Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yeah all murderers should get months-long paid vacations where they roll in upper five figure salaries for doing nothing and then get back to working a job safer than picking up garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Department receives complaints about Officer A that do not (for one reason or another) result in civil or criminal negative impacts on him or the department.

Department reviews his performance and denies him a promotion / transfers him to an undesirable position that he does not desire.

The union should be involved in this: Y/N?

Relatedly, some of the Project Zero propositions are related to stuff like "officer gets paid time off or desk duty after a major malfeasance charge". That's totally the sort of thing that a normal union would and should be fighting for. poo poo's weird and complicated.

Y but without a leg to stand on or any lengthy disputation process available if the complaints demonstrate, to a reasonable standard, that officer A's conduct is not befitting of a public servant at this time

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Your Parents posted:

Yeah all murderers should get months-long paid vacations where they roll in upper five figure salaries for doing nothing and then get back to working a job safer than picking up garbage.

Worker protections are, generally, good. I personally like the "you shoot someone for any reason, you ride a desk maybe not just for the duration of your investigation, but forever" happy medium - stuff 'em in some paper-pushing job that needs to be done but won't result in more dead people.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jazerus posted:

Y but without a leg to stand on or any lengthy disputation process available if the complaints demonstrate, to a reasonable standard, that officer A's conduct is not befitting of a public servant at this time

That's reasonable! I tentatively agree with it!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your Parents posted:

Where do murder cops make upper five figures? I'm actually serious the starting salary in idahos 33k and median is 48k.

If actually found (fairly not the fake poo poo we get now) murder cops should have to pay back their PTO imo.

I'm not defending cops. I'm not defending cops. I'm not defending cops. :ohdear:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Boon posted:

The Navy at least desperately needs it.

why? so they can buy more ships that dissolve at sea?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the same people who'll loving abolish law enforcement officers in Hellblazer's hypothetical, presumably

to make this marginally more constructive, are there any solutions you would like to propose? I'm on board with, for example, in roughly escalating order of improbability:

- universal bodycams
--- with harsh punishments for loving with 'em
- sane conflict and deescalation training
- non-cop ridealong personnel, preferably mental health oriented, a few days ago someone noted that Denver has a really good program like this
- revamp of the hiring processes
- i dunno, communist indoctrination of the entire command structure of every police force from NYC to Hearne, Texas

bodycams are worthless at this point. I do not doubt we could have a cop shooting an innocent person execution style in glorious HD and he would be acquitted of any wrongdoing

hell, we've got cops caught with their bodycams planting drugs for arrests and their departments are covering for them

we've got a cop on dashcam saying "i'm gonna murder this guy" and then murdering him and being called a hero by judges.

cops are completely rotten

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Condiv posted:

why? so they can buy more ships that dissolve at sea?

bodycams are worthless at this point. I do not doubt we could have a cop shooting an innocent person execution style in glorious HD and he would be acquitted of any wrongdoing

hell, we've got cops caught with their bodycams planting drugs for arrests and their departments are covering for them

we've got a cop on dashcam saying "i'm gonna murder this guy" and then murdering him and being called a hero by judges.

cops are completely rotten

I reiterate, would you like to make a constructive proposition? Maybe glance at Campaign Zero which I have been reintroduced to and which seems cool and good?

I mean, if you just want to grouch about law enforcement in the States being bad and mean, that's a thing you can do and I will nod along and generally agree, that's a pleasant pastime. :v:

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Your Parents posted:

Should just not have cops imo

this is a good idea. would it start by taking their guns? what are you going to do if they don't want to give them up?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I reiterate, would you like to make a constructive proposition? Maybe glance at Campaign Zero which I have been reintroduced to and which seems cool and good?

I mean, if you just want to grouch about law enforcement in the States being bad and mean, that's a thing you can do and I will nod along and generally agree, that's a pleasant pastime. :v:

I'm not sure what can be done aside from tearing down the concept of "police" and maybe starting from scratch. I dunno what you're looking for me to suggest? I mean, south carolina seemed to have some success with holding officers accountable iirc, but right now every system that's supposed to keep cops in check are instead complicit in their lawlessness

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://www.google.it/amp/amp.thestate.com/news/local/crime/article167275827.html

quote:

COLUMBIA, SC
A former South Carolina state trooper who shot an unarmed motorist in 2014 was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Tuesday, but is expected to serve around three years behind the fence.

