Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

SteelMentor posted:

then through a mother of all temper tantrums when Blizzard nerfed said raids once they became old content so people can catch up.

it took me a while, but I found that specific rant. I think the running joke of that show was that tb wasn't as good as he thought he was

quote:

(Also yeah, he was pretty big in Goobergate so gently caress him).

he made 2 big mistakes

-posting about gg
-posting something that wasn't a frothing-at-the-mouth screamfest, leaving him to get carved up by all sides like Poland a GBS newbie

he has an actual compulsion to seek out negative feedback, so I can understand why he'd do something as stupid as posting on gg or shitpost in GBS

in non-tb news,

Krazyface posted:

Build walls EVERYWHERE, take over Nuln pronto (Wissenland has always been a super easy confederation for me for some reason), load your armies up with guns and artillery. The Empire has an unusually good early redline skill, Honest Steel, it makes swordsmen in particular punch above their cost.

I almost want the bretonnian walls-at-tier-3 idea to be back-implemented to the empire, seeing as those things are mandatory to the point where you really only get 2 slots per town.

also don't take stirland first, I did that on my first playthrough and ended up in a hell war against the vampires that I only got out of halfway through the end times :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

CA will be doing a Kroq-gar campaign today in around 4 hours

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Mazdamundi tomorrow

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I actually enjoyed the TB steam and I am super hype for basically everything in this game. I had a brief phase where I wasn't too keen on what they were doing with Skaven, but seeing the TB stream and seeing them basically go all in on the 'drown them in expendable rats' theme, I'm reassured.

Just wish the lizard men stream wasn't when I'm at work.

Random question, how quickly does it generally take people to get the '1.5x skill points' and 'home movement bonus' mods up once the game's out?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

CA will be doing a Kroq-gar campaign today in around 4 hours

https://www.twitch.tv/totalwarofficial

Mazdamundi tomorrow

Also https://twitter.com/lionheartx10

Him and pixelatedapollo are gonna be putting up a Dark Elf coop campaign on youtube.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

tarbrush posted:

I actually enjoyed the TB steam and I am super hype for basically everything in this game. I had a brief phase where I wasn't too keen on what they were doing with Skaven, but seeing the TB stream and seeing them basically go all in on the 'drown them in expendable rats' theme, I'm reassured.

Just wish the lizard men stream wasn't when I'm at work.

Random question, how quickly does it generally take people to get the '1.5x skill points' and 'home movement bonus' mods up once the game's out?

CA is gonna archive them on YouTube. They'll be on twitch too as past broadcasts.

I'm on holidays until Nov and I won't be back to my PC until then. Gonna miss launch, I wanna take rad screenshots for the thread

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
The CA Kroq-Gar stream and the first part of the Youtuber Dark Elf co-op both drop at 3pm BST. That's 10am EST. That's one and a half hours from now!

I'm pretty excited for an extended look at gameplay from someone who isn't Totalbiscuit.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

CA is gonna archive them on YouTube. They'll be on twitch too as past broadcasts.

I'm on holidays until Nov and I won't be back to my PC until then. Gonna miss launch, I wanna take rad screenshots for the thread

Im quitting my lovely job to take a less lovely job, and I'm going to have four weeks of being funemployed, spending time with my family, and playing the living crap out of warhammer 2.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

PlushCow posted:

However Empire is some bullshit. They are one of the last factions I've yet to play (dont have Wood Elves, don't care much for Bretonnian factions), and with them being surrounded on all sides there's no direction I don't have an enemy at war with, it's garbage. I think I've had an easier time with every other faction I've tried. The only factions that haven't attacked me yet are the Norscan factions (until Chaos shows up).

How are you struggling? Empire is not that hard, at all. You start at war with some rebels you should wipe out in 4-6 turns, a very minor orc faction, and Beastmen (but they'll take a while to get to you), and I've never had every faction declare war on me like you're describing even on legendary with a whole bunch of neighbors with the "distrusts the Empire" trait.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jamwad Hilder posted:

and Beastmen (but they'll take a while to get to you)
In my experience they tend to hit the Empire settlement next to Bretonnia by turn 10 if you leave it undefended.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Early beastmen stacks are cake though.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Staltran posted:

In my experience they tend to hit the Empire settlement next to Bretonnia by turn 10 if you leave it undefended.

