Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Admiral Piett was more interesting than General Hux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Craptacular! posted:

Need I mention that this is not too many years after Richard Nixon tried to argue that whether or not something is legal depends on whether the President says it is.

"My Lord... is that... legal?"

"I will make it legal."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Craptacular! posted:

And I should point out by Epcot's opening, the illusion was over. The cold war combined with America's financial difficulties and increased distrust of corporations made the optimistic, cheerful future of Disney an archaic thing; but persistred because the company was run at the time by guys from the Old Guard who weren't going to roll with the cultural changes. They clung onto that old happy optimism and they built that park anyway. And it was roundly criticized by people who saw it as a propaganda tool for Exxon, General Motors, etc. Very different from the 60s, where people flocked to the GE propaganda ride and the Monsanto propaganda-ride and didn't really think twice about it.

I was really hoping the links for Exxon and General Motors would be to examples of these rides being "roundly criticized" instead of just links to the ride's Wikipedia pages. Actually asking, do you have examples of people bashing Universe of Energy or World of Motion when Epcot opened? I was born the year ROTJ came out, so I wasn't around for that, and would be curious to read about it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Yeesh.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Milky Moor posted:

Is this a serious point? Should the Empire have Keystone Copped their way through ESB?
That's not even close to what I'm saying.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brother Entropy posted:

rey's skills don't really bug me so much as her just being kind of a nothing character to the point that the guy who was originally supposed to die 20 minutes in has more of a graspable personality than the film's main protagonist, she feels very bland in a series of films that otherwise is full of archetypal but interesting heroes

The Gary Sue fighter pilot?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lord Hydronium posted:

That's not even close to what I'm saying.

It's actually exactly what you said.

Perhaps you spoke inaccurately?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Milky Moor posted:

It's actually exactly what you said.

Perhaps you spoke inaccurately?
Try reading that again, and reading the post I was responding to. It was in response to the idea that ESB only makes Vader look good, not the rest of the Empire.

And once more, I'm not saying it's bad to make evil fictional people look cool, I'm asking why people get bothered when they don't. The assumption that Space Nazis should be badass, and that a filmmaker has done something wrong if they aren't, is kinda weird.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 18, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord Hydronium posted:

I think it's worth asking why people feel a need for fascist villains to be cool. The aesthetic element was a big part of what sold fascism in the first place, after all; you stick some racist idiots who believe white people came from Atlantis in Hugo Boss uniforms, and everyone starts thinking they must know what they're doing.

ESB goes really hard on the "Empire is cool" thing - too much, arguably, given how many fans have sympathized with them since - and ever since ROTJ (and even continued through the change in ownership) there's been a conscious move away from that. Evil is ugly (Palpatine), it's short-sighted (Maul), it's pathetic (the Trade Federation), it's self-destructive (Vader), it's comical (Grievous), it's full of tryhards (Ren) and lunatics (Hux) and grubby little status-seekers (Krennic). You're never going to get away from the cool uniforms and such, but there's been a decent effort to show the other sides of it. Even subverting it in many of those cases by having a cool looking character who's really kind of pathetic at the heart of it.

No one's a Nazi for thinking the Empire looks cool. But it's worth examining the impact that decades of portrayals of a cool form of fascism might be having on real life politics. And it's a good thing to throw in a counterpoint every so often.

That's completely backwards.

You first are declaring your enemies evil fascists and then striving to make these individuals look uncool in the press. And we should note that politics is absent here. Maul is not a fascist, and the Trade Federation are unambiguously libertarians.

Instead, you should be examining the politics of 'cool' - and this boils down to ethics and pseudo-ethics. Vader is 'cool' because he is the only ethical character in Star Wars. Other characters can dress up in costumes, but they remain 'all too human'. When fans gush over how badass Boba Fett is/was, they are referring to his (pseudo-)ethical appearance: he's an outlaw, right? Follows his own code or whatever. But then, why is he working for that loser Jabba? The more you focus on what Fett does, the more human limitation becomes apparent.

