Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

track day bro! posted:

Palmer owns and has had insanely bad luck with his car exploding like almost every race, can't believe people hate the only non-fraud brit in F1. Also the Stroll hate is bizzare.

The fact that people would rather see a polish guy who is slowly morphing into frank williams with a gimp hand rather than Palmer is amazing, but this thread is full of weird fuckers who like a guy who farted in a press conference for a global sport so I just don't know.

Serious talk for a moment re: Stroll. I think the reason people are a bit sour on him is well, he's a pay driver (and his early season performance). I've admittedly warmed up a little to him, and feel he did need some time to adjust to the speed and whatnot of an F1 car. Unfortunately, that meant doing it in the racing equivalent of production, not as a test driver like most everyone else cut their teeth on.

Palmer is terrible though, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

learnincurve posted:

I'm not saying I want Lewis to take a steering column through the head*, but fate was listening when Are Dan asked her to have Seb take out Max...

*one princess Diana is enough

Lewis worships Senna as a god, and while it's fair enough that he's quite powerful in an F1 capacity, Yore Dan actually has God and his mates on speed dial.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

iospace posted:

Serious talk for a moment re: Stroll. I think the reason people are a bit sour on him is well, he's a pay driver (and his early season performance). I've admittedly warmed up a little to him, and feel he did need some time to adjust to the speed and whatnot of an F1 car. Unfortunately, that meant doing it in the racing equivalent of production, not as a test driver like most everyone else cut their teeth on.

Glad to see people are finally accepting the reality that Stroll is good.

Jolyowns is also good and is hampered by a poo poo car being sabotaged by fraud WDC nicknamed 'The Poofessor.'

hth.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

No he's really quite bad

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I will unironically champion Stroll for the driver that's most impressed me this season. Not a very high bar to elevate himself from admittedly but plenty of other "drivers"* have failed to make any forward progress at all.

* Ericsson, Whirline(sp), Grosjean, Massa, Palmer, Vettel

E: forgot Magnussen
E2: and Kvyat

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Don't make me seriouspost op, but this thread (like most F1 threads) are insanely polarizing when it comes to how good a driver is. Either they are amazing or absolute dogshit. I don't think Palmer is gonna be amazing but, I recon he probably can be better than his results show like yeah he's probably not as good as hulkenberg but then I don't think he should be over a second slower than him. He's lost a shitload of testing time over the season due to mechanical failure or having someone else take his seat during sessions. Plus a fair few failures during quali and race JFC why am I defending Palmer ffs.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ericsson is way worse

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Reminder that Red Bull dropped Jean eric vergne and kept Kvyat for some reason

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I feel like Ericsson can't be that bad, if he was he'd be notable enough that I'd remember he exists

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

I want whatever he's smoking. :350:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

I want whatever he's smoking. :350:

Probably bath salts.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every Scuderia Ferrari driver is the best ever and the rest loving sucks and should be banned from the sport.

Hope that helps

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

Every Scuderia Ferrari driver is the best ever and the rest loving sucks and should be banned from the sport.

Hope that helps

This is true and yes it does help!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

iospace posted:

Stroll is garbage and has been flattered by the utterly contemptable field he's been surrounded by this year. In a more competitive grid, he'd be at the back like the garbageman he is. Consider the tripe he's actually competing against:

Massa (a dead man)
Grosjean (who can't go a race without losing his mind or binning it)
Magnussen (also kinda meh for the most part)
Kvyat (lol)
Sainz (good, but the car isn't)
Hulkenberg (very good and would be miles ahead if the car was better)
Palmer (hahahahaha)
Vandoorne (maybe good? Who knows in that car)
Alonso (the lich of Alonso would destroy Stroll in a non poo poo car)
Ericsson (probably poo poo, but who knows in that Sauber)
Wehrlein (I don't know if I spelt his name right and I don't care).
Perez (good when he's not crashing into his team mate)
Ocon (same as above)

The reality is, in any race that isn't a chassis special like Monaco or Sinagpore, if he was an actually talented driver who belonged in F1, he should be mixing it up with the force indias/just behind the red bulls. Except for the absurd Baku, he'd have 13 points, behind Grosjean and barely ahead of Magnussen.

A reminder that he didn't score a fantastic 3rd in Baku, but lost an easy 2nd to a hard charging Bottas who shouldn't have caught him if he'd been competent.

