Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/status/909860987511164928?p=v

Also, there are currently 90 seconds remaining for debate.

The journalists and pundits mocking Slavitt when he started ringing this bell had better be public with their mea culpas.

E: beaten, but keeping for the new page. The CBO analysis will apparently be focused solely on if it meets reconciliation requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

What about the parliamentarian and byrdbath? That's a separate hurdle right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grammarchist posted:

Yes, neither of which has occurred, but presumably the bill was written knowing the previous rulings to get around them.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Grammarchist posted:

Correct. Given that Graham is involved in this one, I assuming it's been crafted to pass both. The Senate GOP would be happy to dump this back on Ryan's lap, so they're not going let it get bogged down at that step. Unfortunately, Graham likely has the competence to make a bill that conforms to the rules where others have been more open Qs.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
McCain is now against the bill. Again. Reiterating the need for "regular order". He wants weeks of amendments/debates before he considers voting in favor of it.

https://twitter.com/Alexruoff/status/909870994608836609

This ride will never end. We'll see what happens, I guess.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Hey look, someone has faith in the Democrats.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/909882947217608704

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

farraday posted:

iirc part of the blocker for California enacting single payer is, specifically, the need to get the feds to agree to let them spend their medicaid money on it

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

iirc part of the blocker for California enacting single payer is, specifically, the need to get the feds to agree to let them spend their medicaid money on it

Isn't that what the nakedly partisan formula for divvying up the block grants is supposed to do? Well, whatever. I'm all for inane purity tests blocking Republican nightmare legislation.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
lol even if repeal replace dies (again) this time they'll keep bringing it up every month or two until Nov 2018 (and beyond if they keep a healthy margin in the house)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

evilweasel posted:

Rand Paul appears to be trying to make sure C-G never even gets a vote, just need Collins and Murkowski to publicly say they won't vote for it. After that point the rest of the "moderates" will defect, but none of them can be trusted to be the decisive vote.

https://twitter.com/RandPaul/status/909776281847386112

paul will cave

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Typo posted:

lol even if repeal replace dies (again) this time they'll keep bringing it up every month or two until Nov 2018 (and beyond if they keep a healthy margin in the house)

Reconciliation dude.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Reconciliation dude.

yeah it expires for this year in 2 weeks but then 2018

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Typo posted:

if the senate doesn't pass it by september 30th it becomes filibusterable so no

and if you think paul will cave you haven't been paying attention this whole time

Typo posted:

only if they want to give up their chance to cut taxes which seems...out of character

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

farraday posted:

I guess states' rights include the right to stop other states doing something, through their own decision making and within their own borders, that you don't like as a policy matter.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Some Conservative commentators have pointed out that even with less money, the lack of restrictions that shifting medicaid funds to block grants could allow blue states to implement "Medicaid-like" public options a bit easier. I'm guessing Kennedy read something like this piece from Forbes and freaked out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2017/09/17/take-two-inside-bill-cassidys-plan-to-replace-obamacare/

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

evilweasel posted:

Yes, neither of which has occurred, but presumably the bill was written knowing the previous rulings to get around them.

The PP defunding uses the exact same language the parliamentarian wasn't happy with so I don't know about that. Just look at the text of GCHJ and BCRA and search for prohibited entity.

Typo posted:

You understand nothing about our government, hth.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Grammarchist posted:

Some Conservative commentators have pointed out that even with less money, the lack of restrictions that shifting medicaid funds to block grants could allow blue states to implement "Medicaid-like" public options a bit easier. I'm guessing Kennedy read something like this piece from Forbes and freaked out.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2017/09/17/take-two-inside-bill-cassidys-plan-to-replace-obamacare/

my guess is less that he is actually flipping out and more floating some trial balloons for why the senate ultimately didn't vote on it if that's what winds up happening. to be clear i don't think floating those trial balloons means he thinks it won't get a vote (or that it will) but just that it's worth getting them out early in case they're needed.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

evilweasel posted:

if the senate doesn't pass it by september 30th it becomes filibusterable so no

and if you think paul will cave you haven't been paying attention this whole time

only if they want to give up their chance to cut taxes which seems...out of character

Why wouldn't Paul cave? He ended up voting for last round's set of bills, didn't he? I know that he was promised a straight repeal in exchange, but couldn't that happen again?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

MooselanderII posted:

Why wouldn't Paul cave? He ended up voting for last round's set of bills, didn't he? I know that he was promised a straight repeal in exchange, but couldn't that happen again?

