Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

H110Hawk posted:

Sounds like you got your money's worth! Thankfully this will eventually land on the movers insurance. The sellers are upstanding people and called (in order) an abatement company, the buyers, and both realtors. I had the timeline slightly wrong, it was the sellers who found the issue.

Ultimately it turned out okay but making any sort of claim on homeowners should be avoided if possible. This was big enough (payout of 6k after 1k deductible IIRC) that I think it was worth it but it definitely makes you a pariah in the insurance world and they will jack up your rates.

We bought a new house and are selling that house and even though we have the same coverage and the new house is much more expensive our insurance cost dropped because its in my gfs name instead of mine (my name being the one that the claim occurred under).

A few years after that plumbing problem we had another problem that ended up costing about 2800 bucks so if I'd claimed it we coulda got 1800 dollars but I decided not to. IIRC home owners insurance people hate you if you've had 1 claim in the last 5 years and if you've had two, hooo boy.

All insurance is a loving scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

This may not be the best thread for this but I'll post it here and if anyone knows a better place, thanks in advance.

~2 months ago I bought a new construction house. We used the title company they wanted to use (not sure I'd say they insisted on it but it's also not like we were presented with options). This title company sent our 214 page closing docs to a gmail address that is not my gmail address. And it is an active gmail address because immediately after it happened I tried to register it and it was taken. These docs contain literally everything about us, enough to buy a house (SS#, drivers license photocopies, work and income histories, etc). Enough to not just get a cell phone in our name but literally assume our identities entirely.

Their response was "lol it's mostly your fault because that n you wrote looked like an h but we'll take down the link to the info and pay for 1 year of credit monitoring."

The "it's your fault" is 99.9% BS IMO because even though I haven't seen a scan of what I wrote:
1. They already had my correct email address because I emailed them multiple times.
2. My email address is first initial second initial last name, so them sending it to random letter second initial last name seems pretty goddamn stupid.
3. They'd already established a pattern of being retards about it by sending a previous email to my gf that was to xxxxxxx@gmail.com instead of her actual address of xxxxxxx06@gmail.com.

Yesterday I discovered the link was still 100% active. I emailed the title company saying wtf and also called the hosting company and demanded it be removed immediately. They told me a ticket had already been opened earlier this morning to do this and said they were working on it. I'm not sure why that isn't something that could happen immediately, but whatever. But as of now, 12 hours later, the link is still active.

I guess I have two questions:

1. Is whatever low rent credit monitoring they were willing to pay for really any better than my checking creditkarma weekly/monthly?
and
2. Should I contact a lawyer?

I'm leaning against 2. They're incompetent retards but as of now my identity hasn't actually been stolen. I assume if my identity were stolen I'd have a slam dunk legal case against them (and potentially the builder and file hoster) but I'm not inherently a super litigious person and don't really want to sue someone in order to get another 5 years of credit monitoring that may or may not have any real value and will probably cost more in legal fees than it's worth.

I kind of think that the most likely outcomes are:
1. It's a registered email address but not really active. Like I have two or three gmail addies that I don't actually use.
2. Could be active but went to spam and never even seen.
3. Person got it but isn't a criminal and just lolled and then deleted it.

But there's still a small chance that I'll get completely turboidentityfucked sometime in the future, I would say.

Any advice?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got my house listed. Hopefully it's as smooth and painless as when I bought it. No sarcasm there at all either. Buying was pretty easy and stress free.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I've got an insurance question. All of my windows leaked for the past uhhh decade it looks like. Some of them don't get rain, but others have rotten sills and mold.

Total cost of the windows alone, not including labor or other materials for the sills, is in the $10,000 range.

I believe my insurance will cover this, maybe go after the previous homeowner or contractor who may or may not have installed them improperly. I have a mold clause in my insurance which makes me believe I'd be covered.

What kind of rate increase am I looking at if they pay say $10,000 to this? Double the rate? 10% increase?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I am assuming that the email they sent was with a link to access the documents? I would guess that most competent users would assume that (seeing as they have no context at all) it is some sort of phishing attempt to draw them into a malware site and not click/actually download anything. I certainly wouldn't.

As far as I know, credit monitoring isn't actually any better than manually checking your credit yourself, it just takes that burden off your plate in terms of time/effort. I have it offered through multiple fronts and it has never seemed any more detailed/responsive than just checking credit information yourself. It would be better if it actually offered some sort of identity-theft protection, if it does?

