Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The quest title kinda gave the game away for me. But I guess the interesting development is why rather than who.

Wire looks neat but that's about all it has going for it as far as I could ever tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Glazius posted:

Devoting 15% of operational capacity to killing your own soldiers. No wonder this war's going on for so long.

If there's been any great theme to this game so far, it's that YorHa is deeply unequipped to deal with this or any other kind of war.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sum Gai posted:

If there's been any great theme to this game so far, it's that YorHa is deeply unequipped to deal with this or any other kind of war.

Look. It's been thousands of years of combat. They've almost certainly tried all the good ideas for how you win a war, and that hasn't worked. So they're trying out all the bad ideas now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When they tried the good ideas the machines just copied them, soooo....

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sindai posted:

When they tried the good ideas the machines just copied them, soooo....

They still are. YoRHa decided to kill themselves, and look at the previous sidequest.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
"Hey Bob, I know we're supposed to make these combat androids as human as possible, but shouldn't we, y'know, skip all the emotions and stuff that make actual humans go kinda crazy sometimes in wars or might lower their ability to fight?"
"Nope. We're building robo-commissar-assassins instead!"

Honestly this is just one item in the very long list of questionable design decisions made by android designers in the Nier universe.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I climbed up and down that damned parking structure probably 5 times looking for the quest giver and couldn't find them. I guess it's good to know that the quest marker wasn't placed there in error, but I wish I'd picked up this quest while playing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

"Hey Bob, I know we're supposed to make these combat androids as human as possible, but shouldn't we, y'know, skip all the emotions and stuff that make actual humans go kinda crazy sometimes in wars or might lower their ability to fight?"

Honestly this is just one item in the very long list of questionable design decisions made by android designers in the Nier universe.

It's been generations and no one knows how much input, if any, the humans have had on this process. It wouldn't surprise me if we've had several levels of androids building androids building androids, and now they're going crazy purely by accident because no one has looked over how the legacy code for holding a sword interacts with the new code for wearing really fashionable outfits.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Yeah, it took me a while to figure out where the hell the next trigger was because I couldn't see the pod.

Also, note the hint of jealousy from 2B! Guess 9S even hinting that he might theoretically consider playing hard-to-get at some indeterminate point in the future is enough to get her to stake a claim. Probably because YorHa has a really shallow dating pool for its straight members.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

It's been generations and no one knows how much input, if any, the humans have had on this process. It wouldn't surprise me if we've had several levels of androids building androids building androids, and now they're going crazy purely by accident because no one has looked over how the legacy code for holding a sword interacts with the new code for wearing really fashionable outfits.

Androids are also using emotions to keep them engaged in the whole hopeless forever war thing. Not much benefit in cutting the feature that's the only thing preventing mass revolt.

If I remember right, in an interview Taro said that most of YoRHa is aware of E types. The whole thing works under the idea they primarily exist to ensure nobody's captured by the enemy or left half dead. 2B detonating with 9S in the opening would be, in theory, the sort of work an E type would do. Just, with 7E out early, somebody else had to pick up the slack.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Wouldn't it be kind of morally questionable for an android to deliberately program another android to not feel anything?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I never caught the whole 7E thing before, and probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been pointed out here. I mean, you find out about the E-Series so long after you dance with the Engels that you forget 7E was even there

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Ryas posted:

Wouldn't it be kind of morally questionable for an android to deliberately program another android to not feel anything?

Would that really be an issue given what we've seen so far?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if you didnt program androids to have feelings, you wouldnt be able to prohibit feelings

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think part of the deal with artificial intelligence in the Drakenier universe is that emotion is an integral part of advanced intelligence, and any sufficiently advanced artificial being will develop emotions regardless of whether they were initially given that capacity. This certainly seemed to be the case with Beepy, and looks to be true for our machine lifeform buddies as well.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Icedude posted:

I never caught the whole 7E thing before, and probably wouldn't have if it hadn't been pointed out here. I mean, you find out about the E-Series so long after you dance with the Engels that you forget 7E was even there

A subtle but good post

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Tarezax posted:

I think part of the deal with artificial intelligence in the Drakenier universe is that emotion is an integral part of advanced intelligence, and any sufficiently advanced artificial being will develop emotions regardless of whether they were initially given that capacity. This certainly seemed to be the case with Beepy, and looks to be true for our machine lifeform buddies as well.

Don't forget the replicants! Maybe they weren't androids but full-on self awareness definently wasn't part of the original plan

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

Androids are also using emotions to keep them engaged in the whole hopeless forever war thing. Not much benefit in cutting the feature that's the only thing preventing mass revolt.

