Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

MrAptronym posted:

maybe we just need to get rid of everyone in tech?

so what was the thread title in reference to? i wonder every time i stop by to check up.

That was a researcher who got a grant from Google, turned out some sort of paper that was strangely pro-Google, and acknowledged that they didn't tell their ethics board about any of this.

E: Make that several researchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when the yoga ball lady got rid of the company daycare and wfh when she didn't need it anymore

good times

uh, you forgot the best part, that she then had them build a daycare so *she* could still spend time with her kids, but you live in sacramento cause we let you WFH, tough poo poo, enjoy your 2+ hour train ride each way.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

darthbob88 posted:

Not sure about food stamps, but one Walmart had a food drive to help out its underpaid associates.

E: Also, if you want to talk about absurdly self-pitying budgets, https://twitter.com/ReformedBroker/status/845251220038193152/photo/1

I'm the no-brainer million and a half dollar house
or maybe I'm the 5000/month mortgage and two car loans when I haven't repaid school loans yet
debt debt debt can't get enough of this delicious debt

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

hackbunny posted:

I'm the no-brainer million and a half dollar house
or maybe I'm the 5000/month mortgage and two car loans when I haven't repaid school loans yet
debt debt debt can't get enough of this delicious debt

its why it was fun watchin real housewives of OC with the wife during the 2008 downturn. Basically all those people were in debt to their eyeballs from cars to boats to houses even the drat watches and purses. Real good watching when they had to down size from mansions to condos and return all their poo poo cause they couldn't afford payments no more.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm the idiot feeling average while paying $5,000 a month on a mortgage

specifically just p&i, too. total monthly payment about $7000

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

uh, you forgot the best part, that she then had them build a daycare so *she* could still spend time with her kids, but you live in sacramento cause we let you WFH, tough poo poo, enjoy your 2+ hour train ride each way.

tbf Yahoo was such a known dumpster fire at that point, I don't think anyone would've taken that job without tacit permission to loot as much as possible while the ship sinks to the bottom of... *fast forwards 5 years* ...Verizon reef!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/909532109831835654

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
what is wrong with his chest he's got man boobs but he's skinny i don't get it. there's something off about it, it's not a big thing but just doesn't look right somehow. he shouldn't have cleavage.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MrAptronym posted:

so what was the thread title in reference to? i wonder every time i stop by to check up.

google being extremely lovely to the external researchers it pays

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
he's a skinny-fat nerd :shrug:

A Down Payment With a Catch: You Must Be an Airbnb Host posted:

“If only we had the down payment” may be one of the most frequent complaints among aspiring home buyers in cities across the country.

Yifan Zhang, a 29-year-old entrepreneur who often hears this lament among her friends, has come up with a service that tries to help.

When she bought a townhouse in Seattle with her husband last summer, she knew that the spare bedroom could generate extra income on Airbnb. But when she learned just how much they could collect each month — enough to cover the mortgage, and sometimes more — her entrepreneurial instincts kicked in: Why not front would-be home buyers money for a down payment, and then collect a share of their Airbnb rental income in return?

That was how Loftium, a service in Seattle, came about : It will provide prospective home buyers with up to $50,000 for a down payment, as long as they are willing to continuously list an extra bedroom on Airbnb for one to three years and share most of the income with Loftium over that time.

“It’s for the people who don’t have the parents to help, or the high income to save while paying rent,” said Ms. Zhang, who founded Loftium with Adam Stelle, another entrepreneur, and who has already had about 200 Airbnb guests in her townhouse. “They are just stuck trying to save for a decade or more before they give up.”

Executives at Fannie Mae, the government-controlled mortgage finance giant, also noticed that some young people perceived homeownership as an impossibility, said Jonathan Lawless, vice president of customer solutions at Fannie Mae.

In response, Fannie considered creative ways to make it easier for aspiring homeowners to buy when burdened by student debt. This year, for example, it said it would look more forgivingly on prospective home buyers whose employers or parents were helping pay down their student loans.

“Many renters struggle to generate savings in the current environment of high rental rates and student debts,” Mr. Lawless said. “As opposed to what happened in previous generations, there is almost a fear associated with it because they have this really big debt.”

Loftium expects to appeal to young workers and families who are looking to buy their first home for roughly $600,000 or less. The program is being introduced on a small scale in Seattle, but Loftium said it believed there were about 40 other cities where it could give prospective buyers the boost they needed. It hopes to branch out to four more cities — perhaps Chicago, Denver or Raleigh, N.C. — within a year.

Saving enough money for a down payment has long been one of the biggest obstacles to homeownership. Though consumers generally need to put up at least 20 percent of the purchase price to avoid paying mortgage insurance, first-time buyers put down far less on average — roughly 8.2 percent, or about $18,500 — and borrow roughly $207,000, according to Inside Mortgage Finance, a publisher that tracks the mortgage business.

Using Loftium may allow buyers to borrow less or simply get a foot in the door, but it does require an unwavering commitment. As hosts, they must list their extra room year-round, with only eight “freebie” days reserved for their own use — and dozens of strangers are likely to walk through their door for up to three years.

