Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

khwarezm posted:

Question, I heard this game ran terribly on PC on release, is that still the case for the original or Death of the Outsider?

Dishonored 2 was unplayable on my PC at release. Death of the Outsider runs absolutely fine. It defaulted to ultra low graphics settings but I turned them up to high and it hasn't been a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
So I find out too late you can only steal a given NPC's face once. Time to restart the mission!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

IMJack posted:

So I find out too late you can only steal a given NPC's face once. Time to restart the mission!

what happens if you try again?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ladron posted:

what happens if you try again?

It won't let you and you get a message along the lines of: "You can only steal a face once".

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

BigglesSWE posted:

Dishonored 3 should have us play as Dr. Galvani in his never-ending quest to get his revenge on these goddamn thieves.

Did you find the Galvani book in the second mission?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
It'd be nice if face-stealing lasted longer. In the second mission, I wanted to use the tattoo artist's face to get into the opera singer's house, but because I had decided to use the tattoo artist to experiment with face-stealing I could not use her again. I wound up using the city councilman to get into the cultist bar and got in the opera singer's house through the sky bridge.

Is it possible with some combination of bone charms to wear the tattoo artist's face long enough to meet the opera singer? That's a completely different map, so I'm assuming no.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

GotLag posted:

Did you find the Galvani book in the second mission?

No! I'm gonna do a more thorough playthrough of the game now that I finished it, will try and find anything and everything I didn't already.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I was knackered after finishing the game last night and now I can't quite recall what it said about new game +. What's the jist? You get all the powers from 2 or they replace the powers you had or what?

Foresight was real good.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

CaptainCaveman posted:

Dishonored 2 was unplayable on my PC at release. Death of the Outsider runs absolutely fine. It defaulted to ultra low graphics settings but I turned them up to high and it hasn't been a problem.
To give some more concrete reassurance I have an ancient i5 2500k, 12 gigs of RAM and a 6gb 1060 and it runs just fine.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

I was knackered after finishing the game last night and now I can't quite recall what it said about new game +. What's the jist? You get all the powers from 2 or they replace the powers you had or what?

Foresight was real good.

Apparently you just have Blink, Domino and Dark Vision? Not sure, that's just what I've read. Still need to beat the normal story first. I'd hope you'd at least get rat swarm as well, she can talk to rats!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Blink, Dark Vision, Domino. They've got a lot of upgrades built in. Blink stops time when not moving, full distance. Dark Vision does everything. Domino affects up to 5 people at once.

I was hoping it'd just make the game back into collecting runes and upgrading what you want etc. Then again, it'd just be too easy in that case. Not that the game isn't simple enough otherwise. What this means is no going through vents, no telefragging with displace, etc. Dark Vision is better than Foresight for collecting loot at any rate.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How does one craft runes? I'm picking up whalebone left right and centre but the crafting option is locked.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GotLag posted:

How does one craft runes? I'm picking up whalebone left right and centre but the crafting option is locked.

In Dishonored 2 I think you need to unlock the power to do it.

In DotO, you can't. Bonecharms only.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah, that. I can't craft bone charms.

Edit: never mind, I see it unlocks when you get the fancy letter opener

GotLag fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 18, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Thirty American dollars for DLC???

Man, this poo poo better be worth it; I got both the other DLC packs for half that

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Thirty American dollars for DLC???

Man, this poo poo better be worth it; I got both the other DLC packs for half that

Tbf its an expansion and its fairly worth it imo. Took me about 8 hours to complete, the original game took me about 17.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It's not DLC, it's standalone. Not finished it yet but it feels worth it. Cost me about what Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches did back in the day and my Steam counter says I've played it for 8 hours, the levels are as big and open as you'd expect from Dishonored and there's a mission that I've been wanting Dishonored to do since they made the first one, that and the one I just finished justified the cost alone imo.

