Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

My reaction to the Spicer appearance was outraged disgust, but then I remembered that Mike Tyson is America's sweetheart. It doesn't matter how vile you are, Hollywood will rehabilitate you, and America will forgive you.

I dunno, Tyson gets poo poo on in Mike Tyson Mysteries quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Zoro posted:

gently caress, not to sound alarmist, but this can very well pass.

For what it's worth, this part isn't especially new or game-changing; McCain was never a 'flip', and this schtick with Doucey was already known.

That's not really a reason to relax, however.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zoro posted:

gently caress, not to sound alarmist, but this can very well pass.

That is alarmist because McCain was always counted on board this bill.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Glagha posted:

A real fun game is listening to metal and playing "is this about the imagery, or do they really want to murder some brown people" especially with viking metal.

I was delighted when I was listening to a band called Tyr and they had a song with the following lyrics:
"You who think the hue of your hide means you are to blame
And your father's misdeeds are his son's to carry in shame
Not mine I'll take no part
You can shove the sins of the your father where no light may pass
And kiss my Scandinavian rear end

Pages of the past
How long will they last?
A lie lost in the legacy of fools left us this parody unsurpassed
Pages of the past
How long will they last?
The shadow of the Swastika by fools' fears now for far too long has been cast"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/GenFlynn/status/909749150572515328

This timeline

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
wrong thread oops

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I would like to say that watching that Nazi be served a nap time made this lovely day better.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That is alarmist because McCain was always counted on board this bill.

Given what passage of this bill would entail, I think it's worth demonstrating some heightened awareness.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/909806872844259328

McCain was always for this stupid, awful bill, but try to put pressure on this while you still can.

"Golly, I sure would like to do this the right way, but I probably won't."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I just called my dear sweet Senator Mike Lee (R) of Utah and told them that I was a hard no and that it needs to be a full repeal or no deal. I'm banking on that vote pool being bigger than the "actually single payer gives me wet dreams" angle.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I'm sure he will not be using this to launder money.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/BlackBlocBoi/status/909779556223143936

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 18, 2017

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

I was delighted when I was listening to a band called Tyr and they had a song with the following lyrics:
"You who think the hue of your hide means you are to blame
And your father's misdeeds are his son's to carry in shame
Not mine I'll take no part
You can shove the sins of the your father where no light may pass
And kiss my Scandinavian rear end

Pages of the past
How long will they last?
A lie lost in the legacy of fools left us this parody unsurpassed
Pages of the past
How long will they last?
The shadow of the Swastika by fools' fears now for far too long has been cast"

This does not seem like a positive message. It seems like they're saying Nazism is an irrelevant historical artifact and that white people have no responsibility for correcting and improving a racist culture.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Huh, so that's not even the same guy.

E: Durr, the first one's Chicago.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Akumu posted:

This does not seem like a positive message. It seems like they're saying Nazism is an irrelevant historical artifact and that white people have no responsibility for correcting and improving a racist culture.

You who think the hue of your hide means you get to blame
The black for your own faults and so bring humanity shame
Make sure you count me out of the ranks of your inbred morons
With your sewer gas and kiss my Scandinavian rear end

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Hold on to your hats, I've got some shocking news!
https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/909820752907706368
And this is during the Obama admin even, they'll be even worse under Sessions

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 18, 2017

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

My reaction to the Spicer appearance was outraged disgust, but then I remembered that Mike Tyson is America's sweetheart. It doesn't matter how vile you are, Hollywood will rehabilitate you, and America will forgive you.
America just really loves the idea of people being "redeemed" despite often times not actually doing anything worthy of redemption. Guess that's one thing you can blame us Catholics for.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SocketWrench posted:

Not n the video no, but if they voted for Trump and still support him, guess what, those WWII vets support Nazis

True, but the WW2 vets I know either voted Clinton or didn't vote because they had died years ago. Shockingly, the last few members of the greatest generation are markedly to the left of the silents and boomers.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is so good. Put this on posters.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

From a quick google search, Tyr's songwriter wrote that in response to Germans trying to ban bands like Tyr for using ancient German Imagery and also to poo poo on Nazis for co opting their style and scene.

