Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

VideoTapir posted:

Chinese western dentists are better than western western dentists, in my experience.

since chinese art school graduates are masters at simply copying something nice, I can see how the dentists would be really good at creating that perfect smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

VideoTapir posted:

Chinese western dentists are better than western western dentists, in my experience.

I got Invisalign in Taiwan. Besides it being cheaper it has been a loving poo poo show. They were supposed to be finished 6 months ago, I'm probably going to have to use them for another6 months more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ladron posted:

since chinese art school graduates are masters at simply copying something nice, I can see how the dentists would be really good at creating that perfect smile.

Went to a local Chinese art museum where despite being a town of millions and being an extremely expensive building, only had exhibits of the art of the local art college. What you learn on that walkthrough is that Chinese art students have a hatred for having to paint Guernica over and over and over again

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Barudak posted:

Went to a local Chinese art museum where despite being a town of millions and being an extremely expensive building, only had exhibits of the art of the local art college. What you learn on that walkthrough is that Chinese art students have a hatred for having to paint Guernica over and over and over again

You could probably not find a single student among them who could give you any account of the painting's significance beyond "it is a very famous painting".

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You could probably make a pretty interesting exhibition with two dozen Guernica paintings if you allowed the students some freedom instead of "it has to be as pixel perfect close to the original as possible".

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
OKAY LET'S TALK TEETH

First of all, no, they didn't actually fall out that frequently in the past. Teeth are held inside your mouth almost entirely by soft tissue. In fact, this is technically a joint, and they're called gomphoses. Gomphoses is a great word and I just wanted to say it.

Once the body decays- and every body decays at a different rate. Someone buried in acidic soil is going to rot differently than someone in sandy soil, or int he water, or in a fancy box- the teeth fall out because the gomphoses have eroded. Teeth are tough little fuckers, but it's very easy to lose them. Don't forget that anything buried in the ground, especially very old populations, has almost always been disturbed at some point, whether by natural processes (landslides, unusually heavy rainfall, animals digging) or through human factors. A badger rooting around some dead guy's head isn't going to care or notice if a few teeth come loose and roll down the hill. Due to disruption, bodies are often recovered missing teeth that were actually perfectly healthy in life.

There's a substantial difference between remains that have lost their teeth pre- and post-humously:

These are the remains of a 19th-century migrant worker in South Africa. As you can see, their teeth are actually quite healthy and straight! In the first picture, they are missing the first left upper maxillary incisor. You can see that the bone is smooth and there's no hole. In the second figure, they've lost a lower molar, and you can see the bone in the remodeling stage. So they lost that before death, but not very long before death! (Article abstract is here). According to the abstract, these remains are from a "pauper's grave," so this individual obviously didn't have any money. I'll return to that point in a bit.

This is an example of post-mortem tooth loss. You can easily see the sockets where the teeth are supposed to be. The edges are sharp, not smoothed over, and there is no evidence of regrowth.

Therefore, while remains are frequently uncovered missing teeth, it's due to more to disturbance than actual tooth loss.

Okay, so finances! This plays a huge part in tooth health. Although you might expect the opposite, there's actual a huge correlation between large-scale economic improvement over a given period of time and a decrease in a population's overall tooth health. British teeth were perfectly fine during the Iron Age, for example, but after the empire grew and sugary things became more widely-available, people started having progressively worse dental health. I'm looking at you, Liz Tudor, you with your nasty-rear end black teeth.

Why? Sugar, obviously. Sugar is some bad and evil poo poo. And don't think brushing right after you eat sugar does anything- putting something abrasive on the tooth after it has been exposed to sugar (or acid) actually makes it worse. Best thing to do after eating sugar is swish some water around in your mouth, honestly.

Now, of course poor hygiene is going to play a part in tooth loss, but diet is far and away the biggest factor. Other potential factors include everyday activity (do you have a job where you COULD easily experience trauma to the mouth? Are you part of a population where teeth are used as tools for softening hides?), genetic background (inbreeding leads to worse teeth, generally, which is why England and Japan are sort of famous for lousy choppers- island populations), dietary health during childhood (you don't really get new enamel; if you suffered illness or food insecurity during childhood, your teeth will actually show stress lines where enamel production was halted), and a host of other factors that are too tiny and niggling to get into here.