If you are concerned, something you can do is request a credit freeze, which will prevent anyone from doing anything with your information while the freeze is active. This also means that you will have to unfreeze it before you can get any new credit (cards, loans, etc.) but you've just bought a house so you're probably ok on that front? I think this is probably a good idea seeing as you have a known breach and it's mostly a question of what the person that got that link does.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Spermy Smurf posted:

I've got an insurance question. All of my windows leaked for the past uhhh decade it looks like. Some of them don't get rain, but others have rotten sills and mold.

Total cost of the windows alone, not including labor or other materials for the sills, is in the $10,000 range.

I believe my insurance will cover this, maybe go after the previous homeowner or contractor who may or may not have installed them improperly. I have a mold clause in my insurance which makes me believe I'd be covered.

What kind of rate increase am I looking at if they pay say $10,000 to this? Double the rate? 10% increase?

I don't think your insurance is going to cover any of that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
"go after the previous homeowner" lol what no that isn't going to happen.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Elephanthead posted:

I don't think your insurance is going to cover any of that.

Yeah, this is my thought as well. Review your policy but this isn't something I think is normally covered. Going after the previous homeowner (lol) or contractor (double lol) is probably a fools errand.

Welcome to home ownership. This is one of those $10k surprises everyone is always harping on. Hopefully you have a maintenance/emergency fund. Or get a loan and pay it down ASAP.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Stuff like this gets posted to the legal advice thread all the time. Basically, they're going about as far as can be expected by offering you a year of credit monitoring and taking the document offline. If you end up having identity theft issues down the road it would be worth asking them to cover your costs but as of right now nothing has happened.

Side note, it's not like they sent your information to 4chan. It is extremely, extremely unlikely that anyone would do anything with personal documents erroneously sent to them. Not just because most people aren't criminals, but because the first person the police are going to want to speak with is pretty obvious.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ashcans posted:

If you are concerned, something you can do is request a credit freeze, which will prevent anyone from doing anything with your information while the freeze is active. This also means that you will have to unfreeze it before you can get any new credit (cards, loans, etc.) but you've just bought a house so you're probably ok on that front? I think this is probably a good idea seeing as you have a known breach and it's mostly a question of what the person that got that link does.

Ask the title company to pay and file these credit freezes for you. After that you don't have any losses. Just make sure you don't sign anything releasing them from liability for the problem should anything crop up. Heck, ask them for two years of credit monitoring. It will cost them hundred of extra dollars.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

When you bought your home, you presumably had an inspection contingency. When you released that contingency, you became the owner of all of your house's defects. You can get a home warranty to cover defects like that, but it was on you to get that warranty.

Homeowner's insurance is not for building defects, it's for theft, fire, vandalism, and liability from people injured on your property. You have absolutely zero recourse here, and will have to pay for your windows and the other damage yourself.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Credit freeze is a good idea, hadn't thought of that. I'm definitely not likely to need any additional credit for years.

Thanks guys.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Does anyone have a guesstimate how much my insurance will go up if I make a claim for $15,000 or so?

I don't know what to expect. If it goes up five times it's almost not worth doing. I would just pay cash at that point. But if it only goes up by 10% or something it's fine.

Edit: I dont want to argue about what the insurance said they are going to do (and they specifically told me they'd probably go after the previous insurance and the contractors insurance) and the fact I have a mold rider on the insurance means this is almost guaranteed coverage.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
I had a $10k roof claim and I basically just lost my "no claim" discount, so 10% is about right.

The thing that will kill your rates is multiple claims. If you've had other claims (or anticipate other claims?) you may need to be more concerned.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What happens when I file a claim and then sell the house immediately?

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Depends on if your house is titled in an admiralty court. If it is then the insurance spell just fizzles because there is no target.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

My house does not create joinder, good day sir!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Internet tells me multiple mold claims will make your house cursed with demons.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Elephanthead posted:

/

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Or make it uninsurable, which is pretty much the modern equivalent.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

crazypeltast52 posted:

My house does not create joinder, good day sir!

