Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ohgodwhat posted:

We're talking about US expats, not the average global citizen. Do you think 100k is a massive amount of money for them?
Income, not net worth. It's not huge but it's not tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My kid is a dualie and sometimes I think it would be better if he wasn't. He won't be able to open up the equivalent of a 529 or roth 401k in his country because the IRS will tax it as a foreign income trust. If he gets some lovely paper route at 13 he'll have to figure out binational tax laws or hire someone who does at roughly 1500 a pop. Some banks won't do business with him because FACTA compliance is complicated and requires them to become de facto agents of the IRS by collecting and reporting information to the US. Can't have joint accounts when he does find a bank because assets could be subject to seizure by virtue of being tied to him.

That 100k exemption doesn't mean poo poo in cases when the cost of compliance is a gigantic perpetual vexatious extraterritorial non-reciprocal pain in the rear end. Non-compliance or relinquishing citizenship would avoid some of these problems in exchange for never being able to enter the US, which might actually be a worse alternative. If he happens to have a high demand skillset when he's older then being able to move to the US for work without a H1B could be an advantage. Until then the only benefit he's looking at is in-state tuition and the opportunity to get harassed for not being white enough in the southern state he was born in.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ohgodwhat posted:

We're talking about US expats, not the average global citizen. Do you think 100k is a massive amount of money for them?

yes and also get over it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

My kid is a dualie and sometimes I think it would be better if he wasn't. He won't be able to open up the equivalent of a 529 or roth 401k in his country because the IRS will tax it as a foreign income trust. If he gets some lovely paper route at 13 he'll have to figure out binational tax laws or hire someone who does at roughly 1500 a pop. Some banks won't do business with him because FACTA compliance is complicated and requires them to become de facto agents of the IRS by collecting and reporting information to the US. Can't have joint accounts when he does find a bank because assets could be subject to seizure by virtue of being tied to him.

That 100k exemption doesn't mean poo poo in cases when the cost of compliance is a gigantic perpetual vexatious extraterritorial non-reciprocal pain in the rear end. Non-compliance or relinquishing citizenship would avoid some of these problems in exchange for never being able to enter the US, which might actually be a worse alternative. If he happens to have a high demand skillset when he's older then being able to move to the US for work without a H1B could be an advantage. Until then the only benefit he's looking at is in-state tuition and the opportunity to get harassed for not being white enough in the southern state he was born in.

Unless he's making more than like $4000 a year at that paper route I don't think he has to file taxes

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Senor Dog posted:

yes and also get over it

Not really, actually, unless you have different numbers on the incomes of US expats?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The vast majority of American expats are ESL teachers getting paid poo poo, so...

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

You have data on that I presume?

E: not trying to be a jerk, I would actually be interested. I've only found a few things on expat income and I could see them ignoring that contingent.

ohgodwhat fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 18, 2017

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Guest2553 posted:

Your kid can luckily relinquish his American citizenship at age 18 at no cost to himself. My Canadian wife looked this up before we got married to make sure any kids we have wouldn't inherit terminal americanism from me similar to us getting checked for other genetic disorders.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you people are dumb as gently caress if you think dumping your kids american citizenship is a good idea

have you dumb motherfuckers even seen what the canadian job market is liek

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

ohgodwhat posted:

$100k is a massive amount of money now?

Congratulations, your :can: worked

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I present the thread with more weapons grade BWM to get it back on track:

Wife Cheated / Is Leaving I'm Screwed
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/70s4yy/wife_cheated_is_leaving_im_screwed/

quote:

I recently took a job that took my pay from 25 an hour to 17 an hour with amazing benefits. My wife's daughter is a type 1 diabetic and it made sense.
The problem is she cheated and is leaving me. With the following:
$20,000 in credit card debt ($600 a month on debt management plan already) $405 one car payment (mine, 1.5 years left, $-3000 neg equity) $465 car payment (5.5 years left, $-4000 neg equity) ~$600 a month in all other bills.
My bring home is $1500 a month now. I am hosed and have no clue what to do. Not paying either car payment isn't an option. My mom consigned the first car, grandpa the second. I will not gently caress up their credit. I have no clue what to do. In addition to being the biggest loving mess ever emotionally, I am financially ruined. I live for free at home with parents. 26m, work full time, school full time.
Edit: she has two kids prior to marriage. Debt is in my name because she can't get credit or a loan has horrible credit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just in case I got you another one:

What Is My Best Option To Get Out of This Financial Mess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/70s7ts/what_is_my_best_option_to_get_out_of_this/

quote:

Hello, Me
I'm in my late twenties and am in serious financial trouble. I'd like some help devising a plan out of my situation, please.
My Income and Monthly Expenses
I make slightly over $60K a year, and take home approximately $3420/month. I've been told I can work an extra hour and make nearly $68K and take home about $3845/month. This is not too bad on paper, but I have substantial and significant debt that I racked up in school. As of some time ago, I am not purchasing anything through credit cards of loans, but am having a hard time paying off my debt.
I pay $700 in rent, $125 in utilities, $80 for my phone, $250 for gas, $60 in subscription services and a variable amount in food.
MY Debt * I owe a whopping $84,453.77 in student loans, broken down here:
Type | Balance | Interest Rate Subsidized | 4559.95 | 5.350 Subsidized | 5571.40 | 4.250 Subsidized | 5569.06 | 3.150 Subsidized | 1887.41 | 3.150 Subsidized |1013.05 | 4.250 Subsidized | 4559.95 | 5.350 Unsubsidized |3016.80 | 6.550 Unsubsidized | 2870.66 | 6.550 Unsubsidized | 2739.95 | 6.550 Unsubsidized | 878.73 | 6.550 Unsubsidized | 8172.64 |5.160 Unsubsidized | 21346.65 | 5.960 Unsubsidized | 22267.52 | 5.590 Total Balance - 84,453.77 * I also owe $8261.43 on a car, with payments of $408.05/month, and 22 payments remaining. Note: I always see everyone suggest that people get rid of their car. I need this car, and can't sell it.
I also owe $5,972.69 in credit cards at $135/month, with (promotional rate) 0% interest.
Finally, I have a personal loan with my credit union for $9706.20 with 53 payments of approximately $230/month
Given all of this, how can I get out of this situation as quickly as possible? My idea was to attack the car loan, although it is the one with the lowest interest rate, it frees up $400 a month to pay towards all other loans. I was thinking I should focus on my student loans last, but I am not sure if that is the best way to handle this situation.
What do you guys recommend? What will save me the most money in the long run?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

quote:

she has two kids prior to marriage. Debt is in my name because she can't get credit or a loan has horrible credit.

She just married him to wrack up debts and then move on when everything was too hosed to continue. A genuinely horrible person, amazing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/70s4yy/wife_cheated_is_leaving_im_screwed/

mmm here's my favorite piece of advice so far:

hell2pay posted:

Can you get a student loan to cover the buyout of both or at least one car?

followed by:

debt2set posted:

I'm not sure, but I think the debts go entirely into her name after the divorce.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 18, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ohgodwhat posted:

$100k is a massive amount of money now?

Oh boy it's time for this bullshit again!!!

Motronic posted:

Muuuuuch better, looks like you caught it before the deletion, too.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Motronic posted:

Just in case I got you another one:

What Is My Best Option To Get Out of This Financial Mess?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/70s7ts/what_is_my_best_option_to_get_out_of_this/

Without more details on this guy's situation, this seems more like a "death of the middle class" story than a BWM story.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
FACTA is really ducking onerous, and why there is an exemption on paying tax on income under 100k or so, compliance with FACTA will cost you $1500 a year in accounting fees while also making your life hell. As I understand it you have to report any account you have authority on that holds more then 10k at any point over the course of the year. This runs the gamut from standard checking accounts to business accounts that you have authority to spend on behalf of. It’s a giant nightmare and giving up American citizenship to get out of taxes is GWM/GWL because it’s such a mess.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Had lunch with some acquaintances today and they mentioned they were bidding on an apartment unit from a foreclosure auction. It sounded like some frighteningly bad bwmism:

1) Mentioned that they got financing for it at 12% from some non bank lender because "most lenders won't lend to you for this because it's so risky"

2) Apparently you don't get any information about the unit you're buying in these auctions. They're basically incredibly expensive storage unit auctions and you might end up buying a place that still has tenants who don't want to leave.

3) They mentioned that they really couldn't afford it, but if they could flip it within 6 months they could come out on top.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Punkbob posted:

FACTA is really ducking onerous, and why there is an exemption on paying tax on income under 100k or so, compliance with FACTA will cost you $1500 a year in accounting fees while also making your life hell. As I understand it you have to report any account you have authority on that holds more then 10k at any point over the course of the year. This runs the gamut from standard checking accounts to business accounts that you have authority to spend on behalf of. It’s a giant nightmare and giving up American citizenship to get out of taxes is GWM/GWL because it’s such a mess.

If the dollar value total of all your foreign bank accounts (based on the highest dollar amount in each one on any calendar day of the year) is over $10,000, then you have to report all of your holdings.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

El Mero Mero posted:

Had lunch with some acquaintances today and they mentioned they were bidding on an apartment unit from a foreclosure auction. It sounded like some frighteningly bad bwmism:

This reminded me of a great BWM story I read a few years back: Winning bid on mortgage buys family heartache. A family found the perfect house in a foreclosure auction, except that they had no clue how foreclosure auctions worked so they ended up spending $98k on a second mortgage. You might expect a newspaper to publish an article like this to say "here's another way banks are screwing over the little guy", but it's actually treated as a straightforward cautionary tale.

quote:

The Strands found the house on RealtyTrac, a subscription website that lists foreclosure actions filed with the county. They drove by and looked in the windows. They thought the house was probably worth about $200,000. (This month Santa Cruz assessed the home for tax purposes at $200,000.)

