Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
*Disables cookies, enables all privacy features, and uses ad blocker whenever possible*

*Wonders why ads are so poorly targeted and why anyone would buy them*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

ads are not good, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

Firefighters use professional gear to save lives every day, YOU SHOULD USE PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT TO SAVE LIVES EVERY DAY WITH YOUR COP DRAMA YOURE CREATING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXVNUh92c1c

"colorists love arri"

*shows a bunch of instagram filters applied to video*

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

akadajet posted:

"colorists love arri"

*shows a bunch of instagram filters applied to video*

you have to be hit over the head with grading to see it in 8-bpc rec.709

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

you have to be hit over the head with grading to see it in 8-bpc rec.709

or maybe color grading is garbage and everything looks like it was taken with the in-app facebook camera these days

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

*Disables cookies, enables all privacy features, and uses ad blocker whenever possible*

you got these in the wrong order

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://vimeo.com/231557692

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ShadowHawk posted:

lol if youd want ads to be well targeted

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

lol if youd want ads to be well targeted

"this blight on humanity is the exact blight on humanity i prefer!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

not surprising that the guy who works for free likes ads

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

ShadowHawk posted:

how does it feel to live with a brain injury

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

targeted and relevant i presume

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
ads rule when they are relevant and suited for your needs.

if big data sama shows goons a 20% discount on mountain dew and cheeto combo b cause it knows you are most likely to buy them based on signals data with delivery, I'm pretty sure you all h bhapoy to buy.

ads rule, FB, googl and pretty much the world of consumer is based on advertising

ad blockers are not going to change a loving thing

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah but with an adblocker i dont see them

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mulligan posted:

if big data sama shows goons a 20% discount on mountain dew and cheeto combo b cause it knows you are most likely to buy them based on signals data with delivery, I'm pretty sure you all h bhapoy to buy.

ads rule, FB, googl and pretty much the world of consumer is based on advertising

no ad has ever suited my needs because my needs do not include ads

and fb and google are clownshoes

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

not surprising that the guy who works for free likes ads
The ads must flow

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

heartily disagreeing over here

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

no ad has ever suited my needs because my needs do not include ads

and fb and google are clownshoes

people who think ads don't work on them, they do. Ads are info on brands or stuff you buy, whatever product you have on your head right now is product of tom (top of mind) and that was ad generated, either atl/btl / digital etc

but remember, the content is the ad, you can't scape product placement and ads generated with awseome content rule.

google and facbook care a poo poo lot about d cent ad practices

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

broke brained ad-havers keep posting the same wrong things

idgi

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

ShadowHawk posted:

uhh another tampon commercial, thats it im turning off adblock

*axe body spay commercial* ahh yes much better

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

mulligan posted:

people who think ads don't work on them, they do. Ads are info on brands or stuff you buy, whatever product you have on your head right now is product of tom (top of mind) and that was ad generated, either atl/btl / digital etc

the products i have in mind right now were personally tested or recommended by people i trust in such matters. your cancerous money furnace of an industry had nothing to do with it

at the very best, an ad leaves me indifferent toward whatever crap it's peddling. most of the time though it makes me actively hostile toward it, depending how dumb the ad was

hth

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

buh uhh psych 101 pls protect my horrible dying industry

buuuh what woudl you do without facebork huh? czechmate idiot

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

help i believe in all the poo poo my weird cult made up

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Suspicious posted:

the products i have in mind right now were personally tested or recommended by people i trust in such matters. your cancerous money furnace of an industry had nothing to do with it

at the very best, an ad leaves me indifferent toward whatever crap it's peddling. most of the time though it makes me actively hostile toward it, depending how dumb the ad was

hth
advertising totally doesn't affect me

also I think women look better when they aren't wearing makeup, that industry is a sham too

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
what's even the argument here? i see an ad and think about how lovely it was for a few seconds, it's a win? all publicity is good publicity? this is getting bitcoin levels of pathetic

i worked in telemarketing as a starving college student too so, yes, i know it works on some people, just like nigerian scams do. it doesn't work on a mass scale. stop huffing your own farts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

idgaf, never watch ads & have no idea what brand anything is

i always buy the cheapest poo poo possible & step up the price one notch if it turns out to be literal poo poo

this obviously means that ads work on me

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

if an advertiser tries to steal my brain i kill him and take his brain instead

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b/c of this thread i was trying to think of where i actually do see advertising

-on tv during live sporting events
-maybe if you count things like signs by the highway for restaurants and gas thats off the exit?

i mean no one reads print magazines or watches live tv or reads the newspaper or goes to retail stores or listens to the radio anymore and my state doesnt allow highway billboards so all the places i used to see ads are just gone

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
internet advertising is poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

LastInLine posted:

i mean no one reads print magazines or watches live tv or reads the newspaper or goes to retail stores or listens to the radio anymore and my state doesnt allow highway billboards so all the places i used to see ads are just gone

I do.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the worst recent anthem ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7rW-1ZXS4M

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

mulligan posted:

"ads are good because they brainwash you into buying products" - you, an idiot

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I'm pretty sure that ketamine actually causes a decrease in appetite though?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can't remember the last time any price point was mentioned in an ad let alone a discount the cost of things is dynamic now based on time of day, your location, device, etc. I'd assume any actual ad with a price baked in and not a "shopping link" was something like those invicta watches they say are $1000 msrp and they're "on sale" for $300 [they're actually like $20 watches]

dynamic pricing makes that obsolete, you only get discounts from visiting company sites or coupon scrapers

the people who make the ad units depend on them being deployed to 100000 different locations, they can barely manage ot make them at all the different sizes they need they're not going to do time sensitive content unless they really need to making ads is way mroe expensive than the airtime so you gotta leverage the crap out of all your creative

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

"idiot garbage goon it support jockeys " are the most relevant and valuable audice, according to my research on yospos sirs our industry is doomed.

advertising doesn't work on them like in 99% of the whole loving world.

I guess autism protects you from ads.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

whats really cool these days is how good* attribution is which means you can tell which ad partner served the ad which lead to the conversion and pay them fairly

* this is not very good, beyond partner URLs

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I do however hate interstitial, auto play a r not relevant poo poo ads programmed by apes

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Share Bear posted:

whats really cool these days is how good* attribution is which means you can tell which ad partner served the ad which lead to the conversion and pay them fairly

* this is not very good, beyond partner URLs

yup, then optimize based on that conversion and pay a fair CPL

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Americans are really not good at understanding how to haggle

saw a guy at a Best Buy trying to get a ‘good guy discount’ on a phone like it was PC Richard & Son in the 90’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fixed pricing for all customers is pretty much an invention of the american advertising industry circa 1920

prior to that it was normal to haggle over any purchase, and for shopkeepers to arbitrarily raise or lower prices depending on how much they liked you

• Locked thread