Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

AceOfFlames posted:

Do you think the LACK of any opinions in your online history could be seen as if not more suspicious than having tehj "wrong" viewpoint? I wonder that often myself.

Considering that there are tons of everyday people who don't care very much about politics as a whole, no I don't think anyone would think that's weird.

edit: dog worried about his online history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Deified Data posted:

Uuuuh please don't. Like Trump the man isn't legitimate as a human being in a position of power, but the forces that got him there were, as far as we know and without speculation, 100% business as usual. The EC is strictly meant to give angry whites undue political weight and it did its job admirably.

Like Trump can be corrupt as hell (he is) and be complicit in the Russian hacks (he probably was) but have we ever seen any evidence that his win wasn't legitimate, by our country's own lovely, lovely standard?

The EC isn't "designed" to do anything but make small states sign on at the country's founding, at least as regards apportionment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AceOfFlames posted:

I have the habit of avoiding posting any sort of political opinion on any account that can be traced to my real name (I am quite outspoken politically at my workplace but only because I had the vibe that everyone there pretty much agrees with my opinions which has proven true). Do you think the LACK of any opinions in your online history could be seen as if not more suspicious than having tehj "wrong" viewpoint? I wonder that often myself.

no, in many industries commenting too much on politics is unprofessional (because people with bad politics can be customers too, and it's not in the business's interest to have a strong political view)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NRVNQSR posted:

Is there any reason to think that calls made to a senator's office ever make it to the senator's ears, even in aggregate? Or is it just something people do in order to maintain the illusion that they have some influence over the process?

yes and no respectively

in aggregate

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

NRVNQSR posted:

Is there any reason to think that calls made to a senator's office ever make it to the senator's ears, even in aggregate? Or is it just something people do in order to maintain the illusion that they have some influence over the process?

In aggregate, yes. Phone calls are distinct from emails in that they require effort to produce and aren't easily astroturfed. Representatives will often ask their staff for information on the number of calls they're getting regarding a given bill or issue. They have to worry about people from their constituency calling in, even if the calls are part of a campaign, because the calls still represent enough of a strong viewpoint that they're seen as a proxy for shifted votes.

Congress employs text screening software to identify and ignore form emails. NGOs primarily use these "email your senator" campaigns to collect contact information for other purposes, such as fundraising.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theflyingorc posted:

The EC isn't "designed" to do anything but make small states sign on at the country's founding, at least as regards apportionment.

it was to give slavers undue influence.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NRVNQSR posted:

people who have worked for legislators uniformly say that yes, they do, they track the communications they receive from constituents (pro and anti) and note how out of their way the constituent had to go (handwritten letter > phone call > email) to communicate it as a rough barometer of how their constituents feel and how strongly they feel about it

a wavering legislator who is being pressured by leadership is more likely to vote no if they think that voting yes means they're gone next election

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nah.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

evilweasel posted:

people who have worked for legislators uniformly say that yes, they do, they track the communications they receive from constituents (pro and anti) and note how out of their way the constituent had to go (handwritten letter > phone call > email) to communicate it as a rough barometer of how their constituents feel and how strongly they feel about it

a wavering legislator who is being pressured by leadership is more likely to vote no if they think that voting yes means they're gone next election

Yeah, there's no point in writing a lengthy op-ed to your local congressperson because it's going to end up getting read by a bored intern, but that intern will then sort the letter into one of a number of piles and make a spreadsheet of the contents of those piles to show to the congressperson on a daily or weekly basis.

Few congresspeople can afford to conduct opinion polling, so this is literally the only direct public feedback many congresspeople get on an issue. It does matter.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Groovelord Neato posted:

Not exactly, Virginia was loving gigantic and a part of why the smaller states were bitchy.

Which is coincidentally why they were the most powerful slave state more or less all the way to the CW even though South Carolina was louder, dumber, and more obnoxious.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 18, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

farraday posted:

Deeply racist southerns take on the Sino-Soviet spit?

