Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Simply discard the thrown controller and unclip a new one from your bandolier of controllers. Also keep a ready supply of monitors. Geez guys it's not that hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BMan posted:

Simply discard the thrown controller and unclip a new one from your bandolier of controllers. Also keep a ready supply of monitors. Geez guys it's not that hard.

See, This guy knows whats up. :)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's like announcing you wipe standing up; it's weird, and normal people will be surprised that people would admit something so shameful

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

It's like announcing you wipe standing up; it's weird, and normal people will be surprised that people would admit something so shameful

I really don't understand why its so weird though. The straps are there to prevent it going any further than an inch or two, and I'm not throwing it like a baseball or anything insane so odds of the strap really breaking are super low. Low enough that its worth the risk to not have a nade bounce of a wall and kill me instead of through the window like I intended.

And again, I'm not in a room with a bunch of breakable poo poo. Like even my light above me is so high I cant hit it even throwing a controller straight up at it. Worst case, I'm out a monitor and thats assuming I'm throwing it at that one direction and right at it AND it breaks. I mean I guess I could "lose a controller" but I already gently caress these things up way more on walls and what not and really the extendo warranty thing I bought is going to get used anyways so I'm not worried about the controllers themselves.

I understand how you're trying to compare it, I just dont see it that crazy. At least one other person already said they do similar.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

BMan posted:

I've been going with the belt of touch controllers but I'm interested in the bandolier concept.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

I really don't understand why its so weird though. The straps are there to prevent it going any further than an inch or two, and I'm not throwing it like a baseball or anything insane so odds of the strap really breaking are super low. Low enough that its worth the risk to not have a nade bounce of a wall and kill me instead of through the window like I intended.

And again, I'm not in a room with a bunch of breakable poo poo. Like even my light above me is so high I cant hit it even throwing a controller straight up at it. Worst case, I'm out a monitor and thats assuming I'm throwing it at that one direction and right at it AND it breaks. I mean I guess I could "lose a controller" but I already gently caress these things up way more on walls and what not and really the extendo warranty thing I bought is going to get used anyways so I'm not worried about the controllers themselves.

I understand how you're trying to compare it, I just dont see it that crazy. At least one other person already said they do similar.

I don't believe that it doesn't disrupt you much. Just flat out don't. Unless you have like literal seconds you can afford to stand there and use your other hand to put it back in or you take the time to do some weird pendulum flip back into your hand, and even then you're focused on messing with your controllers instead of playing the game.

It's like, sure, you can, and nobody's going to die, but why would you when you could just... not let go. I've dropped my controller by accident a few times playing Echo Arena and if I do it on the joust or in the middle of a match I'm totally loving myself over for whatever I was about to try to do next.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The straps are there as a last resort they aren't meant to be constantly stress tested. Look up stories about people using the straps when the Wii came out. The straps broke and TVs were smashed.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Songbearer posted:

Man I've played some more Onward and Pavlov and I still can't decide if I like one more than the other, I think they're kind of hard to compare ultimately. Pavlov will always be my go-to for a "Eh, I've got half an hour to kill" shooter game, and since I pretty much only play TDM I experience very little chatter and downtime and can just get on with some good old fashioned murder. I think my biggest criticism other than how budgety it feels (There's not much character or polish to the game, but that really doesn't bother me too much - par for the course with early tech) is how much of an advantage stock users have over regular dudes. You can immediately tell if someone's using a stock because their aim is always on point as they pretty much need to just stay level and they're guaranteed a headshot, since movement doesn't really punish gun position. Two rounds from an AK is a kill with a headshot, so if you're slumming it with your wavy hands technique you've got to accept you're going to get slaughtered.
Huh? Is "they're using a stock" the new "they were hacking?" Just hold your hands a decent distance apart and actually use the sights and you'll have plenty of precision to be competitive. Just like with a 2D FPS, practice is necessary to get good, but a stock is by no means important.

Also, the AK is a one shot headshot kill--that's the biggest reason to use it over the M4.

Songbearer posted:

With Onward I think the gun mechanics and the layer of semi-polish really add a lot to the game, but I'm absolutely behind anyone who says the controls are strange. There's a real learning curve to it for sure and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people are put off by first impressions. If you adjust to it though, I think the long range, high risk encounters, slow paced gameplay and fast TTK and emphasis on teamwork and communication can really make for some unique gameplay when everything clicks. I'm pretty antisocial in multiplayer and it's exacerbated in VR, but I find it pretty easy to talk to people in this game and the community seem friendly enough. Don't be jerks to the Germans - they're lovely people and apparently make up 6/10ths of the playerbase.

Something that baffles me is that gripping the guns seems to be a toggle, whether you want it to be or not. I accepted it and put it on proximity grip with the front hand, where putting your controller near the foregrip automatically snaps your hand into gripping it. I'd much rather have a simple hold to grip/ungrip system, holding the button on the Rift controller for extended periods feels just fine.

