System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

Huh, so that's not even the same guy.

E: Durr, the first one's Chicago.

... if that's not the same guy the wall from both the photo and the video are uncannily similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
God loving damnit, this Grahahm Cassidy bill is gonna pass isn't it...

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Speaking of, do we have an ETA on that? It would make a certain amount of sense if she's planning on doing image control by coming out FOR Alexander's bill rather than AGAINST Graham Cassidy.

I believe the bipartisan "fix" was supposed to be announced early this week. There's some hangups in that Republicans want flexibility in exchange for one year of CSR funding, which Dems don't trust for good reason. It might be hard to get a vote on it while Graham-Cassidy lives though. It's already hogging precious floor and CBO time that should be reserved for other Senate business, like CHIP renewal.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Javes posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/909823695299981313

Galaxy brain: Peace is good thing for everyone.

If Peace is good why do you send more troops into Afghanistan?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We're basically in a one strike you're out culture these days, for better or worse.

That's always been a thing. Its usually done as an excuse to not help someone in need; The right loves to do it on economic too: "oh you're broke? Shouldn't have had a kid at 19/picked a better major in college/gone to college/otherwise not done one stupid thing."

"You should of thought of that before you x" was a plot point in the book the jungle the main character gets arrested for attacking his boss who was raping his wife. When he told the judge the family is losing their breadwinner he was told "you should of thought of that before you attacked him" and that book was written in 1906.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chilichimp posted:

... if that's not the same guy the wall from both the photo and the video are uncannily similar.

The guy in the Twitter video looked too KOed to turn himself over for the facebook photo

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Chilichimp posted:

God loving damnit, this Grahahm Cassidy bill is gonna pass isn't it...

Probably not, but that's not the same thing as "no".

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

theflyingorc posted:

Given that all the firm "no"s on the other bills are "undecided" on this one, yeah its gonna pass in teh senate.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Khisanth Magus posted:

Given that all the firm "no"s on the other bills are "undecided" on this one, yeah its gonna pass in teh senate.

are you even reading the thread

Swap McCain for Rand Paul, the other two needed are the same people, Murkowski would be very surprising because her constituency loves her for it, and Collins hasn't changed anything that I've heard

edit: this is not to say it couldn't happen, but "it IS going to happen" isn't evidenced by anything I'm seeing.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

theflyingorc posted:

are you even reading the thread

Swap McCain for Rand Paul, the other two needed are the same people, Murkowski would be very surprising because her constituency loves her for it, and Collins hasn't changed anything that I've heard

edit: this is not to say it couldn't happen, but "it IS going to happen" isn't evidenced by anything I'm seeing.

I feel Rand Paul is a much weaker "no" than John McCain in this instance. He could easily flip if they make it evil enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

McCain is going to vote for it just cause it's got his BFF's name on it and Paul will cave. It's probably over 50% to pass.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Crabtree posted:

If Peace is good why do you send more troops into Afghanistan?

"Peace through Tyranny"

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Zoro posted:

I feel Rand Paul is a much weaker "no" than John McCain in this instance. He could easily flip if they make it evil enough.

I was surprised Paul got on board so easily last time with the bullshit cover of fixing things in conference and McCain stepped up, I feel like now they're reverted to their true stance.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Back in your loving hole, mcmagic

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
You know, Republicans threatening to take away healthcare from millions just isn't the same without Covok shrieking about how the sky is falling and that the GOP is ushering in a thousand years of FYGM darkness.

I almost miss him. :smith:

If this thing passes in the sentate, do we know that it will have the votes in the house? Are the HFC crazies on board with stopping short of full repeal?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

twice burned ice posted:

You know, Republicans threatening to take away healthcare from millions just isn't the same without Covok shrieking about how the sky is falling and that the GOP is ushering in a thousand years of FYGM darkness.

I almost miss him. :smith:

If this thing passes in the sentate, do we know that it will have the votes in the house? Are the HFC crazies on board with stopping short of full repeal?

Given that this is the best thing they are going to get to gently caress over poor people that they have a chance of passing they will probably vote yes.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

McCain is going to vote for it just cause it's got his BFF's name on it and Paul will cave. It's probably over 50% to pass.

lol this legitimately made me more convinced that it won't, thanks maggy

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It'd be very 2016 for this zombie bill to pass 2 or so days short of the GOP being locked out of loving Poor People for Tax Reasons 2017.

Then some Mic or Wordpress article would pop up showing us that no, it's a good thing that millions are losing their healthcare because radical progressive wokeness.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BLT Steakhouse is extremely good. So, I guess Trump's lawyers don't have 100% terrible judgement.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that's my own impression. The events of the summer were so chaotic that McConnell was stung by the charges of incompetence. He wants a chance for the bill to go through committees and let the Republicans act like grown-ups for once. He's gotten Murkowski to at least hold off until she sees what's in the final bill.

