Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/909977249843003392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
goon project to make Mike Mearls recreate a Warlord

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

sleepy.eyes posted:

Okay, so in the game in playing right now, my fighter lost his hand. He is a mercenary, and one of his comrades, and a friend, was captured by vampires. It was some big blood feast and a Big Deal for the vampire aristocracy. If we were dumb enough to start a fight in the middle of their fortress (which we we attending as ambassadors) we would just get literally eaten alive. His solution as how to save his buddy is to offer his blood to the edge of death (as they are under diplomatic protection, and this was freely given in barter) and his shield hand. The DM apparently didn't expect my character to make this sort of debilitating deal, and so we went with it but aren't sure how to treat the wound. I would figure disadvantage on a could things ideally requiring 2 hands, but what else do yall think would be appropriate?

It was pretty funny to hear everyone screaming in character about WHAT IN THE FLYING gently caress IS GOING ON WHY IS THE QUEEN EATING CASSIUS' HAND?

That seems fine to me. You'd probably be able to still strap a shield on to be usable. Maybe make it take longer to get into armor unaided too. If you're dealing with vampires guessing you're pretty high level, so getting it cured magically isn't going to be a big deal once you're out of vampire land.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

goon project to make Mike Mearls recreate a Warlord

im spiritually all for it but i am pretty sure mearls is going to gently caress it up

fake edit: also i dont want to give him money

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can the entire forum qualify as plural "you and you alone"?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone have any recommendations on one of the two dozen android apps I see on the app store? Just looking for spellbook/ spell for use at the table and maybe a character tracker. It'd be nice if it spits out a full character sheet I can print and update but that's not really super necessary.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked up a copy of Tomb of Annihilation and have been leafing through it over lunch. It reads well so far, and I'm excited to get a game of it going with my group.

For some reason it amuses me especially that its plot is kicked off by Acererak finding an undead god fetus while doing the archlich equivalent of channel surfing and thinking "How can I get this project off the ground while inflicting maximum planetary suffering and trolling adventurers simultaneously?"

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

SettingSun posted:

I picked up a copy of Tomb of Annihilation and have been leafing through it over lunch. It reads well so far, and I'm excited to get a game of it going with my group.

For some reason it amuses me especially that its plot is kicked off by Acererak finding an undead god fetus while doing the archlich equivalent of channel surfing and thinking "How can I get this project off the ground while inflicting maximum planetary suffering and trolling adventurers simultaneously?"

And now I need to make an entire dungeon out of nothing but terrible infomercial/mail-order catalog monsters.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Open with a bunch of grey dwarves who keep falling over, cutting themselves with their own swords, dropping their weapons, getting tangled up in armor. There's got to be a better way!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Acererak is basically a parody of himself. The adventure, despite its open ended nature, is actually tightly focused. That focus is not to (permanently) kill Acererak. The book more or less says he's too good for chump adventurers like you.

Another fun thing I just found: Volo is in Chult and will sell players a copy of Volo's Guide to Monsters in game. You can use it as a free check to learn about monsters, as long as they're written about in the bestiary. (You might think this could be problematic if you don't own that book, but the relevant monsters are reprinted in the adventure for posterity.)

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

sleepy.eyes posted:

Okay, so in the game in playing right now, my fighter lost his hand. He is a mercenary, and one of his comrades, and a friend, was captured by vampires. It was some big blood feast and a Big Deal for the vampire aristocracy. If we were dumb enough to start a fight in the middle of their fortress (which we we attending as ambassadors) we would just get literally eaten alive. His solution as how to save his buddy is to offer his blood to the edge of death (as they are under diplomatic protection, and this was freely given in barter) and his shield hand. The DM apparently didn't expect my character to make this sort of debilitating deal, and so we went with it but aren't sure how to treat the wound. I would figure disadvantage on a couple things ideally requiring 2 hands, but what else do yall think would be appropriate?

It was pretty funny to hear everyone screaming in character about WHAT IN THE FLYING gently caress IS GOING ON WHY IS THE QUEEN EATING CASSIUS' HAND?

I think it would be appropriate for you to become a mythical king at this point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuada_Airgetl%C3%A1m

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SettingSun posted:

Acererak is basically a parody of himself. The adventure, despite its open ended nature, is actually tightly focused. That focus is not to (permanently) kill Acererak. The book more or less says he's too good for chump adventurers like you.

