Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FELD1 posted:

I've never seen that mistake in my life before (thankfully). Maybe they're going for "expediently?" That's the only explanation I can think of in that case.

Really? That's virtually the only way I ever hear people use "exponentially" anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I'm trying to think bigger since it's a wedding gift for my brother's honeymoon and want to do something nicer/more creative than a giftcard or an envelope of cash (the latter of which my dad is doing so it would be pretty lame to copy his gift even if I put more in mine).

Where are they going? Perhaps ask the spouse if they have a certain agenda once they arrive, and get them some nice meal or something at a close eatery. Snorkel gear if somewhere tropical?

Also, always a good idea are backup batteries and charge cords. Not quite enough for a wedding gift but be nice as an add-on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Moon Monster posted:

Really? That's virtually the only way I ever hear people use "exponentially" anymore.

A fun thing to do would be ask genuinely for a definition. What is "ex-ponenshally"? What does it mean for something to have been "ponenshal"? What?!?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, this is accurate and I'm sure I've been guilty of it myself a time or two.

Any time more than one bad thing happens, things are "exponentially worse."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

When you email a question and they phone you to give the answer. I had some trouble getting a straight answer from the phone support people at my ISP, so I sent an email instead in which I clearly laid out the exact query, and they loving phoned me and got me to restate the question to them over the phone like they hadn't even read the email. :argh:

And I still don't have a clear answer.

It happens all the time. Even just tiny questions like asking a shop "Do you sell <this thing>?" they'll phone instead of just writing back "yes" or "no". And often I email specifically because I want a written record of what they told me, and getting a phone call as a response defeats the whole loving purpose!

And the excuses they give. "Phone calls are more convenient." No they aren't! That's why I emailed you! If it had been more convenient for me to phone, I'd have done that! And they'll tell you they phoned because you might have follow-up questions, but if I do, so what? I can email again! Or phone you!

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

When you email a question and they phone you to give the answer. I had some trouble getting a straight answer from the phone support people at my ISP, so I sent an email instead in which I clearly laid out the exact query, and they loving phoned me and got me to restate the question to them over the phone like they hadn't even read the email. :argh:

It happens all the time. Even just tiny questions like asking a shop "Do you sell <this thing>?" they'll phone instead of just writing back "yes" or "no". And often I email specifically because I want a written record of what they told me, and getting a phone call as a response defeats the whole loving purpose!

And the excuses they give. "Phone calls are more convenient." No they aren't! That's why I emailed you! If it had been more convenient for me to phone, I'd have done that! And they'll tell you they phoned because you might have follow-up questions, but if I do, so what? I can email again! Or phone you!

I can actually explain this one. I work in a call centre now for private health. We have a few email trained consultants and they are actually quite senior in the company while I've been here for only a few weeks and I can take and make calls. That said, if we get an email, we loving answer the email and explain if we have to call, exactly WHY we've called.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Where are they going? Perhaps ask the spouse if they have a certain agenda once they arrive, and get them some nice meal or something at a close eatery. Snorkel gear if somewhere tropical?

Also, always a good idea are backup batteries and charge cords. Not quite enough for a wedding gift but be nice as an add-on.

Their plan is just "Italy" for now, at least Rome but they haven't really done any detailed planning yet. I was thinking maybe a nice set of luggage but that feels more like something your mom would get you. If I went the cash route I could maybe get them some euros so they don't have to pay the exchange rate, but I still feel like that's also a lame gift for your brother. I'm giving him some power adapters for it but that's not part of the gift, I just have extra ones.

Anyway, recent peeve: When people say "we should do _____ sometime soon" and then never follow up on it.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

If it's a sale point situation it's likely they're looking to complete the sale with the phone call instead of going back and forth through email.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Their plan is just "Italy" for now, at least Rome but they haven't really done any detailed planning yet. I was thinking maybe a nice set of luggage but that feels more like something your mom would get you. If I went the cash route I could maybe get them some euros so they don't have to pay the exchange rate, but I still feel like that's also a lame gift for your brother. I'm giving him some power adapters for it but that's not part of the gift, I just have extra ones.

Anyway, recent peeve: When people say "we should do _____ sometime soon" and then never follow up on it.

A pair of theft-proof backpacks are good gifts. Maybe pay for their hotel in 1 of the cities if they're traveling to multiple cities? Or a rental car reservation?

Also, if you are able to get more info out of them, make a reservation and pay for an experience. Like, buy them a gift certificate for a gondola ride in Venice or a vineyard tour in Naples.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
When a company has a management person/team switch over where the new group doesn't communicate AT ALL with the old group about any of the important things, e.g. specific client information beyond the bare minimum. :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

When someone insults you and you get mad about it and they claim they didn't mean it that way and paint you as the some over-reacting psycho. I'd be open to considering the fact that maybe I took it the wrong way in some subtle situations, but in the situation in question there was only one possible interpretation. When I took it she backpedaled and was like "whoa i was just saying ____ sounds like you have some growing up to do". It's such a lame social manipulation tactic.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Computers that can't tell you what's wrong with them when there's clearly some kind of problem.
Computers that need major intervention or else they slowly bog down and get lovely over time.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Two pet peeves I've rediscovered dealing with the unboxing (and reboxing) of some computer equipment:

- Why is every computer cable made out of something that has higher-than-normal friction? I didn't even get two things overlapping, I wanting to pull one cable off the pile and the friction just dragged the pile undeneath because I wasn't pulling directly upward.