What I really appreciate is the analogue movement that really takes advantage of VR's ability to track your position: Instead of crouching being a weird sort of toggle as in Pavlov, the tracking of your head and virtual body in Onward is very precise which makes corner creeping and taking cover extremely reliable. It's a little thing but it really helps and also has the benefit of giving you a sense of presence - being pinned behind a concrete barrier in a half-crouch, peering over occasionally and taking potshots, can feel genuinely exhilarating. I've also gone prone on the top of a hill while under fire, lying on one side of my body (in real life!) and firing sideways at the enemies below.

Onward makes the case that a military shooter like ARMA or a smaller, PUBG style game could absolutely be viable. The current tech lets it down a bit though as long-range engagements often have me squinting to make out enemies, but I don't often take any sort of magnifying scope into matches so that's probably user error.
As much as I'm utterly sick of the performance issues, ugliness, lack of content, and general brokenness of Onward (not taking a scope is certainly not user error, half the time they're not even aligned with the direction your bullets go), you are making me miss the core gameplay. The VR space needs more simmy shooters.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 19, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

The straps are there as a last resort they aren't meant to be constantly stress tested. Look up stories about people using the straps when the Wii came out. The straps broke and TVs were smashed.

Yep, And when a strap breaks, I'll have the controller replaced and move on with my life. Again, It feels like you guys think I'm throwing the poo poo like a baseball. This is not the case, Calm down.

Lemming posted:

I don't believe that it doesn't disrupt you much. Just flat out don't. Unless you have like literal seconds you can afford to stand there and use your other hand to put it back in or you take the time to do some weird pendulum flip back into your hand, and even then you're focused on messing with your controllers instead of playing the game.

It's like, sure, you can, and nobody's going to die, but why would you when you could just... not let go. I've dropped my controller by accident a few times playing Echo Arena and if I do it on the joust or in the middle of a match I'm totally loving myself over for whatever I was about to try to do next.

Then you've not read all the posts up to this point. Another goon sort of describes basically how I "throw it". I'm ultimately opening my hand far enough MOST of the time, the strap is a totally last resort. BUT even with just the strap, It takes me all of a second to flip it back into my hand.

:)

Parallelwoody posted:

I've been going with the belt of touch controllers but I'm interested in the bandolier concept.

The Bandoleer upgrade was the way to go. Less downtime for sure.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Ralith posted:

Huh? Is "they're using a stock" the new "they were hacking?" Just hold your hands a decent distance apart and actually use the sights and you'll have plenty of precision to be competitive. Just like with a 2D FPS, practice is necessary to get good, but a stock is by no means important.

Also, the AK is a one shot headshot kill--that's the biggest reason to use it over the M4.

As much as I'm utterly sick of the performance issues, ugliness, lack of content, and general brokenness of Onward (not taking a scope is certainly not user error, half the time they're not even aligned with the direction your bullets go), you are making me miss the core gameplay. The VR space needs more simmy shooters.

Dude haven't you not played the game in months? A ton of optimizations, a few new maps, some reworked weapon models and lots of quality of life features have gone in.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

EbolaIvory posted:

Then you've not read all the posts up to this point. Another goon sort of describes basically how I "throw it". I'm ultimately opening my hand far enough MOST of the time, the strap is a totally last resort. BUT even with just the strap, It takes me all of a second to flip it back into my hand.

If you're letting go of it you're letting go of it. That was the entire point you came in trying to make.

If you're playing a game that's slow paced enough to allow you to disarm yourself for a second with no consequences then do whatever you want. It's still dumb when you could just not do that instead.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

If you're letting go of it you're letting go of it. That was the entire point you came in trying to make.

If you're playing a game that's slow paced enough to allow you to disarm yourself for a second with no consequences then do whatever you want. It's still dumb when you could just not do that instead.

Onward, Pavlov, Arizona Sunshine. Guess those are slow paced. *shrug*

Again, I think you're way overthinking things. And its cute how "I'm dumb" for playing a game how its most comfortable to me. Goons sometimes, I swear.

You also act like the motion of throwing a nade, AND re-gripping your weapon takes no time if you dont let go. In fact, I'm doing both of those things while regaining control of my controller without thinking. So I really dunno what you're talking about as far as "having extra free time in slow games" or whatever you're trying to imply. In fact, The only thing that happens if I hold my controller is 9 times out of 10, I miss the window I'm throwing a nade through, and have to run the gently caress away anyways.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 19, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I know those aren't slow paced games, you missed the subtext.