“A lot of the people who like this idea are already living with roommates or their parents, so this is a better situation for them,” said Ms. Zhang, who, with her husband, lived with roommates in San Francisco before leaving for Seattle. Hosts will have the right to cancel up to three guests per year, should they feel uncomfortable with them for any reason.

Loftium will determine the size of the down payment it is willing to put up using an algorithm that predicts how much income a room can generate.

Generally speaking, the homeowners pay back Loftium through a revenue-sharing agreement — it is not structured as a traditional loan — in which the company collects roughly two-thirds of the monthly income. If the room isn’t booked nearly enough to generate the expected income, that’s Loftium’s problem, not the homeowner’s.

“We are trying to put as little risk on the homeowner as possible,” Ms. Zhang said. “That money up front is yours as long as you abide by the contract.”

Should a baby arrive — or the homeowners want to stop renting the room for any reason before the contract ends — they must pay their share of the nights remaining, plus 15 percent of that amount, within a week, the 16-page contract says.

If the homeowner doesn’t pay what’s owed, Loftium reserves the right to put a second lien against the property, which means the company would be second in line to be paid back (behind the mortgage lender) after the home is sold, refinanced or foreclosed on.

So who is eligible for such an arrangement? Loftium is relying on the mortgage company to vet borrowers’ ability to repay their loans, but it will run its own background checks. Buyers will also need to qualify for a mortgage that meets standards put out by Fannie Mae, which finances nearly a third of all new mortgages in the United States, according to Inside Finance.

To start, buyers using the program in Seattle will be able to apply down payments only to mortgages financed by Umpqua Bank, though Loftium said it eventually intended to work with a broader range of lenders (and rental services beyond Airbnb).

While Fannie hopes to work with Loftium in several more cities, it first needs to ensure that demand is strong enough, homeowners are abiding by their contracts and they are paying their mortgages. Changes in local laws, which could place new restrictions on Airbnb-esque arrangements, might also dim the program’s prospects.

Ms. Zhang’s extra room, which includes a private bathroom, fits just a queen bed and a chair, and is sparsely decorated with art from a thrift shop. The description on Airbnb highlights its convenient location and shows the view of the Seattle skyline from the kitchen.

“We didn’t buy it because of its looks,” Ms. Zhang said of her property. “We were thinking about budget and location.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/18/your-money/mortgages/loftium-airbnb-down-payment.html

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

darthbob88 posted:

That was a researcher who got a grant from Google, turned out some sort of paper that was strangely pro-Google, and acknowledged that they didn't tell their ethics board about any of this.

E: Make that several researchers.

graph posted:

google being extremely lovely to the external researchers it pays
lol, that is golden. perfect reaction to 'forgetting' where your funding comes from. i don't know much about the field, but in my work at least you plaster your funding sources all over any poster, talk or paper you put out. even stuff not open to the public.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

this is the worst.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm the idiot feeling average while paying $5,000 a month on a mortgage

people define average based on their social circle, so if u party with executives and quants you'll feel average
that one weird trick to feeling like a king when you're upper-middle class: move to a 3rd world country, do drugs and buy a harem of sex workers concubines

infernal machines posted:

well we need more women in tech, unfortunately we haven't solved the problem of tech jobs self-selecting for the worst shitlords irrespective of gender

solution: teach women to be shitlords

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

quote:

The alleged attack wasn’t the first incident Al-Ansari recorded, he claims. According to Al-Ansari’s suit, Chahal frequently called black people “n---rs.” Al-Ansari’s lawsuit includes a transcript of a recording Al-Ansari allegedly made of one such exchange.
“We’re diverting into n---r topics,” Chahal is quoted as saying.
“You need to stop,” another man on the recording said, “drop the the n-word.” “I’m not going to stop the n-word. Dude, do you want me to go ahead and say n---r, n---r, n---r?” Chahal asked. The other man said he didn’t like the term. “I don’t give a gently caress. Martin Luther King might not like that, but he’s a n---r, too,” Chahal allegedly said.

holy poo poo this is crazy, read the whole thing

http://www.thedailybeast.com/silicon-valley-ceo-called-employees-the-n-word-and-hit-three-women-new-lawsuit-claims

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

this is the worst.

the future is a tree of rent extraction

oh wait thats just capitalism

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

dude is an awful person and a grifting fraud

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

wow goddamn he manages to make my previous boss look tasteful and dignified by comparison

edit: and i still think my previous boss is a cheat and a scumbag

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh poo poo, I didn't know this was the Lydian coin guy.

