Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarantula posted:

Maybe one American civilian should be killed for every 1 South Korean, might actually make some of you re-think war when it's suddenly in your country.

Can they be all boomers? If so, bomb the gently caress out of them yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i have a friend who works at tech and apparently someone set a cop car on fire so i'm guessing it's a small group of showboating anti-cop protesters getting destructive

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

Mustached Demon posted:

Can they be all boomers? If so, bomb the gently caress out of them yesterday.

Boy I sure hope so.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

PERISH THE THOUGHT

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

By all means feel free to step in.

Not really much to say other than we shouldn't be wasting money on the loving navy of all things, lol.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jizz Festival posted:

Not really much to say other than we shouldn't be wasting money on the loving navy of all things, lol.

:downs:

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jizz Festival posted:

i mean the us navy is kind of the most important part of our military to keep maintained and where we should probably be spending money if we're going to spend on the military at all, but i'm sure you've got this one all figured out

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
from reddit

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jazerus posted:

i mean the us navy is kind of the most important part of our military to keep maintained and where we should probably be spending money if we're going to spend on the military at all, but i'm sure you've got this one all figured out

Yeah I'm sure the navy is incapable of maintaining itself with its current tiny budget.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

quote:

A protest over the death of Scott "Scout" Schultz, a Georgia Tech student shot over the weekend by a campus police officer, turned violent Monday evening.

Campus officials released the following alert to its students:

“Seek shelter in a secure location until further notice. Lock all doors and windows. Take Immediate Action Now!”

Several social media posts show a Georgia Tech Police SUV, it's front doors open, and fire coming from the front seats. One video shows at least one young protester being restrained by an officer, but it was not immediately clear if the two were directly related.

This is all I found on Atlanta local news.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 19, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/GeorgiaTech/status/909857575541329920

Now I really have to wonder what's going on up there.

the cop hosed up super bad and should be forced to resign, but Scott was a hosed up idiot who wanted to commit suicide by cop and started and kept escalating the situation until he got the bullet in the chest he wanted.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the cop hosed up super bad, but Scott was a hosed up idiot who wanted to commit suicide by cop and did so. dont know why he/they didnt do it themselves instead of forcing someones hand. loving coward.

yeah it's super hosed up how mentally ill people make bad decisions in a moment of acute crisis. pussy

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't torch cop cars you loving idiots. Don't give the pigs ammo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

boner confessor posted:

yeah it's super hosed up how mentally ill people make bad decisions in a moment of acute crisis. pussy

well now a person has to live with killing someone in a lovely awful situation. if he wanted to go so bad, he should have gotten help. he was the loving president of the LGBT club, i am sure he could have found someone, a friend/ a teacher to help him with his mental problems. those places are normaly very good with that. instead he ruined others lives and ended his own.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I just watched the video. I've seen more threatening drunk people at tech games.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the cop hosed up super bad and should be forced to resign, but Scott was a hosed up idiot who wanted to commit suicide by cop and started and kept escalating the situation until he got the bullet in the chest he wanted.

It's just they. Don''t be a loving rear end in a top hat.

And yeah, if there's anyone we need to feel sorry for, it's not the person who was in such a bad mental state that they sought to take their own life in the most inept way possible, it's the loving cop who chose to shoot him.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well now a person has to live with killing someone in a lovely awful situation. if he wanted to go so bad, he should have gotten help. he was the loving president of the LGBT club, i am sure he could have found someone. instead he ruined others lives and ended his own.

the cop is the true victim here, hmmm, yes

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jizz Festival posted:

Yeah I'm sure the navy is incapable of maintaining itself with its current tiny budget.

:downs:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well now a person has to live with killing someone in a lovely awful situation. if he wanted to go so bad, he should have gotten help. he was the loving president of the LGBT club, i am sure he could have found someone, a friend/ a teacher to help him with his mental problems. those places are normaly very good with that. instead he ruined others lives and ended his own.

well so long as you're looking at your magic crystal ball and you saw that this person didn't seek help for their illness maybe you could go back in time to tell the cop not to show up for work that day and also tell me where my spare car keys are thanks

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jazerus posted:

the cop is the true victim here, hmmm, yes

in this case, he is one of them, yeah. yeah the person who died is a victim, but they made a lovely situation worse by calling the cops in the first place and then begging him to kill him. repeatedly.

there wolf posted:

It's just they. Don''t be a loving rear end in a top hat.