Another fun thing I just found: Volo is in Chult and will sell players a copy of Volo's Guide to Monsters in game. You can use it as a free check to learn about monsters, as long as they're written about in the bestiary. (You might think this could be problematic if you don't own that book, but the relevant monsters are reprinted in the adventure for posterity.)

I found a fun thing that was said about that is pretty much that Acererak sets up a dungeon in one of the worlds he goes to, pretty much puts up a sign that says here be treasure/macguffin then leaves it for people to die to. The only reason he takes more of interest in this dungeon right now is that he set up his latest evil plan there.

I also enjoy Valindra showing up, remember fighting her in Neverwinter.

NachtSieger posted:

im spiritually all for it but i am pretty sure mearls is going to gently caress it up

fake edit: also i dont want to give him money

Well you are not giving him money you are giving the charity extra life money. Funny enough one of the first tweets about that is if they could have Crawford do it instead and he just straight up says sure I will ask him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 19, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
quote is not edit.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well you are not giving him money you are giving the charity extra life money. Funny enough one of the first tweets about that is if they could have Crawford do it instead and he just straight up says sure I will ask him.

I agree that it's pretty funny how loving stupid Mearls is.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I finally got around to reading up on paladins; thematically I'm really intrigued by the idea of, as a feypact warlock, taking enough levels in paladin for the oath of the ancients.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Trebuchet King posted:

I finally got around to reading up on paladins; thematically I'm really intrigued by the idea of, as a feypact warlock, taking enough levels in paladin for the oath of the ancients.

Three levels for Pact of the Tome nets you Shillelagh that keys off Charisma. You still need Strength 13 to multiclass but having your melee attacks, Eldritch Blast, Aura of Protection, and spell DCs all key off a single stat is pretty nice.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Funny enough one of the first tweets about that is if they could have Crawford do it instead and he just straight up says sure I will ask him.

Straight up laughed out loud at this. Like I would genuinely show enthusiasm if a Warlord class god made but I just imagine their is absolute zero change given how they've gone very much out of their way to exclude that kind of concept.

Serf posted:

I agree that it's pretty funny how loving stupid Mearls is.

I will never forget 'roll wisdom check to start the game' *everyone fails*

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

I will never forget 'roll wisdom check to start the game' *everyone fails*

Even at the very start of a new campaign there's lots of fun ways to proceed from "everyone fails a wisdom check".

"Roll again until someone succeeds" isn't one of them though. Even that, on camera, could be an endearing first-time-DMing "I made a mistake and won't do that again" moment, except it's the lead designer trying to showcase a new product.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 20, 2017

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Even at the very start of a new campaign there's lots of fun ways to proceed from "everyone fails a wisdom check".

"Roll again until someone succeeds" isn't one of them though. Even that, on camera, could be an endearing first-time-DMing "I made a mistake and won't do that again" moment, except it's the lead designer trying to showcase a new product.

Yeah exactly, it's not that someone did it at all (most gm's have probably done it) it's just a really hilarious set up as one of, if not the first live runs of it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I had a really fun session yesterday with my players finding an underground aberration meat factory. I think they liked it even though they are driven to suicide like moths to a flame

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 20, 2017

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What is this, that mearls did, that doesn't work until someone passes a wisdom save? What's a live run?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It was like one of the first public demonstrations of 5e on a stream.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Krinkle posted:

What is this, that mearls did, that doesn't work until someone passes a wisdom save? What's a live run?

Yeah it was basically take a wisdom check to learn about rumours of something going on and they couldnt pass the check and until they learn't the rumour they literally couldn't learn the plot hook to start the adventure and learn where to go. It took like 3 rounds of wisdom checks for someone to pass and mearls is just floundering trying to come up with excuses for them to all roll again.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 20, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:psyduck: Who's rear end did he kiss to become lead designer?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Yeah it was basically take a wisdom check to learn about rumours of something going on and they couldnt pass the check and until they learn't the rumour they literally couldn't learn the plot hook to start the adventure and learn where to go. It took like 3 rounds of wisdom checks for someone to pass and mearls just trying to come up with excuses for them to all roll again.

This is a good case for asserting that, yes, you really do need to write the GUMSHOE system to tell the GM to please just loving give the clue to the players.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oh I was wondering if it was the start to out of the abyss and you are all beholder slaves but the first person to pass a wisdom save gets to start a jail break/have agency.

