Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You guys are all notch, notch, notch but I can’t be the only one that hates the “swipe up from here” bar that’s on seemingly every non-video screen, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You guys are all notch, notch, notch but I can’t be the only one that hates the “swipe up from here” bar that’s on seemingly every non-video screen, right?

I literally don't give a poo poo about the notch and think it looks fine. The home swipe/bar is what completely turned me off from the X.

So to answer your question, no, you aren't the only one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man I gotta say it seems the iPhone x uses the jailbreak tweak zephyr (gestures like swipe up for close) and man gently caress I'm jealous. Literally only thing I want the X for.

Jailbreaking is dying more and more especially as the features become iOS standard but might finally be time to ditch the hope for a 10.2 iPhone 7 jailbreaking or whatever, and just go iOS 11

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I guess it's smaller than the home button and software can still draw under it and hide it, so it's better than a bezel you can't draw on or interact with ...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't mind the swipe bar. I like the idea of a buttonless slab, now apple just needs to figure out how to get rid of all the buttons, use wireless charging only, and no cable inputs either.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

I don't mind the swipe bar. I like the idea of a buttonless slab, now apple just needs to figure out how to get rid of all the buttons, use wireless charging only, and no cable inputs either.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It totally looks like something that will be changed in iOS 12. I really hope we can get an option to disable it. I don’t need a white line on my screen to know that swipe up means to go to the home screen.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

One of my questions is, what if the screen/home bar isn't responsive when an app freezes? Whenever Safari has locked up on me the home button was a nice reset option to get out of the lockup. I'm guessing the home bar is similarly triggered but it's been on my mind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

[quote="“xzzy”" post="“476522908”"]
I don’t mind the swipe bar. I like the idea of a buttonless slab, now apple just needs to figure out how to get rid of all the buttons, use wireless charging only, and no cable inputs either.
[/quote]

This is unironically the future I want to live in. Death to cables.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The home button wasn't a hardware interrupt since it stopped being an actual button and requires a driver to function at all, if the kernel is running your swipe up to go home will work even if your usermode is fuxked, if the OS has poo poo the bed you will want to use side button + volume down, which does send a hardware interrupt and works separately from the operating system, and it'll reboot the phone ...

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 18, 2017

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
So is the latest version of iOS 11 I have from the beta identical to what we are getting tomorrow? My 6S is running pretty slow and janky compared to iOS 10.

Happy I am getting a new phone in 4 days.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

So is the latest version of iOS 11 I have from the beta identical to what we are getting tomorrow?

yes

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just want that sweet Apple Pay on iMessage feature.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Over There posted:

I just want that sweet Apple Pay on iMessage feature.
That’s not coming until later in the Fall.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

It’s literally not. It’s progress and it’s also par for the course a bunch of people piss and moan about progress.

TouchID is dead. Let it go.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

That’s not coming until later in the Fall.

I know but I'm still excited for it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Theophany posted:

It’s literally not. It’s progress and it’s also par for the course a bunch of people piss and moan about progress.

TouchID is dead. Let it go.

No buttons at all? Is it gonna have wii motion controls? "Shake to unlock!"

Wirelesss charging only? Whydontwehaveboth.jpg this isn't 2030, there isn't a wireless charger everywhere we go. You gonna always have one with?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Raise to wake already exists, is cool, and could easily be expanded upon.

quote:

Wirelesss charging only? Whydontwehaveboth.jpg this isn't 2030, there isn't a wireless charger everywhere we go. You gonna always have one with?

You mean like there isn't a lightning cable at every outlet I walk past? How is that even a valid argument?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Shake to unlock, with the shaking charging the phone.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

xzzy posted:

You mean like there isn't a lightning cable at every outlet I walk past? How is that even a valid argument?