It is my deep hope that he was talking about football.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

That makes sense - though presumably handwritten letters are risky for potentially urgent issues like this because they might take a few days to get read. Thanks!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

that was the 3/5th compromise, the electoral college was more just a vauge fear of the idea of leaders elected by popular vote i think

the whole system to elect presidents never made an ounce of sense, from the electoral college existing, to the idea that the best vp was the runner-up, to the system for breaking deadlocks in congress. it's literally all terrible. not evil terrible, like "what the gently caress were you idiots thinking did you slap this together while drunk" terrible.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/909903534555926528

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

dunno why I ever put the tally board away

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Creepy looking mother fucker

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

apparently moore's crazy "red and yellow" thing was very vaugely racist as it was from a children's song back when all races needed to have a color, white, red, yellow, black (red is native american, yellow is asian) but the song is about how god loves everyone no matter what their race so it's just sort of grandpa calling people from china orientals type of racism instead of grandpa talking about how people from china are all lazy thieves or whatever the old-timey racist sterotype of the chinese was

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/a-note-on-the-alabama-senate-race-and-an-old-kids-song.html

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Might be shorter to list the female Fox News anchors who haven't been sexually harassed

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

apparently moore's crazy "red and yellow" thing was very vaugely racist as it was from a children's song back when all races needed to have a color, white, red, yellow, black (red is native american, yellow is asian) but the song is about how god loves everyone no matter what their race so it's just sort of grandpa calling people from china orientals type of racism instead of grandpa talking about how people from china are all lazy thieves or whatever the old-timey racist sterotype of the chinese was

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/a-note-on-the-alabama-senate-race-and-an-old-kids-song.html

Yup, heard that song A Lot as a kid

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

evilweasel posted:

the whole system to elect presidents never made an ounce of sense, from the electoral college existing, to the idea that the best vp was the runner-up, to the system for breaking deadlocks in congress. it's literally all terrible. not evil terrible, like "what the gently caress were you idiots thinking did you slap this together while drunk" terrible.
I honestly wonder how much of the nonsensical poo poo in the Constitution can be blamed on a bunch of the drafters screaming "oh my god can we just be loving done with this already?!" after days and days of debate.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

evilweasel posted:

that was the 3/5th compromise, the electoral college was more just a vauge fear of the idea of leaders elected by popular vote i think

The 3/5 compromise was about the appropriation of seats for congress, the electoral college is based on the amount of House and Senate seats. The electoral college gave more influence to slave-owning states in that respect and was another reason for the 3/5 compromise to be ratified.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ventana posted:

edit: dog worried about his online history

You were looking at bitchesinheat.com again, weren't you? Bad dog.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

P sure it was this game

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Might be shorter to list the female Fox News anchors who haven't been sexually harassed

I want to say... what'shername on Fox and Friends?

EDIT: Not sure if she qualifies as an anchor or a co-host.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

That dude just started back at Fox News today after being put on hold for sexual harassment

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TARDISman posted:

I want to say... what'shername on Fox and Friends?

EDIT: Not sure if she qualifies as an anchor or a co-host.

this isn't relevant to anything but i still smile every time i think about the string of chronic fuckups that is fox and friends and how one time the fox and friends host threw an axe and hit a soldier

also the time that the two nitwits on that show had some navy seal on who had written a book about the lost art of manliness or whatever and these two jackasses were so desperate to impress him with their tire changing prowess that they completely hosed up changing a tire in every single way to the point that they practically rocked the car off the jack, and the producers of the show had to just cut away and end the segment after the embarrassing failure that was two grown men who between them could not change a tire on live television

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

That dude just started back at Fox News today after being put on hold for sexual discrimination

"Well, welcome back. I hope you've learn you lesson and we won't have any mo..."

*gets handed paper*

"Well, I hope you have good luck finding a new job."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

logger posted:

The 3/5 compromise was about the appropriation of seats for congress, the electoral college is based on the amount of House and Senate seats. The electoral college gave more influence to slave-owning states in that respect and was another reason for the 3/5 compromise to be ratified.

the 3/5th compromise affected the electoral college as well but given how poorly thought out literally every part of that was, i am reluctant to blame it all on helping the slavers

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Yup, heard that song A Lot as a kid

Yeah I'm 40 and we sang it in our christian preschool.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Teddybear posted:

Isn't this... impossible? Considering the general state of Pennsylvania Avenue and the fact that a military parade would destroy the pavement?

