Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how does that actually happen. Wouldnt it just short out and smoke some if it was a dust/heat issue?
Is that stuff particularly flammable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That picture was from some poor schmuck coming back to his house after hurricane irma. because of course they left their rig running during a loving hurricane evacuation.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

how does that actually happen. Wouldnt it just short out and smoke some if it was a dust/heat issue?
Is that stuff particularly flammable?

It's important to remember that milk crate mining rigs like that one rarely have adequate cooling. And yes you can totally ignite a video card

:bitcoin:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
All GPUs and CPUs made for like the past decade or more thermal throttle when they get too hot and there's no way an open rig like that would overheat just sitting there unless some fans malfunctioned (in which case it would throttle). I'm sure there was something else at play there than just heat.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Could have something to do with the 3rd party unsigned drivers and firmware patches that many miners use

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Im sure the dodgiest thing there were the risers which is a key point to start a fire that exists outside of the very good PSU and GPU shutdown protections

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Ah yeah the SATA to molex power adapters included with the risers are really sketchy since you're hitting the very edge of the SATA power spec and these are dirt cheap Chinese parts, that would be a likely culprit.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Lightning strike from the hurricane might've caused some damage too.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Hopefully he rented and has $13 a month renters insurance that will cover everything there at full current market value ;)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Declining flood coverage saved me 2 dollars a month!

I actually basically had that happen to me and it's only my fault so I feel okay about it. I turned down some sort of optional coverage for only a couple dollars a month and then not even 6 months after I turned it off it would have paid out a couple thousand in repairs. Oops.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

Hopefully he rented and has $13 a month renters insurance that will cover everything there at full current market value ;)

we're talking about someone dumb enough to build a whole mining rig so probably not smart enough to spring for renter's insurance, no

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

we're talking about someone dumb enough to build a whole mining rig so probably not smart enough to spring for renter's insurance, no

Unfortunately ita typically required

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Renter's insurance? Not anywhere that I've lived

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

1gnoirents posted:

Unfortunately ita typically required

I've rented four apartments and a house. Two of the apartments vaguely mentioned that renter's insurance was a thing but didn't require it. One of them required it in the lease but it was never mentioned. The homeowners asked if we had insurance about two years in to it.

I've had renter's insurance since I first discovered it was a thing because with the multi-line discount it's basically free and I'm not an idiot, but it definitely is not required.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

wolrah posted:

I've rented four apartments and a house. Two of the apartments vaguely mentioned that renter's insurance was a thing but didn't require it. One of them required it in the lease but it was never mentioned. The homeowners asked if we had insurance about two years in to it.

I've had renter's insurance since I first discovered it was a thing because with the multi-line discount it's basically free and I'm not an idiot, but it definitely is not required.

I've had the opposite experience, in my fourth rental and they've all required it as a condition to rent at all. I will be evicted if I can't provide proof and if the policy lapses before the lease (which always happens) I have to immediately provide proof of renewal. This ranges from poor people places to less poor people places (~$600 to $2000 per month) ive seen zero leniency on this. Though we can both agree its so cheap and covers so much you'd be dumb not too, its almost a perk of renting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In all the apartments it literally saved me money, the multi-line discount on my car insurance with State Farm was more than the renter's insurance policy cost. From what I've heard that's pretty common. In the house it ends up costing me something like $50 a year net. Obviously that's a bargain compared to the value of my stuff and what I could potentially be liable for if I gently caress up the house.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why would an apartment owner require tenants to have renter's insurance? Does a renter's policy compensate the owner somehow? I thought that a renter's policy only covered things owned by the renter

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

Why would an apartment owner require tenants to have renter's insurance? Does a renter's policy compensate the owner somehow? I thought that a renter's policy only covered things owned by the renter

That is a good point, I have no idea. I checked earlier to see if it was actually law where I am (it is not ,based on the wording) but they do mention pretty much all sides of this in one simple paragraph.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb043.html

quote:

If you live in a rented house or apartment, you'll need renters insurance to protect your personal property. Renters insurance pays to repair or replace your clothes, furniture, electronic and other property if they’re stolen or damaged. Renters insurance won't pay to fix the house or apartment building if it's damaged. The building owner's insurance policy covers that.

