Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tbh I think the first season of 00 isn't good either, but it is alright and definitely better than seed. if nothing else, it's nowhere near as ugly

holy poo poo is gundam seed an ugly series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Impersonating a minor, retired dub VA of all things is a real odd one.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

holy poo poo is gundam seed an ugly series

SEED's mobile suits aren't ugly, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I still hold SEED as a good series but I'll fully admit part of that is because it was my first Gundam and I was a teenager at the time. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it now, hence why I haven't even thought about rewatching it, I'm happier this way. And even like that I can't even remotely defend the awful artstyle.

Destiny is just a gigantic mess though, and I hate it intensely. Shinn is a waste of an actually great character and Kira goes from an acceptable protagonist to Mr. Absolutely Flawless and just...ugh. What a mess. SRW Z will always be the canon Destiny to me.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
seed isn't the total mess people make it out to be like it's boring and one of the weaker gundams but i liked it more than ZZ honestly. i'm "excited" to see how bad destiny is at some point tho

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Might as well wait for the redub of seed at this point

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

The first season of Gundam 00 is definitely good, and definitely worth watching. And the second season isn't that bad, it's just sort of generic and forgettable. The only reason people rag on 00 S2 so much is because it wastes the good stuff in the first season.

Reputedly the second season isn't the writer's fault, it was Sunrise going "what the gently caress is this poo poo? It's not Gundam enough, MAKE IT MORE GUNDAM-Y!"

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

00 Season 1 is excellent and one of the best Gundam seasons out there.

SEED is alright. It's not great but it's totally watchable. The upcoming redub has a loving stellar cast so it'll probably be worth watching.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
SEED is PISS

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

RevolverDivider posted:

SEED is alright. It's not great but it's totally watchable. The upcoming redub has a loving stellar cast so it'll probably be worth watching.

Do they have Rau's first English VA returning? It's literally the only question that matters.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If Rau gets redubbed the dub is worse. :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chumbler posted:

SEED's mobile suits aren't ugly, though.

They're ugly plasticy crap.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're crappier versions of old designs. The Zaku Warrior looks like an even shittier HiZack. I guess the Strike Freedom looks alright, but I've always liked my Gundam with a little bulk or ultra streamlined. Most of the Gundam designs in SEED straddle that line and leave me unsatisfied. Okawara was basically drawing on autopilot.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 18, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

dudermcbrohan posted:

seed isn't the total mess people make it out to be like it's boring and one of the weaker gundams but i liked it more than ZZ honestly. i'm "excited" to see how bad destiny is at some point tho

ZZ owns and I will fight you in the mean streets of Gundam Valhalla, sir.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gundam Valhalla is build fighters considering how many dead pilots make background cameos

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

RevolverDivider posted:

I recently re-watched it almost back to back and it was just as good as I remembered. Didn't bother rewatching season 2 too far past the appearance of Exia Repair though. I think it pretty much peaked there :v:

Also re-watching Wing which is a lot better than I had remembered though the meandering plot is a perfect example of why they eventually switched to the 2 season format. However, I don't think I could bring myself to watch SEED again. I mean it's there on Japanese Netflix but even so... Lacus and ugh...

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Reputedly the second season isn't the writer's fault, it was Sunrise going "what the gently caress is this poo poo? It's not Gundam enough, MAKE IT MORE GUNDAM-Y!"

You know, whatever else you think of it, IBO did a pretty good job of staying itself for the second season.

Wonder if it was just a consequence of different writing teams or if the reputation of 00's second season (among other shows) made Bandai a little more reluctant to go for the larger scale revision.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

You know, whatever else you think of it, IBO did a pretty good job of staying itself for the second season.

Wonder if it was just a consequence of different writing teams or if the reputation of 00's second season (among other shows) made Bandai a little more reluctant to go for the larger scale revision.

The existence of IBO s02, the changes made to s01, and s02 having some pretty big characterisation changes that felt like they sort of came out of nowhere are definitely down to executive meddling springing a followup season on them late in production, though. IBO as a whole would have been way stronger if s01 had actually ended with character deaths and there'd been no followup.

At least the Gaelio/McGillis bits near the end of s02 were good and justified keeping Gaelio alive.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

They're ugly plasticy crap.

The freedom gundam is a fantastic design sir :colbert:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

Also the Destiny, because 12-year-old-cool things are still cool. The Savior was also neat but jobbed immediately because Athrun sucks and can't save anyone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

The existence of IBO s02, the changes made to s01, and s02 having some pretty big characterisation changes that felt like they sort of came out of nowhere are definitely down to executive meddling springing a followup season on them late in production, though. IBO as a whole would have been way stronger if s01 had actually ended with character deaths and there'd been no followup.

At least the Gaelio/McGillis bits near the end of s02 were good and justified keeping Gaelio alive.