This does often happen but town garrisons plus a lord and a couple extra units can defend while your main army is elsewhere.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

https://youtu.be/noe03Zphrls

Here's a new video. It's a basics tutorial for Warhammer 2. No new info, but nice for new players.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I had a bit of trouble in one Empire start last month where Skarsnik came right at me after I'd taken the settlement just to the right of Altdorf. That giant spider he has is a bit of a fucker that early.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kroq-Gar takes the time to pet Grymloq every so often in his animated character portrait during lord selection. :3:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 18, 2017

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

thebardyspoon posted:

I had a bit of trouble in one Empire start last month where Skarsnik came right at me after I'd taken the settlement just to the right of Altdorf. That giant spider he has is a bit of a fucker that early.
The early spider is a bastard but can be focus fired down by your handgunners & crossbowmen ( Assuming a Franz start ), even when it's engaged in melee with another unit ( I try to intercept it with my halberdiers ). You won't kill it outright but you should be able to make it break before it's mauled your infantry - keep an eye on it recovering morale and keep your handgunners free from the brawl so you can force a retreat again. If you've recruited some Free Company in the turn previously, your life is made easier. Early game Free Company are a godsend for protecting flanks and manoeuvring behind enemy units until you can recruit more handgunners.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ZombyDog posted:

The early spider is a bastard but can be focus fired down by your handgunners & crossbowmen ( Assuming a Franz start ), even when it's engaged in melee with another unit ( I try to intercept it with my halberdiers ). You won't kill it outright but you should be able to make it break before it's mauled your infantry - keep an eye on it recovering morale and keep your handgunners free from the brawl so you can force a retreat again. If you've recruited some Free Company in the turn previously, your life is made easier. Early game Free Company are a godsend for protecting flanks and manoeuvring behind enemy units until you can recruit more handgunners.
Honestly, that loving spider is such a huge part of Skarsnik's early strength that losing a battle but killing it is probably a good trade in your favor.

e: And yeah I love Free Company. I want there to be an upgrade to give them some AP pretty deep into the Empire tech tree so I can justify continuing to use them heavily late into the game.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 18, 2017

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ZombyDog posted:

Yeah, Free Company are amazing in the early game. Unless the enemy had a lot of cav, I'd always vanguard them for early skirmishing then run them back up along the sides to shoot into the flank when the lines engaged. Over 100 kills, almost every battle. The elves might be the least interesting part of TW2, but I'm definitely looking forward to their hybrid-infantry+.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Lol the CA streamers just got hit by a huge skaven ambush.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Fangz posted:

It's super good, this is actually a very entertaining stream.

lol:

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Fangz posted:

Yeah 5k+ skaven vs 800~ lizards on turn 4.

Loving it :)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fangz posted:

Yeah, he was up with like 800 lizards against 5000 Skaven. It was awesome. :allears:

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, looks like Skaven will be the new Vampire Counts AI with their zombie spam.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NLJP posted:

Yeah 5k+ skaven vs 800~ lizards on turn 4.

Loving it :)

5/1 skaven/lizardmen is a very survivable ratio for lizardmen, provided you can get the saurus up front asap

otherwise you got troubles

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Fighting the lizards as Skaven is going to be very tricky. Those lizards are tough as hell.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Next battle had his 1.1k Lizards vs 5.5k+ rats + ~200 summoned rats. They all routed off the edge of the map. Lizard wizard MVP.

Lionheartx10 has part one of his Edge lord elf campaign up. It's an hour long.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I kind of feel bad that I've barely played TW1, I mostly bought it and each DLC on release to support the brand. :blush:

TW2 is what I'll be playing the most of just because the races and locations are far more interesting to me.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Jamwad Hilder posted:

How are you struggling? Empire is not that hard, at all. You start at war with some rebels you should wipe out in 4-6 turns, a very minor orc faction, and Beastmen (but they'll take a while to get to you), and I've never had every faction declare war on me like you're describing even on legendary with a whole bunch of neighbors with the "distrusts the Empire" trait.

I cant remember town names but I got into a defensive alliance with a southern human faction that got into a fight with dwarves, and then I was able to confederate that faction but still was fighting dwarves in the south, overextended towards the vampires, and then Skarsnik/beastmen attacked me at the same time from the west, and shortly thereafter Marienburg got jealous of my good looks / burgeoning empire and attacked me in the north.

So poor decisions and a bit of poor luck. Also I concede I may be bad. Some good advice in this thread, I would make different decisions next time but with the expansion out soon I may just ride out this game and see where it goes, even if that means it ends in flames :black101:

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Best part of that stream was finding out expendable units don't cause routs except for other expendable units.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Luminous Cow posted:

Best part of that stream was finding out expendable units don't cause routs except for other expendable units.

