Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Pakled posted:

This is unfortunate but I should mention this was a suicide-by-cop. They had a knife and asked the cops to shoot them.

If true I can't tell if this says more about the state of mental health care in America or American law enforcement.

why not both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pakled posted:

This is unfortunate but I should mention this was a suicide-by-cop. They had a knife and asked the cops to shoot them.

Those kinds of situations are what tazers are supposed to be for.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Or even rubber bullets, bean bags, etc

Each of these things can kill someone, but at least they're less lethal.

"This guy wants to die. Welp, here I go killing again!"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden tomorrow will push back against "Universal Basic Income," or UBI, one of the most popular suggested solutions to the massive eradication of jobs that's feared because of automation. UBI is a check to every American adult, but Biden thinks that it's the job that is important, not just the income. In a blog post tomorrow timed to the launch of the Joe Biden Institute at the University of Delaware, Biden will quote his father telling him how a job is "about your dignity. It's about your self-respect. It's about your place in your community."

Why this matters: UBI is seen as a solution to growing inequality and unemployment driven by technological change that's gained credence among some tech executives and investors. Hillary Clinton considered making it a part of her 2016 presidential campaign.

The Biden institute's emphasis the first semester will be the future of work and Biden will host an event at 4 pm Tuesday in Wilmington, with speakers including Biden; Elaine Chao, the secretary of transportation; and Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union. It will be livestreamed here.

Edit: not going to lie, half the reason I posted this is for the fact meme 'Diamond Joe' Biden seems to have superseded reality.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Koalas March posted:

That thread was gas chambered, I think. I can look but people got really mad me last time I started digging through the post histories of jerks.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559733&userid=179932

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Pakled posted:

There's video (which the GTPD immediately purged from the GT reddit they closely monitor). The person was walking towards the officer at a very slow pace. No reason to choose that moment to end their life, knife or no, suicidal or not. "Well we warned them for awhile," is not due diligence to finding a non-lethal outcome.

e: It was a legal shooting, but it's not an ethical one.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Office Pig posted:

Edit: not going to lie, half the reason I posted this is for the fact meme 'Diamond Joe' Biden seems to have superseded reality.

But he drives cool cars and and wears cool shades, how can he be bad?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Office Pig posted:

Elaine Chao is among other things Mitch McConnell's wife.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Knew it.

quote:

What's [Trayvon] guilty of?

Dead Reckoning posted:

According to Zimmerman's story, felony battery.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Reminder, Zimmerman auctioned off the gun he shot Martin with for like 140k. You know, something a hero would do, and not a murderous rear end in a top hat.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Calibanibal posted:

:rolleyes: yeah I believe that.

Its on video

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Didn't Zimmerman tweet photos of Trayvon Martin's dead body.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

This is a dark hole to go down because he's part of a squad of boot licking pond scum that would defend every single police shooting (including the black man with a BB gun in a store, a black man with autism holding a screw driver, Tamir Rice, the man in NY selling cigarettes, the guy shot in the dark in the NY apartments who was unarmed, and those are only off the top of my head)

Literally every single one.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I swear we used to have DR quarantined to one terrible D&D thread and not allowed in USPOL. Whatever happened to that, can we bring that back?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Didn't Zimmerman tweet photos of Trayvon Martin's dead body.

Yes, he's loving scum and if I ever saw him in the streets I'd be in jail within the hour claiming that I stood my ground and feared for my life. Yet I am thinking that those defenses wouldn't work for me for some reason.....

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Koalas March posted:

Yes, he's loving scum and if I ever saw him in the streets I'd be in jail within the hour claiming that I stood my ground and feared for my life. Yet I am thinking that those defenses wouldn't work for me for some reason.....

For some reason, eh?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Koalas March posted:

South Park had a pretty good episode on him. If you haven't seen it, I think you'll enjoy the ending. I know I certainly did.:laugh:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe in other parts of the world, but are heroes are under attack all the time and this is a warfront so sometimes civilian casualties happen.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Murder is legal if you're a giant coward. The bigger the coward you are the more you're in fear for your life and the more people you can kill and get off scott free. I think I just found a cheat code!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I like how the cop asks the kid to tell them what's going on before blowing a hole in their chest. I'm sure any one of us, armed only with the keys on our keyboards, could have overpowered and helped that person.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There was totally the option to shoot that person in the leg. They were advancing incredibly slowly toward them screaming " Shoot me!!"

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I dunno I'm a pretty huge coward but I still should probat hide the bodies

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Your Sunday morning Virginia politics update:

The walks are ratcheting up. The number one question is no longer "oh, there's an election?" We are now at "Which one is the Democrat?" 42 people came out to walk for the governor's race, and we're starting to work for Elizabeth Guzman in the House of Delegates race.

People are starting to wonder what the candidates stand for as well, and that's where it's fun to watch released staff learn. It's not enough to repeat 1-3 talking points that the home office in Richmond provides. You have to know what your guy is for. You read this thread, so you know that and I know that - you can't just say "the other guy is a shmuck, vote for me!" Teaching people how to use their own story to explain why their guy is their guy is everything. My job next week is to train / retrain everyone in the office to speak like a human and knock on doors like they're people, not just marching band teens with a script.