- Those plastic bags surrounding things (like, say, speakers) that are in the cardboard box. First off, I've run into too many of these things that tearing them open doesn't work; it gets to a single strand of plastic seemingly turns to iron, and cuts your fingers to poo poo trying. And god save you if you need to rebox those speakers up and return them; you'll never figure out how they were in the box, so you just kinda half-rear end it.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Mouse Dresser posted:

A pair of theft-proof backpacks are good gifts. Maybe pay for their hotel in 1 of the cities if they're traveling to multiple cities? Or a rental car reservation?

Also, if you are able to get more info out of them, make a reservation and pay for an experience. Like, buy them a gift certificate for a gondola ride in Venice or a vineyard tour in Naples.

This is a great idea. There are shitloads of things to do in Rome/Italy. My husband and I were there this February on our honeymoon, and we booked and paid for a bunch of tours/experiences online before we left. We did a cooking class, a separate pizza making class, a private tour of Rome at night, a tour of the colloseum/forum, a tour of the Vatican museum/St. Peters, and we went on a day trip to Pompeii. Just some ideas for you. Most of those ranged from somewhat to very expensive, and would probably make a great gift. Check out these two websites for some more tour/excursion ideas if you're interested:

https://m.viator.com

http://www.walksinsiderome.com

On topic: people who are really inconsistent when it comes to driving rules. Like someone who drives 20km under the limit and then doesn't signal a turn or blows through a stop sign.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

When someone insults you and you get mad about it and they claim they didn't mean it that way and paint you as the some over-reacting psycho. I'd be open to considering the fact that maybe I took it the wrong way in some subtle situations, but in the situation in question there was only one possible interpretation. When I took it she backpedaled and was like "whoa i was just saying ____ sounds like you have some growing up to do". It's such a lame social manipulation tactic.

The correct response to "I didn't mean it that way" (if not followed immediately by a sincere apology) is always "then get better at communicating".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

When a company has a management person/team switch over where the new group doesn't communicate AT ALL with the old group about any of the important things, e.g. specific client information beyond the bare minimum. :argh:

Probably a much rarer situation but when I went back to school for my trade one of our classes was taught by a husband and wife team who would switch off and they never had a clue what the other one had taught us or gone over in the last class. It was their first time teaching the class but they're literally married and live together I have no idea how the communication was so bad :psyduck: like they could have just used the same notepad or something and switched off

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Thin Privilege posted:

No I mean it's if it's a boss battle where there's no option to pause, so if you walk away from the game, like to use the bathroom, the boss just keeps attacking you till you die.

I'd love to see a game where you couldn't pause during boss battles, but you could call a time out for bathroom breaks or whatever. Just go into a quick menu and go "Could you give me 10 minutes?" When you get back the boss and the main character are playing backgammon until you resume the fight :3: Playing by Wreck it Ralph rules.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
People who don't know how to buck logs for firewood so they end up being inconsistent lengths and have angled ends.

That my right hand is starting to tremble after splitting firewood.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

They are asserting dominance. When you fought back you denied their claim, but also made an enemy and cost you both social cache. No one likes a trouble maker.

Was the trade off worth it? Only time will tell...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I hate when someone is driving in my blind spot, when I have to get over into that lane.

Like, my rational side reminds me that they can't read my mind, that I haven't even turned on my turn signal to inform them of my desire to enter that lane... but the other 3/4th of my brain firmly believes they are doing it out of active, personal spite towards me.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's a pet peeve to realize you typoed an attempt at a self depreciating joke and made an arrogant one, but I'm there right now.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Sep 16, 2017

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well at the very least they're doing it out of stupidity. There's no reason to drive just off a person's quarter panel like that unless it's stop and go traffic, they should just speed up for 3 seconds or slow down for 1 second and now everybody can see each other.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

I hate when someone is driving in my blind spot, when I have to get over into that lane.

Like, my rational side reminds me that they can't read my mind, that I haven't even turned on my turn signal to inform them of my desire to enter that lane... but the other 1/4th of my brain firmly believes they are doing it out of active, personal spite towards me.