If I remember right, in an interview Taro said that most of YoRHa is aware of E types. The whole thing works under the idea they primarily exist to ensure nobody's captured by the enemy or left half dead. 2B detonating with 9S in the opening would be, in theory, the sort of work an E type would do. Just, with 7E out early, somebody else had to pick up the slack.

Really depends on how well the backup upload works, though don't all the androids have self-destruct?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Icedude posted:

Frickin' tax evaders.

I don't think I even bothered using Wire at any point, and I completely forgot it existed. I wish they had made more of an effort to make the pod programs more equally worth using.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't remember if it's in the actual game or in short story stuff but it is explained why they gave androids emotions.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Don't forget the replicants! Maybe they weren't androids but full-on self awareness definently wasn't part of the original plan

Yeah "Things we had no intention of becoming sentient have become sentient" is a problem that's come up a few times in the first Nier, and is a major catalyst for the events of that game.

Alternatively the Androids in charge of things now has been watching a lot of old cartoons and is trying to harness the power of FRIENDSHIP to end the machine wars.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I don't think popola and devola feeling bad for nier was planned either, and that's what hosed things up

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

i am tim! posted:

Yeah "Things we had no intention of becoming sentient have become sentient" is a problem that's come up a few times in the first Nier, and is a major catalyst for the events of that game.

Ha. In that case, "feelings are prohibited" is more like "please please please don't become sapient or we will be very disappointed in you."

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I like that the E droid had red hair, beyond Devola and Popola there haven't been that many red haired droids thus far I think?
This makes her stand out more as she goes about her business of covertly exterminating other Androids.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Darth TNT posted:

I like that the E droid had red hair, beyond Devola and Popola there haven't been that many red haired droids thus far I think?
This makes her stand out more as she goes about her business of covertly exterminating other Androids.

YoRHa androids almost universally make terrible decisions.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Darth TNT posted:

Nobody named, but I think some of the generic YoRHa types we see on the surface have red hair.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ratoslov posted:

YoRHa androids almost universally make terrible decisions.

A2 chose to be the best and it's working out pretty well.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
If you measure success in skewered babies, sure. ...so I guess on the Taro scale that checks out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

If you measure success in skewered babies, sure. ...so I guess on the Taro scale that checks out.

The forest king was gonna grow up to be big and strong.

A2 made the right choice averting that disaster

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
A2 has also been almost completely absent from the game so far, which is probably the smartest idea you can have when you consider who made it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
she was already in one taro yoko story, she knows its best to stay as far away from those.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wonderslug posted:

If you measure success in skewered babies, sure.

Is there another measurement?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
How many weapons that end up as horrifying no-moral stories.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sage Grimm posted:

How many weapons that end up as horrifying no-moral stories.

It's easier to count the ones that don't.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rainuwastaken posted:

A2 has also been almost completely absent from the game so far, which is probably the smartest idea you can have when you consider who made it.

Honestly this really is the best solution for Yoko Taro characters if they gain genre awareness. Just scream "NOPE! NOPE! BITCHES I'M OUT!" then hide in the woods, hoping you avoid becoming a statistic (or at least become a statistic that goes quickly), or avoid something you did years ago becoming plot relevant.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alkydere posted:

Honestly this really is the best solution for Yoko Taro characters if they gain genre awareness. Just scream "NOPE! NOPE! BITCHES I'M OUT!" then hide in the woods, hoping you avoid becoming a statistic (or at least become a statistic that goes quickly), or avoid something you did years ago becoming plot relevant.

because hiding in the woods worked out so well for Leonard

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

exploded mummy posted:

He wasn't genre aware.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

exploded mummy posted:

As said, there's still the very real chance that if you're competent enough to try to hide from the world, the world will decide that you are too interesting to be allowed to stay hiding.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Being genre savvy wouldn't matter. Caim was just a man with a sword and not a whole lotta questions. And the other characters were either in the 75% bracket in which they were Loving This poo poo like Arioch or Dito, or in the 24% bracket in which they were Losing Their poo poo like Verdelet and Seere.

Nowe and Manah are in the 1% bracket in which they are just poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode LXXXVIII: Poor Financial Decisions

We’re getting there with sidequest mop up. The final concentration of optional content in Route B is mostly situated in the general area of Pascal’s Village.

Music: Amusement Park (Quiet)

Before we head there and see what’s crackin’ with those goofy machines, we do have a final lingering sidequest still present from Route A. The Half-wit Inventor quest persists through all routes because it involves dumping a sizable financial investment before completing and it would be kind of a dick move to reset the counter.

