Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pararoid posted:

And yet just yesterday Gareth Morgan was promoting the Stuff online poll as being more representative than any of the scientific polls, but Gower didn't see the need to fly into a rage over that.

Yeah nor did he feel the need to let the spittle fly over the "75% of landlords" who say they're going to raise rents if Labour get into government.

The Green party poll really was bs though. It was a robocall that asked "Between the Labour and Green candidates in Nelson, which do you think is more likely to beat Nick Smith." (not verbatim)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Slavvy posted:

So that leaves two possibilities: there are several hundred thousand thick as gently caress people who genuinely don't know who to vote for because voting works in reality like it does on paper, or polls are useless for anything besides getting a general feel for the public mood because they don't really reflect how the voting public behaves.

Um, yes?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

bike tory posted:

That's not a useful or accurate measure of its contribution to our economy because GDP only includes end goods, so the bulk of agricultural goods (like milk powder/concentrates, wool, meat etc) aren't included because they isn't processed here. Agriculture makes up more than half of our exports, which google says totaled $61bn in 2013

fair enough

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

If the Greens fall below 5%, then you're gonna have to deal with three years at least of Minister Winston.

Survey says that's likely going to happen anyway.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
The way this story is being framed and the comments are just.... :eng99:

https://www.facebook.com/Stuff.co.nz/posts/10155773867114268

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

So much for the tolerant left.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People like that are a mystery. Lets vote for the party who are giving you less rights than everyone else and hates your guts because reasons?? It's like those Le Pen voters who were voting for their own oppressor.

Screwed himself over with both the vote and implied endorsement and being queer is no shield for either. Dumb gently caress. Also LOL the Young Nats not taking it down after being requested to do so.

quote:

"I'm proud to be an out Nat because tolerance, free enterprise and a great economy means everyone can thrive."

Classic trickle down economics.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Ghostlight posted:

So much for the tolerant left.

It's not about his views, it's about him attaching the group's name to a political party when they're supposed to be politically neutral

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's a misleading headline but the article does explain it pretty clearly

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

oohhboy posted:

People like that are a mystery. Lets vote for the party who are giving you less rights than everyone else and hates your guts because reasons?? It's like those Le Pen voters who were voting for their own oppressor.

Not really a mystery, the common pleb is certainly more happy to vote on the hope that he'll one day be rich. As opposed to, y'know, accepting the reality that he is not.

It's an ego thing, humani nihil a me alienum puto and all that.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

Not really a mystery, the common pleb is certainly more happy to vote on the hope that he'll one day be rich. As opposed to, y'know, accepting the reality that he is not.

In this case, the guy is already well off, thanks to his mother giving him a job at her company.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

WarpedNaba posted:

"Temporarily embarassed millionaires" though millionaire is a bit of a low bar with the housing market etc

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've met plenty of gay national voters? Like I'd definitely say it's a minority of gay people, but it's not like the National party is akin to the US Republican party. Post 1990's the National party has been way more defined by economic policy than any kind of identity conservatism.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

bike tory posted:

I've met plenty of gay national voters? Like I'd definitely say it's a minority of gay people, but it's not like the National party is akin to the US Republican party. Post 1990's the National party has been way more defined by economic policy than any kind of identity conservatism.

How many of them aren't middle-class white men?

e: daily gently caress TOP update

El Pollo Blanco fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 19, 2017

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Advance voting is well good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

But haven't you heard? Hooton says it's a farce!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

El Pollo Blanco posted:

How many of them aren't middle-class white men?

National is known to be specifically prejudiced against non-white lesbians, it's true.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know what happened to the Dim Post blog? It went private ages ago and I forgot about it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

sebmojo posted:

National is known to be specifically prejudiced against non-white lesbians, it's true.

Have you considered intersectionality

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone know what happened to the Dim Post blog? It went private ages ago and I forgot about it.

If you're missing it as much as I was, he's done some really interesting longerform columns on The Spinoff

https://thespinoff.co.nz/author/danyl-mclauchlan/

I have enjoyed all of them. Particularly https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/20-08-2017/communism-by-stealth-notes-on-conservatism-neoliberalism-social-investment-and-a-ubi/

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
loving hell David Seymour is terrible

https://twitter.com/dbseymour/status/909945934447992832

After reading the article he linked three times, the only way it makes sense is if you consider "enslave" and "make pay taxes" the same thing.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

https://twitter.com/dbseymour/status/909945934447992832

After reading the article he linked three times, the only way it makes sense is if you consider "enslave" and "make pay taxes" the same thing.

Lol that this is based on the Taxpayer's Union 'study' that double dips all the loving spending figures of a Green-Labour coalition.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think comparing paying taxes to less freedom is kind of act-speak

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

I think he used to blog regularly and was very active on twitter until he was hired by the Green Party. He has since gone silent in most social media stuff apart from some recent Spinoff articles.
Will hopefully return after the election.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Varkk posted:

I think he used to blog regularly and was very active on twitter until he was hired by the Green Party. He has since gone silent in most social media stuff apart from some recent Spinoff articles.
Will hopefully return after the election.

Yeah that's right. I had forgotten he was sitting for the Spinoff though.

Also didn't know he got hired by the Green Party which would explain why everything has gone.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

"Temporarily embarassed millionaires"
Fuuuck, I forgot that one.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hone's done for :(

Don't waste your votes on Mana I guess

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/face-the-classroom
this series is good/cute, except the bit where gareth morgan traumatises the class

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Believe it or not this is actually "progress" for the ACT end of the spectrum.

https://www.nbr.co.nz/article/southern-slave-owner-vs-modern-democratic-state-lf-135202

quote:

The New Zealand government spends a third of all that we produce. A slave owner took only 10%. The governments we elect are three times more rapacious than slave owners.
The government would need only sell the people of Hamilton and Dunedin to clear net debt.

The whole thing is an extended defense of slavery as "not so bad" that is only loving topped off by a picture of Roots to accompany it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I mean, at least he's not talking about how his ideals would require him to advocate for incest.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Libertarians have some deep, masochistic need to be hated by as many people as possible. I wonder why?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
david seymour proudly introduces age of consent policy

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Libertarians have some deep, masochistic need to be hated by as many people as possible. I wonder why?

They're not even libertarians. They are just a far right puppet party.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's possible Seymour himself is dumb enough to be a true believer.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

It's possible Seymour himself is dumb enough to be a true believer.

Seymour is probably the first true believer Libertarian the ACT party has ever had in parliament, I feel.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

When your shattered self-worth is fueled by a sense of victimization and is expressed through spite, I could see it happen.

Hell, happened to me. Never went full [censored] and shifted right-wing, though.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

exmarx posted:

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/face-the-classroom
this series is good/cute, except the bit where gareth morgan traumatises the class

Winston talking about nuclear holocaust owns

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

quote:

'Voters cannot be this thick': Gareth Morgan on 'Jacinda effect'

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/news/article.cfm?c_id=280&objectid=11924483

He's just realised that after months of talking about how swing voters are the only people worth focusing on, because 'tribalistic voters are idiots who never look at policy', the bitter reality is that his venerated 'swing voters' are in fact the morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Morgan is such a dummy that even when he might have some semblance of a point he makes himself look like such a dickhead expressing it that nobody will take him seriously. Hiring Plunket as his press guy certainly has not helped his cause either though it has provided some comedy gold on twitter

• Locked thread