I don't know what out of the abyss is about but this is how I tried to make sense of starting an adventure with rolling wisdom saves over and over.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a good case for asserting that, yes, you really do need to write the GUMSHOE system to tell the GM to please just loving give the clue to the players.

It's kind of amazing that my literal first session of game testing I managed to point out that you should never ever gate your plot behind a skill check or non-combat challenge of any kind. Always have some route forward or fail forward system past these.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The rumour with WotC has always been that there was constant internal politics going on during 3.x and 4e days and Mearls somehow went from a developer to lead during 4e's duration so who knows really.

Krinkle posted:

Oh I was wondering if it was the start to out of the abyss and you are all beholder slaves but the first person to pass a wisdom save gets to start a jail break/have agency.

I don't know what out of the abyss is about but this is how I tried to make sense of starting an adventure with rolling wisdom saves over and over.

No the start of out of the abyss is a mess a whole different kind of mess as its classic adventure module format that just loads up on lots and lots of trivial information you largely won't use but is nice to have in case it comes up BUT fails to actually give you a reason or set up for any of the set up to matter to the players without a tonne of extra work from the GM.

Out of the Abyss straight gives you 'drow backstabbing leads to one of them freeing you to make someone look bad, when you fail the surprisingly detailed NPCs locked up with you start dying but unless the GM is a scrub or is intentionally murderous you make it out of the camp regardless' set up which is actually genuinely nice to see.

This wisdom roll was back in the early version of the game where you didn't have skills but just skill categories or general groups that could give a bonus if you had one relevant to the situation you are rolling in. The roll was 'you wonder around the town and try and heat rumours of strange poo poo going on recently'.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 20, 2017

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

So, are we just gonna not talk about dino racing

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nihilarian posted:

So, are we just gonna not talk about dino racing

It's awesome.

Edit cause I am a nice guy. I will preview the Dino Racing rules for you all who don't own the book.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dino Racing

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm I thought the check might have been one of the early playtest adventures,. set at level 12 or something, where to even get into the dungeon where the adventure took place you had to make an Int check or something to decipher some runes to figure it out. These were dwarven runes so you might have had to actually be able to read dwarven to do it. Also I think if you got the translation you might be able to figure it out of character, not sure if that would be allowed to actually solve it though.

This was back when Monks got an at will move action teleport at 12th level, which was cool. Also there were fights where failing a save could leave much of the party incapable of action. I remember fighting some zombies or ghouls or something that paralyzed on hit, my monk kept passing saves and the other two players kept failing. The enemy was practically immune to the bludgeoning damage of my fists, but I could use Ki to shoot some flames that hurt them, my AC was practically unhittable because of the interaction of class features and a few magic items that worked differently back then and it was basically just well two players could not pass the save to be able to act while the undead flailed about trying to hurt me and I flailed about doing little to the undead.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

kingcom posted:

Yeah it was basically take a wisdom check to learn about rumours of something going on and they couldnt pass the check and until they learn't the rumour they literally couldn't learn the plot hook to start the adventure and learn where to go. It took like 3 rounds of wisdom checks for someone to pass and mearls is just floundering trying to come up with excuses for them to all roll again.

This kinda stuff is what bugs me in 5e. There have been so many times of people whose dice just don't work. We're in an Inn or whatever, we're trying to advance the story, and there is something there that we all know is there, we just don't know what. So we're all doing these checks but rolling 1s and 2s.

Starfinder, and I think Pathfinder all have a "Take 10" and "Take 20" which basically adds 10 or 20 to your roll in situations where you're casually looking around and not in the middle of a tense situation. It just makes a whole lot of sense. 5e needs something like this badly. Maybe this was from all the way back from 3.5? I don't know, but it seems like something every game should have.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dino Racing

One of the hour long intro Adventure League adventures for this season has everyone racing each other on velociraptors. It was... Different. They marked out on sheets where everyone was.

Oddly enough, Starfinder has you all pod racing in the openers as well.

The games are evolving and trying new things.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Sep 20, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
3.0 had that stuff for sure. I would be ready to roll with wisdom failures at the outset though. The party follows a false lead and earns someone's wrath, needlessly. That act ends up haunting them for the whole campaign/act/whatever.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm I thought the check might have been one of the early playtest adventures,. set at level 12 or something, where to even get into the dungeon where the adventure took place you had to make an Int check or something to decipher some runes to figure it out. These were dwarven runes so you might have had to actually be able to read dwarven to do it. Also I think if you got the translation you might be able to figure it out of character, not sure if that would be allowed to actually solve it though.

