Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

You know a retired 3 star can't afford legal defense on his own bro
Well, he could, but most of his money is tied up in Moscow real estate and he can't access it at the moment...

I mean, it's not entirely untrue. If we actually wanted to hit the best GHG reduction targets, that would involve retarding the growth and development of China and India (among others) to the level at which we can install renewables, and spoiler alert, no one is going to go for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Well, he could, but most of his money is tied up in Moscow real estate and he can't access it at the moment...

I mean, it's not entirely untrue. If we actually wanted to hit the best GHG reduction targets, that would involve retarding the growth and development of China and India (among others) to the level at which we can install renewables, and spoiler alert, no one is going to go for that.

India aside, isn't China starting to whiplash its energy generation towards nuclear/hydro/wind/solar like crazy? Like 10-20 years ago they were huge coal users fueling their growth but through the magic of a centralized command economy they have basically swung hard toward renewables since they want to outpace the likes of Siemens and GE in getting into that supplier market? As in that industrial output being one of the things we were hoping to set up the TPP as a hedge against? I keep seeing references to nuclear generation going up all over the country and they've been touting huge hydro projects for years. Might all be potemkin stuff but I'd bet on it being a move to replace western suppliers with Chinese heavy industry in vulnerable sectors like renewables and other non-fossil generation. Wouldn't be surprising if they started producing fission vessels that used to only be available in (iirc) Japan.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
China is also having a wee bit of a domestic political problem with pollution.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FAUXTON posted:

India aside, isn't China starting to whiplash its energy generation towards nuclear/hydro/wind/solar like crazy? Like 10-20 years ago they were huge coal users fueling their growth but through the magic of a centralized command economy they have basically swung hard toward renewables since they want to outpace the likes of Siemens and GE in getting into that supplier market? As in that industrial output being one of the things we were hoping to set up the TPP as a hedge against? I keep seeing references to nuclear generation going up all over the country and they've been touting huge hydro projects for years. Might all be potemkin stuff but I'd bet on it being a move to replace western suppliers with Chinese heavy industry in vulnerable sectors like renewables and other non-fossil generation. Wouldn't be surprising if they started producing fission vessels that used to only be available in (iirc) Japan.

They (China) said they're gonna stop allowing new gasoline vehicles in 2024 or something, and Europe is getting heavy into electric cars. The USA can at least attempt and fund green efforts instead of just throwing their hands up and saying well if we can do it 100% let's not do anything at all

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I am eager to see the fruit of Chinese precision manufacturing and quality control when applied to nuclear reactors.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vengarr posted:

I am eager to see the fruit of Chinese precision manufacturing and quality control when applied to nuclear reactors.

China's at least capable of building to 1970s US standards. And they make a lot of our precision electronics so o wouldn't be so quick to discount them.

Never underestimate a rival.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

China's at least capable of building to 1970s US standards. And they make a lot of our precision electronics so o wouldn't be so quick to discount them.

Never underestimate a rival.

People like to piss on the Chinese and bring up Chinese quality, but then I remind them that the Japanese got the same treatment and they are now considered parallel to the Germans for mechanical and electrical precision.

That and as you said, China manufactures a LOT of precision engineering equipment.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Also if Chinese (civilian) aviation is any indicator they'll bring in foreign contractors with experience if there's a specialized need.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

People hire the Chinese to manufacture cheap poo poo for cheap. That doesn't mean they don't also manufacture high quality stuff for cheap.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
They're capable of making precision equipment if you have your QC guy there every single day. As soon as he leaves, Chabuduo takes over his shift.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just because they can do it right, doesn't mean they do.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ABC News posted:

President Donald Trump says he is considering having an armed forces parade in Washington on the Fourth of July to showcase the nation's military might.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/latest-trump-calls-reform-49929142

Because nothing says stability like a parade of tanks.

Never mind the waste of time and money.

(Granted, I still can't figure out why the Navy thinks it needs a Balloon team.)

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ya know just in case anyone forgot how powerful the US military is :rolleyes:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

(Granted, I still can't figure out why the Navy thinks it needs a Balloon team.)

...So... this is the Orange Juche we've been promised?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I cannot imagine that those roads will handle some tanks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I cannot imagine that those roads will handle some tanks.
OBAMAS MADE DC IS FULL OF POTHOLES! SAD!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Ya know just in case anyone forgot how powerful the US military is :rolleyes:

Apparently there are some domestic agitators who need reminding!!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Maybe, but at a fundamental level, I can't see the party chiefs who own the coal mines and fossil fuel distribution and power plants just quietly taking a smaller slice of the pie.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Lol he's been made to sit through endless intel briefings on North Korea and the only thing he's got out of then is jealousy for the sweet parades and worship of the leader

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Don't look now but John McCain may have been given the green light by Arizona's governor to say Yes to his buddy Lindsey Graham's Obamacare repeal.

It would be just in time to get something pass under the 9/30 reconciliation rules too but still needs to pass the parliamentarian's muster (but probably will) and McConnell will want a rock-solid 50 votes before proceeding. Look for any motion to consider debate on it a very, very, very bad sign.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Thwomp posted:

Don't look now but John McCain may have been given the green light by Arizona's governor to say Yes to his buddy Lindsey Graham's Obamacare repeal.