Didn't getting it for half price raise any red flags?

"We thought, this is a good deal, but didn't think it was a great deal," Roberta said. "The house was a mess."

Did they think they had clear title?

"It didn't occur to me that a bank could auction off a worthless piece of paper," Roberta said. She looked up the property's records at the courthouse. Since both loans were recorded at the same time and date, she mistakenly thought it was a single loan.

Why would a bank sell a second mortgage that may have no value?

While Wells declined to directly answer this question, its legal filings in this case said California law adds a 90-day delay to the foreclosure process for first mortgages. Second mortgages can be foreclosed upon more quickly, which presumably is what happened in this case. Wells had to offer the second mortgage in a courthouse-step auction because California requires that as part of the foreclosure process.

The few investors who do bid at courthouse auctions generally are sophisticated enough to research outstanding liens. If no one bids - as happens more than 90 percent of the time - the loan automatically reverts to the lender.

It would be a rare investor nowadays who would bid on a junior lien, so the expected outcome would have been the loan going back to the lender.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Guest2553 posted:

Thanks for sharing this! Our daughter has British and US citizenship and I didn't even really consider that there were drawbacks.

All though we live in the US so I think she won't have to worry about the tax stuff unless she moves to England when she's older since the British aren't dicks about it.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Devian666 posted:

She just married him to wrack up debts and then move on when everything was too hosed to continue. A genuinely horrible person, amazing.

Well I think that in most states any debt or assets acquired in marriage are jointly owned so he's only responsible for half technically.

My cousin got burned by this with her lovely ex. He had massive debts when they got married and she worked her rear end off to get them all paid down. Once they separated, but before they filed any divorce paperwork (they were broke obviously), he wracked up over 20k in CC debt. He then filed bankruptcy and they all came after her. She had to file bankruptcy to get out of that.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SquirrelFace posted:

Well I think that in most states any debt or assets acquired in marriage are jointly owned so he's only responsible for half technically.

My cousin got burned by this with her lovely ex. He had massive debts when they got married and she worked her rear end off to get them all paid down. Once they separated, but before they filed any divorce paperwork (they were broke obviously), he wracked up over 20k in CC debt. He then filed bankruptcy and they all came after her. She had to file bankruptcy to get out of that.

I know in the UK that if you've got a joint debt then both parties are responsible for the full amount until it's cleared, and most financial institutions won't let you split a joint debt (because why reduce their chances of getting the full amount back?). In that guy's case he'd just be hosed because it's all in his name and no bank would give a poo poo that he got the loan for someone else not named on the credit card or loan agreement.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he’s hosed because he has more to lose.

On the plus side he’s learned his lesson whereas she’s learned the opposite. Check back on them in 20 years and he will probably be doing better.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hoodwinker posted:

Income, not net worth. It's not huge but it's not tiny.

The exemption is $95,000 for *earned* income. Unearned income has no exemption and is taxed regardless of level. Dividends, interest, rental income, all that stuff, you are taxed on all of it. And the exemption only applies if you file a tax return, so even if you're making far below $95,000 you still need to file your 1040 just like you lived back in America or they can, and have been known to, come after everything.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

quote:

I can't really do a lot of house repairs besides basic stuff like change lightbulbs or wait for the repairman. I have a mobility problem due to my weight because of some medical issues I have.

So she's not mobile enough to work or do more than change a lightbulb, but she's somehow mobile enough that she will be able to keep an entire house clean?

Dude should hire a maid and dump her. A maid is cheaper than half the equity.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I found an exclusive photo of this woman

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Nail Rat posted:

I found an exclusive photo of this woman

Inaccurate, Homer was still earning a paycheck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Phanatic posted:

The exemption is $95,000 for *earned* income. Unearned income has no exemption and is taxed regardless of level. Dividends, interest, rental income, all that stuff, you are taxed on all of it. And the exemption only applies if you file a tax return, so even if you're making far below $95,000 you still need to file your 1040 just like you lived back in America or they can, and have been known to, come after everything.

Plus you have to file all that FBAR poo poo I think.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Ebola Roulette posted:

So she's not mobile enough to work or do more than change a lightbulb, but she's somehow mobile enough that she will be able to keep an entire house clean?

