Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
The Shadow Dragon is the Fire Moth. You can see the alternate names on the first page of the thread, fourth post down.

LegendairyBovine fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
After perusing the first few posts, and the single link that mentions it, it appears the Wolf Spider's picture has disappeared from time and space, and I still have no idea what it is.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Strobe posted:

After perusing the first few posts, and the single link that mentions it, it appears the Wolf Spider's picture has disappeared from time and space, and I still have no idea what it is.

If memory serves, it's a Widowmaker specific off-shoot of the Timber Wolf/Mad Cat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Strobe posted:

More Marauder, less Catapult.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Shadow Dragon

:vince:

PoptartsNinja posted:

More Marauder, less Catapult.

This thread has produced some good rear end art.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
You can see some sprites/variants in the Ikuta Glacier mission or on PTN's patreon.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Suddenly the unfamiliar icon on the map makes sense. Thank you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wonder where the rest of orange star is. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I see five on the map.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that all the enemies are going to use Walking/Cruising speed until alerted. Even if the one on the far left of the map is a Dasher/Shadow Dragon, we've still got one turn of free moving while most of our movement options are obscured. The biggest question mark in terms of next turn enemy movement is the orange suspected Wolf Spider, which if correct and headed "this way", will end up being able to see juuuust fine down that long boulevard that splits the LAG contingent.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So which way are the Roughnecks looking at moving? Maybe try to thread the needle through those two buildings right in front of us? they're not fast but they might be able to avoid the first set of patrols that way. I wouldn't trust the dice to let you kill anything quickly.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Oh man, a lot of things to unpack here. I'm going to assume the lines correspond to the 'mechs on it, with each dot on a line representing where it'll move each turn?
Looks like nothing really paths down in the south-east corner, which may be a good place to move to first and start setting up plans to ambush lone scouts to kill them off, or to just observe patterns for a turn or two.

That said, we have a few 'mechs separated, most importantly the Charger and Quickdraw set up in the stadium at 1334 and 1535. First glance, they look like they should be safe, but the suspected Dasher at 0728 will see the Charger in the stadium once it reaches 1032-1033, thanks to it's Active Probe (unless you opt for shutting down the hidden 'mechs in the stadium for some reason, but I dunno if that's much fun for their players), so it'll have to move sooner rather than later, which all hinges on where/how the two ?Dashers? out in front of the stadium move.

:allears:

Edit: I worry that taking out either of the pink ?Dashers? would mean the northern 'mechs coming south to investigate, given that their patrols range through every other scouts patrol areas, and them not showing up on time should raise an alarm, especially in a city under siege.

Keru fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 18, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's a good insight on the blips, I didn't even notice them. And it took me until your post to realize that the Charger and Quickdraw weren't part of the main element. Based on the blips, the Charger is the only one threatened by that particular probe, and that can be fixed at least in the short term by stepping forward one hex. The other stopping points don't get a probe within four hexes.

I'm in the red Roughneck (hereafter referred to as "Frosty"). The current initial plan is to spend three turns movement to set up in 1044 facing 1047 and wait for the scout. That will give short range with the MLs, long with the SL, and a mere +1 penalty with the PPCs with no AMM and a +3 TMM. Would be looking at 7s with the MLs, 8s with the PPCs, and 11 with the SL. Based on the distance between points on the route, the pink target that will come closest to us has to be able to make 9/14 or better, which makes it very likely it's a Dasher. Other (unlikely) possibilities include: Piranha, Snow Fox, Icestorm, Hellion, Vixen/Incubus, and Phantom. I don't think any of those could take a good turn of fire from more than a couple 'Mechs.

We should be able to set up a good ambush with a little luck. Taking out the pink route that comes closest to the main body would let us isolate and take down the left side orange route, which would give us pretty much uncontested control of the southwest quarter of the map. With that, and some good timing, we might be able to sneak by the middle patrol 'Mech and investigate the sites.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It looks like you all should be able to set up a good ambush for the patrolling scout on the furthest southern pink path- It goes close enough out of los of any other patrols that you can all easily jump in and block it/kill it quickly, which then gives you a ton more room to maneuver, since it's the only one really doing extensive patrols in the southern area where most of you all are.

Somewhere are around 1047 should be a good ish spot. Same thing for the far south western scout on the short circle route there. Perfect chance to isolate and kill off a mech quickly.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Had to consult rules on Magshot Gauss (didn't even think that infantry-served gear would work retrofitted on a 'Mech, but I get more gauss fun), but we also have something to consider: with anti-infantry weapons and the active probes, we should consider the possibility of soft targets concealed along these routes.