Pretty sure he only voted for the Skinny.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

MooselanderII posted:

Specifically, he voted for the 2015 and Skinny repeal amendments while skipping out on the BCRA. His voting has a logic to it, albeit one that is not always very consistent and somewhat self-serving, and the BCRA was its own kind of monster even without the Cruz amendment that the case could be made that voting for it would be counter to the ultimate outcome of a repeal, fucky though it is in reality. It's also somewhat different this time, as he was up front and center with the 'Obamacare lite' like he was with the original AHCA, and has utilized that by loudly arguing in the Senate about the havoc Graham-Cassidy inflicts on the markets and utilizing the Republicans' state media in such a way as to propagate the narrative to an audience more critical to bringing about failure.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Pretty sure he only voted for the Skinny.

Well that would throw a wrench into the above, though I still think he benefits from taking his current course of action in earnest.

Grammarchist posted:

He did get on board with Skinny Repeal on the understanding that it could be changed in conference, but after Sept. 30, the house would have to pass whatever goes through the Senate without changes. So it's less likely that he'll risk that given his apparent stance. That's my understanding anyway.

And I think this might be sound, though I have no idea why he would have relied on the House to make any adjustments.

ded redd fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 19, 2017

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

MooselanderII posted:

Paul voted for the motion to proceed, but against BCRA. It's a concern I share, but Paul got to sign his name on a clean repeal back in July so theoretically he could rest on his self-righteous laurels and keep railing against the ACA and the various -lites put forward by lesser men then he. That seems to be his comfort zone.

He did get on board with Skinny Repeal on the understanding that it could be changed in conference, but after Sept. 30, the house would have to pass whatever goes through the Senate without changes. So it's less likely that he'll risk that given his apparent stance. That's my understanding anyway.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MooselanderII posted:

paul has studiously found reasons to oppose every single proposal except 2016 repeal (which he knew would not pass) and skinny repeal (which he couldn't really find an excuse not to vote for but he seems to have tried). when ryan wanted to do repeal first, then replace, paul insisted on doing them at the same time. once that became a thing, he was in favor of doing repeal, then replace. mcconnell reportedly wrote him off months before the failure of skinny repeal

he doesn't want to vote for a repeal bill, and he has the conservative credibility to claim he's doing it because it's not pure. why he doesn't want to vote for any repeal bill is probably the knowledge that whatever the result is, it's going to be bad so better to have opposed it claiming that it wasn't ~conservative enough~ and that's why all those bad things are happening (or, even better, have it fail and have none of those bad things happen so republicans have a better chance to stay in power)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

So much for the idea that the Senate will be too busy with other stuff to vote healthcare again.

I hear contradictory news on McCain's stance, but I guess the latest news is that he probably supports the new repeal? This doesn't align with his impassioned plea for transparency and bipartisan process this summer, given the CBO won't even have full analysis until next month and the general public doesn't know about this yet.

The other No votes have been quiet. No promising rejection of this really. Rand Paul is just posturing, that's a no brainer IMO.

One can only hope people get hosed hard enough by this madness in the future that they wake up. In the meantime I'll call some numbers...

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I called Rand Paul's office and told him that I supported his stance.

Now I just have to take 10 showers.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I hear contradictory news on McCain's stance, but I guess the latest news is that he probably supports the new repeal? This doesn't align with his impassioned plea for transparency and bipartisan process this summer, given the CBO won't even have full analysis until next month and the general public doesn't know about this yet.

It hasn't been that straightforward. He took that stance earlier today, yes, with the "I'd prefer a bipartisan, but..." line. It was later that he came out against the bill, citing the need to go through normal procedures while emphasizing the 'process'. If he's asking for a rewrite, that's effectively taking a bludgeon to the bill in this particular instance.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The other No votes have been quiet. No promising rejection of this really. Rand Paul is just posturing, that's a no brainer IMO.

He's posturing in his own, more conservative than thou way, certainly, but there's some legitimate effort going into this time that diverges from his behavior on previous bills.

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

In the meantime I'll call some numbers...

It's appreciated, regardless.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The Democratic Senate Leadership appears to have conceded some "state flexibility" to close that bipartisan deal that was sidelined by Graham-Cassidy. This could give Collins, Murkowski, and possibly McCain an opening to flip to solid no on the latter, as they've all touted these talks as productive. Downside is that GOP-led states will have a lot more tools at their disposal to kill poor people. The upside is that it gives Murkowski something she wants (state flexibility) without everything she doesn't (everything else).

