Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

It's entirely possible that Hakagure has made an appearance in every panel of the story. We'll just have to wait for confirmation by Horikoshi in his end-of-series epilogue write-up.

Since that most certainly won't happen, I want future panels to feature a headband poking from around corners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you haven't watched the anime at all, you should watch today's episode, if only to finally hear what Kouda sounds like.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Popo posted:

There have been so many moments in which this series has taken me out of my more cynical late-20's self and back into ultra hyped 12 year old self, slapping my thigh and smiling like an idiot. Probably the best being when Bakugou got kidnapped and of doing an Sasuke and joining the darkside just tells them to gently caress off. It would have been easy if out of character to have him join them and I was slightly expecting it to happen but I was so glad he stayed well and truly in character.

There's more I'm sure I wanted to say but for now, gently caress yeah, Boku no Hero. Really glad I finally got on board with it.

Yeah, so far the most Naruto thing about this manga is not having as many cool moments for the girls. I mean Momo was rad when we were still doing things as a class but now that everyone's going off to try and get hero mentors that can't really happen as much.

That said, I'd be delighted if we got backstory on everyone like we did with Kirishima. I can't even remember any standout moments for Jirou or Sero.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sero's standout moment is getting obliterated in by todoroki in the ua sports festival. jirou's had a couple scenes that I can think of (working with momo and kaminari during the villain invasion and the test where the students fought the teachers), but nothing on the level of kirishima's flashback

I'm sure we'll get at least one cool scene for everyone eventually. except maybe ultimate muscle guy or the one that talks to animals

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
An arc where animal dude stands out seems inevitable. I'm pretty sure Horikoshi said something about him getting more screentime in the far future

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's actually the traitor. His quirk allows him to command animals, including humans. :eyepop:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Terper posted:

He's actually the traitor. His quirk allows him to command animals, including humans. :eyepop:

he uses his quirk to force the principle to tell him school secrets!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

sero's standout moment is getting obliterated in by todoroki in the ua sports festival. jirou's had a couple scenes that I can think of (working with momo and kaminari during the villain invasion and the test where the students fought the teachers), but nothing on the level of kirishima's flashback

I'm sure we'll get at least one cool scene for everyone eventually. except maybe ultimate muscle guy or the one that talks to animals

Animal guy got some focus in the chapters of him and Jirou vs Present Mic

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I know he was there but his contribution was getting scared and listening to jirou so eh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jirou was like in charge during those chapters but I feel like the narrative was more about Kouda fighting his cowardice. It felt more about him than Jirou imo.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Manatee Cannon posted:

sero's standout moment is getting obliterated in by todoroki in the ua sports festival.

Sero may not have a big, shining moment but he's stood out fairly well amongst the "lesser" students. A thing about Sero is he's a good spontaneous thinker. He stood out as a good civilian rescue hero during the license exam because he could quickly notice dangerous situations and come up with ways to safely evacuate people. He saved Mineta with quick action against Midnight by acting quick and getting him out of there. Even in his fight vs Todorki he had a good idea very quickly and executed it well, it was just a power gap.

He's got a lot of little moments that kind of shape his character and also his hero name is an A+ pun.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I somehow missed Momo's best line after Mirio spent a chapter and a half beating the gently caress out of the class and telling them to become sidekicks.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Sero may not have a big, shining moment but he's stood out fairly well amongst the "lesser" students. A thing about Sero is he's a good spontaneous thinker. He stood out as a good civilian rescue hero during the license exam because he could quickly notice dangerous situations and come up with ways to safely evacuate people. He saved Mineta with quick action against Midnight by acting quick and getting him out of there. Even in his fight vs Todorki he had a good idea very quickly and executed it well, it was just a power gap.

He's got a lot of little moments that kind of shape his character and also his hero name is an A+ pun.

I'm still disappointed that Sero got put in the failure group for his performance when paired with Mineta while Mineta got to pass, as it was only Sero's sacrifice that even got Mineta that far. Something about how that played out didn't feel fair to me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

EmmyOk posted:

I somehow missed Momo's best line after Mirio spent a chapter and a half beating the gently caress out of the class and telling them to become sidekicks.

How will they translate this to animation

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TFRazorsaw posted:

Make it really long, with lots of background spectacle and maybe a few flashbacks, then have Yaomomo point out how it could've been said in 3 minutes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I feel more sorry for Mina and Kaminari as that test just seemed pure bullshit and the fact that they seemed to have not given up until the end should have been enough to earn a pass.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If not giving up was enough to pass then everyone would have done it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

I feel more sorry for Mina and Kaminari as that test just seemed pure bullshit and the fact that they seemed to have not given up until the end should have been enough to earn a pass.