In short, he's woeful, even after all the extra help and practice he's had.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Theophany posted:

Probably bath salts.

if it is anything like the one guy i race with, it's actually just plain old cocaine.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carth Dookie posted:

The reality is, in any race that isn't a chassis special like Monaco or Sinagpore, if he was an actually talented driver who belonged in F1, he should be mixing it up with the force indias/just behind the red bulls. Except for the absurd Baku, he'd have 13 points, behind Grosjean and barely ahead of Magnussen.

A reminder that he didn't score a fantastic 3rd in Baku, but lost an easy 2nd to a hard charging Bottas who shouldn't have caught him if he'd been competent.

In short, he's woeful, even after all the extra help and practice he's had.

He dragged the F1 equivalent of 1500quid's kart to 4th in Monza after a loving inspired qualifying performance in the wet.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Lol, yes. That williams car that is untouchable by mercedes unless the driver is garbage, no excuse for stroll to have been ran down by bottas. 0 excuse, garbage driver in the best car.

wait gently caress thats bottas

also, might i add, if 13 of the drivers are apparantly so bad that even stroll is comparable to them, what makes f1 the pinnacle of racing anyways?

OhsH fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 18, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Stroll is not that bad. Staggeringly inexperienced, struggling to cope with the car and probably not on the same plane of skill that Waffles (who has been genuinely impressive given how utterly garbage his car is) exists on, but he's definitely got promise.
The kid is like 18, give him a couple years to see if he sticks or not.

Ericsson is garbage but he's gonna stick in F1 because there's real money behind him, Wehrlein is garbage and probably finished in F1.

Jolyon is on the verge of washing out of F1 and I'm amazed it's taken this long, Hulkenberg is a decent driver but I get the impression he's gonna get humiliated by Sainz next year.

I don't know why Kvyat is still in F1 (I guess Mateschitz decided Lada money was worth more than having a second team that isn't humiliatingly bad) and Sainz is potentially decent.

The McLaren is so bad it's hard to tell where the drivers in it are right now, but Waffles looks decent and Nando is Nando.

Grosjean appears to be losing his patience with the sheer lack of progress from Haas but it's worth noting that he's 15 points ahead of his teammate indicating some level of consistency in a car that is more or less hot garbage while Magnussen seems to be the Max Verstappen of the midfield.

As I said before, Stroll is doing fine. Williams are reaching more or less the nadir of their performance and they need to do big things to turn it around; they say they want to but we'll see. Massa is a garbageman this season.

Perez looks to have really found his footing in F1 which is good and the thought that they have Ocon on lockdown is probably keeping Toto awake at night with a large erection.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 18, 2017

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The Stroll owns. I really don't know what reality people are existing in when they say Stoffel has done good this year.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Wirth1000 posted:

Right, ok, I forgot that bit. Martini has a big say in their primary driver and the guy has to be older than 25 so they can actually, you know, use him actively in alcohol marketing.

Bobby K may be too hideous for them, Jolyon is one bad bump off a kerb from dialysis and everyone else in F1 are literal children.

Welcome back, Paul di Resta.

palmer has one kidney? How did that happen?
Together with weird arm K, Willie wheels and hulk hair stroll they could look like a comic book character bin.

mrfart fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 18, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't like Stroll because I have met that type of Nouveau riche kid in real life, all money, no class, never put in any effort because why should they when they can just pay other people to do it. Maybe he is good enough to have made it into F1 , but he never actually had to try because his dad thought "I'm a billionaire, lol why should he" and bought him his way through the lower formulars. Which is just jarring when you have a grid full of rich kids, or talented kids being bankrolled by works teams/red bull, who did do all of the grunt work. We have no team mate to compare him to, Massa is old, slow, and not fit enough to be a real bar, if he can beat somone relevant then I'll Judge him again, but right now he's a waste of a mediocre seat.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Hi guys, I made a neat little chart for you all as it seems there has been a lot of Rubens' suspension flying around at head height.

hth.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
100% chance that the Williams is actually a much better car then the Force India/Renault/Toro Rosso and the team has lost a shitload of points because they have the worst driver pairing on the grid.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
according to some people the williams could even best the great mercedes, and by proxy to that forza ferrari if only they had drivers that were better than noted formula one record holding podium finishing lAnce sTroll

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

AgentJotun posted:

100% chance that the Williams is actually a much better car then the Force India/Renault/Toro Rosso and the team has lost a shitload of points because they have the worst driver pairing on the grid.