Brushing one's teeth is of course a good idea. However, if you're predisposed to caries anyways- improper fluoride treatment during the development of enamel can lead to very weak enamel on the occlusive surfaces- it's not going to save you from what your genetics ordain. Chewing on sticks actually does a fine job of cleaning teeth in a pre-sugar society, as some plants have natural antibacterial properties.

However, Mao did not grow up in such a society, and his regressive approach to hygiene was therefore ineffective.

I have no idea about the dick-washing-in-virgins thing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Maybe he washed his mouth with virgins too

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oh, she was just trying to wash her car tires.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

GoutPatrol posted:

Maybe he washed his mouth with virgins too

Based on what I've heard about Chinese girls and their feelings towards oral sex, I kinda doubt it.

I'm sure Bajaj has experience to the contrary, though.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

OKAY LET'S TALK TEETH

First of all, no, they didn't actually fall out that frequently in the past. Teeth are held inside your mouth almost entirely by soft tissue. In fact, this is technically a joint, and they're called gomphoses. Gomphoses is a great word and I just wanted to say it.

Once the body decays- and every body decays at a different rate. Someone buried in acidic soil is going to rot differently than someone in sandy soil, or int he water, or in a fancy box- the teeth fall out because the gomphoses have eroded. Teeth are tough little fuckers, but it's very easy to lose them. Don't forget that anything buried in the ground, especially very old populations, has almost always been disturbed at some point, whether by natural processes (landslides, unusually heavy rainfall, animals digging) or through human factors. A badger rooting around some dead guy's head isn't going to care or notice if a few teeth come loose and roll down the hill. Due to disruption, bodies are often recovered missing teeth that were actually perfectly healthy in life.

There's a substantial difference between remains that have lost their teeth pre- and post-humously:

These are the remains of a 19th-century migrant worker in South Africa. As you can see, their teeth are actually quite healthy and straight! In the first picture, they are missing the first left upper maxillary incisor. You can see that the bone is smooth and there's no hole. In the second figure, they've lost a lower molar, and you can see the bone in the remodeling stage. So they lost that before death, but not very long before death! (Article abstract is here). According to the abstract, these remains are from a "pauper's grave," so this individual obviously didn't have any money. I'll return to that point in a bit.

This is an example of post-mortem tooth loss. You can easily see the sockets where the teeth are supposed to be. The edges are sharp, not smoothed over, and there is no evidence of regrowth.

Therefore, while remains are frequently uncovered missing teeth, it's due to more to disturbance than actual tooth loss.

Okay, so finances! This plays a huge part in tooth health. Although you might expect the opposite, there's actual a huge correlation between large-scale economic improvement over a given period of time and a decrease in a population's overall tooth health. British teeth were perfectly fine during the Iron Age, for example, but after the empire grew and sugary things became more widely-available, people started having progressively worse dental health. I'm looking at you, Liz Tudor, you with your nasty-rear end black teeth.

Why? Sugar, obviously. Sugar is some bad and evil poo poo. And don't think brushing right after you eat sugar does anything- putting something abrasive on the tooth after it has been exposed to sugar (or acid) actually makes it worse. Best thing to do after eating sugar is swish some water around in your mouth, honestly.

Now, of course poor hygiene is going to play a part in tooth loss, but diet is far and away the biggest factor. Other potential factors include everyday activity (do you have a job where you COULD easily experience trauma to the mouth? Are you part of a population where teeth are used as tools for softening hides?), genetic background (inbreeding leads to worse teeth, generally, which is why England and Japan are sort of famous for lousy choppers- island populations), dietary health during childhood (you don't really get new enamel; if you suffered illness or food insecurity during childhood, your teeth will actually show stress lines where enamel production was halted), and a host of other factors that are too tiny and niggling to get into here.

