Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

u forgot rock n'roll racing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Maple Leaf posted:

Play Ana like Bastion, got it

I'm on a pretty harsh losing streak right now, so maybe I'll just stick to what I know, haha. Thanks for the tips, though: focus less on the numbers and more on shooting people when they need to be shot.

... actually, I think I'm just gonna uninstall. Maybe I'll try again in a couple months.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
You take a weak third.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Unrelated to Blizzard's heinous lack of acknowledgement of their SNES-era games (Blackthorne Reaper skin when, Jeff?) I feel like they've tweaked the lootboxes around again because I've noticed that I've gotten a duplicate in each of the last 20 boxes. During the summer games event I got very, very few duplicates, but even now that an event's not on there's no way I have enough blues and greys that the game is running out of unique stuff to give me, so I'm wondering if this is a result of people complaining that they weren't getting enough blizzbux to save up to buy the stuff they wanted.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
you only get dupes if you've collected everything available from a given rarity (grey, blue, purp, gold). also the system rolls the various rarities without considering if you've tapped it out.

you're probably only getting dupes on the blues right now and it will be every time you get a blue.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

I have been playing a Hanzo only account in comp, he is really good fun, I placed at 2225 or something and up to 2625 I think at a win rate of about 66%. Surprisingly not too many people raging so far, but as I get closer to Diamond I think that will come out more

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Snazzy Frocks posted:

you only get dupes if you've collected everything available from a given rarity (grey, blue, purp, gold). also the system rolls the various rarities without considering if you've tapped it out.

you're probably only getting dupes on the blues right now and it will be every time you get a blue.

I am extremely skeptical that I've gathered every blue cosmetic item in the game...those are the rarity of basic skin recolors, right? I haven't played nearly that much Overwatch. I mean I'll go and check, but I feel like I still have plenty of stuff (basic skins, victory poses) that I haven't accumulated over the 25 characters so far.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Kai Tave posted:

I am extremely skeptical that I've gathered every blue cosmetic item in the game...those are the rarity of basic skin recolors, right? I haven't played nearly that much Overwatch. I mean I'll go and check, but I feel like I still have plenty of stuff (basic skins, victory poses) that I haven't accumulated over the 25 characters so far.

Well I'm a big fat stupid liar because apparently I have in fact gotten every blue item without noticing. I didn't think I'd gotten all of them for Orisa and Doomfist but welp.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Kai Tave posted:

Unrelated to Blizzard's heinous lack of acknowledgement of their SNES-era games (Blackthorne Reaper skin when, Jeff?) I feel like they've tweaked the lootboxes around again because I've noticed that I've gotten a duplicate in each of the last 20 boxes. During the summer games event I got very, very few duplicates, but even now that an event's not on there's no way I have enough blues and greys that the game is running out of unique stuff to give me, so I'm wondering if this is a result of people complaining that they weren't getting enough blizzbux to save up to buy the stuff they wanted.
They definitely hit a switch on it, I got one duplicate all Summer event and then after the next patch they were quietly back to their usual frequency in tier pools I don't have the entirety of

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

TheRationalRedditor posted:

They definitely hit a switch on it, I got one duplicate all Summer event and then after the next patch they were quietly back to their usual frequency in tier pools I don't have the entirety of

Well I mean I just proved to myself that I have in fact have every blue item when I thought I didn't so maybe I'm just dumb. Now I'm wondering how much longer it's going to take to get all the greys out of the pool so I can at least get 30 coins per box on those 3 grey/1 blue rolls.

What rarity are player icons? If I finally get all of those maybe I'll start getting those seasonal pachimaris for once.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It's Rarity and reward type.
I get plenty of purple skin dupes, but I'm still missing few purple highlight intros.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
There was a good blue thread on the forums where people were freaking out about the new boxes in the exact same way yall were and the blue poster kept shutting people down with the exact contents of their boxes and what they owned on the account, and in fact people are really bad at even looking to see what they own before freaking out about what they think they're owed. You aren't even aware what items you own and you still wanna get mad about it like lol

e: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758866763?page=3#post-42

adhuin posted:

It's Rarity and reward type.
I get plenty of purple skin dupes, but I'm still missing few purple highlight intros.

post a pic of it next time it happens. I'm willing to bet those were summer games epic dupes you were getting, the only thing that's checked is if it's an event item before it checks for rarity. there's no bias between item types.