If three Rs come out this week as against it, the whole thing collapses and Rs continue to look bad. They need to go through the motions, at least.
But it's not going through committees? They're using the same shell they did last time, hence the need to meet the reconciliation deadline, hence this is just gonna be text worked out in a back room and dropped in by McConnell once they have a CBO score

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

theflyingorc posted:

lol this legitimately made me more convinced that it won't, thanks maggy

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/349462-mccain-backs-graham-cassidy-obamacare-repeal-effort

Like I said....

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Elotana posted:

But it's not going through committees? They're using the same shell they did last time, hence the need to meet the reconciliation deadline, hence this is just gonna be text worked out in a back room and dropped in by McConnell once they have a CBO score

there's going to be a random committee hearing in a committee that doesn't do health care but is headed by Johnson, probably in the hopes that is good enough for mccain

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

This is not new information, mcmagic

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

That ain't the point of contention. Paul doesn't really get poo poo out of caving on this.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Toxx it passing, mcmagic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McCain said he would support it if the Gov of AZ was onboard, and he just announced that he is. So McCain is a likely yes

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Like loving clockwork the usual suspects start beating the nihilistic drum as soon as they heard that the bill isn't DoA.

The bill has a chance at passing sure like it always has, that doesn't loving mean that it will or that it's even likely.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

McCain said he would support it if the Gov of AZ was onboard, and he just announced that he is. So McCain is a likely yes

It's basically Rand Paul votes yes and the thing passes. Like i said, over 50%.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Like loving clockwork the usual suspects start beating the nihilistic drum as soon as they heard that the bill isn't DoA.

The bill has a chance at passing sure like it always has, that doesn't loving mean that it will or that it's even likely.
If we're counting on Rand Paul to save us we are in for a world of hurt

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

mcmagic posted:

It's basically Rand Paul votes yes and the thing passes. Like i said, over 50%.

Yeah Paul is definitely a 50/50 vote on this.

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/909776871411392512

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/909776620038316032

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/909776281847386112

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/908747507118768129

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/908738194295984128

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/908739000424435712

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/908712867100282883

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/908675484493516800

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Honestly it's been surprising that a bill hasn't been passed yet. Or more accurately it's evidence that the modern Republican party is fractious and intellectually bankrupt, as if they'd been serious about repealing Obamacare they might have worked out a replacement any time over the last 7 years. However the Republicans control Congress and the Presidency and it's still up in the air whether they will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FlamingLiberal posted:

You cannot possibly call "taking a bold stand for stupid, stupid reason" to be completely outside the realm of possibility for a Paul.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Rand Paul looks out for Rand Paul. And what's good for Rand Paul is for the ACA to remain.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

If they flip Pand Raul it'll be because they convinced him it's the only way to stop Single Payer, which is hilarious because it basically throws a ton of fuel onto an issue that isn't Trump Sucks that Dems can run on in 2018 and 2020 and win weak Trump voters with.

If the GOP were smart they'd just come up with some awful perverted right wing mutation of Single Payer, eat the hypocrisy charges because nobody cares about hypocrisy, and move on. But they won't.

God help us all if the GOP ever figures out how powerful they would be if they just did some poo poo that's actually popular.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Rand Paul looks out for Rand Paul. And what's good for Rand Paul is for the ACA to remain.

Also to not do a pirouette after so openly bashing this bill as not nearly conservative enough for The True Libertarian Ideologue.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Mcconell won't make the same mistake twice, if he brings this to the floor for votes he knows he has them. If he does and fails again holy poo poo is he terrible at his job.

I will continue to believe worst case scenarios though. Expect the worst because hell we got Trump in the White house so anything is possible.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

If they flip Pand Raul it'll be because they convinced him it's the only way to stop Single Payer, which is hilarious because it basically throws a ton of fuel onto an issue that isn't Trump Sucks that Dems can run on in 2018 and 2020 and win weak Trump voters with.

If the GOP were smart they'd just come up with some awful perverted right wing mutation of Single Payer, eat the hypocrisy charges because nobody cares about hypocrisy, and move on. But they won't.

God help us all if the GOP ever figures out how powerful they would be if they just did some poo poo that's actually popular.

By god and big govt they will stand by thier devotion to totally unpopular poo poo they propagandad up support for

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I lost count. Are we at fifty if McCain is a yes and Paul/Collins/Murk are no?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Spiffster posted:

Mcconell won't make the same mistake twice, if he brings this to the floor for votes he knows he has them. If he does and fails again holy poo poo is he terrible at his job.

I will continue to believe worst case scenarios though. Expect the worst because hell we got Trump in the White house so anything is possible.

I have to say, as generally bad as McCain was, is, and always shall be, I did enjoy him murdering Mitch McConnell live on CSPAN. :v:

And like any good antisocial goon I was in the thread when it happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Tayter Swift posted:

I lost count. Are we at fifty if McCain is a yes and Paul/Collins/Murk are no?

• Locked thread