Back in Route A we only dropped a meager sum of a few grand into the Scientist Machine’s funding because we were rather strapped for cash early on. That is no longer the case as our current savings account has 222,984 G just waiting to be burned frivolously in the name of completionism.

20,000 G is the maximum we can invest at a time. We actually need to invest 80,000 total to advance to the next stage of this quest. So it’s a tad bit annoying we need to do it in 20,000 G installments instead of all at once.

Especially since 2B and 9S need to hang out for two solid days while the Scientist Machine tinkers in his shack laboratory. Every few intervals results in rewards for our investment in science. They are as follows:

• 5,000 G – Medium Recovery
  • 10,000 G – Reset +1 Chip (10% chance of not actually dying when HP depleted/garbage), Meteorite (uncommon harvest point upgrade material)
  • 20,000 G – Impact Bracer L (prevents staggering for 30 seconds), Speed Salve L
  • 40,000 G – Choice Sachet (animals will now spawn at Access Points/frequently photobomb the cinematic when using fast travel)
  • 60,000 G – Dented Plate, Crushed Nut (semi-rare crafting materials)
  • 80,000 G – Meteorite Shard (rare crafting material), Charge Attack +3 (useless)

Once we’ve reached the 80,000+ G mark, the Half-wit Inventor quest reaches its next phase. Guess what it requires...?

That’s right! A huge dump of cash! 100,000 G is needed to complete this quest (making it 180,000 total flushed away.) This will blow through most of our savings... I dunno, man... Maybe not today. We still need to drop a fortune next time we reach Masamune in the Forest Zone and...

This was to be the foremost invention of our generation. I fear you may awaken one night with cold sweat upon your brow cursing your very name for your lack of investing foresight. Yes yes. A shame.

Well, hell... When you put it that way, I guess we could invest if it’s really going to be the invention of the generation. Plus, we have 18 Machine Cores tucked away for a rainy day and those sell for 22,500 G in Route C. So I guess we won’t be hurting that much for cash in the future. Fine. Have the 100,000 G. This better be worth it...

Then the time has come... Time for the foremost genius of his generation to perfect the greatest invention of the age!
<fist pumps and spins torso> Right then, off to work. I just know I can make this happen!

It’s going to be Halloween soon – the only good holiday. Should probably think of a dumb costume. I was grumpy dad Soldier-76 last year with my lovely Dorito gremlin D.Va daughter. My son was a mummy... That wasn’t part of theme. He just wanted to be a mummy. I dunno. Kids are weird. Anyway, you done yet dude...? Seven days of loitering in machine territory wouldn’t looking good on our performance review... if I believed anyone up in the Bunker actually cared about that sort of thing. I bet this two YoRHa drug addicts are still stoned out of their minds out in the desert oil slick and nobody has even noticed back at command.

...Or it was meant to be. Sadly, I have failed.
<points to sky> It was meant to be a launch tower for sending rockets to the very moon itself!

...Instead, it landed on Mars. It’s all so damnably frustrating. I am the world’s foremost genius, after all! Never before have I sipped the bitter brew of defeat! Still, all is not lost. I’ll gladly sell you some of the materials the rocket carried back from that red and desolate planet.

The Scientist Machine now becomes a shop which sells a very expensive, otherwise extremely rare upgrade material used in more than a few Level 4 augmentations. But most importantly: He sells an Alien Mask accessory!

Now 9S can finally live out his dreams of being a total dickhead to machines. Well, at least someone has their Halloween costume sorted out early. :v:

In any case, that finally completes the Half-wit Inventor sidequest. We accidentally funded the machine lifeform space program and got a robot on Mars. Watch this be the jumping off point for NieR 3. As long as they don’t try fracking Hell while they are over there. NieR’s planet has already dealt with interdimensional beings and an alien invasion. It doesn’t need hell demons coming to rumble too.

It’s worth mentioning that Scientist Machine’s launch platform is a permanent addition to the world’s skybox and is large enough to be visible from several regions in the game. Here’s the view of it from in the Flooded City. It’s just there forever now. We probably shouldn’t let YoRHa command know we funded a machine lifeform rocket ship that had intentions of landing on the moon. That might be a light bit of treason, even if that machine wasn’t connected to the Network...

Music: Pascal (Vocal)

That’s one quest down. Let’s head into the Machine Village proper to continue our momentum. Pascal has another quest for us.

But first, we have to exhaust his dialog options. Turns out he has a bunch more topics to discuss beyond the dialog that led toward the Forest Kingdom. Let’s get a bit more of a feel for this village first.