Brushing one's teeth is of course a good idea. However, if you're predisposed to caries anyways- improper fluoride treatment during the development of enamel can lead to very weak enamel on the occlusive surfaces- it's not going to save you from what your genetics ordain. Chewing on sticks actually does a fine job of cleaning teeth in a pre-sugar society, as some plants have natural antibacterial properties.

However, Mao did not grow up in such a society, and his regressive approach to hygiene was therefore ineffective.

I have no idea about the dick-washing-in-virgins thing.

A jewel of a post.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

peak debt posted:

You could probably make a pretty interesting exhibition with two dozen Guernica paintings if you allowed the students some freedom instead of "it has to be as pixel perfect close to the original as possible".

Thats what im talking about. So there was a room of "exactly guernica" but peppered throughout were distorted or alternate takes that were done by people desparate to meet the basic requirement of "contains guernica" without being all Guernica.

The best two was one was a painting of I want to say a printing press of guernicas and one that only made sense as you wandered the halls as the following pieces were nowhere near each other, a painting of people looking at Guernica, a painting of people looking at people looking at guernica and finally a painting of the security cam footage of people looking at a painting of people looking at guernica

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

JaucheCharly posted:

A jewel of a post.

Thank you. Use the word "gomphoses" sometimes in conversation. It's fun to say!

Barudak posted:

Thats what im talking about. So there was a room of "exactly guernica" but peppered throughout were distorted or alternate takes that were done by people desparate to meet the basic requirement of "contains guernica" without being all Guernica.

The best two was one was a painting of I want to say a printing press of guernicas and one that only made sense as you wandered the halls as the following pieces were nowhere near each other, a painting of people looking at Guernica, a painting of people looking at people looking at guernica and finally a painting of the security cam footage of people looking at a painting of people looking at guernica

I would actually pay a decent amount of money to view this exhibition because, like, irony.

Why on earth would they choose Guernica? Is it just because it's famous? Honestly, people who aren't super-familiar with art probably wouldn't even recognize it by name. They must be substantially smaller, too, which I think probably takes the oomph out a bit.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That sounds cool, I'd go see that.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So to make it clear, there was no rhyme or reason to painting locations. Paintings filled the halls as though a gallery but no collection connected, it was only by wandering the halls that the undercurrent of Guernica revealed itself. Like its an almost unreplicatable art experience where the entire museum is a gallery dedicated to a slowly boiling yearning for actual artistic freedom.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Barudak posted:

So to make it clear, there was no rhyme or reason to painting locations. Paintings filled the halls as though a gallery but no collection connected, it was only by wandering the halls that the undercurrent of Guernica revealed itself. Like its an almost unreplicatable art experience where the entire museum is a gallery dedicated to a slowly boiling yearning for actual artistic freedom.

Do they KNOW that this is genius?

Maybe it was their master plan...

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I had an intensely vivid China dream, I was in a cheap looking bar that was trying to be trendy with lovely led lighting everywhere and everything smelled like 2nd hand smoke and old building mold, I was ordering shots with a cocky Russian guy who wouldn't shut up about sex workers and all I wanted to do is leave.

I have not been to china pls rate my dream on a scale of 1 to China

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Was the Russian an aspiring DJ?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

Was the Russian an aspiring DJ?

Almost definitely, he had a lovely suave thing going on

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Sounds more like a Russia dream to me.

My recent china dream was me in a small apartment getting an unenthusiastic handjob before the boiler exploded

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

a cyberpunk goose posted:

I had an intensely vivid China dream, I was in a cheap looking bar that was trying to be trendy with lovely led lighting everywhere and everything smelled like 2nd hand smoke and old building mold, I was ordering shots with a cocky Russian guy who wouldn't shut up about sex workers and all I wanted to do is leave.