If your controller isn't in your hand you can't do anything with it. You can minimize the amount of time that lasts but it's always worse than not doing it in the first place. You can do whatever you want but if you post about how you do something weird I'm going to call it weird.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Why are you having a meltdown about this, dude. Do whatever you want who cares

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

rage-saq posted:

Dude haven't you not played the game in months? A ton of optimizations, a few new maps, some reworked weapon models and lots of quality of life features have gone in.
That's the same refrain after every patch, and after every patch it's still the same bugs, the same jank, and the same ugly, boring maps. Except the ones imported from the Unity asset store, those ones look okay, but I can still only spend so many hours on them, especially when I've already played them plenty in other games.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Adding to controller-destroying chat, while playing Gorn tonight I had the bright idea to do an arm-crossing scissor slice while wielding two blades. Third time I tried it I banged my Touch controllers together. No damage to either, but lesson learned.

As an aside, has anyone trusted their friends enough to let them demo this game?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ralith posted:

Is there a guide for those gun stats? I've just been using the guns with sights I like.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

BMan posted:

Is there a guide for those gun stats? I've just been using the guns with sights I like.
The wiki has a decent table. TDM is also great for practicing weapons/loadouts in a low-pressure environment.

I'm a particularly big fan of the UMP. Those close range headshots can be amazing in maps like Office, and slowing people is always a plus; I tend not to even upgrade to a rifle after winning a round with one. I haven't spent enough time with the new M4 yet, though. If you like friendly sights, the P90 is great, but its damage output is pretty disappointing. Still, the big mag is great for engaging groups and keeping people pinned down, and it looks like its price got a big cut.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 19, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Parallelwoody posted:

I just do it Robo Recall style, I spike the controller into the wall and catch it on the rebound for an instant reload.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Adding to controller-destroying chat, while playing Gorn tonight I had the bright idea to do an arm-crossing scissor slice while wielding two blades. Third time I tried it I banged my Touch controllers together. No damage to either, but lesson learned.

As an aside, has anyone trusted their friends enough to let them demo this game?

Sure. Many dents in the wall resulted. Worth it to watch people flail around. The Vive wands are pretty robust.

Still hanging out for the Knuckles though, one of my trackpads is giving up and doesnt click properly. Anyone had this happen and maybe has a fix?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Paingod556 posted:

Sure. Many dents in the wall resulted. Worth it to watch people flail around. The Vive wands are pretty robust.

Still hanging out for the Knuckles though, one of my trackpads is giving up and doesnt click properly. Anyone had this happen and maybe has a fix?
A little rubber nub under the middle of the trackpad has fallen off. Very common issue, widely regarded as a design flaw (probably didn't help to have people punching the wall with it regularly though :v:). Can be glued back in place if you manage to open up the controller without snapping any of the tiny fragile ribbon cables or screwing up the calibration; there are videos on youtube. Covered by warranty but RMA service from HTC is garbage.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zero VGS posted:

I just do it Robo Recall style, I spike the controller into the wall and catch it on the rebound for an instant reload.

Yeah but damnit if you miss one, so its good to have the back ups.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Ralith posted:

A little rubber nub under the middle of the trackpad has fallen off. Very common issue, widely regarded as a design flaw (probably didn't help to have people punching the wall with it regularly though :v:). Can be glued back in place if you manage to open up the controller without snapping any of the tiny fragile ribbon cables or screwing up the calibration; there are videos on youtube. Covered by warranty but RMA service from HTC is garbage.

This happened to both my controllers, and I've had the Vive about a month :(. It surprised me that there was a flaw like this on something that's going to get some pretty heavy and intense use - I've got 2 new controllers coming in and haven't decided if I'm going to go the self repair or warranty route for the busted ones. Probably self repair since I'm sure it'll happen within a month on the new ones and I don't want to be dealing with HTC support on a monthly basis.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Ralith posted:

I'll give it a look. Considering I've had them 11 months I'm not worried, they've gotten used fairly heavily so I woulda put it down to wear and tear.

The wall bashing has popped the casing open a few times, but it clicks back in no worries.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

I have yet to have a fulfilling experience with VorpX. Another goon loves it but even if you can solve all the little issues and configurations you're still left with a game where your hands move with your face, which never feels great.

It's more like your gun moves with your face, though I guess that includes hands. Thing is, except for when I'm fighting enemies I normally keep the gun holstered so it's not really a major problem. Even when my gun is out, it's not a major problem. Resident Evil 7 and Alien Isolation essentially have the same problem and people love these games in VR.

Of course motion controls are always an improvement and welcome which is why I am playing New Vegas and not Fallout 4 VR nor Skyrim. I haven't played either of these games so I am sure it'll be a treat.