Made me lol :)

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
House sold! :toot:

Listed at $224.9k, agreed on $220k cash offer. Less than a month until closing! Gonna need to find an apartment for a whopping 2 months which is going to be fun :suicide:

e: knowing that the roof was damaged I included that I'd be replacing it in the sale hoping insurance would help out. My deductible is $6700 so it's going to be all out of pocket :v:

fknlo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 6, 2017

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Possibly a really stupid question, but what's the downside of getting a high(er) rate mortgage and getting closing costs covered...paying that mortgage for 6 months, and then after 6 months, refinancing at a low rate?

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug
Origination fees on the refi.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's also rate risk (rates could rise till you can't get or can't afford the points to get a lower rate in the future) and credit risk (something could happen to you financially that ruins your credit score, making a refi prohibitively expensive or impossible).

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
No dealbreakers from the inspection. The roof will still be on me and they want the chimney crown fixed and they'll take my kitchen table and wine cabinet as "payment" for some of the other stuff that needs to be done. I can live with that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Waltzing Along posted:

Is now a bad time to buy in the Bay Area? It seems everything sells within a day or two but prices are also at an all-time high. It seems like prices should drop at some point, but that won't happen until demand falls off which seems to be tied to the economy being at an all time high and all that. Does anyone even know? Things are crazy out there.

I really doubt we'll see a 2008 level of price crash anytime soon in the Bay Area. Apple just completed that Spaceship building in Cupertino and Facebook also has a massive expansion in Menlo Park. Everywhere I go places are hiring which will just push house prices up even further. There's virtually no short sales or foreclosures and very few houses on the market.

My uncle got a big inheritance and it took him ten months to finally get a condo because there were so few for sale in his price range.

Everybody says there is going to be this big crash and everyone will lose their shirts but the people that didn't buy in 2010ish in the Bay Area ultimately screwed themselves over because it's just more expensive along with rents.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
Looking to buy a place and my agent takes me by one out of my preferred price range, but otherwise is fantastic for what I'm looking for, 2B1Ba with a small garage. Then I notice it's listed at 175/sq ft, where no house in a mile of it has sold for over 145, and that had pool, garage, the works. Average is 110-125. Put in an offer for far below the asking price but in line with nearby recent sales, seller doesn't even want to respond or counter. Compared to other similar places in the area I doubt it would appraise for over 180 and no one is going to buy it cash at that price, so I can't see how they imagine anyone would get a loan approved for that.

Apparently sellers agent thinks the seller is delusional and has a bad case of sunk cost fallacy, current owner picked up the place for 140k six years ago (where it was listed at 210 and stayed on the market for 14 months) and is now listing it at 240k (it's been on the market about 80 days now). My agent agrees, but I'm not sure how to get the seller to see reality on the pricing without just waiting 8 months.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Unfortunately you might just have to wait. The house I bought recently was like that. Seller wanted 400 last June despite it being 50 above nearby comps, slowly worked down to 375 by September. Took it off the market for the season, relisted this June for 370, edged down to 365 then down to 360 by the time we looked.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yep. I've watched houses around here sit on the market for literally YEARS while the creeped the price down to "appraisable". I don't understand it, but maybe it's a "I wouldn't mind moving so much but don't have to, let's throw a high price on here and see if anyone bites."

I just looked at a disappointing box of 80s sadness 2 weekends ago. It was like $75 k above everything else in the neighborhood. It was.....underwhelming at that price. Later found out from the people that I know in that neighborhood "oh yeah....that guy is nuts." This was not only or sometimes at all in relation to the home sale/pricing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
House buying would be a lot easier if people didn't attach emotions to their dang homes!!!

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Mandalay posted:

House buying would be a lot easier if people didn't attach emotions to their dang homes!!!

Of course this is an issue but in the age of Zillow and Trulia, where you can see years of price changes and previous sales, being unrealistic at the start only hurts your bargaining position and final sales price later on.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator

howdoesishotweb posted:

Of course this is an issue but in the age of Zillow and Trulia, where you can see years of price changes and previous sales, being unrealistic at the start only hurts your bargaining position and final sales price later on.

It doesn't help that Zillow factors your list price into the 'zestimate', even if it doesn't sell. So the place went from an estimated 160 to 230, re-enforcing the idea it's worth that much. I can see trying a super longshot for a cash offer but my local market doesn't really support that.