Band is meh tho so

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

achillesforever6 posted:

America just really loves the idea of people being "redeemed" despite often times not actually doing anything worthy of redemption. Guess that's one thing you can blame us Catholics for.

Forgiveness is one of the best parts and simultaneously worst parts of Christianity. Atheists for instance don't really have a mechanism for forgiveness so if you gently caress up you're a fuckup forever. Christians forgive someone and it's cool, but some get forgiven when they're obviously not repentant. Looking at you, Jim Bakker, you piece of poo poo. You and people like you.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Nazzadan posted:

Pretty good read. Varg really ruined everything, wish he would have just died quietly after releasing Filosofem. It's a shame NSBM bands are such shitheads, some make great music. But I guess that's what piracy is for :shrug:
Fun fact: Varg also released an utterly awful roleplaying game, ostensibly about mythic viking stuff, but really about race wars. Here's a review.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nazzadan posted:

From a quick google search, Tyr's songwriter wrote that in response to Germans trying to ban bands like Tyr for using ancient German Imagery and also to poo poo on Nazis for co opting their style and scene.

Band is meh tho so

Yeah Tyr is a bunch of dudes from the Faroe islands who had no clue that Nazis used a ton of Norse imagery until they were already selling records. So instead of changing their name they have just made it explictily clear they are not Nazis. Essentially "why should I change my name, he is the one who sucks" for good or ill

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ice Phisherman posted:

Atheists for instance don't really have a mechanism for forgiveness so if you gently caress up you're a fuckup forever.
Religion didn't invent the concept of forgiveness. It's a human thing that all humans are capable of doing.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Forgiveness is one of the best parts and simultaneously worst parts of Christianity. Atheists for instance don't really have a mechanism for forgiveness so if you gently caress up you're a fuckup forever until you die and likely everyone forgets you existed in 100 years let alone 100 trillion years as the stars go cold and meaning is no-where to be found. Christians forgive someone and it's cool, but some get forgiven when they're obviously not repentant. Looking at you, Jim Bakker, you piece of poo poo. You and people like you.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

dwarf74 posted:

Fun fact: Varg also released an utterly awful roleplaying game, ostensibly about mythic viking stuff, but really about race wars. Here's a review.

Oh I am well aware of MYFAROG's existence and it's hilariously racist systems in place. "Dark skin" people can't swim very well, "chosen people" are good at bartering but no one trusts them, etc. Like I said, dude should have just quietly died like 15 years ago.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah Tyr is a bunch of dudes from the Faroe islands who had no clue that Nazis used a ton of Norse imagery until they were already selling records. So instead of changing their name they have just made it explictily clear they are not Nazis. Essentially "why should I change my name, he is the one who sucks" for good or ill

Maybe I'll try listening to them again, I've only heard their debut album and from looking around on review sites it's by far their worst.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nazzadan posted:

Oh I am well aware of MYFAROG's existence and it's hilariously racist systems in place. "Dark skin" people can't swim very well, "chosen people" are good at bartering but no one trusts them, etc. Like I said, dude should have just quietly died like 15 years ago.

Maybe I'll try listening to them again, I've only heard their debut album and from looking around on review sites it's by far their worst.

Dude should have died in prison after, what was it again? Didn't he commit arson and murder his bandmate?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nazzadan posted:

Sounds only slightly more racist than Elder Scrolls lore if we're being honest.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Seattle having a lot of Nazis might seem strange considering it's hipster rep but the place has been a white flight oasis since its founding

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Atheists cannot forgive anyone because science does not allow for it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Asked my partner to get me some eggs and they forgot. If only I had some mechanism to allow me to forgive them. Oh well, time to sever.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Inferior Third Season posted:

Religion didn't invent the concept of forgiveness. It's a human thing that all humans are capable of doing.

Capable yes, but the social mechanism for atheists to forgive one another as a group in the way that the Christians do doesn't really exist. It means that if you gently caress up in that community you have hosed up for life and have to be excused on an individual basis. And if it was bad enough you'll have a hard time outrunning your reputation, deserved or not. Sometimes it is literally impossible to outrun a truly toxic reputation. Especially with the advent of the internet.