And yeah, if there's anyone we need to feel sorry for, it's not the person who was in such a bad mental state that they sought to take their own life in the most inept way possible, it's the loving cop who chose to shoot him.

sorry, the news channels kept refering to they as him, they should have gotten help.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sorry, they should have gotten help.

i'm sure you know this for a fact and you're not just assuming the person who got shot committed some moral error which allows you to keep your worldview intact. and you certainly wouldn't double down on your certainty regarding this unknowable fact to save face. i'm sure that couldn't happen itt

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mustached Demon posted:

Don't torch cop cars you loving idiots. Don't give the pigs ammo.

I think they bring their own

khy
Aug 15, 2005

boner confessor posted:

you're changing tack here - previously you were using "modernize" in the context of the north korean economy and how much of it they devote to their military budget. an unsustainably high amount, for sure, but north korea has something of a weakly functioning modern economy after recent (post kim jong-il) reforms as it slowly crawls towards something that works. north korea has factories and engages in limited global trade and is very slowly permitting limited private enterprise in chinese style economic reforms

but now you're talking about "modernize" from the perspective of the average north korean consumer and their personal electronics and media consumption, which is a different topic than the national economy

When I used the phrase 'The country is a hole which cannot modernize' I was referring to the fact that they cannot bring any mainstream modernization that we in the US and other first world countries take for granted, specifically in regard to the free flow of information. The sentence wasn't meant to be in regards to their economy or military specifically but even those instances they also feel anything but modern.

Militarily they seem like the butt of a joke. They're numerous, definitely. They also have a great opportunity in terms of location with Seoul being so close to their borders. And their military spending is, as you said, substantial for the size of their economy. It's just that when you look at the hardware so much of it seems like horribly, horribly dated stuff that other countries sold off because they'd replaced it with far better ages ago. Army, Navy, Airforce... their manpower seems fairly decent but the hardware they're using seems horribly, horribly ancient.

Apparently they are up to date in a single regard, as they have a somewhat impressive cyber warfare division. But when virtually every other aspect of their society lags HORRIBLY far behind almost any other country out there it's tremendously difficult for me to call them 'modern'.

As for the economy, well... When you say they have factories and engage in global trade that doesn't feel very 'modern' either, depending on what tools and equipment is available. We had factories in 1910. We had factories in 1950. If those factories produce cutting-edge equipment with the aid of sophisticated tools, sure, I could say those feel modern. But the fact that they're using ancient equipment and ancient tech in their military, which has such a HUGE focus of the government makes me think their factories are equally out of date, inefficient and awful.

I guess at least partially it depends on your definition of being a part of modern society. Personally I feel like every time we hear anything at all about the country, anything depicted is half a century behind the rest of the world.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 19, 2017

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

You honestly believe that the country with the largest military budget in the world, where giving money to the military (and military contractors, of course) is the easiest thing a politician can do, is not able to maintain its navy because they don't have enough money and you think I'm the stupid one.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

:fuckoff:

The cop also could have just called his buff, bet the guy wasn't gonna stab him with a closed leatherman, hit him with the mace and his partner tackles him to the ground.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bobby Digital posted:

I think they bring their own

Yeah true they do. They don't need more.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NWSJacksonMS/status/909933722165809152

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

:fuckoff:

The cop also could have just called his buff, bet the guy wasn't gonna stab him with a closed leatherman, hit him with the mace and his partner tackles him to the ground.

yeah. they should have. surprised college cops arnt trained for that, honestly surprised college cops are armed at all. whole thing sucks.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Edit: Disarming college cops? But they face so many situations where they would need their firearms like... uh...

boner confessor posted:

i have a friend who works at tech and apparently someone set a cop car on fire so i'm guessing it's a small group of showboating anti-cop protesters getting destructive

It's always a small group of people who want to act tough or get arrested so they can brag about it later, and then sometimes dozens of other people get arrested because of their actions. They're not doing anyone any favors.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Boon posted:

Well, there are only so many pots of money that you can cut back and no matter what you're going to do you're going to impact operations. It's loving expensive to maintain a Navy, much more a global Navy, and if you're going to mandate the same tempo of operations there isn't a whole lot of options. Sliding maintenance availability and overhaul periods cause compounding problems.