Which characterisation changes would those be? Most of what happened in S2 seemed a natural outgrowth of the various characters' personalities. I mean, I guess there was the reveal of McGillis's real deal, but that seemed pretty adequately foreshadowed, and as one of the more mysterious characters, we didn't know all that much about him to start with.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

The wing design is awkward, and the weapon loadout is uncomfortably lopsided. At least on the Strike Freedom, all those feathery bits do something, and they gave it twin rifles like they should have from the start.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Which characterisation changes would those be? Most of what happened in S2 seemed a natural outgrowth of the various characters' personalities. I mean, I guess there was the reveal of McGillis's real deal, but that seemed pretty adequately foreshadowed, and as one of the more mysterious characters, we didn't know all that much about him to start with.

McGillis' behavior in Season 1 makes a lot less sense when you take Season 2 into account. he's ~mysterious~ enough that you can shrug and assume it was Close Enough but a lot of the foreshadowing and dialogue and in particular his treatment of people changes pretty drastically. They play up his Charlike elements a lot more in S1. His S2 character is a bit more interesting I think but still.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

McGillis' behavior in Season 1 makes a lot less sense when you take Season 2 into account. he's ~mysterious~ enough that you can shrug and assume it was Close Enough but a lot of the foreshadowing and dialogue and in particular his treatment of people changes pretty drastically. They play up his Charlike elements a lot more in S1. His S2 character is a bit more interesting I think but still.

I think that 'emotionally-stunted manchild who takes all his social cues from the Count of Monte Cristo' explains his behaviour in S1 pretty well as well. In fact, it does a lot to explain his perilously short-term thinking in his gambit in the last quarter - he's not a genius schemer, just someone who cannot believe in other people's loyalty and sincerity and acts accordingly.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Monaghan posted:

I agree, the Gundam Double X is a pretty cool design.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Guys did you see Ghiren Zabi just address the United Nations? It was pretty crazy.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Not gonna lie, Kai being the Newtype Superman in the novel is pretty awesome. All that power AND his inherent crustiness!

The only good SEED design is the GOOhN.
No really, it's the Blitz Gundam. But also the GOOhN. And GuAIZ is still a pretty decent grunt suit design to boot. Most things in SEED Destiny are garbage, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

Not gonna lie, Kai being the Newtype Superman in the novel is pretty awesome. All that power AND his inherent crustiness!

The only good SEED design is the GOOhN.
No really, it's the Blitz Gundam. But also the GOOhN. And GuAIZ is still a pretty decent grunt suit design to boot. Most things in SEED Destiny are garbage, though.

The MG redesign of the Providence was amazing. Turned those slightly wonky proportions into pure sleek, bulky menace. It's like a Star Destroyer in Gundam form.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Zedd posted:

If Rau gets redubbed the dub is worse. :colbert:
Given that the SEED redub seems to be a full recasting of everyone, it is safe to assume that Mark Oliver is not reprising his performance as Rau.

Which makes me wonder if the person who gets recast as Kira Yamato has to be kicked in balls to pull off the infamous crying sequence.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Darth Walrus posted:

The MG redesign of the Providence was amazing. Turned those slightly wonky proportions into pure sleek, bulky menace. It's like a Star Destroyer in Gundam form.

Yeah, Providence always seems to look turdy in both the animation and even in the games sometimes, but now that I've seen it I like the MG redesign as well.

Part of me got sad when I saw that they released MG models for Gundam AGE before they released an MG model for the Turn X, though. Then again, in the late 90s/early 00s they were still pretty much exclusively doing UC MS designs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finally watched Char's Counterattack today and man is the English dub hard to get through at points. I know they're inferior but I kinda need them to follow along since I watch while I build gunpla. Those last battle sequences are pretty neat though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CCA has some issues on the plot side of things, but overall I enjoy it purely for the clinic Amuro puts on throughout. There have been plenty of kickass pilots in giant robot shows, but none have impressed me as much as Amuro in CCA. Dude is just unstoppable, but in a way that feels like a natural extension of his skills post-MSG.

EDIT: I imagine the dub's weaknesses stem from some of the oddities of the story.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How can you dislike Michael Kopsa and Brad Swaile? The Ocean dubbed Gundam series tend to do quite well, and they got the ultimate method actor for SEED. The Blue Water budget dubs that are the non unionized Ocean actors are okay, but they're rather cheap.

The guys who've done all the shows since Unicorn are probably the best sounding due to having some actual money to throw in for good microphones, but I'll still take Kopsa over Keith "Nazeem from the Cloud District" Silverstein any day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, dub Char is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourB80IQEes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Teetons.
Char must have spent some time in Wyoming.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I gues Moon Gundam really is about Moon Moon

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Princess Moononoke.

And that Gundam stole the Sazabi's shoulderpads.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I gues Moon Gundam really is about Moon Moon

That seems like a pretty boring design for a Gundam piloted by a tribal warrior.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Princess Moononoke.

And that Gundam stole the Sazabi's shoulderpads.

The story is set in UC 92, so presumably that's a prototype Sazabi that ends up Moon Moon due to some kind of shenanigans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More Moon Moon.

I don't know how to respond to this.