Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

dogsicle posted:

actually they don't, because it's a complete change to their production pipeline that would only serve a niche audience

The thing is that Netflix already does translation + simulcasting in certain markets. I live in korea and Netflix has the international rights to some American network tv programs and simulcasts them here with Korean subtitles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
They also have anime in Japan that they upload weekly. I'm just gonna assume that their translation team for Japanese stuff runs off of a model to translate the scripts for whole seasons at a time, hence the long waits and dropping the whole series at once later for bingewatchers.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Julias posted:

They also have anime in Japan that they upload weekly. I'm just gonna assume that their translation team for Japanese stuff runs off of a model to translate the scripts for whole seasons at a time, hence the long waits and dropping the whole series at once later for bingewatchers.

It is probably more likely that they have data that more people watch the show when they have both dubbed and subs for more of their region than release subs first and then release dubs later.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

astr0man posted:

The thing is that Netflix already does translation + simulcasting in certain markets. I live in korea and Netflix has the international rights to some American network tv programs and simulcasts them here with Korean subtitles.

in this case i'd assume the market overseas for certain american shows may warrant this method, whereas america (or netflix's share of america) doesn't​ do the same for anime. and to elaborate on a point already mentioned, dubbing anime widens its reach considerably over just subbing it. and while simuldubbing exists, that would be another big production shift for what would probably end up a shoddier product.

e: i also wonder how much autonomy various regions of netflix have. like is this a case where netflix asia is investing these resources on their own and us netflix is on a different page entirely?

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 17, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wish I recognized more than three of the new anime this upcoming season.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Why? Watching and discovering things you've never heard of is good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

1/4 of the upcoming shows are sequels

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
...I'm not sure how that's relevant, or if that's a lot or a little tbh

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Knorth posted:

...I'm not sure how that's relevant, or if that's a lot or a little tbh

13 sequels out of 44 total, and it was in response to grouchio only recognizing three shows

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
You do kinda have to have not been paying attention at all to not recognize any of the sequels. I could see that being a big barrier to entry for the season in general though, but it's also a good opportunity to check out some shows you might have missed/skipped in past seasons

watch hozuki

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I mean, just because it got a sequel doesn't mean he's heard of it before

Maybe having listened to game/movie releases is affecting me but only a quarter of a thing being sequels feels alright

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah I see a lot for me next season, but I'm a fan of idol shows of which there are 3.5 in the next season, and a lot of the other sequels I was also a big fan of like Classicaloid and Osomatsu. Not counting Kino, which is a reboot/remake, I'm interested in Land of the Lustrous, Anime-gatari, and Just Because.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I recognise all the shows that are sequels I just didn't like any of them.

Apart from Umaru

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It is me, I'm the mark. I get so excited for new March and Sunshine and IM@S that I bleed from the eyeballs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There's apparently an Anime Convention in Baghdad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kuwait has had like, 6 anime conventions in the last year or so. The quality of cosplay is extremely high but also the average Kuwaiti has a lot more time and money on their hands than the average Iraqi.

There was always a pretty big contingent of nerds as a proportion here I think partially because there's already a taboo against girls and guys hanging out and alcohol is illegal so guess what, we all become anime fans

The cosplayers have been a really good mix of both genders which is nice, and people are pretty cool and respectful about it.

The cons themselves are a giant mess (I haven't been to any tbh) but it's cool to give a sense of community I guess. It's a tiny country, there are about 4 million people living here but only about a third are actually from here and they're the ones that are going to be doing things like cosplay in their free time instead of flying back home

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Hina Logi was good. Did anyone here watch the original Luck & Logic series last year? I might check it out if it's similar in tone to Hina Logi.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Araki posted:

Hina Logi was good. Did anyone here watch the original Luck & Logic series last year? I might check it out if it's similar in tone to Hina Logi.

It's a different genre, much more a battle thing than a SoL thing, but I also liked it a lot. If you thought the universe/magic system was interesting definitely watch Luck & Logic, it explains much more of it and establishes what the situation was like before things were settled and the school in Hina Logi was founded.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Araki posted:

It was dull but pleasant, with the occasional bit of memorable visual flair.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Did anyone stick with 18if? Did it ever develop any overarching story properly and did any episodes get really interesting?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

nielsm posted:

Did anyone stick with 18if? Did it ever develop any overarching story properly and did any episodes get really interesting?

this week finally set up the overarching​ plot that will resolve in the next two episodes. i'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out with two different directors at the helm, but i doubt it does anything to surpass the better standalone episodes.

7 is the stand out episode of the entire series. it has a drastically different art style and a good amount of symbolic meat to unpack if you wish. 10 follows it as another great episode visually, and it sets up some for the overarching plot. 3 is rote storywise but very accomplished visually, so i really enjoyed it. 9 is absolutely bonkers and worth watching just to experience. 2 is a serviceable horror thing, i think this and episode 3 convinced people to stay on and see where the show went. if you're dying to see some of the show's lows, episode 5 is uniquely awful in the message it expresses and how much it shits on the character involved.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I got lazy, so uh, don't expect the seasonal thread until next weekend. :sweatdrop:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ta

To

Ba

TaToBa

Ta To Ba

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:3: What a sweet episode, the first segment with the kids learning about flowers, names and shapes was adorable. Good pup too

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

knights and magic dot png

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ta

To

Ba

TaToBa

Ta To Ba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVb4xaGXvpM

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i should watch the weird cambodian genocide episode of 18if at some point

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

drat i'm super hyped for knights and magic's final episode

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

the last episode of touken ranbu is also going to be intense, this season has been a powerhouse

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Homura and Sickle posted:

i should watch the weird cambodian genocide episode of 18if at some point

follow up: i did, it was really good actually

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

drat i'm super hyped for knights and magic's final episode

Me too, I love that ernie was yelling like a madman in that fight

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
for some reason i keep seeing weirdly high view counts for Knights and Magic and i really don't understand why

like on some places more people are watching it than Boruto

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Knorth posted:

:3: What a sweet episode, the first segment with the kids learning about flowers, names and shapes was adorable. Good pup too

I really wish this series was about the younger kids and their onee-sans rather than about everything. It's really jarring in the manga to go from a chapter about South American terrorists attacks to a chapter about Hime's cousin and the Chi-chans going to (separate) elementary schools.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i guess you could say it's jarring but that just sounds like the author wants to explore their world, which contains more than just cute things

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Six legged dog kind of freaks me out

Gyra_Solune posted:

for some reason i keep seeing weirdly high view counts for Knights and Magic and i really don't understand why

K&M doesn't seem super popular, Boruto is just kind of average compared to the juggernaut that was Naruto.

It looks like the most viewed stuff these days is Attack on Titan, Fate/Apocrypha, and Hero Academia.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 18, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

It looks like the most viewed stuff these days is Attack on Titan, Fate/Apocrypha, and Hero Academia.
Dragon Ball Super and One Piece are still super popular here in México.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

Sounds like some places have people with taste

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

VostokProgram posted:

Sounds like some places have people with taste

yeah, bad taste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

YA fantasy is popular

• Locked thread