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 18, 2017

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's almost as good as the 'actually you posted this detailed manifesto about how you would murder every non-white person so your 3 day chat ban stands' posts.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

really my only complaint with the new system is that it feels weird to be getting rare dupes when, at a cursory glance, I'm gonna need to open like 60 or 70 more boxes to complete my common item collection. there's a -lot- of sprays and voice lines, like holy poo poo.

another upside of the system is that every time a holiday event rolls around I can buy all the old skins I missed and any event epics/legendaries I get are guaranteed to be the new, expensive ones. hell yeah

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Minrad posted:

really my only complaint with the new system is that it feels weird to be getting rare dupes when, at a cursory glance, I'm gonna need to open like 60 or 70 more boxes to complete my common item collection. there's a -lot- of sprays and voice lines, like holy poo poo.

another upside of the system is that every time a holiday event rolls around I can buy all the old skins I missed and any event epics/legendaries I get are guaranteed to be the new, expensive ones. hell yeah

Or you know...
Boxes of gold.
Worth a fifth of the equivalent tier reward. (or less since the event skins are 3k)
I've gotten a lot of these can you tell?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Note from one of Jeff's posts this morning:

"4-5 people do not have the power to get another player banned."

So if you play Hanzo in one match and piss off a 5-stack, you will not get banned no matter how many reports they submit claiming you are Hitler reincarnated.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think he just means those reports won't result in an instant auto-ban. If the reports are reviewed and found to indicate ban-worthy activity, THEN a ban would happen.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm surprised that Blizzard hasn't developed a machine learning algorithm to help them sift through all their reports.

But I suppose that poo poo costs money that Activision could better spend on dividends and share buybacks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

"why'd you ban my account?"

"dunno, magic box said to do so."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Prav posted:

"why'd you ban my account?"

"dunno, magic box said to do so."

I mean the ideal solution would be to combine both a human element with machine assistance so that you have a system in place which helps flag problem accounts for manual review, whereupon an actual person can decide whether to push the big red button or not. That and far harsher penalties than currently exist under the "2000+ reports to get Jeff Kaplan calling you out" system.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Minrad posted:

Are you sure your missing rares and commons are not event related and therefore locked right now?
Some of them are available for all characters, so they count multiple times towards your missing items (if you're missing an event spray that every char can get, it will be missing 25 times in total if you add up the difference in xx/yy from the hero gallery). This will throw off your calculation of boxes required to get all commons/rares.

I had all common/rares except for some event stuff and was getting dupes before the Summer Games.
Once the event started, I only got event items until I had them all, then it switched back to dupes. Has been pretty consistent so far.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Kai Tave posted:

"2000+ reports to get Jeff Kaplan calling you out" system.

I feel like this part of the system is perfect right now.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

well why not posted:

I feel like this part of the system is perfect right now.

Did they even ban that guy? Like, a for real "you are no longer welcome in Overwatch" ban? Because if not then the system is worthless and people are right to call Blizzard out on a lackluster effort.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don't really understand why typing the N-word into chat doesn't just automatically ban you for a week straight up, like a command line debug entry.

Obviously there are easy work arounds, like with GGEZ or whatever, but man what an awesome week it would be before anyone caught on. Just take the 10 most common slurs and make them auto-bans. I'd take the near infinite number of losses from mid-game leavers in exchange for the river of salt as thousands of players all over the world try to complain about not having the freedom to be racist, toxic idiots.

Unironically make racism and homophobic slurs grounds for permabans, blizzard, and provide the bounty of lols we deserve when parents log on to find out Jimmy was banned for actual hate speech.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

Did they even ban that guy? Like, a for real "you are no longer welcome in Overwatch" ban? Because if not then the system is worthless and people are right to call Blizzard out on a lackluster effort.