My New Vegas run is an almost virgin run. Back in 2010ish when the game was released I played for 34 hours and then my hard drive poo poo the bed so I lost my save game. I shelved NV until I had my Vive and vr rig. Since I knew Fallout 4 was coming out for VR I decided to buy VorpX and dust it off. Definitely one of my top VR experiences despite lack of motion controls, and I absolutely love playing VR native games like Onward, Pavlov, BAM, Star Trek, Vivecraft, Raw Data, Robo Recall, Ironwolf, etc.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 19, 2017

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

The Gasmask posted:

This happened to both my controllers, and I've had the Vive about a month :(. It surprised me that there was a flaw like this on something that's going to get some pretty heavy and intense use - I've got 2 new controllers coming in and haven't decided if I'm going to go the self repair or warranty route for the busted ones. Probably self repair since I'm sure it'll happen within a month on the new ones and I don't want to be dealing with HTC support on a monthly basis.
FWIW, after one spectacularly painful RMA process for a single controller I haven't had the issue recur. I wouldn't expect to get it every time, or even most times.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

crossposting from the PSVR thread this is like, 100x cooler than Rez, and Rez was p. cool

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I think the Pimax kickstarter is going live today not sure, but they also have revealed the ultimate mystery of how the Pimax transports all that video over a DP cable: they don't. Only accepts 1440p input per eye that is upscaled to 4k, which is still an improvement over Vive/Rift but eh. Sounds like they have a double DP board that drives the thing at full res that they might ship later on as either an option when you buy the HMD or as a DIY upgrade.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Ralith posted:

FWIW, after one spectacularly painful RMA process for a single controller I haven't had the issue recur. I wouldn't expect to get it every time, or even most times.

That's good to hear, and reassures me some. The internet effect happened when I researched it (the only people that post about it are the ones with broken controllers) so it seemed worse than it may be.

Regardless, it looks like the glue fix adds some stability, so I think I'm fine with breaking my warranty to help guarantee a longer lifespan. I also don't want to deal with awful RMA processes, so thanks for the warning.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Gonna kickstart a boomerang attachment for VR controllers and lay the throwing debate to rest once and for all

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

crossposting from the PSVR thread this is like, 100x cooler than Rez, and Rez was p. cool

:vince:

Wooahh the best game ever that seemed to have been dumpstered by Konami's beef with Kojima is not only not locked away forever, but being re-released with VR support!? Yessirrrrrrr! Dear Sony please lordy start releasing this stuff on PC, there's no way I'm shelling out to replace my PSPoor and buy a worse headset than my PC one that's already a not-quite-there-yet gen1 thing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

teh_Broseph posted:

Dear Sony please lordy start releasing this stuff on PC, there's no way I'm shelling out to replace my PSPoor and buy a worse headset than my PC one that's already a not-quite-there-yet gen1 thing.

It's confirmed for a Steam release. The only question is Vive/Rift support.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

N o i c e

homeless snail posted:

I think the Pimax kickstarter is going live today not sure, but they also have revealed the ultimate mystery of how the Pimax transports all that video over a DP cable: they don't. Only accepts 1440p input per eye that is upscaled to 4k, which is still an improvement over Vive/Rift but eh. Sounds like they have a double DP board that drives the thing at full res that they might ship later on as either an option when you buy the HMD or as a DIY upgrade.

Lmfao I knew something would be up

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuVWs9IZIvk

Sounds like it might be decent (they go into bigscreen stuff at one point and it sounds way better). I might set the $500 on fire

Edit: just the headset, since I have a vive and don't need the controllers/base stations

Lemming fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 19, 2017

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Lemming posted:

Sounds like it might be decent (they go into bigscreen stuff at one point and it sounds way better). I might set the $500 on fire

Edit: just the headset, since I have a vive and don't need the controllers/base stations

Are oculus or valve working on gen2s?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

Anyone know if I can just set up say, Oculus Touch and the cameras, and use them in conjunction with a Pimax?

Edit: Or like, it would be cool if I could use them with the Dell headset instead of the Microsoft controllers.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone know if I can just set up say, Oculus Touch and the cameras, and use them in conjunction with a Pimax?

Edit: Or like, it would be cool if I could use them with the Dell headset instead of the Microsoft controllers.

From the kickstarter it looks like only vive base stations and controllers will work with it. Bummer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Unless the headset and controllers were designed to work together, it's most likely not possible. With two different tracking systems, you would need some way to translate between them. How do you get exactly he same origin between two differently shaped devices? It might be possible to hack together something that sort of works, but it's not going to be as accurate as just using devices that are supposed to work together.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Are oculus or valve working on gen2s?

Oculus assuredly is, Valve is Valve so they'll get bored and dump it at some point. Or they might not! Nobody knows what they're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

I pledged for one of the Pimax 8K early copies, if it works for E:D then I'll never leave VR.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset

They're also selling the "8K X" which is true 4k resolution on each lens instead of upscaled 4k, with this note:
"- Only for those who own a PC with at least GTX1080ti (still testing, may need 1080Ti SLI, or the next generation graphic card e.g. Nvidia Volta), CPU i7, and 16GB memory. "
So it only works on top-of-the-line computers and even then it probably doesn't work