They should have thought more. Mina was also pretty much perfect for this as she could melt obstacles. Nezu even left an opening for them they did not find.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I think this is actually a mistranslation and she says the opposite, something about him doing it in only three panels or the like. Sadly I no longer have access to my English Jump so I can't check the official chapter to verify.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the translation I remember from that was momo complimenting mirio on explaining something concisely

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/mapletreeways/status/908830089693024258

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TFRazorsaw posted:

knowing the MHA anime, it'll take three episodes so they'll say we took three episodes to do something that should have took three panels.

stop insulting the family guy of the 2010s

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That is the VIZ translation

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EmmyOk posted:

That is the VIZ translation
Wow, that's a hell of a screw-up, then

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

During the Deku vs Todoroki fight, Jump/VIZ also mistranslated "you haven't put a scratch in me" as "I haven't put a scratch on you".

Sentences with subjects and objects are hard, I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, so far the most Naruto thing about this manga is not having as many cool moments for the girls. I mean Momo was rad when we were still doing things as a class but now that everyone's going off to try and get hero mentors that can't really happen as much.

That said, I'd be delighted if we got backstory on everyone like we did with Kirishima. I can't even remember any standout moments for Jirou or Sero.

tbf that's a problem with the shonen fighting genre in general.

As long as MHA is above early Naruto where Sakura is literally just a gag character or modern One Piece where women step aside from fighting their villains so their recently introduced dads can do it for them it's ahead of the curve.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blockhouse posted:

tbf that's a problem with the shonen fighting genre in general.

As long as MHA is above early Naruto where Sakura is literally just a gag character or modern One Piece where women step aside from fighting their villains so their recently introduced dads can do it for them it's ahead of the curve.

I was thinking something similar with the trans characters actually; I realized that Magne and Tiger fighting back at the camp was basically them getting paired off the same way female heroes and villains always do, the same way shonen tends to do for female characters, despite Tiger being a trans man and Magne a trans woman, which isn't great, and there was one or two other things that made me go "...Ehh..." on the subject, but at the same time MHA having trans characters at all, and as real characters rather than jokes, stereotypes, and/or gross reveals, puts it miles ahead of most modern media when it comes to that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Roland Jones posted:

I was thinking something similar with the trans characters actually; I realized that Magne and Tiger fighting back at the camp was basically them getting paired off the same way female heroes and villains always do, the same way shonen tends to do for female characters, despite Tiger being a trans man and Magne a trans woman, which isn't great, and there was one or two other things that made me go "...Ehh..." on the subject, but at the same time MHA having trans characters at all, and as real characters rather than jokes, stereotypes, and/or gross reveals, puts it miles ahead of most modern media when it comes to that.
TBF no one knew that about either of them at that moment.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

TBF no one knew that about either of them at that moment.

I mean, Horikoshi probably did. But yeah, I realized this relatively recently, and went, "...Oh, huh. That's... Not great." Not majorly upsetting, just a bit of a misstep in a series that seems very well-meaning on the subject. It seemed relevant to the post I was quoting, since it was about a similar thing except regarding the female characters instead.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I feel like girls usually only fighting other girls is the least of the problems many shonens have with female characters. And honestly I can't remember much of the Magne Tiger fight or any of the fights the pussycats had that arc, we only saw a few panels of it right? I don't think i'd call it that bad or weird.

Though thinking about it has reminded me that the first time Magne really got any focus or attention (from what I remember at least) was the chapter where she died which is kinda lame.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hah

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
A lot of the recent whining I've seen on twitter and elsewhere about the series is focused on endless, endless bitching about Momo's costume and lack of the girls getting fights/focus.

My answer is generally: have you read much shounen jump

Girls almost always end up fighting other girls, and 9/10 times* their fights don't get anywhere near as gruesome as the guys. I guarantee none of the girls in MHA are going to end a fight with broken limbs, visible impalement, coughing blood, etc. It just doesn't happen to any but the darkest series and not much even then. This includes villains.

Like, I will put real money on Toga's eventual defeat being at the hands of Ochako in a catfight over Deku. It'll be a low power affair ending in a blunt-force trauma knockout and Ochako at worst having the anime cliche eyebrow blood and hatchmark battle damage.

That's just how it is usually. I dunno if it's an editorial thing, a demographic thing, or a general WSJ mangaka thing to not beat the girls up.

*for inevitable references to stuff like HxH. Yes, there are exceptions. Usually anyone with a generation ability can get a gross fight too, female or not.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 19, 2017

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think it's basically all of the above

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Weekly Shonen Jump has a pretty "boy's club" mentality and it's comes through in a lot of places.

Heck One Piece introduced a female fighter with an interesting backstory a few arcs back and narratively tossed her into a bin in the sidelines in order to focus on her father. And a bunch of readers were all like "yes, I prefer her as a distressed damsel to be protected by her much more important father, who I really sympathize with, and if you had kids you would understand."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it has a boys club mentality because it is aimed at boys who in a collective may even be referred to as a club

how
strange...

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I mean yeah no it makes sense, just pointing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

not to say that it's good that they do and that it wouldn't be better if it changed

but "this boys club has a boys club mentality" is like, yeah, duh