"Players fail a check that gates the rest of the adventure, roll repeatedly until they pass" happened in (at least) two different streams/casts/whatever during the playtest.

I'm pretty sure one was Mearls DMing for the penny arcade guys, and I'm somewhat sure he was the DM for the other one too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

3.0 had that stuff for sure. I would be ready to roll with wisdom failures at the outset though. The party follows a false lead and earns someone's wrath, needlessly. That act ends up haunting them for the whole campaign/act/whatever.

Right at the start of a game, I'd probably play a "discover rumors" fail as someone thinking the party is the subject of one of the rumors. That'll either start the ball rolling on something to check out after some roleplaying, or they'll try to fight. You can either let that happen or do something like have the guards break it up and the captain yell at everyone and then be lenient and fine them 2 silvers because everyone's on edge because of <exposition>.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 20, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Philthy posted:

This kinda stuff is what bugs me in 5e. There have been so many times of people whose dice just don't work. We're in an Inn or whatever, we're trying to advance the story, and there is something there that we all know is there, we just don't know what. So we're all doing these checks but rolling 1s and 2s.

Starfinder, and I think Pathfinder all have a "Take 10" and "Take 20" which basically adds 10 or 20 to your roll in situations where you're casually looking around and not in the middle of a tense situation. It just makes a whole lot of sense. 5e needs something like this badly. Maybe this was from all the way back from 3.5? I don't know, but it seems like something every game should have.

Take 10 and Take 20 were 3rd Edition gameplay mechanics, yes.

If you're not in any immediate danger, make a check as if you rolled a 10.

If you're not in any immediate danger and you're willing to spend some time, make a check as if you rolled a 20, and it takes 20 times as long as it normally does.

Even just these features would resolve a lot of issues, except 5e dropped them because it was more rules and more page-space, which is no bueno when you're trying to make a "streamlined, rules-lite" game.

But without understanding why those rules were in the first place, all they did was hobble the game further by blowing a mechanical hole in it.

In much the same way, you can't delay your turn in 5e, when you could back in 3e. When questioned about this, the dev response was that it would allow people to gently caress with durations and timings, since they're based on when peoples's turns end.

3e and 4e avoided that issue by "bookmarking" the times when effects would start and end against your original initiative ... but again 5e never bothered because it was a bunch of paragraphs and rules that they didn't want to write copy-paste!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Philthy posted:

The important thing to think about here is that this circumstance simply shouldn't appear period. You never lock down a plot behind a skill check, you never gate information that is critical to advancing with no alternative and most importantly you never have the players roll dice unless something interesting can happen if they fail.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The most popular roleplaying game in the world is an afterthought compared to WotC's main business. Roleplaying games are so low-margin that you have to love them at an irrational level to want to make writing them your full-time job, which leads to brain drain in terms of design and innovation.

Hence we have publishers continuing to make games on a 17-year-old rules chassis and we're still having problems getting good web tools (with almost no worthwhile tools that aren't third-party).

quote:

"Roll to advance plot" is not a roll people should make. Among other reasons, never make people roll for something if nothing interesting would happen on a failure.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

In much the same way, you can't delay your turn in 5e, when you could back in 3e. When questioned about this, the dev response was that it would allow people to gently caress with durations and timings, since they're based on when peoples's turns end.

3e and 4e avoided that issue by "bookmarking" the times when effects would start and end against your original initiative ... but again 5e never bothered because it was a bunch of paragraphs and rules that they didn't want to write copy-paste!

Can you explain the bolded bit further? I've got tiredbrain and I can't figure out exactly what you mean.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AlphaDog posted:

Can you explain the bolded bit further? I've got tiredbrain and I can't figure out exactly what you mean.

Round 1, Bob is at initiative 20, and is ahead of Dave at initiative 15.

Bob activates an effect that lasts until the end of Bob's next turn, and affects both Bob and Dave.

Dave then takes his turn

Round 2, Bob says he'll delay his turn to initiative 14, after Dave.

The effect still ends at the end of initiative 20, and not literally at the end of Bob's delayed turn, lest Dave get to benefit from the effect twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Was really hoping ToA would give a few more higher level beast options (dino's or 4 armed monkeys) for polymorph versatility and S&Gs, but I understand why T-rex and Grape Ape are the upper limits for that spell.