He wants to use the military as a tool to basically have a real show of force like North Korea or the soviet marches of the USSR. To go with his hopes that Congress will be his Duma.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Reik posted:

Here's some good news amidst all the terrible Healthcare news: The creator of Pepe is finally sending out the C&Ds.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/8x8gaa/pepe-the-frogs-creator-lawsuits-dmca-matt-furie-alt-right

Looks like Pepe needs to punch some Nazis

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Crabtree posted:

He wants to use the military as a tool to basically have a real show of force like North Korea or the soviet marches of the USSR. To go with his hopes that Congress will be his Duma.

I think his motives are perfectly transparent and go without saying, I'm more interested in the practicality of it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Teddybear posted:

I think his motives are perfectly transparent and go without saying, I'm more interested in the practicality of it.

You realize you're talking about Trump, right? When the gently caress has he ever cared about practicality, even to the point of does he have the money for it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

evilweasel posted:

A lot of it made more sense in the context of the founders viewing direct and direct representative democracy as an incredibly destabilizing form of government. Which, to their credit, was the consensus of the philosophers they drew upon, and remains true/the consensus today.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Discendo Vox posted:

A lot of it made more sense in the context of the founders viewing direct and direct representative democracy as an incredibly destabilizing form of government. Which, to their credit, was the consensus of the philosophers they drew upon, and remains true/the consensus today.

Yup, it's no coincidence that very few showed up for their attempt a year before, but then showed up the next year after Shays Rebellion.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ice Phisherman posted:

Not non-Christians. Atheists in particular. And I mean atheists as a group. Not as individuals.

Taking this specifically from a story I heard on the Ask an Atheist podcast.

The normal host was lamenting the fact that someone within their community who was competent at her job in (I think) the Tacoma Humanist organization was fired for lying about her lack of a four year degree. She got razzed for it too, but was otherwise competent at her job. She was having a hard time fitting back into the community and talked specifically about there not being some sort of social mechanism for forgiveness. Not on an individual basis, because people have agency and can do that, but as a group. He lamented that she'd hosed up, sure, but that a gently caress up shouldn't drat you forever, at least not for the smaller stuff. She couldn't fit back into the community and eventually left it all together. Competent at her job, lied about her credentials, got caught, got fired and was drummed out of the community as a sort of insult to injury. If this were some sort of Christian community the odds would be much higher of her being able to be accepted back into the group. She'd have to probably do some penance and work, but she'd get forgiveness from the group of a sort which would allow her to work her way back into peoples' good graces.

With Christians the beliefs are many and layered, and while people argue about what this or that passage means, there are beliefs that people can largely agree about.

Atheists have a single unifying thesis. No God. That's it. There are no other substantive claims that atheism makes. Atheism does intersect with humanism, but it's not humanism, though some atheists are humanists, and they do have theses beyond No God.

Edit: I make no substantive claims about anything other than Christianity and Atheism, as I have no other first hand experience with other belief systems, or lack of a belief system I guess.

What is this?

Forgiveness isn't some switch dude. I was raised Catholic, I understand what Confession entails, but all you're talking about is 'trust', the loss of and the regaining of, and that's uniform to individuals and groups. You're getting hung up on atheists because you're erroneously making an assumption that they're unified like a religion, but they're not. Those who are religious have a social circle that atheists do not partake, but it's just as easily replaceable with a loving bridge club.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 19, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
CNN reporting Manafort was wiretapped by the FBI both before and after the election. Details emerging.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 19, 2017

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Some of you need to grow thicker spines about Spicer. What is happening with him is something women and POC have known and seen for ages - douchebag white dudes with connects often don't get their comeuppance. They can publicly stumble and fall, but society will catch them. Enjoy seeing his smug face on TV and knowing he got away with it and will probably be fine, and grow those emotional patience muscles. Be angry, but grow from it.

You'll make more headway concentrating on the people who currently matter politically, rather than trying to be punitive to satisfy your own bloodlust.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 19, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Teddybear posted:

Donald wanted a parade of tanks and poo poo on inauguration day, and the military refused citing the fact that they'd destroy the main roads in DC.

They could probably hold a parade of, like, cargo trucks and humvees but I don't think those are the optics our retarded idiot baby president wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Your Taint posted:

CNN reporting Manafort was wiretapped by the FBI both before and after the election. Details emerging.

I mean, glad to know they're not morons.

• Locked thread