With a 4/6 and Piloting 5, I'm hoping to avoid too many turns until it's a bit more pressing, but with the long range on the Gauss and LPL, I think that shouldn't be too dangerous so long as we keep communication lines clear.

Personally, I'm hoping that massed fire on anything that initially discovers us helps keep things down.

Additional question: how would ECM and enemy comms work? I know that laser-comms (can't remember the exact term) can function in it, but the sheer amount we have, as well as the emphasis on preventing alarms from being raised, means we might get some use out of jamming communications to buy a little time.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Oh hell I'm up and have boots on Luthien? Life is good. Not so good that I'm out front and didn't bring any jump jets, but you take what you can get!

It looks like I can open up by moving into 1842, that should keep me out of LoS and probe range. I can try to swing left, but I don't think anyone on the right side of the map is going to get much firepower on that first scout.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hedningen posted:

I'm hoping to avoid too many turns

Don't worry about that.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I want to make sure I'm clear on how these building hexes work. The number is the number of hexes tall the building is, but my Charger can hop over a building of any height as long as it only moves within 5 Jumping MP laterally, right? Also, my 80-ton 'Mech could land on the roof of a Heavy or Hardened building without collapsing it, but that would be stupid while we're trying to be stealthy because all the enemy units around would instantly see me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A good poster posted:

I want to make sure I'm clear on how these building hexes work. The number is the number of hexes tall the building is, but my Charger can hop over a building of any height as long as it only moves within 5 Jumping MP laterally, right? Also, my 80-ton 'Mech could land on the roof of a Heavy or Hardened building without collapsing it, but that would be stupid while we're trying to be stealthy because all the enemy units around would instantly see me.

Unfortunately no, your charger's Jump rating covers both distance in hexes and height in levels so most of those buildings actually are still an obstacle. However, the stadium is only 4 levels high so you can infer that this hiding place was chosen specifically because you and the Quickdraw can both jump out of it and ambush some sucker.

As a digression, this does mean the Urbanmech's jumpjets are actually incapable of clearing most urban obstacles.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xarbala posted:

As a digression, this does mean the Urbanmech's jumpjets are actually incapable of clearing most urban obstacles.

He's more of a Suburbanmech.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Bandersnatch
Not seeing a lot of movement options available for myself and hedningen at the moment. No jumpjets means plodding forward around buildings, and we're kind of surrounded on all sides by those. Leaves us with either the option to roll in force through the middle, or split off into a 2man commando squad to try sneaking along the west flank.

If going through the middle, it looks like I might want to try running to 1346, but since I'd be doing a turn on asphalt, would that force a PSR?

Along the side, I think simply moving forward to 1146, to stay close to a hole-puncher without clogging up movement lanes yet. This could work for a middle meet-up, too, but looking at the map, it looks like there is a subtle push based on positioning of the OpFor to move us towards the west side of the map anyway. Should hedningen scoot forward by running so he can get first crack at opening armor/absorbing hits?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

mercenarynuker posted:

Bandersnatch
Not seeing a lot of movement options available for myself and hedningen at the moment. No jumpjets means plodding forward around buildings, and we're kind of surrounded on all sides by those. Leaves us with either the option to roll in force through the middle, or split off into a 2man commando squad to try sneaking along the west flank.

If going through the middle, it looks like I might want to try running to 1346, but since I'd be doing a turn on asphalt, would that force a PSR?

Along the side, I think simply moving forward to 1146, to stay close to a hole-puncher without clogging up movement lanes yet. This could work for a middle meet-up, too, but looking at the map, it looks like there is a subtle push based on positioning of the OpFor to move us towards the west side of the map anyway. Should hedningen scoot forward by running so he can get first crack at opening armor/absorbing hits?

If Strobe is eventually heading for 1044 in three turns, a good spot for you to aim for might be 1444 facing 1445. You can walk to 1246 from there to spring the trap then torso twist to fire on whatever that scout is.

If you take that option, walking to 1147 and turning to 1246 should be exactly 4 movement so no PSR risk.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I will technically be there in two turns, but it'll take a third to turn around all the way without risking skids and falls.

Even though it might be possible to do this by ambushing as few enemies as possible, I think the pink and orange routes have to die for sure to make it easy on us.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I would recommend not playing this like Thief and instead playing it like Shadow of Mordor. Don't try to Ghost, just kill every one of them fast and hard without alerting anyone else. That has the advantage that even if you do gently caress up, the later you do the less stuff there is to converge on you.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

DatonKallandor posted:

I would recommend not playing this like Thief and instead playing it like Shadow of Mordor. Don't try to Ghost, just kill every one of them fast and hard without alerting anyone else. That has the advantage that even if you do gently caress up, the later you do the less stuff there is to converge on you.