Sean Groubert pleaded guilty in March 2016 to assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature. More than a year later, Circuit Judge Casey Manning handed him a 12-year sentence, suspended to five years with three years probation.

Because Groubert has spent the last 17 months in jail, that time will be applied to the five years he’s required to serve in prison. Once Groubert serves the five years, he will remain on probation for three years. Should he violate the terms of his probation, he would have to serve the remaining time of the 12 years, Manning said.

Groubert shot Levar Jones at a St. Andrews gas station during a traffic stop on Sept. 4, 2014, and was fired shortly thereafter. He pleaded guilty in March 2016, leaving Jones waiting nearly 18 months for his assailant to be sentenced. Groubert faced up to 20 years in prison.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

awesmoe posted:

this is a good idea. would it start by taking their guns? what are you going to do if they don't want to give them up?

Send in the armed forces.

and then we start using the armed forces for policing, and they start killing people, and we need a civilian police force, yeah we get it

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

i mean, better than what's going on elsewhere, but still waayyy waayyy too lenient

we need rule of law to apply to cops (harsher than regular citizens) and we need it now

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

there is no justice in a country where you can be murdered by a cop cause he's feeling particularly bloodthirsty that day and that cop gets paid time off at worst

there is no justice in the united states of america

Condiv fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 19, 2017

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Nah. Harshness of sentencing has no correlation to deterrence, and no one should be excluded from progressive and lenient criminal justice.

Five years in jail, and long probation after shooting someone who survives is a pretty fitting sentence. Literally no cop looks at Groubert's sentence and thinks "ok no biggie".

Slightly modifying a quote:

To minorities, progressive and lenient prosecution with regular benefit of doubt, and nothing less.

To cop, progressive and lenient prosecution with regular benefit of doubt, and nothing more.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 19, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Vahakyla posted:

Nah. Harshness of sentencing has no correlation to deterrence, and no one should be excluded from progressive and lenient criminal justice.

Five years in jail, and long probation after shooting someone who survives is a pretty fitting sentence.

until the rest of the justice system is convinced of this fact (and I doubt they will ever be as long as cops face no consequences for their crimes), cops should be sentenced to harsher sentences than normal citizens. they have a greater responsibility to the law than most, and we should penalize them appropriately until they realize that deterrence isn't actually a thing in our overly punitive penal system

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

"The dumpy campus cop should call the bluff of the person begging to be killed and brandishing what looks like a knife who keeps coming forward"

Like dude, there's a bunch of lovely cops killing people, but this one's harder to pull a MAN THE BLOODTHIRSTY PIGS deal on, it's sad as hell it happened as all suicide by cop situations are but jesus christ. Like over and over in that video it sounds like they're trying to talk them down, "What's going on?" "What're we doing?" "Tell us your name" in non-confrontational tones of voice, they back up and back up and they keep staggering in at them, it's not looking like someone was just itching to blow them away.

Theres were two cops, and the dude had a closed multitool.

IDGAF about other situations or whatever dumb pig hater poo poo you're putting on me, this situation was avoidable.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008
At this point, the problem isn't just the police unions, it's the entire process of policing and justice itself. Elected judges and prosecutors routinely collaborate with police. Police not only get the public's benefit of the doubt, they are also being given the tacit support of the entire local justice system. At the very least, you have to begin by dismantling the elected system of judges and the collaboration between local law enforcement and judiciaries when investigating cops. In most decent countries, there is something similar to an SIU, and independent body that investigates police shootings and can sometimes make binding recommendations to the court system.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, what I saw was that they were reported to police as having both a khife and a gun and that's the premise the cops were operating under. They didn't know he only had a knife until after. Shooting a guy you think is coming at you with a gun is at least more justifiable.

Still doesn't make it right, still should have used non-lethal force first - but they thought they were in more potential danger than they actually were, which changes things a bit.

again, if someone considers this a danger, they don't need to be in a position to end lives with impunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeSzAJv6naY

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

I certainly think that would help, but again, if you're not just taking the lowest bidder, then you're spending more money.