Some landlords might require you to buy renters insurance as a condition of your lease.

It even expressly states how it doesn't cover the owner's stuff, yet it is often a condition of a lease (here anyway, it is a given). I bet its something like their insurance goes down if they require their tenants to have their own insurance as well ? I'm not sure how that really works out since neither policy actually overlap.

But luckily, it is insanely cheap (which could only mean its hardly used, another strange piece of the puzzle), and a primary form of insurance as well. I've had to use it for lightning damage and they simply gave me money after providing proof of purchase as opposed to some kind of reimbursement hassle. Its about the only insurance I've ever been happy to pay for in fact.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's a good point, if you're an insurance company you'd probably come out ahead by offering a discount if the apartment owner requires tenants to get renter's insurance

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

That's a good point, if you're an insurance company you'd probably come out ahead by offering a discount if the apartment owner requires tenants to get renter's insurance

I imagine that's just "good business" but honestly there are so many companies it seems like a lot of luck. However, I bet bottom line if you average enough tenants out you (as the company) will probably come out ahead big picture wise

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just got my $250 newegg giftcard from coincards.ca

Not bad for wasting some power over a couple of months.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Stanley Pain posted:

Just got my $250 newegg giftcard from coincards.ca

Not bad for wasting some power over a couple of months.

Turn power into :snoop:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Risky Bisquick posted:

Turn power into :snoop:

Please do not exchange bitcoins for tiny men. Slavery is wrong, no matter how tiny.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

1gnoirents posted:

That is a good point, I have no idea. I checked earlier to see if it was actually law where I am (it is not ,based on the wording) but they do mention pretty much all sides of this in one simple paragraph.

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb043.html

It even expressly states how it doesn't cover the owner's stuff, yet it is often a condition of a lease (here anyway, it is a given). I bet its something like their insurance goes down if they require their tenants to have their own insurance as well ? I'm not sure how that really works out since neither policy actually overlap.

This must vary state by state, because my renter's policy includes $100k in liability coverage on top of covering my possessions. As it was explained to me the landlord's insurance is supposed to cover the structure and property itself and that liability coverage is for unusual situations. I'll check my policy if I think about it when I get home and look for the specifics.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Here we go again! Back up to 4k! Where's that gif. At least 1060 6gbs got back to £200 on ebay for a bit.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

QuarkJets posted:

AFAIK it's more about property damage and injury liability than it is the items the renter owns. Insulating the tenants from the other tenants fuckups.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Here's to another $250 newegg giftcard :woop:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The season is finally changing. Can I completely eliminate having to heat the room with this electric heater? I think I can! Now it'll be totally free to mine even at lower valued coinage. It's going up anyway tho lol.

Come to actually think about the relative wattages, of course it's enough!

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 19, 2017

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Jago posted:

The season is finally changing. Can I completely eliminate having to heat the room with this electric heater? I think I can! Now it'll be totally free to mine even at lower valued coinage. It's going up anyway tho lol.

Come to actually think about the relative wattages, of course it's enough!

Bitcoin mining does have a history of being of effective at heating.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I always figured the room warming thing was more or less a joke for us filthy casuals but I do notice my room is a few degrees warmer everyday I come home and that will seriously be nice waking up to that here pretty soon. Man the gift that keeps on giving

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

One of my rooms has 3 GPUs in it and there's a pretty substantial temperature increase, I can't imagine what a room with 50+ GPUs in it feels like.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I used to work at an office with a dual Tesla machine, it ran pretty much 24/7 and any day it was off it was notably colder in the room it shared. Only like 600 watts, but that's like a small space heater and usually you're not running a space heater 24/7.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MaxxBot posted:

One of my rooms has 3 GPUs in it and there's a pretty substantial temperature increase, I can't imagine what a room with 50+ GPUs in it feels like.

It's like walking on sunshine. And don't it feel good.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Don't forget the strawberries.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I am trying to acquire another 1080 because :shrug:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

Nicehash numbers back to not being total poo poo, gonna get guac tomorrow!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

MaxxBot posted:

Like heatstroke and brain damage apparently!

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What are 980tis like in nicehash? Vs say 1060s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they use a lot more power and make more heat