Coordinated murderjumps to bracket and isolate a single scout on a road and give them nowhere to run could be fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Xarbala posted:

It works fine in the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation, where most buildings are only 2-4 stories tall.

Strobe posted:

I will technically be there in two turns, but it'll take a third to turn around all the way without risking skids and falls.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Don't worry about that.

Mercenarynuker you're not accepting PMs and I don't have an alternate way to contact you (such as via e-mail) to send you the pilot primer!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 18, 2017

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

DatonKallandor posted:

MechWarrior Solid :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Spider

Any recommendations on which way I should go?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Between two Roughnecks and a Bandersnatch we probably have the first scout, but we definitely can't run it down if it manages to survive a turn. I'd find a place between buildings to set up that can reach to within a few hexes of its following-turn movement, as a precaution. Would also avoid ending up in the middle of the street, but good timing mitigates that risk.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

It works fine in the Federated Suns and Capellan Confederation, where most buildings are only 2-4 stories tall.

Mercenarynuker you're not accepting PMs and I don't have an alternate way to contact you (such as via e-mail) to send you the pilot primer!

Sorry, knew I forgot something when I signed up! Email is username at gmail

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Keep in mind, the cut-off for a "large blip" vs. a "small blip" is a 5/8 movement profile. So small blips could be anything from Firemoths to Linebackers.

That also means large blips could be Cougars.

Edit: However, I will promise you that all of the scouts are `Mechs the Clans would actually use for the job (so there probably isn't a Linebacker).

VVV Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. If the concrete patch is small enough that it can be avoided I'll typically run with the slipping on pavement rules. If it's the entire map I ignore them because I don't feel the need to punish the players for not walking everywhere.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 18, 2017

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008
In case you're misunderstanding what PTN meant when he said not to worry, he meant he's not using the rules for piloting skill checks if you turn on asphalt. Feel free to use your running movement however you like. There would have been so many of those in the last mission if we were using that rule, it would've been a comedy of pratfalls.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

daft punk 3052 looking good

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

:mechwarriordrugs: ???

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

AJ_Impy posted:

Coordinated murderjumps to bracket and isolate a single scout on a road and give them nowhere to run could be fun.

This is what I would do. The Charger is especially good for that sort of thing since it's got a 3 gunner and also pulses, so aside from being a good mech in general it's ideally suited for this sort of thing. The MON-76 is also a great scout hunter (though that pilot is a bit lolsy).

Isolating enemy units one at a time (or two at a time in two groups), piling firepower on them quickly, and then setting the next ambush is probably the way to go for this one. It will probably take some time, but if people are patient enough to stick with that program it should work.

Also, as I always do for urban maps, people should watch out for getting blocked in; with the OPFOR always moving first they can restrict your movement. So it's not just the Goonlance that has the opportunity to block/bracket.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Variant E for Epilepsy.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So to be clear, while we know their patrol routes, do we know which direction they're patrolling (and if so, how?)? Because we might try setting up an ambush on the pink patroller currently in 1437 for turn 3, only to see it gently caress off to the other side of the map. Not to mention the yellow sensor currently in 0340 can cause some issues no matter which way it's gyrating

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I know we're not suppose to root against players, but I just can't help it considering there is a Rose in the roster. :v:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Charger:

It's obviously way too hot around this stadium to jump out now, and if the 'Mech at 0728 is patrolling clockwise, I'll have to move to not get spotted by its radar (and Sarna tells me that shutting down my engine won't hide me from an active probe). Will I be stepping on the Quickdraw's toes if I move to 1435 instead of 1434?

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Back Hack posted:

I know we're not suppose to root against players, but I just can't help it considering there is a Rose in the roster. :v:

No, see, that's Rose as a first name; if one of Northwind's Finest Black Thorn Roses were on this mission we'd have three possible outcomes.

1. Jump on top of tallest building, get MechMurdered by Clan scouts.

2. Fire all the guns all day long, even Pulse Lasers at short range, miss every target.

3. Get knocked over, fall asleep for 20 rounds, take credit for victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cascade Jones posted:

No, see, that's Rose as a first name; if one of Northwind's Finest Black Thorn Roses were on this mission we'd have three possible outcomes.

1. Jump on top of tallest building, get MechMurdered by Clan scouts.

2. Fire all the guns all day long, even Pulse Lasers at short range, miss every target.

3. Get knocked over, fall asleep for 20 rounds, take credit for victory.

4. Casually murder someone with a screwdriver.

• Locked thread