The problem of the space-nazis is, likewise, not that they falsely look cool, but that they are appropriating cool imagery to create the illusion that they are revolutionizing society.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Facism is inherently cool- if it's not cool, it's not proper facism.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You first are declaring your enemies evil fascists and then striving to make these individuals look uncool in the press. And we should note that politics is absent here. Maul is not a fascist, and the Trade Federation are unambiguously libertarians.
Yeah, I was probably unclear since I was bringing up a few different ideas at the same time, but I meant to be referring there to the general portrayal of villainy rather than fascism specifically. Fascism is a specific type of evil that Star Wars uses (and calls out), but I don't mean to imply it's the only one.

Instead, you should be examining the politics of 'cool' - and this boils down to ethics and pseudo-ethics. Vader is 'cool' because he is the only ethical character in Star Wars. Other characters can dress up in costumes, but they remain 'all too human'. When fans gush over how badass Boba Fett is/was, they are referring to his (pseudo-)ethical appearance: he's an outlaw, right? Follows his own code or whatever. But then, why is he working for that loser Jabba? The more you focus on what Fett does, the more human limitation becomes apparent.

The problem of the space-nazis is, likewise, not that they falsely look cool, but that they are appropriating cool imagery to create the illusion that they are revolutionizing society.
So if I understand correctly, you're saying that imagery is "cool" because of what it implies about the character - they're powerful badasses, or independent outlaws, or what have you - and the problem people are having is when that imagery doesn't line up with what the actual character is like. I can buy that, and it probably fits better with cases like Grievous that the argument about fascism doesn't cover. And I guess the argument as to why this isn't so bad in real world political terms would be that Star Wars doesn't use actual Nazi imagery (for the most part), just sort of a general "strength and order" aesthetic, so there's no risk of people internalizing it as cool.

Nonetheless, I think there is a problem in the broader fandom (less so here) where the "good parts" of the Empire are emphasized and the bad parts downplayed - where blowing up planets and such is just the work a few bad apples like Palpatine and Tarkin. You see that idea crop up a lot in the later Legends EU, for example, and many fans unfortunately responding positively to it. In the terms of your argument, I think that since the Empire looks cool, those people want the Empire also to be cool by following some sort of ethical version of authoritarianism.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

That's completely backwards.

Ah yes notable not at all the Emperor's bitch Darth Vader.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

porfiria posted:

I mean, it's not a coincidence that in ESB, where he's seen to be at his coolest, is also the one where he's most independent.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Lord Hydronium posted:

I mean, it's not a coincidence that in ESB, where he's seen to be at his coolest, is also the one where he's most independent.

I mean the essence of cool is being free of restraint, yeah. This is why Han Solo is progressively less cool, and why no one in the prequels is cool. Except Jex Dettster I guess.

Edit: Also we do see Vader get down on his knees in ESB, so it's kind of a wash versus Star Wars, coup d'etat talk aside.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Obi-Wan is the coolest, though. :colbert:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

porfiria posted:

Edit: Also we do see Vader get down on his knees in ESB, so it's kind of a wash versus Star Wars, coup d'etat talk aside.

Real Men Pray

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

porfiria posted:

You're confusing 'cool' with mere power. Don't be too proud of this technological terror, etc. Being a bitch is not the opposite of being cool.

That being said, Palpatine is the second-coolest character in Star Wars.

porfiria posted:

I mean the essence of cool is being free of restraint, yeah. This is why Han Solo is progressively less cool, and why no one in the prequels is cool. Except Jex Dettster I guess.

The question is how you define constraint. Han Solo is only 'free' in a libertarian sense where he deals drugs and could get snuffed out at any moment. There's a reason his nemesis/counterpart is Boba Fett.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

thrawn527 posted:

I was really hoping the links for Exxon and General Motors would be to examples of these rides being "roundly criticized" instead of just links to the ride's Wikipedia pages. Actually asking, do you have examples of people bashing Universe of Energy or World of Motion when Epcot opened? I was born the year ROTJ came out, so I wasn't around for that, and would be curious to read about it.

