Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Another vintage Star Wars collector, nice! I know I'll never have space to display everything which is a little sad.

I never had any intention of building a big collection, just the 15-20 figures I had left over from my childhood and a Han Solo in carbonite I picked up as a teen. Last summer though my mom says this lady came into her church's consignment shop with all her sons old toys and didn't know what anything was worth. They were all filthy and some in better condition than others, but I just bought everything, spent a week cleaning them up then sold a few vehicles on ebay that paid for everything else. There were about 70 figures most with the accessories, Jabba and his throne, the AT-AT and millenium falcon which I bought reprinted decals for. Then once I had all that I had to go and buy some playsets for the ones not in that case on the left. So I picked up a tatooine desert and a very incomplete Ewok Village along with an AT-ST. Got them all set up in and on a cabinet in another room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

davebo posted:

I never had any intention of building a big collection, just the 15-20 figures I had left over from my childhood and a Han Solo in carbonite I picked up as a teen. Last summer though my mom says this lady came into her church's consignment shop with all her sons old toys and didn't know what anything was worth. They were all filthy and some in better condition than others, but I just bought everything, spent a week cleaning them up then sold a few vehicles on ebay that paid for everything else. There were about 70 figures most with the accessories, Jabba and his throne, the AT-AT and millenium falcon which I bought reprinted decals for. Then once I had all that I had to go and buy some playsets for the ones not in that case on the left. So I picked up a tatooine desert and a very incomplete Ewok Village along with an AT-ST. Got them all set up in and on a cabinet in another room.

This sounds awesome, post pics of everything!

If you're looking for non display case setup ideas I recently purchased some IKEA Lack floating shelves and they're fantastic for figure and playset displays.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Rhyno posted:

This sounds awesome, post pics of everything!

If you're looking for non display case setup ideas I recently purchased some IKEA Lack floating shelves and they're fantastic for figure and playset displays.

I'll try to get some photos of what's behind glass, which is an old curio I inherited from my grandmother. I really prefer having stuff in there because I don't relish dusting all the figures that are out in the open. I definitely need something to prop up the Solo in carbonite for my Jabba scene though. Maybe just as simple as bending a black wire into a shape that supports it upright.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah man we all started by saying 'this is my first and only hot toys order'.

Honestly, I only got Ripley because Alien is my favorite film. I wish I had the Dallas and Big Chap to match, though I heard the Big Chap has issues. I can't see myself spending Hot Toys prices on the other franchises they do figures of because as much as I love the detail I can't justify it. I just love Alien too god drat much I had to.

This might change.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's what flex pay is for. :D

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
What's the service that lets you order Japanese toys that aren't typically exported to the US for a fee?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Reinanigans posted:

What's the service that lets you order Japanese toys that aren't typically exported to the US for a fee?

Can you be more specific? If you're looking for a proxy, there's several of them but I'm not that familiar with them. CDJapan.com has a proxy service now. There's Mandarake.co.jp as a multi-store physical chain of second hand stores that ships products internationally and has an online presence as well. Plus the usual stores like AmiAmi, HLJ, Nippon-Yasan, Anime-Export, and MyKombini (which do things like Bandai web exclusives) and plenty of others.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Gotta chime in if someone mentions Mandarake. It's the best drat place to buy used Japanese (and sometimes US) toys. The selection is good and the prices are good.

Just a few things to remember. Everything lists what shop they come from, obviously if you're buying from three stores, you'll be paying shipping on three separate boxes. Also they don't always have their stock up to date. That's why there's that option to cancel the order if a specific item is out of stock.

Btw the front page asks if you're from Earth or Japan. I have no clue why Japan isn't a part of earth and I think about that a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

vkeios posted:

Btw the front page asks if you're from Earth or Japan. I have no clue why Japan isn't a part of earth and I think about that a lot.

Read Valiant's Rai and 4000Ad, it will all make sense.

Speaking of, where the hell are my goddamned Valiant figures?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Zebulon posted:

Can you be more specific? If you're looking for a proxy, there's several of them but I'm not that familiar with them. CDJapan.com has a proxy service now. There's Mandarake.co.jp as a multi-store physical chain of second hand stores that ships products internationally and has an online presence as well. Plus the usual stores like AmiAmi, HLJ, Nippon-Yasan, Anime-Export, and MyKombini (which do things like Bandai web exclusives) and plenty of others.

Yea, sorry, I meant a proxy, I couldn't think of the word. Thanks!

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Reinanigans posted:

Yea, sorry, I meant a proxy, I couldn't think of the word. Thanks!

Sorry I can't be of more help with proxies in specific, just never used them personally.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Daaaaaaamn, that's one hell of a head sculpt. It's hilarious to look at some of the non-HT stuff Sideshow have announced lately (like the Sean Connery Bond or Tennant Doctor) and compare the heads on those with mini-Margot here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Tennant Doctor is from Big Chief Studios, and they're ok, but something is always just a little bit off. Like, I'd love their 8th and War Doctors, but they're just not very good sculpts of John Hurt and Paul McGann. :saddowns:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sentinel Red posted:

Daaaaaaamn, that's one hell of a head sculpt. It's hilarious to look at some of the non-HT stuff Sideshow have announced lately (like the Sean Connery Bond or Tennant Doctor) and compare the heads on those with mini-Margot here.