More likely than the Fellow who designed the Mercedes and knows all the cheat codes, designing the Williams, with the same engine as the Mercedes, suddenly creating a complete dog of a car.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

AgentJotun posted:

It's better than the Renault (and the results back that up) and probably the Force India (but FI's drivers and strategies have been ballsy as gently caress) but it's probably worse than the TR, hth.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

Probably bath salts.

In before Lewis turns into a human zombie and tries to eat another driver's face off

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

In before Lewis turns into a human zombie and tries to eat another driver's face off

~*~*~*~*Senna made me do it*~*~*~*~

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don use Enzo´s name in vain, you fuccman

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

OhsH posted:

if it is anything like the one guy i race with, it's actually just plain old cocaine.

Tell us what it's like to race with Forums Poster Tony Montana :allears:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-finds-adapting-to-change-hard-says-honda-954909/

lol at the unrestrained mudslinging that's going to go on for the next few months now neither McLaren or Honda give a gently caress about each other

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna go for the middle ground. The Williams is a good chassis on certain circuits (power circuits) but it clearly struggles on high downforce or slow, twisty circuits. Stroll has been flattered by the car on the tracks that are suited to it. He's also been pretty fortunate in other races, such as Baku and Singapore. He's probably not the worst driver ever to set foot into an F1 car but he should have gone to F2 first.

Chassis wise, it probably goes;

- Mercedes
-Red Bull or Ferrari
-Mclaren*
-Force India
-Williams
-Renault
-Toro Rosso or Haas
-Sauber

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah is Mclaren´s fault that you gave them poo poo engines for three years. gently caress off Honda

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclaren-finds-adapting-to-change-hard-says-honda-954909/

lol at the unrestrained mudslinging that's going to go on for the next few months now neither McLaren or Honda give a gently caress about each other

This is really rich coming from a Japanese megacorporation. Read about the the internal workings of the Toyota F1 team to get an idea of how these guys work.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

~*~*~*~*Senna made me do it*~*~*~*~

Unironically, in America, that would probably get him acquitted of murder in court

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GramCracker posted:

Tell us what it's like to race with Forums Poster Tony Montana :allears:

he was much faster off the cocaine

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm gonna go for the middle ground. The Williams is a good chassis on certain circuits (power circuits) but it clearly struggles on high downforce or slow, twisty circuits. Stroll has been flattered by the car on the tracks that are suited to it. He's also been pretty fortunate in other races, such as Baku and Singapore. He's probably not the worst driver ever to set foot into an F1 car but he should have gone to F2 first.

- Mercedes
-Red Bull or Ferrari
-Mclaren*
-Force India
-Williams
-Renault
-Toro Rosso or Haas
-Sauber

Toro Ross are above Williams and maybe FI on chassis. They have a 2016 dogshit Ferrari (but I repeat myself) engine in there and they're still doing ok. Or their one good driver is at least

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Toro Rosso are using Renaults this year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

- Mercedes
-Red Bull or Ferrari
-Mclaren*
-Force India
-Williams
-Renault
-Toro Rosso or Haas
-Sauber

The Force India isn't a good chassis.
They figured out that the best overtaking points are literally right after the longer straights and they have the best engine so gently caress it, why not just strip all the aero out and make it a car that is loving nuts in a straight line but gets slaughtered coming out of corners. Mercedes did vaguely the same thing, but more sophisticated like.

I think Williams lost their mind 2 years ago and spent a large chunk of their comparatively finite time, effort and money closing the gap to Ferrari and Red Bull and that's really compromised their design decisions.

The Mercedes is also not a great chassis and it's clearly not as good in all situations as the Ferrari and Red Bull are.

IMHO it's:
Ferrari/Red Bull (probably RB, but it's hard to tell)
Merc
Big Gap
McLaren
Big Gap
TR
FI
Williams
Gigantic Gap to the Garbage Zone
Renault
Haas
Sauber

NtotheTC posted:

Toro Ross are above Williams and maybe FI on chassis. They have a 2016 dogshit Ferrari (but I repeat myself) engine in there and they're still doing ok. Or their one good driver is at least

TR have a good chassis, but they're using the Renault engine as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'm not sure how long I'm going to last before blowing my brains out hearing Zak Brown pronounce 'Renault' like a loving dickhead.

• Locked thread