Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Can't you just install some scheduled backup software to do that? You could do this using launchd, bash, and rsync on a Mac (easier than it sounds), which is what I do to make a network backup of my iTunes and Photos libraries (separate from Time Machine). I think your dad is using Windows, so I am not sure exactly what software would be best, but I am sure there are several options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208075

Apple is starting to strip things out of iTunes to help optimize it? And there's FLAC support in iOS 11? What is happening?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

IUG posted:

Apple is starting to strip things out of iTunes to help optimize it? And there's FLAC support in iOS 11? What is happening?
You can't buy books from iTunes anymore, which really sucks - especially for Windows users.

"Stripping" stuff out is nice and all, but it's really dumb to see them push it to iOS.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

You can't buy books from iTunes anymore, which really sucks - especially for Windows users.

"Stripping" stuff out is nice and all, but it's really dumb to see them push it to iOS.

Except who is really using iTunes to actually read their books? I'd love to see the actual statistic but I bet it's in the single digit percentages at most.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Except who is really using iTunes to actually read their books? I'd love to see the actual statistic but I bet it's in the single digit percentages at most.
Not for reading, buying.

Reading iBooks at work can be p decent, but that's macOS only.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All new iTunes version does is crash when I try to open it, even as administrator or in safe mode. Cool beans.

Rolled back a version and everything works great. Great update, 10/10.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

IUG posted:

lmao speak of the devil. i used itunes to download a couple of apps the other day, for the first time in like 8 years. it was nice that my devices automatically downloaded the app - they should really add that function to the web interface or something, it's quite convenient and is one of the main features i miss from when i had an android. even amazon with their weird UI fuckery have it for kindles, and it works well.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the new itunes rules

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if I have epubs on my windows, how do i get them on my ipad now?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

if I have epubs on my windows, how do i get them on my ipad now?
I use Dropbox. Dropbox app on the iPad , and share - Copy to iBooks.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
After the update, itunes wiped all the music that was already on the ipod I bought on ebay like a year ago. I don't really care about this and in fact did not want the music in my library and just was too lazy to wipe it (and somewhat amused by this awful music). Maybe this is just a bug I experienced. But I know some people have music on their old stuff that isn't associated with their AppleIDs and care about it so be aware.

Itunes does seem to be moving a little better now than it has in recent 12.x versions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh hey, cool. I can't manage my movies and ebooks and anymore. And now I have to download app updates twice (once for each device) instead of just syncing both devices. Who do I swear at to get this changed?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I use Dropbox. Dropbox app on the iPad , and share - Copy to iBooks.
What's a good way to copy 300+mb PDF files onto my iPad that is better than that?

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 17, 2017

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Readdle Documents can get files from a network share, as can Transmit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Next question: What about movies? I have a bunch of stuff from VHX and my own personal DVD rips. How do I manage those WITHOUT copying gigs of crap to and from a Dropbox that isn't big enough?

EDIT: Turns out they just kinda hid movies a little. Still pissed off about the rest, though.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 17, 2017

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

IUG posted:

also, it does not support flac. hopefully in the next version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Found a way to copy stuff from your PC to your iOS device. Doesn't allow any kind of actual media management like adding title or author, so it's actively worse than the old way. Ugh.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

why was there no way to redownload purchased ringtones from your phone for 10 years?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I've cleaned out all my music from iTunes and starting importing only stuff I actually listen to after cleaning up the tags, and I've already hit a problem. Does anybody know what causes a compilation album to appear under the 'Compilations' heading in iTunes, like so?

It's not the 'Compilation' checkbox under song info, because I have a whole lot of other albums that are marked as such (and are sorted under 'Compilations' in the filesystem) but don't appear under the heading:

It's not having the 'Artist' field set to 'Various Artists', or (as far as I can tell) having any of the 'sort as' fields set, or any of the ID3 tags iTunes doesn't display. What the gently caress does it take to get this program to behave?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TACD posted:

I've cleaned out all my music from iTunes and starting importing only stuff I actually listen to after cleaning up the tags, and I've already hit a problem. Does anybody know what causes a compilation album to appear under the 'Compilations' heading in iTunes, like so?

It's not the 'Compilation' checkbox under song info, because I have a whole lot of other albums that are marked as such (and are sorted under 'Compilations' in the filesystem) but don't appear under the heading:

It's not having the 'Artist' field set to 'Various Artists', or (as far as I can tell) having any of the 'sort as' fields set, or any of the ID3 tags iTunes doesn't display. What the gently caress does it take to get this program to behave?
Hmm, so you have albums with the Compilation checkbox that [I]don't]/I] show up under the Compilations heading in iTunes album view? That seems odd. As far as I can tell, that checkbox get prioritized over the Album Artist field (i.e. an album with specific Album Artist metadata will still get pulled into Compilations if it has the checkbox checked).

Are your albums properly displaying with all their tracks together at least? It's a common tagging problem to have a compilation incorrectly split into like a separate album for each track, but it sounds like you're past that.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Minidust posted:

Hmm, so you have albums with the Compilation checkbox that [I]don't]/I] show up under the Compilations heading in iTunes album view? That seems odd. As far as I can tell, that checkbox get prioritized over the Album Artist field (i.e. an album with specific Album Artist metadata will still get pulled into Compilations if it has the checkbox checked).

