Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't think I've watched one full Friday the 13th movie, and I know more about Jason than about some people I work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Randaconda posted:

Hell, the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, while loving terrible, came in 2010 or so.

Jackie Earle Haley was good in it, though.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jackie Earle Haley was good in it, though.

Yeah, Haley was the only good part in it. The original Nightmare cost like 3 million bucks and still holds up today, but the remake... god, where do I even start

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a Friday the 13th remake maybe a year or two after it as well (though the thing folks sometimes forget about the original Friday movie is that Jason wasn't the villain in it - his mum was).

(Spoilers, by the way.)

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was a Friday the 13th remake maybe a year or two after it as well (though the thing folks sometimes forget about the original Friday movie is that Jason wasn't the villain in it - his mum was).

(Spoilers, by the way.)

The Friday remake was fine, it was drat near just another sequel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not even sure how far Freddie is a scary monster nowadays. He's scary in the first movie at the very least but I'm honestly a bit surprised that he never had a Saturday morning cartoon with a kid sidekick in the 80s. He did have a 1-800 number where kids could call in and talk to Freddie. If they remade Monster Squad, Freddie would be the evil-but-humorously-incompetent leader.

Jason is a scarier character than Freddie. I feel like Freddie is a bit too "I'M SCARY TERRY, BITCH!" at this point. You can make him scary again by easing off the Dream Warriors stuff but then where's the appeal?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not even sure how far Freddie is a scary monster nowadays. He's scary in the first movie at the very least but I'm honestly a bit surprised that he never had a Saturday morning cartoon with a kid sidekick in the 80s. He did have a 1-800 number where kids could call in and talk to Freddie. If they remade Monster Squad, Freddie would be the evil-but-humorously-incompetent leader.

Jason is a scarier character than Freddie. I feel like Freddie is a bit too "I'M SCARY TERRY, BITCH!" at this point. You can make him scary again by easing off the Dream Warriors stuff but then where's the appeal?

You are stupid as hell.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
Jason was also a playable character in Mortal Kombat X.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lmao at having a 1-800 number for kids to talk to a child molester.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

To be fair, that was never outright stated in the original, just hinted at.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Freddy - "So, what are you up to, bitch? I'm playing the latest video games, bitch! Between terrorizing teens like yourself, bitch! HA HA HA! Any girls you're interested in at school, bitch? Just remember "Freddy says treat girls with respect, bitch." If you wish to keep chatting with me, press 9 now, bitch."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

You are stupid as hell.

It's true. :smith:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

The original Nightmare is still a perfectly fine horror film. Of the sequels, the third one is the best, with the best balance of horror and humor.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Freddy - "So, what are you up to, bitch? I'm playing the latest video games, bitch! Between terrorizing teens like yourself, bitch! HA HA HA! Any girls you're interested in at school, bitch? Just remember "Freddy says treat girls with respect, bitch." If you wish to keep chatting with me, press 9 now, bitch."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgR9krQRHeA

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

say what you will about Freddy Krueger, but he never had to impersonate chicken nuggets to bugger a child

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The franchise that really gets no respect is Halloween, but it's their own fault for trying to do some dumbass anthology poo poo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Randaconda posted:

The original Nightmare is still a perfectly fine horror film. Of the sequels, the third one is the best, with the best balance of horror and humor.

I may be the only one, but I really enjoyed Wes Craven's New Nightmare, the one that broke the fourth wall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Craven%27s_New_Nightmare

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

I may be the only one, but I really enjoyed Wes Craven's New Nightmare, the one that broke the fourth wall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wes_Craven's_New_Nightmare

Yeah, I forgot about that one. That's a fine horror movie, as well.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

The franchise that really gets no respect is Halloween, but it's their own fault for trying to do some dumbass anthology poo poo.

Hell, even the third one is miles better than either of those lovely Rob Zombie Halloween movies.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Randaconda posted:

Hell, even the third one is miles better than either of those lovely Rob Zombie Halloween movies.