Navy's been outsourcing much of its technical competence to private firms in a way that has been hollowing out it's ability to do maintenance and even operations. Navy officers are trained to be more corporate managers than technically competent sailors. I've studied the models of how these managers producing changes to requirements without understanding the systems of shipyards (or the ship) dramatically increase cost and time required for maintenance periods.

I will not disagree that it is loving expensive to maintain the Navy. But the Navy being dumb makes it more expensive than it needs to be.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Democrazy posted:

Edit: Disarming college cops? But they face so many situations where they would need their firearms like... uh...

It's always a small group of people who want to act tough or get arrested so they can brag about it later, and then sometimes dozens of other people get arrested because of their actions. They're not doing anyone any favors.

my college cops arnt armed outside tasers. watching the video its pretty clear they wernt a threat. maybe the cop panicked or some poo poo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jizz Festival posted:

You honestly believe that the country with the largest military budget in the world, where giving money to the military (and military contractors, of course) is the easiest thing a politician can do, is not able to maintain its navy because they don't have enough money and you think I'm the stupid one.

You make such well articulated and supported arguments

BrandorKP posted:

Navy officers are trained to be more corporate managers than technically competent sailors.

Oh no doubt about this, but the problem isn't so simple as you make it seem to be as these ships do, at once, navigation, air defense, ballistic missile defense, anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, electronics warfare, etc.. etc... You're asking college graduates to better understand how to drive the ship when the entirety of their career is going to be spent learning how to fight the ship.

It's a problem that is fixed by specialization, but the Navy hasn't been willing to pull that lever because they favor 'all-around COs' who understand the total operation of the ships but have mastered very little of it. If I could have specialized in navigation I totally would have, but out of my entire career in the Navy, I would have driven the ship more in my first two years than the rest of my career combined. Then you start to pile on retention issues and the need to expand the number of junior officers in order to support department head and commanding officer requirements and you get limited opportunity to really handle the ship because budgets and availability of special operation are limited and simulators aren't the same.

Boon fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 19, 2017

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

You make such well articulated and supported arguments

It's hard to compete with "I work on ship" I admit.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I love it when DnD goons try to tell a Navy man how the US Navy actually works.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

my college cops arnt armed outside tasers. watching the video its pretty clear they wernt a threat. maybe the cop panicked or some poo poo.

And this will be his defense during his criminal trial.

At what point do we realize that if a cop panics the moment he is faced with any sort of danger, he isn't loving fit to be a cop?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
lmao reading the ga tech reddit and all the nerds venting furiously about douchebag antifa vs. the hero cops who make campus safe

tech isn't in the worst neighborhood in atlanta but it's close to some pockets of endemic poverty and there were a couple of relatively high profile robberies against students in the nearby long-time crummy student neighborhood. also tech attracts a lot of sheltered suburbanite students and wealthy international students who get culture shock moving to a major metro area with all the general delights that entails like visible poverty and homelessness. so this is a fun combination for toxic right wing bluster

twice burned ice posted:

At what point do we realize that if a cop panics the moment he is faced with any sort of danger, he isn't loving fit to be a cop?

of the four cops responding to the student, one of them shot. also the student had called 911 beforehand to report a suspicious person who had a gun and a knife, while describing themselves to the operator. so probably the panic defense will work, especially with that 911 call setting up the suicide by cop

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Star Man posted:

I love it when DnD goons try to tell a Navy man how the US Navy actually works.

We've all heard the song, it's pretty basic stuff.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0gHU-_p81o

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If you assume a forever war of global scale, then you're a fool if you don't think we should constantly increase military spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

twice burned ice posted:

college cops are barely cops. its mostly glorified mall cops unless its a ivy league school.

I am honestly sorry about my shittyness earlier. suicide by proxy always loving disgusts and enrages me on deep level. i know they were mentally ill as gently caress and its loving horrible but it feels loving wrong to try to get someone else to do you in. :(

• Locked thread