Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This is the best curb scene IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhk5N32Tec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

American Dad was really awful when it first came out. After three or four seasons it actually became watchable and had the occasional great episode once they gave up on the failed neocon burns and let the characters develop more depth. Also Roger, he's great. I haven't watched in a few seasons though, so I have no idea where it is now.

I'd argue The Simpsons was pretty bad for their first 2 seasons, and didn't hit their stride until mid season 3 when Homer at the Bat came out. Season 4 and on was peak TV until about season 10. The first 2 seasons had weird animation and Homer's voice sounded weird as hell.

Anyway, I watched The Orville pilot. It wasn't bad. I'm surprised Fox pitched it as a comedy in commercials because it seems like much more of a drama with lighthearted jokes sprinkled in. The show seems to be half in a spot of being a parody Star Trek or a knock off Star Trek. I feel like they should commit to one or the other.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Laptop arrived but they didn't include the power cord.

There were only two things being shipped in this box and they left out one of them.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The Simpsons started to decline when they wanted to make it like Family Guy

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The first season of the simpsons was weird, but still had some great episodes I remember... from when I was 8? holy poo poo.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
While somewhat crude the early Simpsons still had real jokes with setups and punchlines and plenty of heart that made for watchable shows. They were also treading in pretty new and unknown territory for the time.

The first two seasons of American Dad was just dumb, awful jokes aimed at the right, delivered by one dimensional characters who shouted all their lines.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the first season's tone was completely different, with the episode on Lisa's depression or the one where Homer tries to commit suicide.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Do we like Rick and Morty or are we already post-R&M on this site

Nov 6, 2002

R&M is great, and :lol: at internet nerds who hate episodes written by women.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Eli Wiggum posted:

The Simpsons started to decline when they wanted to make it like Family Guy

it's mike scully's fault

by then they hired sitcom writers and the harvard grads like conan left

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I forgot R&M was on last night. Guess I have something to watch at lunch tomorrow.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Blitz7x posted:

the best thing about rick and morty is people trolling rick and morty fans by saying xavier: renegade angel was better (which it was)

Nov 6, 2002

I wish they would put the Simpsons out of its misery already.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I wish they would put the Simpsons out of its misery already.

It's like people hoping America fixes itself.

You're seventeen years too late to that one folks.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The Simpsons has been on for almost three decades holy moly

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
There are literally two episodes from the first two seasons of American Dad that are worth watching. Season 3 gets better, though uneven. Like, yeah, the Simpsons didn't hit the ground running but a lot of what it became was born from its early seasons. American Dad made a pretty hard pivot in its style of humor hat you can see play out in its production order.

WHOOPS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 18, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Yeah, the first season's tone was completely different, with the episode on Lisa's depression or the one where Homer tries to commit suicide.

I need to find a good repository of Greoning's old Life in Hell stuff. It was mostly before my time and I was too young to appreciate it by the time it ended holy poo poo that was still going until 2012?

Anyway I never actually read a lot of it but every time I've stumbled across something I've been amused.

Nov 6, 2002

When I was a bigger internet nerd last decade I wrote a scribe with about 30 bullet points on how to fix the Simpsons.

:negative:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Alaois posted:

the best thing about rick and morty is people trolling rick and morty fans by saying xavier: renegade angel was better (which it was)

That show sucks but the other one is good

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

it's three decades if you count the tracey ullman shorts

i think it ends in 2 years, and they wanted it to end right as the christmas show in episode one is about to start

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Rick & Morty is great. This season has had some dark moments.

And this is my favorite curb episode/moments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVK_OqyUzk

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I want the Simpsons to keep going because at this point the fact it is still around is fascinating

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Blitz7x posted:

I love Rick & Morty. They make R&M comic books and those are funny as hell.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Like, most of us are probably not cognizant of a time in our life when there were no Simpsons

George Herbert Walker Bush insulted the Simpsons while he was president

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

When I was a bigger internet nerd last decade I wrote a scribe with about 30 bullet points on how to fix the Simpsons.

:negative:

:justpost:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

it's three decades if you count the tracey ullman shorts

i think it ends in 2 years, and they wanted it to end right as the christmas show in episode one is about to start

I think this is either just a fan theory or a way one of the writer's said he'd like to end it.

Nov 6, 2002

WHOOPS posted:

There are literally two episodes from the first two seasons that are worth watching.

A few more than that...

Life on the Fast Lane
Treehouse of Horror
Dancin' Homer
The Way We Was
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Lisa's Substitute
Three Men and a Comic Book

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

That show sucks but the other one is good

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

A few more than that...

Life on the Fast Lane
Treehouse of Horror
Dancin' Homer
The Way We Was
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Lisa's Substitute
Three Men and a Comic Book

I meant American Dad, my fault for not specifying the show.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Dear god I remember how awful the animation was for the Simpsons shorts during the Tracy Ullman Show

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, most of us are probably not cognizant of a time in our life when there were no Simpsons

George Herbert Walker Bush insulted the Simpsons while he was president

when bart simpson was literally satan incarnate

WHOOPS posted:

I think this is either just a fan theory or a way one of the writer's said he'd like to end it.

it was the showrunner

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/How-Simpsons-Should-End-According-Showrunner-67954.html

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Blitz7x posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Rick's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick and Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick's existencial catchphrase "Wubba Lubba Dub Dub," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon's unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Rick and Morty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

I'm dying :laffo:

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Alaois posted:

Everything that PFFFFFR has done owns

Rick and Morty is good, but the fanbase sucks rear end

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've never seen rick and morty but I did see a clip about a robot made only for passing butter having an existential crisis and that was pretty funny I thought

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I like Noob Noob.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've never seen rick and morty but I did see a clip about a robot made only for passing butter having an existential crisis and that was pretty funny I thought

I think it's right up your alley tbh

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

jesus, Al Jean is still the showrunner?

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's a fun show, but the usual suspects take it way to seriously and gatekeep about it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've only watched 2 R&M episodes, and that was when I was dating a married woman over at her trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Eli Wiggum posted:

Dear god I remember how awful the animation was for the Simpsons shorts during the Tracy Ullman Show

Did you ever see the rejected Korean pilot?

• Locked thread