Edit: Finished it just now, I enjoyed most of the game a lot and the powers were a lot less restrictive than I thought they might be when I started, looking forward to playing through it again. That final level was a bit poo poo wasn't it? Didn't mind the plot stuff but just as a location it's like... a quarry? What might be the last Dishonored game ever and definitely the last one for a while and we infiltrate a quarry to kill the Outsider? When I went through the portal and looked up and saw the obelisk with the whales floating around I figured that was going to be it's own little chunk of the level to get through, maybe filled with former victims that have been killed for worshiping the Outsider or something. Then I just waltzed up there and made a choice.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 19, 2017

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Bit disappointed that opening Morgan Yu's lockbox in the bank didn't unleash something nasty.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It kinda bugs me that Billie seems mystified at why the Overseers and Oracular Order are poring over the Royal Conservatory. I guess Emily never bothered to mention what she saw in there during the boat ride back to Dunwall?

Low Chaos Emily seems to be the canonical playthrough from everything we see in this one. Which reminds me -- Chaos level is not a thing in DOTO? Does anything bad happen at the end if you slaughtered your way through the game?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Entropic posted:

Low Chaos Emily seems to be the canonical playthrough from everything we see in this one.

Yeah whenever they talk about past game events they always go with the low chaos ending, they always imply the character killed a few people if they needed to but weren't full on kill crazy. Makes sense from a world perspective to keep as many pieces on the board as possible.

I don't think you get different ending depending on what happens throughout the game, just depending on your choice at the end.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So how the hell do you kill Envisioned without them one-shotting you? My assumption would be you have to use the void strike thing with your sword but I haven't got the hang of it obviously. It feels like fighting Clockwork Soldiers except drop assassination doesn't seem to work and you can't just shoot their heads off.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Hmm do the clockwork sentinels in the bank count as kills? My assassination stat goes up when I murk one and I'm trying to see if there's any dialogue you get for doing a non-lethal run

EDIT: ^Charge up an electrical burst shot, hit them with it, and kill em. Easy.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

SunAndSpring posted:

Hmm do the clockwork sentinels in the bank count as kills? My assassination stat goes up when I murk one and I'm trying to see if there's any dialogue you get for doing a non-lethal run

They shouldn't.

But I think messing with them fails the "quiet as a mouse" contract, which is insanely stringent.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Entropic posted:

They shouldn't.

But I think messing with them fails the "quiet as a mouse" contract, which is insanely stringent.

You can drop assassinate them and it's fine. I don't think it failed the contract. But apparently the game thinks they're human. Must be the new masks?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Trip report: A+ good game will play again, but feeling slightly let down by the lack of an epilogue or WHERE ARE THEY NOW vignettes like the other games had.

SunAndSpring posted:

EDIT: ^Charge up an electrical burst shot, hit them with it, and kill em. Easy.

Sometimes my charged shots go wild, still haven't worked out what causes that. I'm using keyboard and mouse, and have autoaim turned completely off as per the default settings.

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

Beat DotO. Big fan, worth the 30bux. I spent about 15 hours, but this is because I am bad and save scum constantly.

Favorites are definitely Releasing Daud with no powers. Good for retraining on traditional stealth. and Robbing the bank

GotLag posted:

Sometimes my charged shots go wild, still haven't worked out what causes that. I'm using keyboard and mouse, and have autoaim turned completely off as per the default settings.

The game mentions (I think only in the loading screen hints?) that holding the charge for too long will cause the shot to be fired automatically. Is that it?
Admittedly I've never tried, since overcharging the tau gun in Half Life has made me permanently afraid of holding charge shots for very long.

E: Add actual content

brain dammej fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 19, 2017

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, the whole part where Suddenly, the Outsider gives you the MECHA-ARM!! seems really awkward. I feel that narratively it would have worked better for him to try and gently caress you over by reverting you to one hand mode and then for you to either get the mechahand yourself or having Daud give it to you.

Like, I rather had the feeling it woulda been a lot different to how it's been thus far, but tbf, I still haven't even beaten the first real level.

Btw, somehow ended up with two kills, no clue how, so this run is officially gonna be a murder run; is there anything other than a line or maybe a cheevo you miss for that?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
There's an achievement for completing a single mission with no kills, and there's an achievement for completing the entire game without being detected.