Even by ICO standards that promo video made my jaw drop just from sheer "who is ever possibly dumb enough to buy this transparent scam?"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

normal country.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol that fuckin psycho again

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

this is the worst.

i'm trying to do the math on this. it's an up to 3 year contract where you have to rent your room out 357 days a year, and if you have a baby or whatever or just want the room back, you have to pay them "their share of the nights remaining", which is about a third, plus 15% -- so basically you have to buy your own room back from them at 38% of market rate, paying for every night left in the contract.

so, in the worst case -- assuming the loftium people are taking no risk by ensuring that if they give you the maximum of 50 grand and you tell them to gently caress off the next day, their contract still gets that money back -- that's 3 years at about 45 dollars per day. they can't possibly expect to have your room filled 100% of the time, so in order for them to make a profit, the rate must be higher than that. double, perhaps? what is the usual overheard that this sort of business runs?

anyway, whatever rate they set for the room is what you're paying them if you want it back. so this looks to me now like it's a mortgage loan + you have to have weirdos in your house + there's a penalty of 100% or greater for early termination.

burn the fuckers alive :thumbsup:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my old boss said the n word sometimes

one time he called his son n-wordy because he had gotten a neck tattoo

he did not like obama and would drive like a jackass if he saw an obama bumper sticker

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

MrAptronym posted:

google has been funding academic researcher to write papers about why google should not be regulated to hell an back and a bunch of the researchers mysteriously didn't. other to point out they were paid by Google.

the thread title is a direct quote from one of them when he was called on it.

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/884938538164342788

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

he did not like obama and would drive like a jackass if he saw an obama bumper sticker

i don't think I could resist punching him in the face even if he was my boss. i have never not beaten the gently caress out of someone throwing that word around.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

cis autodrag posted:

i don't think I could resist punching him in the face even if he was my boss. i have never not beaten the gently caress out of someone throwing that word around.

watch out, we got a badass over here

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bhodi posted:

what is wrong with his chest he's got man boobs but he's skinny i don't get it. there's something off about it, it's not a big thing but just doesn't look right somehow. he shouldn't have cleavage.

he works out but doesn't eat properly so he's doughy but with weirdly large pecs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

The way Gurbaksh Chahal tells it, he’s living the American dream. Once a poor immigrant living in San Jose’s projects, Chahal struck it rich when he sold his first company for tens of millions of dollars as a teenager and moved into a San Francisco penthouse.

San Jose has projects?

(well i guess it probably had them like 40 years ago?)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did he do this

quote:

Al-Ansari’s lawsuit claims Chahal wanted to further harm the two women he was charged with beating. In October 2016, Chahal described “in sickening detail his wish to go back in time and inflict severe violence on the two women he had been convicted of beating as ‘revenge’ for ‘ruining his life,’” Al-Ansari’s suit claims.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ahaha i just got to this part

quote:

Chahal also allegedly called bankers “Jew n---rs,” blaming them for his failures, particularly for his inability to get more credit from banks. Chahal even lobbed the insult at his small dog when it angered him, Al-Ansari alleges.

calling your dog “Jew n---r” is verbatim 4chan if i've ever seen it because it's both grossly offensive and yet makes absolutely no sense unless those words have become completely divorced of meaning because you use them casually so much

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 19, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Moist von Lipwig posted:

he works out but doesn't eat properly so he's doughy but with weirdly large pecs
he has zero arm or leg definition, does he just do flys and call it a day? how can a billionaire not eat right, doesn't he have someone follow him around and make meals? rich people are weird

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bhodi posted:

he has zero arm or leg definition, does he just do flys and call it a day? how can a billionaire not eat right, doesn't he have someone follow him around and make meals? rich people are weird

maybe he got those pec implants that like migrate and turn all blobby and wind up becoming gross cysts after a while

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
do not google synthol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hooray, Susie Cagle illustrations!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ate all the Oreos posted:

there's this libertarian in the BWM thread that's basically convinced that he's made no mistakes for his entire life and there's a big swath of america that's also made no mistakes and they shouldn't have to pay for other people's mistakes or something

also he's into victim blaming for rape victims which is just super

how is the rear end in a top hat not perma'd for counterrevolutionary thought yet?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

eschaton posted:

how is the rear end in a top hat not perma'd for counterrevolutionary thought yet?

it's BFC, they're not particularly, uh, radical

he does get probed regularly though at least

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bhodi posted:

he used to but he's gotten soft over the past couple of years i think

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

jfc

no but once on a car trip we were tolkien about the bible and i mentioned how i had read it cover to cover as a teen and was thinkin about doin the torah since i was dating a jewish lady at the time and he immediately "just started asking questions" about blood libel nonsense

after that i made it a point to mention it whenever there was a jewish holiday goin on since it made him uncomfortable. which he probably wouldn't've been if he had actually been from new orleans (he's alabamian) since there's been a jewish community accepted there for a longass time and catholics and jews tend to get along due to the historical shared discrimination

but yeah he's a real piece of work and already has one foot in the grave due to visible signs from a lifetime of smoking

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shifty Pony posted:

google has been funding academic researcher to write papers about why google should not be regulated to hell an back and a bunch of the researchers mysteriously didn't. other to point out they were paid by Google.

the thread title is a direct quote from one of them when he was called on it.

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/884938538164342788

weird how these disappear from normal searching

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fishmech posted:

idk idiots like you would poo poo yourselves crying if walmart dared opening their own bank or credit unions because you're huge ol morons

settle down beavis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

I could totally see this

I would totally pay to see this

• Locked thread