Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tekken has its Treasure Mode where you can wallop really dumb bots and they shower you with new outfits and customization options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

One of my favorite things about Dragon's Dogma is The Black Cat and all the strange poo poo you can get up to with the forgery system, you can pay them to make a perfect copy of just about any item in the game with the caveat that forgeries of magical items don't have their magical properties. Most obvious use of it is just to duplicate rare stuff so you don't have to farm, but you can also forge quest items to take both branches when a quest gives you a choice or take that junk into new game+/speedrun mode and sequence break and skip everything.

The best part about The Black Cat though is that magical item caveat, it doesn't stop you from forging magic items they just don't do poo poo, and the game acknowledges that in all sorts of ways from funny animations when you try to use the item to quest NPCs making assholes of themselves when they try to use your lovely forgery. Its totally unnecessary but flavor like that is what makes Dragon's Dogma's world so well realized

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
someone got me to look back at the old secret of evermore ed kann hoax thing from 2010 and what i've gathered from it is that that weird old secret of evermore commercial kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEu8wDAQuDk

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Oh man, if Mass Effect had a quick appearance change system I'd have had a different Shepard in every cutscene.

That's one thing that sticks in my mind about Mass Effect 1 on PC too - the character creator had really bad lighting so my dude looked completely different in the actual game.

I wonder how many Shepards were aborted in the womb immediately after the heroic face reveal in the opening moments of the game when the camera swivels around to show the hideous monster you spent the last 30 minutes creating.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I downloaded X-Com UFO Defense & X-Com Terror From The Deep and am trying to learn them.

I used to sit and watch my brother play for hours as a kid but only really understood the death sounds until the Firaxis remake of XCOM came out taught me more of the base building aspects and research stuff. The differences in the old games and the new one are pretty huge apparently. Not in a "new games suck" sort of way, just a "wow they went a good, but different path for things" kind of deal.

Edit - I'm also getting pretty excited for Total War Warhammer II. Mostly because I can play the best race ever, the Skaven and eat my captives so my people don't die of hunger.

Sadly it comes out one day before I'm on a two week vacation full of beaches, SCUBA diving, and sleeping.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 19, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I wonder how many Shepards were aborted in the womb immediately after the heroic face reveal in the opening moments of the game when the camera swivels around to show the hideous monster you spent the last 30 minutes creating.

The real problem was that the first game never let you preview the face from the actual diagonal angle you'd be seeing all the time in conversations, so you had no way to know you'd accidentally created this until you said "yeah that's good" and loaded into the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

TIL Panzer Dragoon has a PC port

Ah, you watched the latest LGR as well?

I just learned that too. There were a few games he mentioned that I'm surprised aren't on steam. I can only assume it's a windows compatibility thing.

e:

Unfunny Poster posted:

I downloaded X-Com UFO Defense & X-Com Terror From The Deep and am trying to learn them.

I used to sit and watch my brother play for hours as a kid but only really understood the death sounds until the Firaxis remake of XCOM came out taught me more of the base building aspects and research stuff. The differences in the old games and the new one are pretty huge apparently. Not in a "new games suck" sort of way, just a "wow they went a good, but different path for things" kind of deal.

Make sure you play with openXCOM, it fixes a lot of bugs and lets you toggle various quality of life things that make the original xcom games easier to handle.

I also suggest messing with your starting base because the starting base they give you is bad but idk if you'd want me to spoil the reasons why it is a bad base layout.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
my first xcom game was terror for the deep

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Digirat posted:

The real problem was that the first game never let you preview the face from the actual diagonal angle you'd be seeing all the time in conversations, so you had no way to know you'd accidentally created this until you said "yeah that's good" and loaded into the game.

the sequel to neverhood is shaping up to be a monster

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

my first xcom game was terror for the deep

I'm so sorry.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

It's such a shame how messy and overly difficulty terror from the deep is compared to how amazing its aesthetic and atmosphere manages to be.