I have not been to china pls rate my dream on a scale of 1 to China

Was it this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-tzs47o33A

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

genetic background (inbreeding leads to worse teeth, generally, which is why England and Japan are sort of famous for lousy choppers- island populations),
Then how come the Nordics have fantastic teeth despite that? Checkmate, genetics

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

OKAY LET'S TALK TEETH
I read this while eating chocolate soan papdi in my bed because my table didn't arrive yet, and thinking I probably eat too much sugar. Then I got a phone call suddenly and spilled some soan on my bed sheets and it legit looks like a small skid mark on my white sheets. If someone comes to my house these days then I am screwed.

Neem sticks work amazingly well for cleaning the teeth. I've been to small villages that don't really eat processed food as a habit and, like you said, people's teeth are fine and all they use are neem sticks. Forty-year-olds who never had cavities and whose teeth are shining white.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Based on what I've heard about Chinese girls and their feelings towards oral sex, I kinda doubt it.

I'm sure Bajaj has experience to the contrary, though.
I've said goodbye to many a date when the halitosis hit. I've not accepted to do more with dates who have crazy deep yellow or crusty teeth, or those lovely black outlines in gums and between teeth. People have horrible teeth hygiene as a norm. Most have never once seen a dentist and are not sure why other people go to them. If they get a cavity, they just ignore it until the whole tooth turns black.
I do know a woman that had those crazy brown teeth because of a fluoride mishap as a kid. I felt sorry for her, because her teeth terrified me.

Barudak posted:

I've been to a few "art museums" in China. I've no idea why they are called art museums. They are usually just galleries open for people who paid to get their stuff in there to sell, or displays for other paid-for paintings for gaining face or something. I don't get them at all. I haven't seen much cool or unique stuff in any of them, except for one had a Gundam added to a city scene for no reason and that was kinda cool (but again, no originality since it's taken from a TV show).

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Then how come the Nordics have fantastic teeth despite that? Checkmate, genetics
The men all go bald super early. It's not even about having "too much testosterone," but that the body processes it poorly. Checkmate, genetics.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Barudak posted:

Are there any photos of this museum of Counterfeit Guernicas? I'm intrigued, also if you haven't seen Guernica: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xk2qmg_simon-schama-s-power-of-art-part-3-of-8-picasso-2007-hd_creation

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

OKAY LET'S TALK TEETH

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, thanks Fleta!

Re: China art chat I've been to a couple "local" small art galleries down here and while I haven't seen much open and thoughtless copying of classic pieces, I have noticed that each artist in the galleries tends to do, like... the exact same piece, but a dozen times. Like "here's white printer paper filled with drawn diamond shapes and in the bottom corner is a splotch of blue paint. Here's white paper filled with circles and the upper corner has a splotch of red. Here's white paper with squares and a splotch of green..."

Which, okay, cool, that's all well and good... except I'm a simpleton when it comes to much of that sort of art and so I need a little bit of background info to give me context. The problem is these galleries seem to completely eschew information about the artist/pieces except "name of artist, name of piece, medium, date" - no "this artist focuses on X" or "this artist tries to give you a window into Y" or anything. And to top it off the "curators" at these places don't seem to know who the hell the artists are or what their perspectives are, either, so it's not like I can ask the guy/gal playing phone to give me some context.

The ONE gallery I went to that had a big blurb about the featured artist still wasn't helpful. It said the dude was a loving ex-lawyer who became an artist, but hated art and the art community and so was trying to redefine art. Redefine it how? No clue. It was a cool multi-media exhibit but again... I'm a simpleton. A little bit of guidance really helps.

I haven't been to any of the big/official galleries yet but I have a feeling those won't be much more enjoyable.

HOWEVER if you are in Shanghai and have a spare afternoon, go check out the hidden-away Propaganda Poster Art Centre. That was a cool spot and had great details and descriptions for the various pieces.

EDIT: Also I made the mistake of going to some big art galleries while in Bangkok earlier this year and it was literally just The King, everywhere, all the time. I think I saw a good 50 renditions of that picture of him sweating (or in the rain?). Also Buddha. The King and Buddha. poo poo the street art and graffiti we stumbled on while wandering around was way more interesting.