The social mechanism for Christians to forgive is real. It works. I've seen groups of people accept someone back because they've repented. One of my church group stole quite a lot of money from people who trusted him and went to prison for it. White collar crime. He truly seems sorry and seems like a changed person, and his struggles hurt to hear about. So people by and large support him as he struggles. I think that's awesome, because even if someone like that hasn't actually repented there are people who do and they can say they're sorry and largely stop being ostracized.

I'd rather forgive more people than less, be more loving than less, more forgiving, not less. And if some people take advantage of that for ill intentions that's the price of welcoming people back who use that mechanism for good.

On the other hand there are total unrepentant pieces of poo poo who use that mechanism like social grease and slither their way back into peoples' good graces. They're like spiders, used to slipping into complex social webs like the predators they are. They get forgiven too, or at least can jump ship to a more forgiving congregation.

Push El Burrito posted:

Atheists cannot forgive anyone because science does not allow for it.

More talking about as groups. Not as individuals. But yeah, I'll eat some poo poo for not being more precise. Still a problem though. If atheists ever want to try and tackle religion's ability to provide community they're going to have to figure stuff out like this.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 18, 2017

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Glagha posted:

Dude should have died in prison after, what was it again? Didn't he commit arson and murder his bandmate?

Murdered Euronymous, main dude in the band Mayhem on which Varg played bass on their debut LP. Claims it was self defense after stabbing him 20 something times. He was also found guilty on multiple counts of arson for church burnings and was given the maximum 21 year sentence. His most heinous crime was releasing a bunch of truly terrible albums while in prison.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Glagha posted:

Yes and yes.

Burned down the Fantoft stave church, and killed Euronymous.

BM chat in the Trump thread is my favorite chat.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Capable yes, but the social mechanism for atheists to forgive one another as a group in the way that the Christians do doesn't really exist. It means that if you gently caress up in that community you have hosed up for life and have to be excused on an individual basis. And if it was bad enough you'll have a hard time outrunning your reputation, deserved or not. Sometimes it is literally impossible to outrun a truly toxic reputation. Especially with the advent of the internet.

The social mechanism for Christians to forgive is real. It works. I've seen groups of people accept someone back because they've repented. One of my church group stole quite a lot of money from people who trusted him and went to prison for it. White collar crime. He truly seems sorry and seems like a changed person, and his struggles hurt to hear about. So people by and large support him as he struggles. I think that's awesome, because even if someone like that hasn't actually repented there are people who do and they can say they're sorry and largely stop being ostracized.

I'd rather forgive more people than less, be more loving than less, more forgiving, not less. And if some people take advantage of that for ill intentions that's the price of welcoming people back who use that mechanism for good.

On the other hand there are total unrepentant pieces of poo poo who use that mechanism like social grease and slither their way back into peoples' good graces. They're like spiders, used to slipping into complex social webs like the predators they are. They get forgiven too, or at least can jump ship to a more forgiving congregation.

This is all cool and good but explain how non-Christians have no mechanism for forgiveness, tia

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Nazzadan posted:

The dark folk also get a bonus to spear throwing, pretty subtle

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/909825989588525058

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/909823695299981313

Galaxy brain: Peace is good thing for everyone.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

dreffen posted:

Yes and yes.

Burned down the Fantoft stave church, and killed Euronymous.

BM chat in the Trump thread is my favorite chat.

"I did not burn down that church"
-Man who used that burned down church for an EP cover

Also yes, this is my time to come out of lurking and post a bunch until the thread moves on from BM then I return to the shadows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodeJanitor
Mar 30, 2005
I still can't think of anything to say.

twice burned ice posted:

This is all cool and good but explain how non-Christians have no mechanism for forgiveness, tia

Catholics just really like the idea of being able to just do a couple gestures and pinkie swears for forgiveness because then they can feel better about all the child raping they do around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABSoHYQr6k

• Locked thread