Because when I go to a friends house or something there's usually a lighting cable readily available if I really need it. Lugging around a charging pad is a lot different than a cord. Idk just a couple things 🤷🏽‍♀️yeah it's cool but idk about this whole get rid of all cords

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

And then we find out that Apple was behind the Shake Weights creation all along.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476524551”"]
No buttons at all? Is it gonna have wii motion controls? “Shake to unlock!”

Wirelesss charging only? Whydontwehaveboth.jpg this isn’t 2030, there isn’t a wireless charger everywhere we go. You gonna always have one with?
[/quote]

Yes, why is this so difficult to understand? Mechanical items have a higher failure rate. This is Apple for goodness sake, if they could get rid of the power button they would. Hell, Steve Jobs hated the idea of ‘off’ buttons.

Removing TouchID is progress and it may well suck in the first iteration, but this is a company obsessed with moving the dial and you’d be deluded to think that FaceID is a stopgap and that TouchID will return in their flagship products.

Apple’s MO is forcing progress by not giving people the choice of keeping a foot in the door. Sometimes that is poo poo, like with the one port USB C MacBook, but ultimately it encourages progress, like dumping floppy drives, dumping CD drives or pushing the FireWire (lol) or Thunderbolt agenda.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 18, 2017

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I said it before in this thread, but wireless charging only will not happen until we have true ota wireless charging, forcing people to carry around a pad is never going to work.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ouhei posted:

I said it before in this thread, but wireless charging only will not happen until we have true ota wireless charging, forcing people to carry around a pad is never going to work.

ugh what do you mean you don't have a wireless charging pad grandma, UGH. I'm never sleeping over again

Do y'all forget that literal children are running around with these devices. The niche SA market/community, as with all things electronic, doesn't speak for the masses.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Weren't there laptops removing CD drives before the original MacBook Air?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But at the end of the day:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The iPhone 7 (and 8) buttons are fake already. No reason they couldn't do it for the rest.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

The iPhone 7 (and 8) buttons are fake already. No reason they couldn't do it for the rest.

work with me here

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

iOS 12 and iPhone 11 will work entirely off gestures.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Because when I go to a friends house or something there's usually a lighting cable readily available if I really need it. Lugging around a charging pad is a lot different than a cord. Idk just a couple things 🤷🏽‍♀️yeah it's cool but idk about this whole get rid of all cords

In this hypothetical world with only wireless charging your friends would have a wireless charger instead of lightning cables

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh right. I'll wait for it to reach the masses then.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

🙅🏻Not being able to charge your phone and use it in bed cos it’s stuck on some lame rear end pad 🙅🏻‍♂️

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476525089”"]
But at the end of the day:

[/quote]

Because, ironically, having both is a compromise in the long run. This is not difficult to grasp. Free your mind, be the change you want to see, try new things, your failures are your own old man, whatever cliche you feel most comfortable with. :buddy:

Having wireless and wired charging is a total corporate move though. Don’t kill off that :10bux: cable business.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Quantum of Phallus posted:

🙅🏻Not being able to charge your phone and use it in bed cos it’s stuck on some lame rear end pad 🙅🏻‍♂️

Just tape the pad to your phone, idiot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

it's me, i'm the one incessantly asking for cord recommendations cause I throw that poo poo around while it's plugged in

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My gf got me a cool clamp stand thing for Christmas that lets me watch the 6s+ in bed, I usually leave it plugged in. Can’t do that with wireless 🙇🏻‍♀️

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“Quantum of Phallus”" post="“476526378”"]
My gf got me a cool clamp stand thing for Christmas that lets me watch the 6s+ in bed, I usually leave it plugged in. Can’t do that with wireless 🙇🏻‍♀️
[/quote]

Couldn't you put the wireless on the clamp stand?

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Use your bed for sleep. Use your phone as a phone. Use your gently caress to off.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol obv none of you are psychology savvy 🙄I'm taking psych 100 now and you're supposed to use your bed only for sleep fam!! otherwise it builds bad habits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol just lol if you sleep in 2017