In a parallel world, one where I'm not a lazy poo poo, I will have gotten off my rear end and actually made the openxcom mod sequel to terror from the deep that follows up on terror's poo poo ending and acts as a way to incorporate the last of the 3 major conspiracy invasion types: hollow earth. UFO Defense was aliens from outer space/Mars, Terror from the Deep was aliens from the deep sea/cthulhu myth, just gotta make a third one set before Apocalypse that is about the hollow earth and its inhabitants waking up and declaring war on the surface in the wake of the destruction of t'leth in terror from the deep.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I agree that botstomps can be a pretty fun way to unwind when you're stressed out. But I saw the word bunnyhop and my mind locked onto "that phoon video was pretty good" for a minute or so.

I wonder if the yearly cycle of games like CoD also contributed to no bots? If you could play multi against bots you might not immediately upgrade to next year's version with the rest of the playerbase.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah, you watched the latest LGR as well?

I just learned that too. There were a few games he mentioned that I'm surprised aren't on steam. I can only assume it's a windows compatibility thing.

e:

Make sure you play with openXCOM, it fixes a lot of bugs and lets you toggle various quality of life things that make the original xcom games easier to handle.

I also suggest messing with your starting base because the starting base they give you is bad but idk if you'd want me to spoil the reasons why it is a bad base layout.

Yeah I downloaded OpenXcom on my brothers advice.

I kind of know the story a little but if you want to shoot me a PM with the reason why that's cool.

FirstAidKite posted:

It's such a shame how messy and overly difficulty terror from the deep is compared to how amazing its aesthetic and atmosphere manages to be.

In a parallel world, one where I'm not a lazy poo poo, I will have gotten off my rear end and actually made the openxcom mod sequel to terror from the deep that follows up on terror's poo poo ending and acts as a way to incorporate the last of the 3 major conspiracy invasion types: hollow earth. UFO Defense was aliens from outer space/Mars, Terror from the Deep was aliens from the deep sea/cthulhu myth, just gotta make a third one set before Apocalypse that is about the hollow earth and its inhabitants waking up and declaring war on the surface in the wake of the destruction of t'leth in terror from the deep.

Terror From The Deep was cool to me because it was the sequel and the devs were like ÖK we're making this stupidly harder because :xcom:

I wish I knew how to do mods and stuff. Seems like it'd be fun but I'm also very lazy.

I also am kind of sad that while Firaxis have done pretty well with XCOM, their Civilization series has stagnated and kind of become more poo poo. Civ V was good with Gods & Kings, but I've been told Civ VI is just all kinds of problematic (especially the singleplayer AI being incredibly bad).

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 19, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah I downloaded OpenXcom on my brothers advice.

I kind of know the story a little but if you want to shoot me a PM with the reason why that's cool.

Eh, no reason for a PM, it's not a major story thing. It's just that when aliens inevitably attempt to invade your base of operations, there are only specific rooms they can enter your base through. They can enter in through any of the hangars or the elevator. The starting base's layout has the hangars arranged in a triangular formation with the elevator towards the middle so if that base gets attacked, your fight is gonna be harder because your troops will be dealing with enemies coming at you from multiple fronts. Ideally you'll want to build a base in such a way as to funnel the enemies down narrow paths so that you can handle them more easily instead of worrying about them sneaking up on you.

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Base_Layout_Strategy

e: As for openxcom mods, my understanding is that modding it (at least, according to what the goon who made openxcom told me) is more or less just changing graphics, changing text, changing numbers, and changing encounters around. Since everything is open source, you can modify everything pretty easily. I know there is some other full conversion openxcom campaign thing called the pirate mod or something like that, so I know people have made fully original campaigns with the open source version.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 19, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I like how one of the deadliest enemies in the Xcom series is a lobster with a gun.

VVV Its probably because the old Xcom games weren't afraid to kill your soldiers instantly with you being able to do basically nothing about it.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 19, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also like how the older X-Com games have a far better way of instilling dread and despair in you than the recent ones. I have no idea how the old games make me feel more tense but the new ones just kind of don't hit that same feeling for me.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

I also like how the older X-Com games have a far better way of instilling dread and despair in you than the recent ones. I have no idea how the old games make me feel more tense but the new ones just kind of don't hit that same feeling for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6a7v7QgSs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiVUXCp8_jo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Original Xcom balance in action: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/48590833

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

its the whole package, the art and sound in the old stuff is a lot more atmospheric, but also mechanically the way groups spawn in in new xcom just sucks and makes it super predictable. meanwhile this screen was just terrifying and you saw it every turn

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

yikes... CoD WW2 trailer at sony TGS' show, apparently that game's no russian level is your jewish character getting shoved onto a train lmao

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thanks to Battlefront Ultimate being £3.99 on PS store I picked it up and gave it another whirl. (I originally played a bit of the bare bones version on PC in february).

