Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dragon;s Dogma kicks rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

tap my mountain posted:

At least PS4 emulation should be a thing eventually, demon's is going to be locked away on the PS3 forever
Well, PS Now is also a thing and among other games you can already play Uncharted, The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption on PC which seemed impossible a couple of years ago so here's hoping Demon's Souls and Bloodborne will join the line-up one day.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

What the gently caress

I meant the balance in particular. Skyrim's balance is a mess where you're either able to kill everything or you get slaughtered before you have time to eat 30 wedges of cheese. Its not really a challenge or engaging. Dragon's Dogma is more engaging to play and fight but the enemies are so wildly unbalanced you end up doing boring things for a long time.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't like Dragon's Dogma as much as most goons seems to, but it's still really good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I get Dragon's Crown and Dragon's Dogma confused. I guess one of the them has some rock song that people love?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Incidentally, while it's not confirmed, it might have been leaked that Dragon's Crown is getting a PS4 release.

Like with Okami, I will probably play it again.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I get Dragon's Crown and Dragon's Dogma confused. I guess one of the them has some rock song that people love?

Dragon's Crown is D&D as filtered through a Japanese man meaning absurd anatomy and the best monster design.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Incidentally, while it's not confirmed, it might have been leaked that Dragon's Crown is getting a PS4 release.

Like with Okami, I will probably play it again.

Which is great because I like that game but it's boring singleplayer. No word on that badass looking mech game Vanillaware was making.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dragon's dogma is like if someone read the D&D monster manual and said "dang these are some cool monsters let's make a game where you fight all of them", dragon's crown is like if someone read the D&D player's guide and said "dang I wanna get with these elf ladies"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dragons crown is visual chaos on vita i just die constantly with no clue wtf is happening

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I love Dragon's Crown but I can't really even comment on it as a single player game because 95% of my time with that game was spent with my friend who likes it as much as I do.

And yeah it is visually really chaotic but you get used to it after awhile

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

glam rock hamhock posted:

And yeah it is visually really chaotic but you get used to it after awhile

https://i.imgur.com/TqGokUd.mp4

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There's your mistake.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They patched DC to give you colored rings under your characters, and a few other quality of life advancements that really improved figuring out wtf was going on screen. It's manageable although some bosses are crazy as gently caress like the dozen pirates + genie with a 2 pixel wide lamp bouncing around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Somebody should make a googley eyes mod :haw:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

we already have video games hahahaha

e: i don't know anything about vg's probably normal eyes, sorry if this implied otherwise

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Every once in a while, I like to look at the Wikipedia page for the PS3 because it blows my mind that it only had 512mb combined system and video memory. Like, I'll remember that fact and second guess myself cause that's so little memory.
I heard the 360 was originally going to ship with 256mb because executives didn't care for it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard the 360 was originally going to ship with 256mb because executives didn't care for it.
the story was they weren't convinced to go to 512 until epic showed them a game (gears?) and were like "this is what it looks like with 512MB of ram, and this is what it will look like with 256"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yes, it was Epic who said "Don't loving do this you idiots" and the Xbox 360 would've been a Dreamcast situation to Sony's PS3 if they followed through even for as hard as Sony tried to destroy every bit of good will they built up with PS2.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

Dragons crown is visual chaos on vita i just die constantly with no clue wtf is happening

Oh I can help you with understanding.

See, they were being duplicitous. It was all a ruse!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
apparently the artist for dragon's crown got really sad cause advertisers only wanted his big titty art and none of his drawings of big muscley naked men, and if true that means dragon's crown is the greatest game ever created

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Playing more samus.
The circle pad is infuriating and making the game not as fun as it could be

The metroid fights are also kinda boring.

The level design is amazeballs though

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

apparently the artist for dragon's crown got really sad cause advertisers only wanted his big titty art and none of his drawings of big muscley naked men, and if true that means dragon's crown is the greatest game ever created

how D&D plays out in my head

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zaphod42 posted:

I meant the balance in particular. Skyrim's balance is a mess where you're either able to kill everything or you get slaughtered before you have time to eat 30 wedges of cheese. Its not really a challenge or engaging. Dragon's Dogma is more engaging to play and fight but the enemies are so wildly unbalanced you end up doing boring things for a long time.

I like The Elder Scrolls a lot but they seriously need to do a major overhaul of the combat so its more engaging than "point sword at monster". I'm not entirely sure how you do that in first person though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Internet Kraken posted:

I like The Elder Scrolls a lot but they seriously need to do a major overhaul of the combat so its more engaging than "point sword at monster". I'm not entirely sure how you do that in first person though.

Chivalry did it sort of all right.

Or just accept that 3rd person is much better for that and nudge players in that direction.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

At least you dont arbitrarily miss based on a dice roll like previous games

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Chivalry did it sort of all right.

Or just accept that 3rd person is much better for that and nudge players in that direction.

3rd person mode in the Skyrim engine is abysmal and I don't expect improvements any time soon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TIL Panzer Dragoon has a PC port

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Yeah dragons crown owns, elf 4 life

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah that was awful. Any action-rpg where you can hit something and "miss" is awful.

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

3rd person mode in the Skyrim engine is abysmal and I don't expect improvements any time soon.