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
There's been a house on sale in my area for over a year now. I remember this property because I looked at it when I was still house hunting. It's disappeared and reappeared on realtor and zillow at least 3 times that I know of since going up on the market, so unless the seller took it off on their own 3 times for less than 2 weeks each time for some unknown reason, that means 3 buyers have made offers and for whatever reason the sale didn't go through, probably because this property has serious defects or issues. It's under 150k, and houses like that are like pure freaking gold in my area. And yet the price has not budged one cent since going up 381 days ago (according to zillow). What's with these sellers? I know it's their right to charge whatever they want, but sometimes I wonder just how people can be so stubborn. The house isn't occupied or foreclosed either, so the seller is losing money on this everyday it remains on the market. Ah well, I'm just so glad I found a place I like and was able to afford. This market is a buyer's nightmare.

Vinny the Shark fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 19, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Vinny the Shark posted:

There's been a house on sale in my area for over a year now. I remember this property because I looked at it when I was still house hunting. It's disappeared and reappeared on realtor and zillow at least 3 times that I know of since going up on the market, so unless the seller took it off on their own 3 times for less than 2 weeks each time for some unknown reason, that means 3 sellers have made offers and for whatever reason the sale didn't go through, probably because this property has serious defects or issues. It's under 150k, and houses like that are like pure freaking gold in my area. And yet the price has not budged one cent since going up 381 days ago (according to zillow). What's with these sellers? I know it's their right to charge whatever they want, but sometimes I wonder just how people can be so stubborn. The house isn't occupied or foreclosed either, so the seller is losing money on this everyday it remains on the market. Ah well, I'm just so glad I found a place I like and was able to afford. This market is a buyer's nightmare.

Have you gone and looked at it?

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
Not since I looked at it around this time last year, no. Unless something catastrophic happened, like a fire or meteor strike, I don't think anything's really changed. The pics are still the same on the sites.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Is buying points bad? I've always heard yes, but I'm looking at a points calculator showing our break even point at 2.5 years. We're planning on being in this house for a long time, and even in the worst case scenario, I can't imagine moving in less than 2 years.

Seems unlikely that rates will go much lower than the 3.375% (3.691% APR) that I'm being quoted for buying 1.291 points. So a refi in the next few years doesn't seem likely either.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Ok, I was reading the calculator wrong. The break even point is actually 8 years. That doesn't seem great.

EDIT 2: So, since I basically answered my own question, let me ask another. I'm looking at a bunch of different loan options with different amounts of points and closing costs. There are several listed with 0 points, but some have higher interest rates, and lower closing costs (due to a lender credit). I've heard the term "negative points." That's what's happening here, right? So I could compare those loans by using a points calculator, correct?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 20, 2017

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vinny the Shark posted:

And yet the price has not budged one cent since going up 381 days ago (according to zillow). What's with these sellers? I know it's their right to charge whatever they want, but sometimes I wonder just how people can be so stubborn

I believe this is covered in what I said before: "I don't really need to move so I'll wait for an over market price" or "I own this thing outright, don't live here and don't need the money so I'll wait for my price."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Grumpwagon posted:

Is buying points bad? I've always heard yes, but I'm looking at a points calculator showing our break even point at 2.5 years. We're planning on being in this house for a long time, and even in the worst case scenario, I can't imagine moving in less than 2 years.

Seems unlikely that rates will go much lower than the 3.375% (3.691% APR) that I'm being quoted for buying 1.291 points. So a refi in the next few years doesn't seem likely either.

What am I missing?

EDIT: Ok, I was reading the calculator wrong. The break even point is actually 8 years. That doesn't seem great.

EDIT 2: So, since I basically answered my own question, let me ask another. I'm looking at a bunch of different loan options with different amounts of points and closing costs. There are several listed with 0 points, but some have higher interest rates, and lower closing costs (due to a lender credit). I've heard the term "negative points." That's what's happening here, right? So I could compare those loans by using a points calculator, correct?

Yes you can sell points the same as buying them but they are even more expensive. Get everything on a Loan Estimate (hud form) then compare total cost. Ask other companies to match things you like. Often they will magically lower the bullshit costs just by asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Every year or so I stumble into this thread, wondering if it's time for me to buy a new home. The OP always convinces me that the answer is no.

Thanks thread for preventing bad decisions!