Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Yaws posted:

You're one sick son of a bitch. Glad I don't know you irl.

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Part of loving horror is being a sick fucker.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Part of loving horror is being a sick fucker.

Have you seen A Serbian Film?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. I dunno. It came off as more silly than truly hosed up.

Just too over the top to take seriously.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Yaws posted:

I'm going to be the wuss of the thread and state that the graphic depiction of Georgie losing his arm was too far. I don't need to see a 6 year old boy get his arm bitten off and then watch him crying in pain as he tries in vain to get away with a lopped off arm.

Too far. Too much. Bad taste.

I thought it was not only gripping and startling to see (I know I wasn't expecting the film to show all that), but it also set the stakes for the rest of the film. It isn't a monster that will wink and fade to black because there are children on screen, saving its scares for the adults of the world, this is a monster that is vicious, violent, and unfair to children. Obviously if you know the book you know what will happen, but as a film on its own, and without prior knowledge, it really hits home from the first note that none of these characters are safe just because they're children in a movie. The movie doesn't care that they are only kids and it wants you to know it will tear them apart if it wants, so watch out for your favorite character.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

These horror movies need more safe spaces.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

"No Richie, she wasn't hot." is the best line in the movie. Such great delivery.

I'm a big baby who hates horror movies but I liked this one a lot. The volume practically rattled my bones apart at times, and I think some of the CGI looked a little touchy, but man there was some great imagery. It using "Georgie" like an angler fish was really great. I think It was at It's scariest when he(?) was taunting the kids and dancing, and less so when he was just running around and screeching, but overall a relly fun movie.

Anyway thanks for reading friends.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Whoa, whoa, violence and disturbing content in a HORROR movie?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So get this...its a horror movie..about a clown that terrorizes and eats kids.

Are any kids hurt in the movie?

God no!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I think the only part that that made me jump a bit was the very telegraphed clown room scene. When Pennywise jumps out of the coffin to gave me a spook.

I wish I had the time/money to see this again.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

So get this...its a horror movie..about a clown that terrorizes and eats kids.

Are any kids hurt in the movie?

God no!!

BrendianaJones posted:

Whoa, whoa, violence and disturbing content in a HORROR movie?

The TV movie from 1990 handled it better!

Amazing, innit!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The TV movie sucks except for the 5 minutes Curry is on screen.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

The TV movie sucks

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Dude if you're freaking about that you better just be thankful that It wasn't a more faithful adaptation of the book. In the book that kid Patrick was eaten alive while trapped inside a refrigerator - in very graphic detail. One of the characters they mentioned in a missing poster has an artery in his neck severed while reaching for the back of the monster for a zipper, before getting decapitated. This movie was campy compared to the source material.

If violent scenes involving children is going to somehow upset you then maybe you shouldn't watch a movie that's specifically marketed as a violent movie where a clown kills children.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

Dude if you're freaking about that you better just be thankful that It wasn't a more faithful adaptation of the book. In the book that kid Patrick was eaten alive while trapped inside a refrigerator - in very graphic detail. One of the characters they mentioned in a missing poster has an artery in his neck severed while reaching for the back of the monster for a zipper, before getting decapitated. This movie was campy compared to the source material.

If violent scenes involving children is going to somehow upset you then maybe you shouldn't watch a movie that's specifically marketed as a violent movie where a clown kills children.

Yeah yeah yeah, I've read the book bro

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So you read the book; you saw the movie... and you're upset about the scene in the movie with Georgie?

It wasn't even that graphic, man, are you concern trolling or something? I've seen worse depictions of violence in PG movies.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
He is very obviously trolling.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He is very obviously trolling.
This

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. I dunno. It came off as more silly than truly hosed up.

Just too over the top to take seriously.

Yeah the special effects were pretty hilarious at times. I appreciated it for what it was, but I didn't think it was some awful sin against film making.

Also lol concern trolling about a kid dying in an R rated main stream movie. That scene was the honestly the most shocking and effective scene in the movie. You feel awful about Georgie and you quickly establish the threat of the monster.

It was good.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

So you read the book; you saw the movie... and you're upset about the scene in the movie with Georgie?

It wasn't even that graphic, man, are you concern trolling or something? I've seen worse depictions of violence in PG movies.

What the gently caress is gained by showing Georgie get his arm bitten off? Or him writhing on the ground desperately trying to get away from his attacker? This is a six year old kid.

Christ, sorry is I found this a little off putting. I guess It's trolling to idiots.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 19, 2017

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought Georgie being swayed by fear of Bill's reaction was actually better than the book depiction of the same scene where he was just convinced the clown wasn't a threat. Most film discrepancies from the book seemed to be a concession to the limits of film, but that was a great subtle tweak that actually added to the story.

By contrast Bill not knowing/accepting Georgie was dead and the cutting of his family's reaction was a disservice to Bill's narrative in my opinion.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yaws posted:

Yeah yeah yeah, I've read the book bro

Get out of the thread if you're not going to contribute. You're not funny or cute.

The slideshow scene really great all around but why did Pennywise stop before reaching the kids? There was enough time before they opened the door.
I get that IT's trying to marinate them in fear. However, lots of the other deaths are pretty much right away. Makes me think that the others were snacks and he wants all the Losers for a banquet.
Perhaps he wants to be more active this cycle and stay out longer.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yaws posted:

What the gently caress is gained by showing Georgie get his arm bitten off? Or him writhing on the ground desperately trying to get away from his attacker? This is a six year old kid.

You immediately understand the threat of the antagonist and hate himIT?