The number of creepos who are going to put Phicen bodies on this and masturbate will be at epic levels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It does seem like a weird choice not to go seamless with a mini dress though.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Why can't they have that head on wide mouth yelly Harley? It's like they keep putting out the same character with increasingly bad decisions.*

* I suppose this is the true Hot Toys way

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait about 2 minutes after it goes into production and the factories will start ebaying knockoff casts.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Suicide Squad Harley is still an absolutely ugly design. What I would really like to see is a nice high quality figure based off her DCAU design.

Or gently caress, get creative and take the design from the Lego Version and translate that into a Teen Titans-esque design (The TV version obviously). That'd be the best Harley.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Suicide Squad Harley is still an absolutely ugly design. What I would really like to see is a nice high quality figure based off her DCAU design.

Or gently caress, get creative and take the design from the Lego Version and translate that into a Teen Titans-esque design (The TV version obviously). That'd be the best Harley.

Her Arkham Asylum (the first game) design was a good one. A cool nurse Harley and mad Dr Joker pair would be a great set of figures.

Just fix the face to look more like Margot, if you must, or just get it closer to the cartoon in overall vibe, at least.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Her Arkham Asylum (the first game) design was a good one.

:chloe:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Hot Toys really only makes stuff from live action, and rarely games.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They did a few anime things.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Nevermind, this figure is basically on point for a "modern" take on Harley:

She's basically the only design they didn't gently caress up in Injustice, really.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DCAU Harley is the only decent costume she's ever had, IMO. Everything else tries to make her some kind of corseted juggalo fantasy.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

DCAU Harley is the only decent costume she's ever had, IMO. Everything else tries to make her some kind of corseted juggalo fantasy.

There it is, there's the voice of common sense. Her character has enough problematic elements without making her even more sexualized.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

It's even more weird when you remember she's a literal doctor dressing up as a nurse fetish gone wrong.

Yeah DCAU best. Injustice is not good imo but it looks amazing compared to the others.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Don't get me wrong, the classic outfit is great, but I'm one of those people that doesn't mind actually seeing her hair. Not a fan of the dyed red and black hair, though, like she had in Arkham City or Knight. The Injustice one is a good compromise with keeping the jester look, I just wish she was wearing a real shirt and her loving thong wasn't poking up out of her pants. If she we wearing a normal T-Shirt with tattered/frayed hem on the bottom, or maybe bells hanging off it or something, that design would basically be ideal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

There it is, there's the voice of common sense. Her character has enough problematic elements without making her even more sexualized.

She wears a latex bodysuit, she can't be more sexualized.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Batman Beyond Harley was by far the sexiest version.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

She wears a latex bodysuit, she can't be more sexualized.

I guess the medium plays into it a lot; a latex bodysuit in comics and animation is so ubiquitous it might as well be a pants suit. Or maybe my weenus is broken? I dunno.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just think the bodysuit is at least a little more dignified than the usual corset and hot pants that most artists/games give her. She's already a character with a complicated backstory full of abuse, turning her into a nerd sex object just feels a little gross.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She was always a nerd sex object. Have you even heard of Bruce "2 rear end cracks" Timm?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

The roller derby Harley was a good look. Having some kind of protection makes a little more sense.

I'm at the point where the movie Harley should just be erased from everyone's memory.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was a brief dream/fantasy sequence in Suicide Squad where she's wearing her BTAS costume.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I guess this is the relevant thread to post that Toys R Us has filed for Chapter 11 :(
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-19/toys-r-us-files-for-bankruptcy-crushed-by-online-competition

I have had the ignoble honor of working for 3 retail companies, Kmart (toy department manager no less), KB Toys and TRU, that went bankrupt

:negative:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would like to request you use your powers for good and start working for a vape shop.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

sticksy posted:

I guess this is the relevant thread to post that Toys R Us has filed for Chapter 11 :(
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-19/toys-r-us-files-for-bankruptcy-crushed-by-online-competition

I have had the ignoble honor of working for 3 retail companies, Kmart (toy department manager no less), KB Toys and TRU, that went bankrupt

:negative:

Well thanks for killing retail stores you damned millennial

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Davros1 posted:

There was a brief dream/fantasy sequence in Suicide Squad where she's wearing her BTAS costume.

Yeah I didn't want to go there really but that's true and it's not flattering. Suicide Squad has stuck with me more than almost any other superhero movie because it had a lot of potential and a lot of good elements and I keep trying to mentally "fix" it. It really could've been special and good :/

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Aphrodite posted:

I would like to request you use your powers for good and start working for a vape shop.

YEAH! Go get them.

quietly vapes in the privacy of my home where no one can judge me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The US toy industry is really in the shitter. You had a perfect storm of conglomeration along with children's television disappearing overnight. I have no idea how TRU has stayed in business with their giant retail footprints, they should have downsized while focusing more on the areas of their business that was still growing and profitable (video games, collector items, Lego, babies). They also could have made their online number one with a bullet. Instead it has been floundering over and over again. There seems to be some people who have good plans but those carrying them out seem to be inept. You walk into a store and are lucky to find product and if you order from them online you are lucky if you get it shipped and even luckier if it is the actual item you ordered.

It is scary how in 20 years the entire industry has effectively collapsed, you went from several major companies and many more mid to small to really two players left; Mattel and Hasbro. You went from every network carrying children's programing at least one day a week to it being nonexistent. The death of Saturday Morning really effected the toy industry more than anyone could have seen at the time. You went from having 4-6 hours of advertising time along with programs that you were making product of on four or sometimes five channels depending on the market to limited advertising on Cartoon Network, Disney or Nickelodeon as they do not have many third party commercials on their programing. I am honestly wondering if there is actually going to be much of a industry in another 10 years.