Are your albums properly displaying with all their tracks together at least? It's a common tagging problem to have a compilation incorrectly split into like a separate album for each track, but it sounds like you're past that.
Yes and yes. And just for funsies, I tried unchecking 'Compilation' on a single track in an album; for an album under the 'Compilation' heading it will pull the entire album out into the main list and for an album already in the main list it does nothing. In either case the whole album is displayed together even though the individual track gets moved to its own directory. :psyduck:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What if you check the entire album a compilation, and then turn it off for the entire album? Maybe that will force it off. Works for me when albums "split" (one or more track goes off and becomes a second album of just a few tracks).

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
ITunes sometimes doesn't load, no bulk resetting of play counts, copy to play order no longer works, and Wi-Fi sync decides that it has to stop 9 times out of 10 after the looking for iPhone step.

Yeah, I need to roll back a bunch of versions I think.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 19, 2017

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

Yes and yes. And just for funsies, I tried unchecking 'Compilation' on a single track in an album; for an album under the 'Compilation' heading it will pull the entire album out into the main list and for an album already in the main list it does nothing. In either case the whole album is displayed together even though the individual track gets moved to its own directory. :psyduck:

Check for the Album Artist tag as well, or the sort by section.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

IUG posted:

What if you check the entire album a compilation, and then turn it off for the entire album? Maybe that will force it off. Works for me when albums "split" (one or more track goes off and becomes a second album of just a few tracks).
I can force the albums out of the Compilations section by unchecking the box, but checking it won't force them in to that section.

Chris Knight posted:

Check for the Album Artist tag as well, or the sort by section.
The Album Artist field is set properly on all of them... however, I did discover that I can make iTunes put them into the Compilation setting by (incorrectly) setting the Album Artist to 'Various Artists', which will have to do I suppose. I can't believe there's a single iTunes developer who actually has a properly organised and categorised library, iTunes just doesn't allow it.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
So, uh, is play count broken on 12.7?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
The iOS update seems to have fixed playlists putting new songs at the bottom, so it wasn't actually an iTunes problem.

I haven't noticed play count issues so far with 12.7, but I still really miss being able to reset the play counts for my entire library.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I haven't had a playcount problem either. I would have noticed, since I have a playlist of "new" music, and if the playcount didn't go up, I'd be listening to the same songs again today. I'll have to check the songs I listened to last night on iTunes itself, but I listened to those new tracks on my phone. Synced without a problem.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

all-Rush mixtape posted:

So, uh, is play count broken on 12.7?

No

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Apple Music play counts and last played dates don’t seem to transfer immediately or reliably from iOS, but I can’t determine a consistent rule for when it works or doesn't.

More frustrating, it looks like iTunes is treating purchased tracks as “newly added” if you buy an Apple Music file that’s in your library (play counts carry over). I guess it’s an edge case, since few people buy once they start streaming, but it sucks to have a bunch of vetted music filter back into my “new music” playlists.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

anyone else unable to create radio stations on 12.7 for mac?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

itunes 12.7

Where the hell did my PDFs go? I had some that I could load up as documents, previously loaded in like the ibooks section or something. I can't find them anywhere now.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Also, what in the flying gently caress, they removed the app store browsing from the desktop itunes app? Why, just why? They removed two features I loved.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

pmchem posted:

Also, what in the flying gently caress, they removed the app store browsing from the desktop itunes app? Why, just why? They removed two features I loved.
What's even better is that if you'd downloaded apps to your computer they don't get removed even though they're (presumably) useless now. Get rid of your Mobile Apps directory and reclaim potentially gigabytes of space.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

pmchem posted:

itunes 12.7

Where the hell did my PDFs go? I had some that I could load up as documents, previously loaded in like the ibooks section or something. I can't find them anywhere now.

pmchem posted:

They removed book and app management in a desperate bid to make iTunes less slow and bloated. It's a pretty terrible decision in my opinion, but I'm probably in the minority.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are iBooks epubs just straight up done for Windows users now?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

pmchem posted:

itunes 12.7

hahahaha i didn't know itunes was a pdf reader as well, that's brilliant

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

IUG posted:

I haven't had a playcount problem either. I would have noticed, since I have a playlist of "new" music, and if the playcount didn't go up, I'd be listening to the same songs again today. I'll have to check the songs I listened to last night on iTunes itself, but I listened to those new tracks on my phone. Synced without a problem.

Ah, I was listening on my computer. iPhone works fine - it's the iTunes on my Windows 7 computer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Generic Monk posted:

hahahaha i didn't know itunes was a pdf reader as well, that's brilliant
I think it just opened whatever your default PDF reader was. That's what it did on Windows, anyway.

ufarn posted:

Are iBooks epubs just straight up done for Windows users now?
You can add stuff to the iBooks app on your device by opening your device in iTunes and going to the "Books" section under "On My Device", then just dragging and dropping stuff in there.

You can't add names or author info or whatever this way, though.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

iTunes 12.7
Why the hell can't I resize this window? It's no longer giving me resize arrows when I hover over horizontal bar/lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Can't help, but how did you get that view? I can't find how to get into column browser mode.