It would be just in time to get something pass under the 9/30 reconciliation rules too but still needs to pass the parliamentarian's muster (but probably will) and McConnell will want a rock-solid 50 votes before proceeding. Look for any motion to consider debate on it a very, very, very bad sign.

Jesus Christ on a cracker don't these guys give up?!

"Senator McConnell, now that you've repelled Obamacare, what is the GOPs next legislative plan?"

"We're gonna repeal Obamacare!"

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

BigDave posted:

Jesus Christ on a cracker don't these guys give up?!

"Senator McConnell, now that you've repelled Obamacare, what is the GOPs next legislative plan?"

"We're gonna repeal Obamacare!"

I fully expect "Repeal Obamacare" to be carved on McConnell's tombstone.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The best part is that between scheduling issues and quirks, they can hold a vote on Graham-Cassidy with a grand total of 90 seconds of debate.

CBO has already said all they can do is a quick recap, not a full review and score.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like that at this point the GOP has distilled down killing poors and olds to a frighteningly efficient level. If only they could use this power for good, but you don't get elected for improving Obamacare.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
In the meantime, please work out, but do not stick your dick into the barbell weights.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/tanyachen/do-you-even-dicklift-bro

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
is it too late to make a pumping iron joke

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I like that at this point the GOP has distilled down killing poors and olds to a frighteningly efficient level. If only they could use this power for good, but you don't get elected for improving Obamacare.

Uhh killing poors and olds who voted wrong. Texas gets an 8 billion dollar funding increase under this bill.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe, but at a fundamental level, I can't see the party chiefs who own the coal mines and fossil fuel distribution and power plants just quietly taking a smaller slice of the pie.

it is weirder than that

first take some good old fashion chinese know how and ripping specs off from other places while not fully understanding technology

there is a good bit of that

then take some good ol maoism that if the metric is high it really doesn't matter if it is useful or good

So they build a lot of green energy, and if these don't break down or catch fire, then they are producing energy in certain provinces

but energy from coal plants come first by design so the other energy being generated goes to waste

the excess green energy has poo poo storage and doesn't cross over provincial lines well since that is a foreign concept in a world where provinces actively compete against each other

this starts to make green energy less green to not green

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/elnacionalcatEN/status/909851692891549700

uhhhh anyone versed in EU poo poo: Is Spain suppressing a Catalonia independence movement or something? I've seen stuff talking about something like that over the last few years, but I didn't think it much to worry about, more like when England trying to push Scotland around when they had their referendum. This seems a bit more serious, and errr Francoist

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

also this makes the paris accords even more laughable since china could just build a bunch of windmills, not hook them up, but still tout how much green energy they are producing just to look better than other nations

which is kinda what is happening

also there is no punishment in the paris accords so welp

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Third World Reggin posted:

also this makes the paris accords even more laughable since china could just build a bunch of windmills, not hook them up, but still tout how much green energy they are producing just to look better than other nations

Meh, they are shifting heavily away from coal and into nuclear, solar, and wind, and its actually having a huge impact on their relationship with North Korea, who depend on coal sales to mainland China for income.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/elnacionalcatEN/status/909851692891549700

uhhhh anyone versed in EU poo poo: Is Spain suppressing a Catalonia independence movement or something? I've seen stuff talking about something like that over the last few years, but I didn't think it much to worry about, more like when England trying to push Scotland around when they had their referendum. This seems a bit more serious, and errr Francoist

They've been pushing for an independence vote in recent weeks that the Spanish government has declared unconstitutional. This is just some posturing.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

Basically. My instinct, based on how such things have played out in the past is that, even if a miracle occurs and they produce a bunch of green power plants and hook them up to the grid, the Chinese government will still pay to operate their coal plants because the Chairman's second cousin's husband controls the power monopoly.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

tastefully arranged labia posted:

They've been pushing for an independence vote in recent weeks that the Spanish government has declared unconstitutional. This is just some posturing.

It's heating up quite abit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/16/catalonia-collision-course-with-spain-independence-vote

Madrid government shut down the website of the refferendum and are threatning to take over control of catalonias accounts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41284764

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Torch More Cop Cars
https://twitter.com/PDPJ/status/909643709695881216

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Meh, they are shifting heavily away from coal and into nuclear, solar, and wind, and its actually having a huge impact on their relationship with North Korea, who depend on coal sales to mainland China for income.

any agreement that is gonna punish north korea with chinas consent will probably not punish north korea as china will find a way around it

they have two main reasons to not punish north korea

they gain face when north korea fires a missile and the US has to ask china for help
an unstable neighbor is not good

so expect a lot of smuggling, laundering, and also a product shift to iron or clothing, which is happening

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

At least one cop was caught smashing a window too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Well I am silently loosing my poo poo at work because Maria is a Cat 4.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Boys Club creator serves C&Ds served to alt right sites.

This will surely not go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Good, I hope the protesters get the message.

• Locked thread