The third one is the best Halloween movie.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FactsAreUseless posted:

i've watched a whole bunch of the Halloween movies but basically cant remember anythig from them to save my life (barring the first one of course). i vaguely remember the climax of one of them where Donald Pleasance gets killed in a warehouse, but that's about it

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blind Sally posted:

i've watched a whole bunch of the Halloween movies but basically cant remember anythig from them to save my life (barring the first one of course). i vaguely remember the climax of one of them where Donald Pleasance gets killed in a warehouse, but that's about it

Only the first one matters, anyway, since it's a classic.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Randaconda posted:

Hell, the Nightmare on Elm Street remake, while loving terrible, came in 2010 or so.

... and New Line are currently planning on making another film and re-rebooting the franchise. There was also supposed to be a new Friday the 13th film this October but the production was closed down earlier this year a few weeks before shooting was scheduled to start.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... and New Line are currently planning on making another film and re-rebooting the franchise. There was also supposed to be a new Friday the 13th film this October but the production was closed down earlier this year a few weeks before shooting was scheduled to start.

Give it to the dude who just did It.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Randaconda posted:

The Friday remake was fine, it was drat near just another sequel.

In my head it was just a sequel and I can't think of a reasonable reason why it wasn't besides the suits telling me so.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Also Halloween is back next year with Jamie Lee Curtis again. It's apparently ignoring movies after Halloween 2 (including H2O to the annoyance of quite a few people).

Don't forget Leatherface. He's getting an origin movie this year, and according to reviews it might actually be the best Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie since the first one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

After this flash game killed Retsupurae, I can never forget Jason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9VWXIt_v08

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The second Chainsaw movie, where it was tongue in cheek, was watchable, but all the ones I've seen after that was trash.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cartoon Man posted:

Give it to the dude who just did It.

I haven't seen the new IT, but I did work my through the book while my power was out for a week from Irma. Is it good?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Freddy is not a very scary villain, the psychological impact of these movies comes mostly from the disturbing dreamlike atmosphere.

I've watched maybe seven Nightmare on Elm Street movies, the first one is still the best.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Randaconda posted:

I haven't seen the new IT, but I did work my through the book while my power was out for a week from Irma. Is it good?

Responses have been largely positive, and it's very popular - it's the most successful horror movie ever and probably will earn more than $300 million.

There's definitely a smaller contingent that doesn't like it at all, but I liked it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

Freddy is not a very scary villain, the psychological impact of these movies comes mostly from the disturbing dreamlike atmosphere.

I've watched maybe seven Nightmare on Elm Street movies, the first one is still the best.

I rewatched the first one not long ago, and it still holds up very well. It's pretty effective at a creepy atmosphere.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theflyingorc posted:

Responses have been largely positive, and it's very popular - it's the most successful horror movie ever and probably will earn more than $300 million.

There's definitely a smaller contingent that doesn't like it at all, but I liked it.

Well, drat. Guess I need to see it, since I love the book, and the miniseries, Tim Curry excepted, was pretty lame and handcuffed by being made for TV.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Last month I watched a bunch of those movies for the first time and here's my expert opinion.

1. Night of the Living Dead (rewatch)
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3. Halloween
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. buffer zone
6. nothing here
7. ...
8. <blank>
9. nada
10. Friday the 13th

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite is Phantasm.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a kitten posted:

Last month I watched a bunch of those movies for the first time and here's my expert opinion.

1. Night of the Living Dead (rewatch)
2. Texas Chainsaw Massacre
3. Halloween
4. Nightmare on Elm Street
5. buffer zone
6. nothing here
7. ...
8. <blank>
9. nada
10. Friday the 13th

By far the best Friday movie is the fourth one, featuring a pretty drat good performance by child Corey Feldman.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

My favourite is Phantasm.

BOYYYYYYYYY

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I remember liking The Evil Dead as a teenager, watching it alone in the middle of the night. If I tried watching it today, the poor production values would probably ruin the effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

I remember liking The Evil Dead as a teenager, watching it alone in the middle of the night. If I tried watching it today, the poor production values would probably ruin the effect.

Nah, both Evil Dead movies still hold up pretty well. Bad practical effects don't seem to have aged as badly as bad cgi has.