That is utterly perfect for Skaven.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Luminous Cow posted:

Oh thank God that they included this. It's perfect for Skaven and (probably) Bretonnian peasants.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

PlushCow posted:

I cant remember town names but I got into a defensive alliance with a southern human faction that got into a fight with dwarves, and then I was able to confederate that faction but still was fighting dwarves in the south, overextended towards the vampires, and then Skarsnik/beastmen attacked me at the same time from the west, and shortly thereafter Marienburg got jealous of my good looks / burgeoning empire and attacked me in the north.

So poor decisions and a bit of poor luck. Also I concede I may be bad. Some good advice in this thread, I would make different decisions next time but with the expansion out soon I may just ride out this game and see where it goes, even if that means it ends in flames :black101:

Oh yeah that'll happen. Empire isn't difficult but it is very easy to over-extend yourself. I tend to not make alliances with anyone because they will absolutely drag you into really stupid wars. Trade, non-aggression, and potentially military access are the only things I really shoot for. Eventually I'll subjugate or confederate with some choice factions.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I never really got the passion for ambushes yall seem to have. It feels like 9/10 times when I try for ambush, I get detected and then either a normal battle happens or the enemy goes somewhere else.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Eschatos posted:

I never really got the passion for ambushes yall seem to have. It feels like 9/10 times when I try for ambush, I get detected and then either a normal battle happens or the enemy goes somewhere else.

The point of ambushes is to obtain battles that the AI would rather not fight. You ambush with a strong army to deal with a weaker AI army, and the effect is that either the AI walks into the ambush (great), or the AI otherwise ends its turn within attack range of your army, something it would otherwise never do.

You want to clear away enemy agents that might spot your ambush army. If you do that the enemy will only be rolling to detect your ambush when their army gets close, at which point they'd very likely be out of movement pts to flee.

EDIT: If you are in a situation where the AI will *attack you* normally on detection then you're kinda doing ambushes wrong. Like yeah getting an ambush battle is nice to give you an edge but the bigger point is to force the AI to fight low odds battles against your doomstacks.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 18, 2017

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Even if you you're not using it to have the AI walk directly into ambush battles the ambush stance is the only way to get around the AI's perfect information about where to place their armies so that they will be one millimeter away from your army's maximum movement.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Fangz posted:

Fighting the lizards as Skaven is going to be very tricky. Those lizards are tough as hell.

it's the orcs vs. dwarves of warhammer 2.

except this time the orcs have the siege weapons of the gods, and also the ability to snap a finger and make a unit of goblins exist

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Watching that livestream and Lionheartx10's LP, AI armies seem a lot more willing to take to the field. The only retreats were to try to bait into traps or when there was a hilarious imbalance of power in the player's favour.

This I'm glad of, because I'm kinda sick of chasing AI armies around the map while their agents detect any ambushes I try to set.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

SteelMentor posted:

Watching that livestream and Lionheartx10's LP, AI armies seem a lot more willing to take to the field. The only retreats were to try to bait into traps or when there was a hilarious imbalance of power in the player's favour.

This I'm glad of, because I'm kinda sick of chasing AI armies around the map while their agents detect any ambushes I try to set.

I'm just hoping the balance of power makes sense this time

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Luminous Cow posted:

I'm just hoping the balance of power makes sense this time

You know this is a fool's hope.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

PlushCow posted:

I cant remember town names but I got into a defensive alliance with a southern human faction that got into a fight with dwarves, and then I was able to confederate that faction but still was fighting dwarves in the south,

Be very careful about allying with anyone fighting dwarfs, unless you are prepared to exterminate all dwarf factions. They will never, ever forget it. If an ally gets into a war with dwarfs I usually leave them to it and take the penalty for not joining, unless I'm orcs or am ready for them as VC.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I like having tier 4 settlements so much I really hope they eventually implement it in the main Grand campaign eventually. To balance it there could be various costs:

Dwarves: Get access to tier 4 settlements, giving acess to tier 4 economic buildings. They can also now build tier 3 garrison building, though this costs 1 pop surplus+4500g for the privilege (so it takes a while). The tier 3 garrison building primarily upgrades the existing garrison, adding a unit of irondrakes and Slayers and replacing a few quarrelers to Thunderers and warriors to Longbeards. Capital walls also get another upgrade tier which does a similar 'upgrade several existing units to a higher tier counterpart'. Minor settlements in particular are able to turtle up over time even if you can't get the full province.

Empire: Some minor settlements can upgrade to tier 4, though not all of them. Tier 4 empire settlements get walls even if you didn't build the garrison.

Norsca: Cannot build T4 settlements themselves, but capturing coastal T4 settlements gives them a T4 settlement assuming they haven't sacked it.

Vampire Counts: Can build T4 settlements if local corruption is high enough.

• Locked thread