There are some terrible people out there, but there are also a lot of redpill shitheads on reddit that would make a fake post like this as well. Overweight/immobile, doesn't work, trying to get money from a former employer, overspending, CC debt, trying to offer above asking price, stating specifically that they want to get on the title but not the mortgage, mom and sisters agree and everyone is trying to convince the poor boyfriend.

bfwants posted:

And it's not like if we got a cheaper home and he put the extra money into stocks I could put my name also on his stocks. Unless I could somehow? We're not even close to being married or anything.

It's a little too on the nose.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SquirrelFace posted:

What people often seem to forget is that the divorce decree can't force the lenders to put her name on those debts instead. If she fails to pay him her portion of the debt, or just pays him late, he's stuck holding the bag.

Here's some content, Leon did someone from your office write in?
http://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/my-coworker-keeps-asking-everyone-for-loans.html

http://www.askamanager.org/2017/09/my-coworker-keeps-asking-everyone-for-loans.html posted:

Since last holiday season when my office hired Cersei, she has quietly hit up almost everyone in our small office for various short-term personal loans...My colleague Sansa, who fell for one of her sob stories, lent her the $1,000+ amount and waited through months of flimsy promises before it was repaid.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 18, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
But I heard a Lannister always pays their debts :downsrim:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I don’t understand it, but somehow people get coworkers to loan them money. We had one lady (at the bank none the less) who borrowed money from other tellers and drove a BMW with a perpetual dealer tag.

I guess it’s sheer persistence because you’ve got to see this person every day and unless you want to be the bad guy and get HR involved they’re just going to keep asking until you give in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Krispy Kareem posted:

I don’t understand it, but somehow people get coworkers to loan them money. We had one lady (at the bank none the less) who borrowed money from other tellers and drove a BMW with a perpetual dealer tag.

I guess it’s sheer persistence because you’ve got to see this person every day and unless you want to be the bad guy and get HR involved they’re just going to keep asking until you give in.

Yeah, when I worked retail and when I delivered pizzas, there were a couple people who would always need to bum rides (one was a man in his mid 40's who had never had a driver's license, the other lost her license for a couple years due to DUI)

If you say no the first time, they typically never ask again. Instead, they will hound the people who have ever given them a ride once and it becomes an expectation.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Fortunately, that seems to be the one area of BWM that I have never seen with anyone in my office.

Although, the Debbie retirement party saga ended with a semi-boring and anti-climactic loan from coworkers that is never going to be repaid.

Not enough people showed up, but the venue ended up making fewer dishes and charging us less because we gave them two days notice. They still charged the $500 fee for having 50% fewer people show up than the package we bought accommodated. Two managers paid $100 out of pocket each and they took $300 from the "employee appreciation fund" to cover the rest.

They are going to try and set bigger fundraising goals or just downsize our non-denominational holiday party that happens the week before Christmas.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
this exact same conversation came up like a billion pages back and we already concluded that $100k isn't much for a skilled expat worker (i.e. not an english "teacher")

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Zo posted:

this exact same conversation came up like a billion pages back and we already concluded that $100k isn't much for a skilled expat worker (i.e. not an english "teacher")

They should probably stay out of France then. The French have practice with this sort of thing.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Kareem posted:

Maybe it is because I work for a bank but at my company it is against the code of ethics to borrow or lend money between co-workers, same as it s against our code of ethics to make wagers between co-workers. It makes it really easy to say no.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Help! We're buying a food truck and we're in brand new territory! Advice/suggestions/help not losing our footing financially?

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/70wzc4/help_were_buying_a_food_truck_and_were_in_brand/

quote:

Hello!
My two good friends and I are looking into buying a food truck. We would be buying an existing truck and trailer, equipped and more or less ready to go, for $25,000. It's a pretzel truck. The truck itself is in good shape (we're having a mechanic look at it this week), a 2006 Chevy with only about 60k on it. The trailer is a 17-foot. It comes with an oven and a backup oven, a generator, a soda fridge, a mixer, an ice maker, a pretzel warmer, and a lot of other smaller-scale gear, and includes the three-bay-sink we need for health inspections. The owners are offering to come out with us for the first couple of events and show us the ropes - and though we can have their name and their recipe and everything, and they're happy to help us with what they can (they're retired), they haven't operated the truck in four years, so we're not buying a business as much as we're buying equipment.

We would need to take out a business loan of about 35k - as far as I understand, insurance and registrations fees for events can be hefty. Then we wouldn't be able to get into full swing until the Spring, since it's about to get too cold for food trucks in central new york (right, or are there winter options for food trucks in places where it gets seriously cold?).

I'm scared because I feel like making a business plan is hard when I know so little about this market (we are researching, of course, but there is only so much you can learn before you actually do). It's hard for us to see what our earning potential is here. If you have any advice - any red flags to look out for - if you have any idea how much one can earn from this kind of endeavor - if the amount we're buying it for sounds insanely high or suspicious in any other way - I would so appreciate any and all input.
Thank you!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I remember that Simpsons episode.