Didn't go that deep into it because this isn't a theme parks thread. I never went to Florida in the 80s, but UoE's pre-Ellen iteration was known to shill the oil industry. WoM seems like an incredible ride and I'm saddened I never got to see it, but GM is criticized for lots of things from dismantling public transit to burying the electric car.

It's usually not the rides themselves that were the problem here, but the sponsor areas after the ride that were basically a space for the company to pitch themselves at you. This was started at Innerspace, where the room at the ride exit was a big Monsanto display. Very few rides go as far as to have characters quote marketing slogans, like the way Carousel of Progress Daddy tells you that GE brings good things to life.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Craptacular! posted:

Didn't go that deep into it because this isn't a theme parks thread. I never went to Florida in the 80s, but UoE's pre-Ellen iteration was known to shill the oil industry. WoM seems like an incredible ride and I'm saddened I never got to see it, but GM is criticized for lots of things from dismantling public transit to burying the electric car.

It's usually not the rides themselves that were the problem here, but the sponsor areas after the ride that were basically a space for the company to pitch themselves at you. This was started at Innerspace, where the room at the ride exit was a big Monsanto display. Very few rides have characters quote slogans, like the way Carousel of Progress Daddy tells you that GE brings good things to life.

Ah, okay. I thought you were saying there were a bunch of negative reviews for the rides at the time, with headlines like, "World of Motion? More like World of Corporate Shilling!" Yeah, WoM was really cool, though it's not like Test Track isn't.

And is there a theme park thread? Or could there be? I'd be down for participating (I live in Orlando, where we have a couple here and there), but it might not be a good topic for a thread. I find them to be fascinating ecosystems of their own, with incredibly complicated logistics and rich/crazy histories.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Universe of Energy wasn't horrible at the beginning, but it became a really awful advertisement after Sid Bass, a Texas oil and gas magnate, essentially saved Disney from a hostile takeover by Marriott and Saul Steinberg. He and his family bought up a ridiculous amount of Disney's outstanding stock, then wound up replacing like half the board and getting Michael Eisner and Frank Wells installed to run the company.

Eisner's tenure over the company really, genuinely began to weaken when the Basses had to liquidate almost their entire portfolio.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Timby posted:

Universe of Energy wasn't horrible at the beginning, but it became a really awful advertisement after Sid Bass, a Texas oil and gas magnate, essentially saved Disney from a hostile takeover by Marriott and Saul Steinberg. He and his family bought up a ridiculous amount of Disney's outstanding stock, then wound up replacing like half the board and getting Michael Eisner and Frank Wells installed to run the company.

Eisner's tenure over the company really, genuinely began to weaken when the Basses had to liquidate almost their entire portfolio.

I remember hating Universe of Energy when I was a kid, mainly for being so drat boring. The Ellen version was better, but that's gone now, too.

...I tried relating this back to the thread topic somehow via Star Tours, but I've got nothing.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, all I was trying to say is that wrapping the Empire up in shades of Nazism isn't quite right. It's a dystopia (which was all the rage in the 70s and 80s, cyberpunk etc) that's wearing the familiar trappings of a 20th century utopia.

The reason they look "badass" is possibly because you the viewer have been conditioned to like that utopian sci-fi aesthetic before you ever watched a Star Wars film. I never watched one with serious interest until I was in high school.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 18, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

thrawn527 posted:

I remember hating Universe of Energy when I was a kid, mainly for being so drat boring. The Ellen version was better, but that's gone now, too.

...I tried relating this back to the thread topic somehow via Star Tours, but I've got nothing.

Nah, original Universe of Energy was better than Ellen's since it was only a loving 15 minute ride instead of a 45 minute show, and had a fuckin' tight-rear end catchy themesong at the end.