I guess we'll see if it works. This was the deal Schumer told Trump he could "call whatever he wants" for reference, so there's a small chance Trump embraces this as a win if it gets off the ground and gives the GOP cover to call repeal done outright, apart from the hardliners.

https://www.axios.com/murray-makes-big-concession-in-bipartisan-health-talks-2486922713.html

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Grammarchist posted:

The Democratic Senate Leadership appears to have conceded some "state flexibility" to close that bipartisan deal that was sidelined by Graham-Cassidy. This could give Collins, Murkowski, and possibly McCain an opening to flip to solid no on the latter, as they've all touted these talks as productive. Downside is that GOP-led states will have a lot more tools at their disposal to kill poor people. The upside is that it gives Murkowski something she wants (state flexibility) without everything she doesn't (everything else).

I guess we'll see if it works. This was the deal Schumer told Trump he could "call whatever he wants" for reference, so there's a small chance Trump embraces this as a win if it gets off the ground and gives the GOP cover to call repeal done outright, apart from the hardliners.

https://www.axios.com/murray-makes-big-concession-in-bipartisan-health-talks-2486922713.html

I... really don't know how to feel about this. And I mean that in all sincerity, because I am exhausting myself on this debacle all by itself.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Office Pig posted:

I... really don't know how to feel about this. And I mean that in all sincerity, because I am exhausting myself on this debacle all by itself.

I mean, Medicaid is essentially state waivers, so we have to see what the Dems will get in return.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Grammarchist posted:

Won't work. The reason why should be fairly obvious: it'll need votes from Democratic senators to pass (since Paul/Cruz/Lee/Johnson would all be firm no votes) and nobody from the GOP is going to be caught dead working with the Dems.

What Trump wants or what he can call a win is irrelevant since he's already burned all his goodwill with the GOP legislators. They don't trust him and they certainly aren't loyal to him.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
I look forward to not voting for Patty Murray in 2022 as she has been absolute poo poo. While I'm waiting I'll have to settle for not voting for Cantwell next year, as she is also garbage.

I sent them both a stern email regarding their failure to back M4A. Of course they don't give a poo poo but I'll do my part to make sure they return to the private sector ASAFP. Neither has any business representing the people of Washington.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Spiritus Nox posted:

gently caress I can't do this again

JFC a thousand times this. I have gained approximately seventeen years of anger and cynicism in the not-quite-eight months since Trump took office.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I feel like we're in a horror movie and just waiting for sunrise when all the zombies/vampires/etc go away but now we just heard there's going to be an all-day eclipse.

We just need to make it to October 1st...just 11 more days...

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

axeil posted:

I feel like we're in a horror movie and just waiting for sunrise when all the zombies/vampires/etc go away but now we just heard there's going to be an all-day eclipse.

We just need to make it to October 1st...just 11 more days...

Funny how these slapdash repeal bills have zero grassroots support and receive 1000:1 constituent calls against yet they keep trying anyway. It was made pretty drat clear during the last two attempts that nobody wants this poo poo.

It really exposes who their constituents actually are.

https://twitter.com/elongreen/status/910112370931961856

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/jbendery/status/910142039286796293

FWIW, doesn't sound like Murkowski has much pressure on her from back home.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Funny how these slapdash repeal bills have zero grassroots support and receive 1000:1 constituent calls against yet they keep trying anyway. It was made pretty drat clear during the last two attempts that nobody wants this poo poo.

Republican voters still want this poo poo. Even if they are on Medicaid/Obamacare. Lunacy.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BarbarianElephant posted:

Republican voters still want this poo poo. Even if they are on Medicaid/Obamacare. Lunacy.

actually, they don't, which is why these bills all have like 20% approval ratings

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

This isn't really true:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.8d66a2b8f9d0

There is a large minority of Republican support but it's still not even half of Republicans who support this poo poo (this for for the AHCA, I assume polling for G-C will be similar).

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Not really. The urgency to "repeal Obamacare" over the past seven years among the base was really just about "repealing" Obama himself. Now that he's no longer in office and his racist right-wing inverse is finally in charge they aren't as keen about cutting their own nose off to spite their face.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Collins is probably a no

https://twitter.com/mj_lee/status/910189261873405953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

No surprise, but good to get it on the record. Just need Murkowski to take a stance.