The animations are hilariously terrible. Bethesda can't do Dark Souls combat because they can't do animations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

al-azad posted:

how D&D plays out in my head

if you've never done this irl playing d&d wit ya boyz then idk what to tell you

Looper posted:

Yeah dragons crown owns, elf 4 life

the best part about playing dragons crown is the grunts and quotes your characters say during the cooking minigame. whenever i'm out with my buddies and we eat somewhere really good we'll be like SUBARASHII

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 19, 2017

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Dragon's Dogma lets you climb on giant monsters Shadow of the Colossus style and sometime they fly into the air taking you with them and then you murder them and they hurl to the ground. Also there is a weird sub game where you train up a pawn and send him or her out into the world to work for other players and sometimes they come back with gifts. Also, also, it has an in-game barber shop so you can mess with your appearance and your pawn's appearance as much as you like, which is something I have never understood why most rpgs restrict.

Thanks for listening.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Oh man, if Mass Effect had a quick appearance change system I'd have had a different Shepard in every cutscene.

That's one thing that sticks in my mind about Mass Effect 1 on PC too - the character creator had really bad lighting so my dude looked completely different in the actual game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

Dragon's Dogma lets you climb on giant monsters Shadow of the Colossus style and sometime they fly into the air taking you with them and then you murder them and they hurl to the ground. Also there is a weird sub game where you train up a pawn and send him or her out into the world to work for other players and sometimes they come back with gifts. Also, also, it has an in-game barber shop so you can mess with your appearance and your pawn's appearance as much as you like, which is something I have never understood why most rpgs restrict.

Thanks for listening.

Those things are all awesome and also the best parts of the game and you spend way more time doing other things :(

Mostly running around and farming annoying enemies. If the game wanted to it could be an open world shadow of the colossus with more RPG stuff but... that's just like not the focus of the game. Instead its tons of busywork and wandering around into the wrong areas because the game is awkwardly laid out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

In vermintide melee weapons can headshot and do differing amounts of stagger/damage to each target you hit in a swing, each swing has its own number of targets so there's a nice balance between high-CC/low-damage weapons like the sword & shield and high-damage/single-target weapons like the axe, staggering things is predictable, and charge attacks are fundamentally different than normal attacks. Or look at dark messiah for something built around a number of enemies closer to skyrim's.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Real hurthling! posted:

I tried to play Morrowind and could not get into it because of how bad the combat was. Its was insanely frustrating to be hitting stuff with my weapon and deal no damage. I really wanted to like it because people always say its so much better than Oblivion/Skyrim but its painful too play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm watching this bunnyhop video and its kinda blowing my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKw4eNFGqc

He's got a really good loving point. People complain now about multiplayer-only games not having enough content and everything has to have a campaign, and it didn't used to be that way back in the day of Quake 3 or Tribes.

But that's obvious, the really interesting thing is that old multiplayer games generally had bots to practice against. And starting with Halo FPS stopped having bots, and then with modern FPS you have so many real human online opponents why bother coding some bad bots? But the thing is, bots aren't just a substitute for players, they can fill a different function. Sometimes you don't want the challenge of a real person, and just womping an easy computer feels good. Maybe you're still learning the game and don't feel confident about hopping in with real players. Maybe your internet connection is spotty or you don't have long to play.

Weird that we have so much more powerful hardware now but most games don't have multiplayer bots. And games like Quake 3 managed pretty good bots.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm watching this bunnyhop video and its kinda blowing my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKw4eNFGqc

He's got a really good loving point. People complain now about multiplayer-only games not having enough content and everything has to have a campaign, and it didn't used to be that way back in the day of Quake 3 or Tribes.

But that's obvious, the really interesting thing is that old multiplayer games generally had bots to practice against. And starting with Halo FPS stopped having bots, and then with modern FPS you have so many real human online opponents why bother coding some bad bots? But the thing is, bots aren't just a substitute for players, they can fill a different function. Sometimes you don't want the challenge of a real person, and just womping an easy computer feels good. Maybe you're still learning the game and don't feel confident about hopping in with real players. Maybe your internet connection is spotty or you don't have long to play.

Weird that we have so much more powerful hardware now but most games don't have multiplayer bots. And games like Quake 3 managed pretty good bots.

I agree that botstomps can be a pretty fun way to unwind when you're stressed out. But I saw the word bunnyhop and my mind locked onto "that phoon video was pretty good" for a minute or so.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Colonel posted:

I want Randy to sell off the rights to the Battleborn characters so I can see what Giant Guy with Tiny Head looks like in the Dragon's Crown art style.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Destiny, Warframe, and horde modes are capitalizing on that niche of people who like fps gameplay but don't get much from the competitive side of it. Yeah they're not really the same in terms of challenge or what type of strategy they use, but it's enough to hit similar buttons for people. I would say it's surprising Overwatch hasn't added some sort of pve mode beside the one event, but they no doubt don't want to compete with themselves.

I kind of wonder if any big publisher will try to bring back the side scrolling brawler as a similar sort of thing for fighting games. There's DFO, but I don't think it has too much reach. Musou games aren't really the same sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Whenever I think of phoon I end up thinking about CS and it always ends up back at this video like how wikipedia always loops back to philosophy if you keep clicking links

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqB1uoDTdKM

• Locked thread