My dad is convinced that nearly everyone on the road who is driving kind of dumb around him is trying to assert dominance and attempting to convince him that they're probably just stupid or bad at driving is impossible. It's always a personal thing to him and he has to start competing with them

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Aesop Poprock posted:

My dad is convinced that nearly everyone on the road who is driving kind of dumb around him is trying to assert dominance and attempting to convince him that they're probably just stupid or bad at driving is impossible. It's always a personal thing to him and he has to start competing with them

My dad was like this. Which is one of the reasons he ended up having two heart attacks.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

doverhog posted:

When you fought back you denied their claim, but also made an enemy and cost you both social cache.

cachet probably

people who make posts like this correcting others' language is actually one of my pet peeves yet i compulsively do it myself

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
People with smaller vocabularies that act like I'm some sort of Ivory Tower know it all when I use a word like "ameliorate". Sure, it's not common. But it was the exact right use of the damned word, so don't act like I just made it up to sound smart. And when I give you the definition don't tell me I'm wrong, dude! You didn't even know the word 15 seconds ago!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A funny one about language perfectionism is that this song about Shibboleths (words that are pronounced so differently to how they are spelled that outsiders to the culture with inevitable screw it up) actually falls prey to a shibboleth themselves - at one point they say "Wagon Lit Carriage" - that isn't the term. It's pronounced with a silent t because it's actually a french term - a "Wagon-Lit" is a carriage designed for overnight journeys - "Lit" is french for Bed. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/wagon-lit

The song in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOd3lwluQIw

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I remembered I really dislike this morning is putting on a new shirt for the first time and it feels like it's made of paper.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I remembered I really dislike this morning is putting on a new shirt for the first time and it feels like it's made of paper.

Like, paper thin or rough like paper? If it's the latter, always wash new clothes before you wear it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I always iron them before I wear them, which helps a bit, but they still feel a bit - for want of a better word - crinkly right after you put it on.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I posted a few months ago about how our office was getting out of hand for multiple birthday/going-away/baby/engagement celebrations. It's getting WORSE. A colleague just came by with a card for me to sign, saying "who the hell is Lorie?"

Lorie works for our facilities department. We had to circulate a thank-you card to the facilities manager who moved us into our new building. I don't know what she did, but it was her job, and the new building absolutely loving sucks, but I wrote "thank you" on it anyway. Like, literally, we're circulating a card to someone for doing her job. Never mind that we actually have a rewards program in place where if you want to thank someone for doing a great job, you can do so online and they can trade their points or whatever in for poo poo that has actual value, but instead we all have to sign a card for a person most of us couldn't pick out of a lineup. Maybe it was meant as a nice gesture, but it rings really hollow.

The admin has everyone's birthdays on a calendar and I suspect she's the one perpetuating this crap. She's a very nice lady but it's getting out of hand. I'm going to ask her privately to do nothing and tell no one about my birthday in a couple of months, and if I get a lunch/pastries/happy hour/birthday cake invite (I'm not kidding, we've done up to three separate celebrations for each occasion), I'm going to decline it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSMxrtDrsM

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
"trying to fill the void in your life with flour and sugar and egg and vanilla? i mean, we are all unhappy. do we have to be fat, too?"

Pet peeve: People bringing in donuts and looking at me like I'm trying to act uppity because I don't want one.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What doughnuts have become, I can't even gag down a Krispy Kreme"doughnut". Give me medium / little cinnamon doughnuts, not those sugar rings

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MightyJoe36 posted:

"trying to fill the void in your life with flour and sugar and egg and vanilla? i mean, we are all unhappy. do we have to be fat, too?"

Pet peeve: People bringing in donuts and looking at me like I'm trying to act uppity because I don't want one.

Crab bucket thinking. "What, you are too good to be a fat mess like the rest of us?" I appreciate the offer, but 300-400 calories of mediocre doughnut or muffin just seems like a bad choice.

Some times I will take one and set it aside to throw out later just to avoid the low level attitude you get for refusing.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
There are two Skype meetings, one phone call, and two miscellaneous conversations happening in the immediate vicinity of my cubicle.

It feels like I'm going insane.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Parasol Prophet posted:

There are two Skype meetings, one phone call, and two miscellaneous conversations happening in the immediate vicinity of my cubicle.

It feels like I'm going insane.

You've just described my morning, except I'm supposed to be on the Skypes and phone call, and people get annoyed when I don't want to chat with them while I'm on said calls. This is what you get when you moved me out of my office and into a tiny cubicle. Don't expect me to be available; I still have clients.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

InediblePenguin posted:

cachet probably

people who make posts like this correcting others' language is actually one of my pet peeves yet i compulsively do it myself

I'm gonna call it a typo. :11tea:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Currently in-flight peeve - people who keep opening their window while everyone is trying to sleep. It's just more sun, clouds, and ocean, it's not going to change for like 5 hours, stop blinding everyone.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some times I will take one and set it aside to throw out later just to avoid the low level attitude you get for refusing.

Wait, people will actually get lovely if you don't take a donut? What do they loving care? Isn't that more donuts for them? Do they see it as a personal slight?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Leavemywife posted:

Wait, people will actually get lovely if you don't take a donut? What do they loving care? Isn't that more donuts for them? Do they see it as a personal slight?

Not openly lovely. But they are offering you a gift. Refusing it has all kinds of connotations in various cultures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not openly lovely. But they are offering you a gift. Refusing it has all kinds of connotations in various cultures.

I didn't think if it that way. I thought of how it would be if I was at work.