There's no achievement for completing the entire game with no kills, which is in line with quite a few contracts requiring kills for completion.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Crap, I think I was spotted too at some point. A shame; I ghosted both 1 and 2.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

brain dammej posted:

Favorites are definitely Releasing Daud with no powers. Good for retraining on traditional stealth. and Robbing the bank

Same, except for me the first mission was made much easier by finding an Agility charm almost straight off.

I loving love the bank, but there's something that's getting me: Is it possible at all to not wake up the dude in the security office? I couldn't find any way to bypass him.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

GotLag posted:

Same, except for me the first mission was made much easier by finding an Agility charm almost straight off.

I loving love the bank, but there's something that's getting me: Is it possible at all to not wake up the dude in the security office? I couldn't find any way to bypass him.

You can deal with him by ghosting into the vent outside the security door, placing a marker, and then teleporting in behind him when he does open the door for you.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I meant to never wake him up in the first place.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can break the safety latches to bypass having to talk to him, but I don't think that counts as avoiding him. But if you use the 'right' method, you can talk to him on the microphone and tell him its routine maintenance or that it's a ROBBERY FUCKER

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

GotLag posted:

I meant to never wake him up in the first place.

if you really want to know.... go to the other side, where the guy is sleeping at the desk, jump on the rail by the security door, and flick a pearl at the button that moves the vault. this takes many many many reloads.the vault will move upstairs and you can bypass that whole floor, so you never have to wake the dude up. there's an achievement for doing the whole level without disabling any security or waking anyone up

edit shooting an arrow at the button pushes it right away, but wakes everyone up

ladron fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 19, 2017

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ladron posted:

if you really want to know.... go to the other side, where the guy is sleeping at the desk, jump on the rail by the security door, and flick a pearl at the button that moves the vault. this takes many many many reloads.the vault will move upstairs and you can bypass that whole floor, so you never have to wake the dude up. there's an achievement for doing the whole level without disabling any security or waking anyone up

edit shooting an arrow at the button pushes it right away, but wakes everyone up

Alternatively, the route that gets the 'Party Crasher' achievement can also will get you The Perfect Crime, because dropping a whiskey glass will wake every guard in the building, but smashing the vault down into the basement does not.

Use Foresight+Displace to get past the Wall of Light by the elevator. You will need to run the foresight up to the second floor windows so your displace path won't cross the wall of light. Take the elevator up to the third floor. Get the Vault Key and loot whatever else you want. Go back into the elevator and go up through the hatch and you'll see a maintenance room. From there you can drop the vault into the basement and then loot the vault at your leisure. Watch out for the arc pylon in the maintenance room.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Khizan posted:

Use Foresight+Displace to get past the Wall of Light by the elevator. You will need to run the foresight up to the second floor windows so your displace path won't cross the wall of light. Take the elevator up to the third floor. Get the Vault Key and loot whatever else you want. Go back into the elevator and go up through the hatch and you'll see a maintenance room. From there you can drop the vault into the basement and then loot the vault at your leisure. Watch out for the arc pylon in the maintenance room.

so you don't even move the vault? interesting

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

You get a tool from the maintenance room, drop down the shaft to the top of the vault, and then disconnect the vault so that it crashes down into the basement. You can do this from the vault's initial position.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Khizan posted:

You get a tool from the maintenance room, drop down the shaft to the top of the vault, and then disconnect the vault so that it crashes down into the basement. You can do this from the vault's initial position.

I've done this, but I moved it first

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I managed to ghost the first level and ran with it for the rest of the game. Unfortunately that meant I was playing really conservatively and not loving around too much. Looking forward to another run with those DH2 powers not giving a drat about alarms and whatnot. The bank sounds like it has so much going on in it that I didn't see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
If you're using the hagpearl to move the vault, aim slightly further right than you'd expect. I reloaded 30+ times to acquire this knowledge and share it with you goons.

• Locked thread