To bring it back around to Star Tours, Eisner pulled Lucas in shortly after he became CEO to make the parks more teenager-friendly. Out of this, we got the single greatest Star Wars film ever made: 1986's George Lucas and the Walt Disney Company Presents Francis Ford Coppola's Captain Eo, starring Michael Jackson.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Vader and Palpatine were kinda lame if you think about it

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Super Fan posted:

Vader and Palpatine were kinda lame if you think about it

They were good actually.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
The truth is somewhere in the middle.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Luke, Leia, Han, Teebo, Bobo Fett, Lando, Mon Mothra, Ackbar, Biggs + Wedge, Porkins, Maul, Jabba, Dengar(Mummy gently caress), Bossk, Frog-Dog, Old Ben Franklin, Jimmy Smits, Yoda, R2-D2 and C3PO(not people), Tarkin, and Greedo were kinda lame when you think about it.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

UmOk posted:

Luke, Leia, Han, Teebo, Bobo Fett, Lando, Mon Mothra, Ackbar, Biggs + Wedge, Porkins, Maul, Jabba, Dengar(Mummy gently caress), Bossk, Frog-Dog, Old Ben Franklin, Jimmy Smits, Yoda, R2-D2 and C3PO(not people), Tarkin, and Greedo were kinda lame when you think about it.

More effort please

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Super Fan posted:

More effort please

I literally put in 10x more effort than you when you think about it.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Anakin ( I don't draw a distinction between Vader and Anakin) spent his whole life under the thumb of other, more powerful or more responsible people. He's loving dork that got dunked on his whole life.

We only see Palpatine as an old man who got killed in the most embarrassing way imaginable.

They're both losers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

We only see Palpatine as an old man who got killed in the most embarrassing way imaginable.

Have you seen any Starr Wars? Like half of the cast dies from falling down holes.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

Have you seen any Starr Wars? Like half of the cast dies from falling down holes.

Do you make typos on purpose?

Yes, people in Star Wars fall down holes. Palpatines death was notably undignified and could have been avoided had he not been a moron.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yaws posted:

Do you make typos on purpose?

Yes, people in Star Wars fall down holes. Palpatines death was notably undignified and could have been avoided had he not been a moron.

A notably undignified death in the same movie where another villain is accidentally knocked into a giant anus.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

All characters in all movies are, by virtue of being characters and being in movies, cooler than all real-world people. Or at least all real-world people that your message-board-using rear end knows

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vinylshadow posted:

Even better: Remake Star Wars: Jedi Academy, but replace Jaden with Ben Solo and have the Dark Side ending be canon for once

Anyone else annoyed that Han and Leia named their son after:

a) someone Leia never met
b) someone Han only knew for like a hour.

Might as well have named him after Lobot.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

UmOk posted:

A notably undignified death in the same movie where another villain is accidentally knocked into a giant anus.

Boba Fett? He hardly qualifies. You're applying decades worth of fan service to him.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Davros1 posted:

Anyone else annoyed that Han and Leia named their son after:

a) someone Leia never met
b) someone Han only knew for like a hour.

Might as well have named him after Lobot.

I mean he was responsible for setting in motion the events that reunited her with her long lost brother and ended the Empire.

Its more odd that they chose his weird hermit alias than his real name.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

I mean he was responsible for setting in motion the events that reunited her with her long lost brother and ended the Empire.

Its more odd that they chose his weird hermit alias than his real name.

By hiding the fact that they were siblings. And that their father was Darth Vader. I mean, really all he did was negotiate plane tickets and flip a switch. That's not "Name our kid after him" status.

Should've named him Wedge. Now there was someone who got things done!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its because they chose Leia to live as royalty and luke a white trash dirt farmer. Thats name worthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Its because they chose Leia to live as royalty and luke a white trash dirt farmer. Thats name worthy

Did they ever do an Infinities were Luke was raised as a prince on Alderaan, and Leia just wanted to go to Toche Station to pick up some power converters?

• Locked thread