Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man, Sunshine the movie just frustrates me. I know it's been mentioned a lot before. Here you have a fantastic sci-fi film, great cast, John Murphy score, fantastic ambience. Seriously people have no idea any of those folks were in that movie and are always surprised at the lineup.

Suddenly things get spooky and mysterious but gently caress it could have gone literally any other direction. Here you have 2/3rds a great movie then suddenly a slasher thriller flick 🙄

Ok that's my Monday rant thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah it does a great job of making the sun the primary villain until freddy krueger shows up.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

To be a fly on that wall when they were compiling a script and storyboarding

"Fantastic stuff here all. Really great. What direction should we go now?"

"Let's just throw in a spooky antagonist from no where and completely change the vibe and direction"

Not sure what's worse. That ending or Battlestar Galactica's 🤔

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

The basic training plague but regular people version?

Pretty much. The cost of public transit really. You get sick once a year and hoooooo boy it sucks. Then you're fine.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
On the other hand, Little Miss Sunshine is an amazing film from start to finish.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat that movie is pretty old now isn't it? Quality flick for sure, was real popular there for a minute. Gramps owns.

-edit 2006

:eyepop:

Also not gonna lie I didn't know how to pronounce Nietzsche prior to that film. Think it also brought to light how hosed the whole children all pageant poo poo is

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 18, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mr. Nice! posted:

On the other hand, Little Miss Sunshine is an amazing film from start to finish.

As is Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just your friendly reminder that it came out in 2004, 40-year-old virgin 2005. Definitely Jim's best role

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

"Let's just throw in a spooky antagonist from no where and completely change the vibe and direction"

Sunshine ended fine, I like to think of it as their own tribute to Event Horizon.

If you want a terrible ending, look no further than Stephen King's The Stand.

loving moved to CO a year ago and I'm just now getting a bed. Had a memory foam king size dropped at work with a platform and for the first time in 13 months I can sleep on something that isn't a futon, cot, giant memory foam bean bag, recliner or floor. Thank gently caress.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Tbh the ending itself is alright all things considered. Not sure about the heat shields on their flying cube though. By that point you've done enough deep thinking to draw some sort of symbolism I guess. Maybe a bit of nihilism.

This deleted scene gave some context but I guess it was too much religion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfBOL-hn2l4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm in the part of Disaster Artist where they shoot "Oh Hi Mark" like in the first teaser trailer. It took three hours, 32 takes, and Wiseau possibly getting a concussion to get seven seconds of usable film. This book is pretty drat funny so far.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I disagree, pinbacker is the logical endpoint of kaneda and searle. But I fully get why it doesn't work for some. Here watch this

https://youtu.be/z_kyu4JhlXI

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I get it's poignant and all, and there's clear interpretations, but just felt like an after thought.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

But then I've always had a soft spot for the whole concept of 'something that will drive men beyond madness' theme in scifi

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

let me tell you about a little movie called Event Horizon. Granted, the spookiness drove them mad. I'm scared to watch that movie as an adult because i'm sure it's actually horrendous. I'll keep my edgy 14-year-old mindset

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Event horizon rules and you should watch the clips they had to cut because its wicked violent.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Event horizon rules

Sam Neill really knocked it out of the park

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Two Finger posted:

Sam Neill really knocked it out of the park

Borodin really went bugfuck insane after he moved to Montana and started digging up dinosaurs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

let me tell you about a little movie called Event Horizon. Granted, the spookiness drove them mad. I'm scared to watch that movie as an adult because i'm sure it's actually horrendous. I'll keep my edgy 14-year-old mindset

It's awesome, watch it again. It actually holds up pretty decent for being 20 years old.

Certainly held up a hell of a lot better than Sphere.

I'm going to sleep like the dead tonight. Bed's set up and Frank's already claimed his corner. It takes up a ton of space in this tiny shitbox apartment. So comfy.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Have a belated check-in from central MD here.

Given all the Goons in the area we should pick a day and meet up for walking around Udvar-Hazy or something.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

orange juche posted:

Hey does anyone have a picture of TheRat's rifle that has the weyland yutani logo? Buddy wants to see it.

Took some fresh ones since I have a different light mount on there now.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I read Shattered, the 3rd party clinton campaign breakdown. Bernie Sanders was portrayed as the poltician who wouldn't die/night of the living dead'ed the clinton campaign team for 14+ months.
20% of it was spent on general election and how Trump was a master of getting attention/FYAD superstar. The one humorous thing in the book was the clinton-camp Trump roleplayer, who really got into his role.
The remaining 80% was all about the infighting/committee think/anthony weiner fuckups/bill clinton the wildcard/and the utter cheapness of the clinton campaign.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i never saw it until a few years ago, and i thought it was good, so it will probably hold up just fine for you

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

event horizon is a legit cool movie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Event Horizon owns

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Event Horizon watched in the theater not knowing anything about it other than 'space movie' was pretty god damned awesome.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
My favorite part remains Laurence Fishburne's deadpan "We're leaving." after they figure out what is going on. It's great to see a horror movie character appraise the situation and just nope the gently caress out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

No we ain't just gonna leave her. I'm gonna withdraw to safe distance and fire attack missiles until I'm satisfied nothing remains of this ship.

Dude knew what was up.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Renting a 2br by yourself is probably not a good idea. I mean, I easily afford it, but it's just so...empty

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm looking forward to getting the gently caress out of this studio apartment.

I mean, the space itself is fine, I don't need more than I have and more square footage just equals more cleaning. I really just want a porch I can smoke on and a real wall/door for the bed space. There's a loving hole in my divider wall with vertical blinds to fill it and it looks dumb as gently caress.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Deathy McDeath posted:

Renting a 2br by yourself is probably not a good idea. I mean, I easily afford it, but it's just so...empty

Mine's my office. Desk, bookshelves, etc.

My biggest concern in finding a new place is garage space. I was really spoiled with my garage in Oklahoma, so I have quite a stockpile of tools and equipment. And two vehicles that I refuse to store outside. Unfortunately smaller houses with bigger garages are tough to find, so buying a house is gonna cost me. :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Godholio posted:

Mine's my office. Desk, bookshelves, etc.

My biggest concern in finding a new place is garage space. I was really spoiled with my garage in Oklahoma, so I have quite a stockpile of tools and equipment. And two vehicles that I refuse to store outside. Unfortunately smaller houses with bigger garages are tough to find, so buying a house is gonna cost me. :(

You could just buy a small house on a decent sized parcel of land and then build a garage/workshop.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

lol @ all these lavish lifestyles 450 square feet whadup

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol @ all these lavish lifestyles 450 square feet whadup

700 square feet in the SF bay area, loving plebeians.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

ElMaligno posted:

Ugh now all of the Bay area goons are going to weigh in

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

To be fair it's by choice. I enjoy amenities such as: parking, no roomate, being able to walk cool poo poo, not living in complete suburbia.

Anyone live/work in the city proper and go completely car-less? I suppose with lyft and such it's a lot more feasible these days

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 19, 2017

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I live in a big 4 bedroom house in a nice area. I don't know how many square feet but it's a bunch, and the lot is like .9 acres. Just me and the wife for now but we're trying to make little Shimazu's to fill the house with.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
1500 sq ft for just me and Monty

It's me the guy with a home way bigger than needed.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

ElMaligno posted:

Look at this East Bay trash bragging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I live in a space maybe 2-3 sqm

• Locked thread