Amergin fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 19, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's the issue with a lot of older Asian art, it's just Buddha over and over and over and over. It is so boring. I never want to see another Buddha depiction again.

Like imagine Christian art, except they never do any variety of Biblical scenes and it's just portraits of Jesus forever and unless you really know your poo poo and what subtle things to look for, every portrait is identical. Thousands of them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought I saw interesting Chinese art once when I saw a portrait of Mao made out of $100 bills, but later found out that's a meme or something and those are everywhere.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Do they predate Warhol?

Art china question: did Asia have a renaissance or something to that effect?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Maos? I'm sure they don't. Is that just a copy of something he did?

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Boiled Water posted:

Art china question: did Asia have a renaissance or something to that effect?

if the question is "what is considered the region's artistic golden age" that'd probably be the Ming Dynasty, but I think that a lot of that perception comes from the fact that that was when the renaissance was happening in Europe and it was also when Westerners were starting to do poo poo more regularly in East Asia so really the romanticism of the Ming is probably just an extension of the European renaissance

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

if the question is "what is considered the region's artistic golden age" that'd probably be the Ming Dynasty, but I think that a lot of that perception comes from the fact that that was when the renaissance was happening in Europe and it was also when Westerners were starting to do poo poo more regularly in East Asia so really the romanticism of the Ming is probably just an extension of the European renaissance

The Ming is popular in western ideas but usually it seems the Tang dynasty is considered China's golden age within China. I assume Ming got big in the west since that's when extensive, regular contact began.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Fromage posted:

Like imagine Christian art, except they never do any variety of Biblical scenes and it's just portraits of Jesus forever and unless you really know your poo poo and what subtle things to look for, every portrait is identical. Thousands of them.

There's probably a crack about Thomas Kinkade in there.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

theres a biblical art exhibit in the vatican museum that has a 700-painting collection, and at least 30% of them were near-identical variations of Madonna and Child / Madonna col Bambino. Another 40% covered the gorier bits of The Passion, and the remaining 30% were various saints doing deeds or being martyred and madonna enthroned

i will say it works really well as a Flash Card method for learning all of the important characters and events for people who don't know the stories

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Boiled Water posted:

Do they predate Warhol?
Yes, China has been doing portraits of Mao out of $100 bills for 5000 years.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

LentThem posted:

theres a biblical art exhibit in the vatican museum that has a 700-painting collection, and at least 30% of them were near-identical variations of Madonna and Child / Madonna col Bambino. Another 40% covered the gorier bits of The Passion, and the remaining 30% were various saints doing deeds or being martyred and madonna enthroned

i will say it works really well as a Flash Card method for learning all of the important characters and events for people who don't know the stories

Blood and Chicks - them artists knew what sold.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

from slav.jpg

Unstoppabro posted:

https://imgur.com/a/za2WY

Eastern European Sushi, not for the faint of heart

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Grand Fromage posted:

The Ming is popular in western ideas but usually it seems the Tang dynasty is considered China's golden age within China. I assume Ming got big in the west since that's when extensive, regular contact began.

the ming destroyed the vibrant trade networks that made china so rich and awesome around that time and it's not arguable. like all merchants had to submit a full inventory of goods to the state monthly, and that was before the emperor failed to make a profit on an insanely decadent trade voyage that was really just an extended luxury cruise (he had a loving giraffe on the flagship junk for gently caress's sake) and forbade all external trade period because if he couldn't make a profit nobody could. the entirety of the cool stuff in the dynasty is just coasting on the lead the Song dynasty had built up.

every time i meet an otherwise educated person who thinks the ming were cool i'm compelled to point out that they're popularly considered the last great dynasty of china, and do you think that might have something to do with how poo poo they were

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

More like minge dynasty amiright

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Everyone loves the Ming cause they were Chinese instead of invading foreign horse dudes, I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Han and earlier stuff is cool, mostly because they're from a time when China itself was definitely cobbled together from pre-assimilated groups.

• Locked thread