Side note: actually ran into marching band teens in Fairfax County yesterday. They were rehearsing their speech while walking to the next door. We had a laugh about it. Door knocking is hilarious and awesome. Democracy is awesome. Getting people to get down for a cause is awesome.

Last round of polling has Northam +6, and the Kochs responded with a $2 million ad buy. Northam apparently had a response to said ad buy ready to go, as VA Dems often do; they've even tactically positioned the response to run immediately after the Koch attack ads. It's kind of amazing.

The north is feeling upbeat. 51 days to go.

Is there anyone lower on the totem pole also running in VA? I want as much blue or leftism as I can.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Koalas March posted:

Or even rubber bullets, bean bags, etc

Each of these things can kill someone, but at least they're less lethal.

"This guy wants to die. Welp, here I go killing again!"

cops all being michael krombopulos makes too much sense

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Schiff's a smart dude.

Or he was a prosecutor for long enough that he knows a guilty man when he sees one.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Crabtree posted:

Is there anyone lower on the totem pole also running in VA? I want as much blue or leftism as I can.

Justin Fairfax for Lt. Gov, Mark Herring as the incumbent for AG, and the whole House of Delegates. Anything lower than that is nothing I'm being tasked with yet.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Crabtree posted:

Lower on the totem pole how? All of the Delegates are up for re-election as well, so there's a lot of Republican delegates being challenged by Democratic up-and-comers. The House of Delegates is two thirds Republican despite Virginia arguably being 55% Democratic or so, which means there's a lot of opportunities for pickups. Sadly, the Senate isn't up for re-election for a couple of years, so this is our one chance to break Republican control over both chambers (and thus thwart a couple of nasty potential constitutional amendments coming down the pipes, but that's getting a bit esoteric for a lot of people's blood).

e: also fun fact, the House of Delegates is the oldest elected legislative body in the Western hemisphere, being the successor body to the original House of Burgesses of the Virginia Colony, which first met in 1619! So it deserves better than being run by a pack of morons who keep passing bathroom bills.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

cops all being krombopulos michael makes too much sense

ftfy

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hollismason posted:

There was totally the option to shoot that person in the leg. They were advancing incredibly slowly toward them screaming " Shoot me!!"

Doesn't that leave you open to lawsuits?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Hollismason posted:

Probably had time to find someone capable of non-lethally dealing with a suicidal person, really.

Accretionist posted:

Not killing someone could get a cop sued. ok, burn it all down.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Accretionist posted:

Individual police officers are mostly immune from civil suits for actions while on the job from what I understand. The department or higher up the chain could be liable but if you have to decide between a potential lawsuit and killing a human being, maybe don't kill the human being. I know that sounds crazy (to cops) but give it a shot please.

...phrasing!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Polygynous posted:

Not killing someone could get a cop sued. ok, burn it all down.

there's more to the horrible state of american law enforcement than just being staffed by assholes though you can't ever discount that factor

there are a lot of perverse structural incentives in the law that shape how procedures and training are formulated and bias it toward training cops to always be lovely in all situations

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Seems to me you could always just, you know, stay away from the person with the knife. I mean make sure they are not an immediate threat to anyone else including yourself, but don't do some stand your ground poo poo either, where the person is slowly advancing at you with the knife and your response is to stay where you are until they're close enough that you have to shoot them. Clear the area, back off, and wait until someone arrives with a non-lethal method of subduing the subject at a distance.

I mean these are the same cops who shoot black people for the crime of being black around a police officer, so compared to that this is a minor thing, but since we're talking about it already...

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Lots of hurricanes end up in Europe. They're usually post-tropical depressions by that point.

Man I want to see the timeline where a cat 5 hits New England and then goes to hit Old England while still being a cat 5.

Deteriorata posted:

A lot. A hurricane needs water over 25°C to keep it going. Once the core goes cold it becomes an ordinary low pressure system.

Some storms do hit the right conditions to maintain near hurricane-force winds all the way to the continent, but it's very rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_cyclone_effects_in_Europe

I'm sad to hear this, but I think I have a movie pitch for SyFy.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

PhazonLink posted:

I'm sad to hear this, but I think I have a movie pitch for SyFy.

I want to say they've already done this but my sources say it was a tornado filled with sharks, not a hurricane.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Office Pig posted:

I post this all the time, but Joe Biden is literally the person that people accuse Hillary Clinton of being. He's a corporatist centrist that's probably pretty strongly opposed to a lot of progressive goals. He would have made a bad president.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Paradoxish posted:

I post this all the time, but Joe Biden is literally the person that people accuse Hillary Clinton of being. He's a corporatist centrist that's probably pretty strongly opposed to a lot of progressive goals. He would have made a bad president.

I agree that Biden would've been terrible, but I hope you're not trying to imply that Hillary isn't a corporatist centrist.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Paradoxish posted:

But he's got cool memes and sunglasses.

e: Also, he can tell a joke without looking like it's loving killing him or breaking his robot brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Dear god, shut the gently caress up, you've got like multiple threads dedicated to making GBS threads on her to post in.

• Locked thread