would totally make a tricked-out melee squad with a combi-meltas and a Plague Belcher supported by a long-ranged firing squad with a Reaper Autocannon and combi-plasmas.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

PierreTheMime posted:

Consider cheap Psykers for Smites were already a thing I wouldn't call it new. They do have a lot of ways to do it but for an expensive army embodying the unstoppable march of death I'll give them a pass.

I feel it should be more like:

DG: lots of FNP
WE: lots of mortal wounding
EC: Speed, extra attacks
TS: Smitestorm

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Renegades are wonderfully efficient for smite spam, it's only 30 points for a lovely little malefic lord armed with only his bare hands

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I really don't like the new Typhus. He looks like he just noticed the nurglings and is flipping the gently caress out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Paint question for the cleverer people in here.

One technique I've never learnt, that I've always thought amazing is people who manage to get that more pastel, less vibrant colour look. A bit 'less is more'. What I don't know is how best to do that without losing tone. Random (brilliant) example:

Now obviously, the quality of painting there is top notch, but I'm curious how people feel about getting that less vibrant green but without losing tone, as adding white ends up too pale. Really a discussion piece, I expect there's a bunch of ways, so hit me.

E: Obviously if you compare that to the FW colour scheme (metallics, very vibrant) or the hideous one Studio has (Blue highlighted with green, ICK.) it's much more obvious.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 17, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

HardCoil posted:

I really don't like the new Typhus. He looks like he just noticed the nurglings and is flipping the gently caress out.

I think the new Typhus would look great in a hypothetical world where miasma and giant flies could swirl around him and his outstretched scythe, then descend onto his enemies. Instead, he just kind of looks really offput by everything.

Unpopular opinion, I think the Lord of Contagion kicks both old Typhus and new Typhus' asses. And I know the Death Guard has an angels of death motif, but I find the horrifying piece of industrial machinery that the LoC wields way cooler than the scythe.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Sticking Typhus on a nice scenic base might go to fix things a little, make it look like he's gesturing in triumph on top of some dead Marines or something. Just standing on some mud he looks like he's got a cramp he's trying to stretch out.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Shockeh posted:

One technique I've never learnt, that I've always thought amazing is people who manage to get that more pastel, less vibrant colour look. A bit 'less is more'. What I don't know is how best to do that without losing tone. Random (brilliant) example:

Now obviously, the quality of painting there is top notch, but I'm curious how people feel about getting that less vibrant green but without losing tone, as adding white ends up too pale. Really a discussion piece, I expect there's a bunch of ways, so hit me.

E: Obviously if you compare that to the FW colour scheme (metallics, very vibrant) or the hideous one Studio has (Blue highlighted with green, ICK.) it's much more obvious.

I would guess airbrush or glazes with extremely thin paint so that it filters a zenithal prime into the desired colour.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Why on earth would they be?

Tyranid key word, not a lot of unique units, current rules are poo poo.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think we'll continue to see new re-purposed civilian units as the faction expands, and they'll remain as a bridge between the other books. Rolling them into the Tyranid codex has the immediate effect of choking two potential revenue makers down into one. It would seem self-defeating.

<Tyranids> is likely no different to <Heretic Astartes> or <Imperium>.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 17, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Shockeh posted:

Add grey, not white. Or, if you want, add black and then white in small amounts until you get the value you want.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

LordAba posted:

Tyranid key word, not a lot of unique units, current rules are poo poo.

They've got more unique units than TSons, including a standard bearer, two vehicles, a trio of HQs, and surprising variety of units from the same concept of "Xenomorph man." And I bet you dollars to donuts that Return to the Shadows will be a stratagem.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I need to cast up some fusion blasters for my space-waifu but I've got no clue how to cast something so small with sufficient detail. What do you guys recommend?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Silicone is pretty good at capturing small details yet is a little awkward to work with but a lot of people seem to also like ComposiMold

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
You can desaturate a paint by adding small amounts of its opposite in the color wheel. Try adding a very small amount of red to your green.

(You'll probably have to experiment to figure out which red and in what quantities....)

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Shockeh posted:

You need to desaturate the colour and as Josh mentioned, grey is the trick. I'd paint the whole model grey, then layer on thinned glazes of the colour mixed in with the same base grey colour to take the edge off and dull it down.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I hope the inevitable World Eaters release is as cool as all this Death Guard stuff.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shockeh posted:

paint with inks/washes only over a white base.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Geoff Zahn posted:

How the gently caress did I not notice this lil motherfucker until now

SRM posted:

Woah panascope got a promotion

goddamnit

guess if i snooze, i lose

nice hat, panascope

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

goddamnit

guess if i snooze, i lose

nice hat, panascope
I sincerely love that y'all name-dropped Panascope twice in the most recent episode of the Badcast.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Im kind of a big deal in the slam community

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

But a nobody in real life

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

But a nobody in real life

Don't be jeal

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

I follow this dude on IG. This is his Alpha Guard army (and it's easily one of the most original and amazing looking armies I've ever seen). Username is Migsula.

I think if you're going to do a muted palette like that, you need to theme it well. His look really great because they have a sorta dark forest shadowy theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Safety Factor posted:

I sincerely love that y'all name-dropped Panascope twice in the most recent episode of the Badcast.

he holds a special place in my black, rotten heart