At the time, I think it was a one-week ban, not a permaban.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't really understand why typing the N-word into chat doesn't just automatically ban you for a week straight up, like a command line debug entry.

Also, how do nametags containing "1488" get through the registration process?
"420"? Fine. "6969"? Sure, you immature dumbass.

But "1488" is a preeettty drat reliable indicator you're an irredeemable fucktard, even - or even moreso - if you're using it :airquote:ironically:airquote:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

He made a post on Reddit that he was perma banned and bought a new account and wasnt going to do anything different, to see if they're actually doing anything different about banning abusive players

So no, the system doesn't work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Minrad posted:

He made a post on Reddit that he was perma banned and bought a new account and wasnt going to do anything different, to see if they're actually doing anything different about banning abusive players

So no, the system doesn't work.

Wasn't there a Blizzard forums post less than a month ago where some guy does this but his new account gets banned almost immediately because it was the same IP address or something? I'm CERTAIN that happened.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

mcbexx posted:

Also, how do nametags containing "1488" get through the registration process?
"420"? Fine. "6969"? Sure, you immature dumbass.

But "1488" is a preeettty drat reliable indicator you're an irredeemable fucktard, even - or even moreso - if you're using it :airquote:ironically:airquote:

Is that a white supremacist thing?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lowness 72 posted:

Is that a white supremacist thing?

Yeah it's some idiotic phrase about preserving white mediocrity that is 14 words long or something and the 88 is a Hitler thing maybe idk

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I almost wish I didn't know. Just another thing to annoy me about people on the internet.

Although now if I see it I can premptively block / report them so maybe this is a good thing?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Taking a visible zero tolerance approach to racism / homophobic comments would have an overall chilling effect on people acting like human garbage in chat. Unless the chat goes unlogged I can't imagine it's a hard one to pin down.

We had a group of 4-5 people resort to it the other day after we stomped them for a couple of rounds in QP - just spewing the most hateful poo poo in an attempt to offend us (you know when someone's trying so hard to be outwardly offensive that they look really, really pathetic?) If Blizzard actually started openly hitting people hard and fast for the really obviously offensive stuff I could guarantee that those players would have just quietly left.

If Jeff wants to make it clear that assholes aren't welcome, pick up the ticket queue, zip through the easiest cases and let the blue posters whip out the quotes when the dickheads take to the forums to whine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ha ha ha I just looked it up (https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/1488) and it's so loving stupid ha ha ha like everything Nazi's do they take their big scary message of eugenics and hide behind code words and phrases because they are giant babies who don't want any consequences for their garbage, truffle-brained beliefs.

I will make it my life's work to suicide dive every ____1488 nametag I see and instantly report on sight.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I sure do like video games.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Montalvo posted:

Yeah it's some idiotic phrase about preserving white mediocrity that is 14 words long or something and the 88 is a Hitler thing maybe idk
14 words, 88 Aryan Precepts. It's worth knowing if only to identify contrarian dickbags or out-and-out nazis

Chuck N. Awe
Oct 6, 2007

Sestze posted:

14 words, 88 Aryan Precepts. It's worth knowing if only to identify contrarian dickbags or out-and-out nazis

88 is code for Heil Hitler.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think it's code for "it is your moral obligation to punch me"

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Chuck N. Awe posted:

88 is code for Heil Hitler.
Surprisingly, a bastardization that the ADL got wrong. A lot of people misinterpret it to mean "heil hitler"

David Lane is the guy that was behind the 14-88 nomenclature, and wrote a big honkin' piece about it.

here's a web archive link if you're interested in reading a bunch of aryan propaganda.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

what's the code to release the patch early

i'm dying here, and mercy is holding rez for the team wipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Bust Rodd posted:

I will make it my life's work to suicide dive every ____1488 nametag I see and instantly report on sight.

I should probably change my name to _1488 so i have easier games in comp, tbh