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 19, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Speaking of graphic violence against children in film, its such a rare thing for a horror movie to treat children in them as acceptable victims that the sewer scene in the 80's Blob remake always blew me away. You just don't expect kids to get killed, and then bam not only is his friend sucked under the water by the blob, but he shoots back out with the blob all over him digesting him, melting him. What a great scene.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You immediately understand the threat of the antagonist and hate him?

Effective film making 101.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

You immediately understand the threat of the antagonist and hate him?

Imagine this. They cut to IT lunging at Gerogie and he screams. Later on, a character informs us that IT ripped off the kids arm.

Is that not good enough for you? Do you really need to ACTUALLY SEE a six year olds arm being ripped off?

Christ, a little subtlety goes a long loving way.

But no, imagination and filling in the blanks is out the door. We need to see this poo poo! I want to SEE a six year old writing in pain! I'm hardcore goddammit!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

Christ, sorry is I found this a little off putting. I guess It's trolling to idiots.

Apropos of nothing, the reason minors are barred from viewing content like this is because they can't make an informed estimation of how media will influence or affect them, not because the media is itself dangerous.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yaws posted:

Imagine this. They cut to IT lunging at Gerogie and he screams. Later on, a character informs us that IT ripped off the kids arm.

Is that not good enough for you? Do you really need to ACTUALLY SEE a six year olds arm being ripped off?

My needs don't factor into this. The simple truth is that what they chose to show is how they want you to react, and the more they (effectively) show, the more visceral reaction most people are going to have.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Inzombiac posted:

Get out of the thread if you're not going to contribute. You're not funny or cute.

The slideshow scene really great all around but why did Pennywise stop before reaching the kids? There was enough time before they opened the door.
I get that IT's trying to marinate them in fear. However, lots of the other deaths are pretty much right away. Makes me think that the others were snacks and he wants all the Losers for a banquet.
Perhaps he wants to be more active this cycle and stay out longer.

I might be wrong but I think It only kills near the sewer? Like just before the giant Pennywise, they're showing that the major tragedies and killings matched up with the sewer lines, so maybe, while Its influence extends all over town, Its actual reach is limited to openings near the water system. I'm trying to think of an actual death that doesn't happen near the sewer, but I've only seen It twice.

Specifically the scene in the flooded basement got me thinking this. How Pennywise just flops and slides back like he's on the end of somebody's arm. Like It can't go too far from Its tunnels. I think this is also the only scene where we see Pennywise and the characters don't, is this what happens every time the kids run away? I would love to think so.

Also, anybody notice that brief shot of a painting of a well in a field, and a woman holding a baby standing next to it? So much stuff is loaded into that picture.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 19, 2017

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I NEED GRAPHIC DEPICTIONS OF CHILDHOOD DISMEMBERMENT AND MURDER!

SUBTLETY? IMPLICATION? NOT WORDS IN MY VOCABULARY!

BLUNT VIOLENCE! THAT'S ALL I UNDSERSTAND

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Yaws posted:

Richie: He killed the Youngling.
Edds: But he lives in a sewer, so we have the high ground.
Bill: yuyuyuuse more expupupusition in place of visuals we muhmust.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Yaws posted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

You're whining more than the kid who got his arm bitten off by a cosmic alien clown

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
"Tell, don't show," squeaked the goon, before thinking of ants and passing out.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Yaws posted:

Subtlety isn't inherently a virtue.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

But what if, instead of seeing the horror, the characters just talked about it instead?

- a moron, a cretin, a buffoon

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The scene also did a really good job of characterizing the clown. When he reaches like five or six feet out into the street to grab the kid and pull him back into the sewer it confirms that he could have grabbed Georgie at any time he wanted and he was basically just playing with his food.

It establishes that he's sadistic, not just a mindless predator. He wanted to fool Georgie. He wanted to use love of Bill as a weapon and emotionally manipulate his victim. That aspect of his personality is a crucial thing to establish. I don't know if it was an intentional theme in the movie but it seemed to me like Pennywise playing with his food is what allowed the Losers' Club to ultimately win.

This is another thing that I thought was better in the film than the book. In the book Pennywise has to resort to exposition to explain how he underestimated the kids - while talking to Henry through Victor. Here it's portrayed visually throughout the film. The body language for Pennywise after all of the scenes with the children in the Losers' Club - and particularly with Bill- is a kind of sarcastic "aww shucks" when they "escape."

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Why is there a delineation made between the book and its filmed adaption? If anything, the book is even more graphic, as Georgie is discovered by a passerby and it goes into great detail about the polished white knob of bone sticking out of his shoulder, and water pooling into his open dead eyes. The horrible violence inflicted on children in IT is a deliberate choice by Stephen King, and by extension Andy Muschietti. It's taboo and it's disturbing, and that's what makes it fertile ground for a horror story. Whether that also makes said story vulgar or exploitive is up to individual interpretation, but it can't be denied that it's in the DNA of the material, and therefore shouldn't be surprising that it shows up in the film.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 19, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Yaws posted:

Ah yes, it seems you have also seen the recent hit film "Spooky Clown Movie" in 2017. Welcome.

CelticPredator posted:

You're whining more than the kid who got his arm bitten off by a cosmic alien clown

:vince:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I can see where Yaws is coming from. (I was sort of saying it a few pages back.) For me, the scene wasn't scary, just gratuitous. But not gratuitous enough to make any sort of impact with its gratuity. It was weird for me, just this bit of sanitized CGI child mutilation that felt neither artful or truly shocking. Maybe I've just seen too many movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
If anything I think Mimic had the most horrible and gut-wrenching on-screen child death I've ever seen, the blob comes close as a kid gets dragged into it and then jumps out a screaming skeleton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNzRTgiHLCc

• Locked thread