Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh! I watched Phantasm too. Tie it with NOES i suppose.

e: picture for the picture thread

a kitten has a new favorite as of 16:35 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Randaconda posted:

Nah, both Evil Dead movies still hold up pretty well. Bad practical effects don't seem to have aged as badly as bad cgi has.

Especially because they're deliberately low-budget practical effects. The first one was made for only $350,000-$400,000.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Randaconda posted:

BOYYYYYYYYY

You play a good game, boy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Randaconda posted:

I haven't seen the new IT, but I did work my through the book while my power was out for a week from Irma. Is it good?

Saw it this past weekend and loved it, it made like $120+ million its opening weekend. Theater I went to was still nearly full and I went to an early afternoon show.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Saw it this past weekend and loved it, it made like $120+ million its opening weekend. Theater I went to was still nearly full and I went to an early afternoon show.

Does it dethrone Shawshank as the best Stephen King movie?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Randaconda posted:

Unless Pennywise transforms into Morgan Freeman to dispense folksy self-deprecating wisdom to lure his victims you know it goddamn doesn't.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Phlegmish posted:

Freddy is not a very scary villain, the psychological impact of these movies comes mostly from the disturbing dreamlike atmosphere.

I've watched maybe seven Nightmare on Elm Street movies, the first one is still the best.

Yeah, undermining your sense of reality was the scary bit. What if your nightmares were real?!? What if you're dreaming right now???

The deaths through dream walking suicide were also quite good. Freddy isn't killing you, he's tricking you into killing yourself. I remember one where a girl thinks she has woken up and goes to the bathroom to wash her face, then the tap grows razor claws and grabs her, while in the real world she walked into the bathroom while still asleep and slit her own wrist with a razor.

Oh, right, funny pictures.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ha ha she's blinking!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnfXxOVwYno

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/KariVanHorn/status/909803333442969600

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

i smoke a lot of weed, so would

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Corn on pizza is crazy.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Randaconda posted:

Yes. But nothing has yet to topple Stand By Me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everyone is just forgetting about The Shining or what?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ferrule posted:

When I stop and think about it, I'm always a bit mystified at how many of King's works have an adaptation. Just look at this fuckin' list,

quote:

1976 Carrie (based on the novel from 1974)
1980 The Shining (based on the novel from 1977)
1982 Creepshow (consists of five short films; two based on the short stories "Weeds" from 1976 and "The Crate" from 1979, the rest King wrote specifically for the film)
1983 Cujo (based on the novel from 1981)
1983 The Dead Zone (based on the novel from 1979)
1983 Christine (based on the novel from 1983)
1984 Children of the Corn (based on the short story from 1977)
1984 Firestarter (based on the novel from 1980)
1985 Cat's Eye (consists of three short films; two based on the short stories "Quitters, Inc." from 1978 and "The Ledge" from 1976, the other one was written specifically for the film)
1985 Silver Bullet (based on the novella Cycle of the Werewolf from 1983)
1986 Maximum Overdrive (based on the short story "Trucks" from 1973)
1986 Stand by Me (based on the novella The Body from 1982)
1987 Creepshow 2 (sequel to the 1982 film, consists of three short films; one based on the short story "The Raft" from 1982, the other two were written specifically for the film)
1987 The Lawnmower Man: A Suburban Nightmare (short film based on the short story from 1975)
1987 A Return to Salem's Lot (sequel to the 1979 mini-series)
1987 The Running Man (based on the novel from 1982)
1989 Pet Sematary (based on the novel from 1983)
1990 Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (consists of three short films; one based on the short story "The Cat from Hell" from 1977, the other two have no connection to King)
1990 Graveyard Shift (based on the short story from 1970)
1990 Misery (based on the novel from 1987)
1992 The Lawnmower Man (An adaptation in title only. King eventually sued New Line Cinema in order to have his name removed from the film's title)
1992 Sleepwalkers (original screenplay)
1992 Pet Sematary Two (sequel to the 1989 film)
1992 Children of the Corn II: The Final Sacrifice (sequel to the 1984 film; only sequel to be released theatrically)
1993 The Dark Half (based on the novel from 1989)
1993 Needful Things (based on the novel from 1990)
1994 The Shawshank Redemption (based on the novella Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption from 1982)
1995 The Mangler (based on the short story from 1972)
1995 Dolores Claiborne (based on the novel from 1992)
1995 Children of the Corn III: Urban Harvest (sequel to the 1993 film; first sequel to be released straight to video)
1996 The Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace (sequel to the 1992 film)
1996 Sometimes They Come Back... Again (sequel to the 1991 TV film)
1996 Children of the Corn IV: The Gathering (sequel to the 1995 film)
1996 Thinner (based on the novel from 1984)
1997 The Night Flier (based on the short story from 1988)
1998 Children of the Corn V: Fields of Terror (sequel to the 1996 film)
1998 Apt Pupil (based on the novella from 1982)
1998 Sometimes They Come Back… for More (sequel to the 1996 film)
1999 The Rage: Carrie 2 (sequel to the 1976 film)
1999 Children of the Corn 666: Isaac's Return (sequel to the 1998 film)
1999 The Green Mile (based on the novel from 1996)
2001 Hearts in Atlantis (based on the novella Low Men In Yellow Coats from 1999)
2001 Children of the Corn: Revelation (sequel to the 1999 film)
2002 The Mangler 2 (sequel to the 1995 film)
2002 Firestarter: Rekindled (sequel to the 1984 film)
2003 Dreamcatcher (based on the novel from 2001)
2004 Secret Window (based on the novella Secret Window, Secret Garden from 1990)
2004 Riding the Bullet (based on the novella from 2000)
2005 The Mangler Reborn (sequel to the 2002 film)
2005 Gotham Cafe (based on the short story "Lunch at the Gotham Café" from 1995)
2007 Creepshow III (unofficial sequel to the 1987 film; consists of five short films, none of which were written by King)
2007 1408 (based on the short story from 1999)
2007 The Mist (based on the novella from 1980)
2007 No Smoking (based on the short story Quitters Inc.)
2009 Dolan's Cadillac (based on the short story from 1985)
2011 Children of the Corn: Genesis (sequel to the 2001 film)
2013 Carrie (third adaptation of the novel from 1974)
2014 A Good Marriage (based on the 2010 novella, Screenplay by Stephen King)
2014 Mercy (based on the short story "Gramma" from King's 1985 collection Skeleton Crew)
2016 Cell (based on the 2006 novel, Screenplay by Stephen King)
2017 The Dark Tower (loose partial adaptation of book series)
2017 It (based on the 1986 novel)
2017 Children of the Corn: Runaway (sequel to the 2011 film)
2017 Gerald's Game (based on the 1992 novel, post-production)
2017 1922 (based on the 2010 novella, post-production)
2019 It: Chapter Two (based on the 1986 novel, in development)

And that's just the motion picture stuff. What is is about his stories that makes them so lusted after by film producers?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ferrule posted:

I like Misery a whole lot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I have to put a vote in for the Emoji Movie as the best horror movie of this year.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

they made a god damned sequel to THE MANGLER

e: holy poo poo wait they made TWO SEQUELS to THE MANGLER

"Directors Gardner and Cunningham intended the film to be a "rebirth" of the film franchise, with the film not requiring viewers to have seen the prior two films" oh whew what a mitzvah

e: e: lmao I'm loving dying

"The Mangler virus was programmed to 'serve' the person who downloaded by simply killing all those who hurt him or her. There is a warning: once the Mangler Virus is released into the system and begins its systematic rampage, there's no stopping it, not even by the person who downloaded it into the system and became an accomplice in the super virus's bloody rampage."

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Sep 18, 2017

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

True story: this is my neighbors cat, his name is Jack.

He's pretty cool.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Skippy McPants posted:

When I stop and think about it, I'm always a bit mystified at how many of King's works have an adaptation. Just look at this fuckin' list,

And that's just the motion picture stuff. What is is about his stories that makes them so lusted after by film producers?

their popularity

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

AndyElusive posted:

True story: this is my neighbors cat, his name is Jack.