> Ask about being pacifists.

Well, it’s a bit of a heady concept, but in the end, I suppose it’s because conflict has ceased to have meaning for us.
Care to explain?
We machines are weapons created for the purpose of waging war. However, this war simply goes on and on with no end in sight. We have come to realize that the cost of fighting for us as individuals far outweighs any benefits that victory might bring. I believe we will eventually live to see a day when androids and machine lifeforms are able to live together in peace.
Not likely.

> Ask about life in the village.

Well, as you know, we are machines. We do not require food or other typical sustenance, as our cores provide a near-infinite supply of energy. We do, however, deteriorate over time, which means we need to procure parts and initiate repairs. Still, it’s not like we break down all that often. To be completely honest, life in the village is rather slow.

> Ask about the shop.

Oh, we do. For us, simple materials take the role of currency. Each machine is equal, which means the traditional capitalistic acquisition systems of the past don’t work for us. Instead, our economy is focused on trading materials according to one’s need. It was a lesson we learned from mankind’s past history. Most fascinating, don’t you think? We’ve made it a point to teach our children about different economic systems. You should speak to them if the subject is of further interest.

So the machines just kinda chill out here and don’t need much beyond the occasional materials for maintenance. They think war is dumb. Also they’re socialists. That’s all fine and good... what about the sidequest, Pascal? You’ve got QUEST above your head and you’re not putting out. C’mon, man...

I’d like you to collect and bring back any information you find regarding the old world during your travels.
Really? Why?
I’m hoping to use whatever knowledge remains of the old world to make life better for those here in the village. I’ll be glad to share anything we find with you as well, of course. So would you be willing to assist us?
<Help him out.>
Thank you. Please show me anything of interest you find.

So begins the Data on the Old World quest. Pascal will now cough up rewards for any Old World Archives. This includes things like the flyer from the Amusement Park or that parking ticket with the game dev names. There’s actually a specific piece of data we need to obtain to finish this quest. But we’ll worry about that another time.

Ah! Thank you so much. I find this data from mankind to be ever so fascinating... I know it’s not much, but please take this as thanks.

Pascal just makes a copy of any data we’ve obtained. It doesn’t disappear from our archives or anything. But regardless, we’ll take that 10,000. We’re a bit strapped for cash again at the moment thanks to that whole space program funding business.

Anyway, that’s it for Pascal for now. But we’ve got other issues to resolve while we’re in town. It seems the Overprotective Mother and the Son Machine are having some family troubles again. Let’s see what the issue is this time...

I figured he’d be over that by now.
He tried so hard. I know he did! But fear has gotten the better of him and... Well, here we are. The lock is even stronger this time—without your aid, I’ll probably be standing here forever!
<Help the mother.>
Let me try hacking it open.
Get this door open and drag my good-for-nothing son out here this instant!

Welp. That shut-in kid is back at it again. We’ve got to give him some hard love to make him go out and meet people.

And by that I of course mean 9S needs to hack his door lock and blow up his door again. You know, the responsible resolution to dealing with a moody teen.

The maze constructed on the lock this time has a much tighter timer and is somewhat lengthier. Additionally, several rows of tall, thin blocks which take double-damage to destroy. Still, it’s not too big of a deal to manage.

gently caress your door, kid! Maybe your pinko commie society can pitch in to mend the property destruction, nerd.

You had me worried sick, young man! I can’t believe you did this AGAIN!
<cowers> I was scared. See, after I left the house, I... started to like this one girl. I thought I was gonna short-circuit whenever I looked at her! I never felt that before and it was... It was... It was SCARY!
There there. It’s all right. Next time, we’ll go see her together. All right?
<stands up> ‘Kay.
<turns to 9S> Thank you again. Truly. I don’t have much to give you, but I hope this makes up for some of your troubles. Oh, and feel free to come visit my child anytime you like. He seems... fond of you.

...Says the android wearing the hollowed out penis alien head of his sworn enemy race. Pot. Kettle. Black, 9S. You dingus...

Two severed machine legs, huh? Maybe give your kid those. Motivate him to get out of the house. I dunno... We’d better not be back here again to sort this out. We will be.

And that concludes our time for now in Pascal’s Village and brings our total sidequest completion to 75%. Tune in next time as we sort out some other machine problems and possibly, potentially... maybe commit some light treason. Again... As NieR: Automata’s sidequests continue to wind down.

Video: Episode 88 Highlight Reel

Pascal Concept Art – I like the sassy one with the weathervane accessory.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 20, 2017

• Locked thread