Holy Moly this game is beautiful and sounds amazing and is fun to play and control for me! I played a lot of the training and a few skirmishes (not ready to go up against other people yet). I feel like I stole from EA at this price! It's so dang good! Flying x wings about and controlling AT-STs was awesome, running about and shooting with the actual film weapons made me smile tremendously. Good heavens, what a wonderful time!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I could never get into the tactical gameplay of XCom, or any similar games, but the XCom intro is still pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttggec6eJFY

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I wonder if the yearly cycle of games like CoD also contributed to no bots? If you could play multi against bots you might not immediately upgrade to next year's version with the rest of the playerbase.

That can't be entirely true because several of the CoD games had bot play, some with their own progression separate from the multi:

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Bots

homeless snail posted:

yikes... CoD WW2 trailer at sony TGS' show, apparently that game's no russian level is your jewish character getting shoved onto a train lmao

loving hell they couldn't just NOT do one of those levels for once?

VideoGames posted:

Thanks to Battlefront Ultimate being £3.99 on PS store I picked it up and gave it another whirl. (I originally played a bit of the bare bones version on PC in february).

Holy Moly this game is beautiful and sounds amazing and is fun to play and control for me! I played a lot of the training and a few skirmishes (not ready to go up against other people yet). I feel like I stole from EA at this price! It's so dang good! Flying x wings about and controlling AT-STs was awesome, running about and shooting with the actual film weapons made me smile tremendously. Good heavens, what a wonderful time!

Speaking of BotPlay, how is it in that game? I was thinking of getting it, on PC at least. I know that the multi is dead af but if the price is right...

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

Tekken has its Treasure Mode where you can wallop really dumb bots and they shower you with new outfits and customization options
I bought Tekken 7 earlier this week on the Steam sale. Its campaign is as dumb as I wanted it to be, game's cool. I'm still getting used to playing Tekken though, the last one I played was probably a decade ago. Honestly even after all the other console releases coming to PC it still feels weird to me to see the Tekken logo on a computer screen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
:gizz:

satisfaction

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Monster Hunter global release in january. I hope everybody is ready to preorder the digital deluxe edition for the exlusive armour and hairstyles.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Wamdoodle posted:

Speaking of BotPlay, how is it in that game? I was thinking of getting it, on PC at least. I know that the multi is dead af but if the price is right...

I prefer solo/bot play to online anyway and I am satisfied at what the game offers. I began my FPS career with Quake II and Eraser Bot, so it's pretty much just like home :D

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

Monster Hunter global release in january. I hope everybody is ready to preorder the digital deluxe edition for the exlusive armour and hairstyles.

Is that the PC release date too?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

lol I'll give you one guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

lol I'll give you one guess.

The PC version is releasing earlier?!

*is crushed with 10 ton weight like a cartoon character*

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Unfunny Poster posted:

yeah, it'll probably come out for pc in january

january 2019

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They just announced a new mech game for PSR called Left Alive

That and Yakuza will make me pull the trigger come Black Friday.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

FF IX is on PS4 now, apparently.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nah that's just what happens when you decide to put someone with explosives behind your teammates and expect him to be able to shoot through them :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seedge posted:

Huh, didn't think it would happen that quickly, especially before FF8.

I've been kind of depressed tonight but that cheers me up a bit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seedge posted:

Right now in fact

Raxivace posted:

Huh, didn't think it would happen that quickly, especially before FF8.

I've been kind of depressed tonight but that cheers me up a bit.

People like FF9

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

They should like FF9, it's a good rear end game.

EDIT: Oh cool, it comes with a theme like FF7 does.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Raxivace posted:

it's a good rear end game.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
good-rear end game: bloodborne
bad-rear end game: revengeance
good rear end-game: nier automata
bad rear end-game: haydee

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

good-rear end game: revengeance
bad-rear end game: revengeance
good rear end-game: revengeance
bad rear end-game: still haydee

Adbot