He's pretty cool.

He looks like he's about to steal my girl by inviting her to spend a week on his dad's houseboat.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

their popularity

Well, yes, but that's just a synonym for my question. What is it about King's work that makes it so appealing in adaptation, arguably more appealing than in the written form? Is it because he's so dominant in his niche? Because he taps into something that other writers don't, and if so, what? Or is it something else entirely?

Sorry, this thread isn't really the place for it, but every time it comes up I'm always agog at the fact that King has dozens of adaptations, while other authors–even prolific ones—have maybe two or three.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, yes, but that's just a synonym for my question. What is it about King's work that makes it so appealing in adaptation, arguably more appealing than in the written form? Is it because he's so dominant in his niche? Because he taps into something that other writers don't, and if so, what? Or is it something else entirely?

Sorry, this thread isn't really the place for it, but every time it comes up I'm always agog at the fact that King has dozens of adaptations, while other authors–even prolific ones—have maybe two or three.

While there's been far more bad adaptions of his books, some have hit out of the park, is all I can think of.

Partial list of good ones:
Carrie
Shining
Dead Zone
Shawshank
Misery
It 2017, apparently
Creepshow, and Creepshow 2, to a lesser extent
Cujo
Maximum Overdrive (:colbert:)
Stand By Me
Apt Pupil

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Skippy McPants posted:

His popularity as an author leads to the movies, not the popularity of the movies leads to the movies. And the dude's stories often translate to "high concept" pitches really well.

He's also extremely prolific - dude writes a lot of books.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

theflyingorc posted:

His popularity as an author leads to the movies, not the popularity of the movies leads to the movies. And the dude's stories often translate to "high concept" pitches really well.

He's also extremely prolific - dude writes a lot of books.

Guess how many books he's written. I was way off.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JoelJoel posted:

gotta be close to 50 or so

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you include novellas and such I bet he has over 100 stories published.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

JoelJoel posted:

It has to be soemthing ridiculous

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Randaconda posted:

While there's been far more bad adaptions of his books, some have hit out of the park, is all I can think of.

Partial list of good ones:
Carrie
Shining
Dead Zone
Shawshank
Misery
It 2017, apparently
Creepshow, and Creepshow 2, to a lesser extent
Cujo
Maximum Overdrive (:colbert:)
Stand By Me
Apt Pupil

Running Man

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pr0zac posted:

Running Man

Yes

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Evil dead 3 best horror movie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JoelJoel posted:

https://i.imgur.com/27KcU4v.mp4

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

The turnaround between publication and adaptation of some of those is pretty mad too.

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a bit in Disney War which explains how there were four big "mega authors" in publishing the 1990s - who outsold everyone else put together and whose work was almost guaranteed to succeed as adaptations - and King was probably the best of them (the other three were Michael Crichton, John Grisham and Tom Clancy).

Those Grisham courtroom dramas were big movies in the 90s. I think A Time To Kill was probably the biggest?

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's a bit in Disney War which explains how there were four big "mega authors" in publishing the 1990s - who outsold everyone else put together and whose work was almost guaranteed to succeed as adaptations - and King was probably the best of them (the other three were Michael Crichton, John Grisham and Tom Clancy).

Those Grisham courtroom dramas were big movies in the 90s. I think A Time To Kill was probably the biggest?

:laffo: at the 90s

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A Time To Kill was pretty decent, from what I remember.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Horror is popular, Stephen King is popular and writes a lot of relatively short-form stuff that lends itself to adaptations (usually), writes shitloads of stuff so there's a lot to choose from, and seems happy to sign off film rights to whoever, presumably because even if some adaptations stink there's good ones by Sturgeon's Law.

IIRC, he wasn't a fan of The Shining or at least said it deviated a lot from his book, while his reaction to the ending of The Mist was basically 'drat, I wish I'd thought of that'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Come on JoelJoel tell us how many books he wrote