Other major actions that need to happen are a complete re-working of how we deal with intellectual/property rights of the hired contractors; complete overhaul in policy and approach to IT acquisition; and major changes and fixes in how programs are budgeted and made auditable for how they're actually allocating money (DoD is especially terrible at this, and DIA is a giant cesspool of shady transactions designed to avoid answering questions about how poorly led they are).

IT is so interconnected and interwoven to everything that money cut there usually costs you more down the line.

For instance, let's say there's a problem with a hard drive on a server, and that server is essential to Application X. Every day that hard drive is hosed up is a day that everyone who works on Application X and everyone who depends on Application X in their work is basically just playing with themselves at work all day. If you go with a mid-priced decent-quality contractor, everything's fixed in a day or two. If you go with an underpriced bottom-dollar PoS contractor, it'll take you a week or more to handle the situation, and you'll have a lot of dudes who can't do their jobs in that time.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jackson Taus posted:

IT is so interconnected and interwoven to everything that money cut there usually costs you more down the line.

For instance, let's say there's a problem with a hard drive on a server, and that server is essential to Application X. Every day that hard drive is hosed up is a day that everyone who works on Application X and everyone who depends on Application X in their work is basically just playing with themselves at work all day. If you go with a mid-priced decent-quality contractor, everything's fixed in a day or two. If you go with an underpriced bottom-dollar PoS contractor, it'll take you a week or more to handle the situation, and you'll have a lot of dudes who can't do their jobs in that time.

Yes and no: there are plenty of places the government is massively overpaying for old systems that need specialized maintenance or proprietary/closed-source systems or for systems whose job is to interface with old systems and make them pretend to be modern. But until you invest to replace those with better systems, you're stuck with them: you can't defund them and not expect things to fall apart.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
In today's edition of gently caress FLUFF THE GOP:
https://twitter.com/AliceOllstein/status/910128599495249920

quote:

The Republican Governors Association has quietly launched an online publication that looks like a media outlet and is branded as such on social media. The Free Telegraph blares headlines about the virtues of GOP governors, while framing Democrats negatively. It asks readers to sign up for breaking news alerts. It launched in the summer bearing no acknowledgement that it was a product of an official party committee whose sole purpose is to get more Republicans elected.

Only after The Associated Press inquired about the site last week was a disclosure added to The Free Telegraph’s pages identifying the publication’s partisan source.

The governors association describes the website as routine political communication. Critics, including some Republicans, say it pushes the limits of honest campaign tactics in an era of increasingly partisan media and a proliferation of “fake news” sites, including those whose material became part of an apparent Russian propaganda effort during the 2016 presidential campaign.

“It’s propaganda for sure, even if they have objective standards and all the reporting is 100 percent accurate,” said Republican communications veteran Rick Tyler, whose resume includes Ted Cruz’s 2016 presidential campaign.

The website was registered July 7 through Domains By Proxy, a company that allows the originators of a website to shield their identities. An AP search did not find any corporate, Federal Election Commission or IRS filings establishing The Free Telegraph as an independent entity.

As of early Monday afternoon, The Free Telegraph’s Twitter account and Facebook page still had no obvious identifiers tying the site to RGA. The site described itself on Twitter as “bringing you the political news that matters outside of Washington.” The Facebook account labeled The Free Telegraph a “Media/News Company.” That’s a contrast to the RGA’s Facebook page, which is clearly disclosed as belonging to a “Political Organization,” as is the account of its counterpart, the Democratic Governors Association.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I've heard of them! I'll read up, thanks. :3: I love so many bits of the BLM constellation that I've heard about, almost all of which I've read about for maybe thirty seconds each.

Edit: I'll have to have a good solid think about the police union contracts. It's a standard problem with the cops (and prison guards): I'm extremely strongly pro-union, but poo poo gets loving weird when the employees are in positions of societal authority. The details look mostly smart though.

The problem with abolishing police unions is that police and especially prison guards are more likely to become (more) corrupt and either shake people down or facilitate criminal activity when they receive lower pay. Plus, lower pay and less benefits will probably mean worse applicants, exacerbating our problems.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pembroke Fuse posted:

At this point, the problem isn't just the police unions, it's the entire process of policing and justice itself. Elected judges and prosecutors routinely collaborate with police. Police not only get the public's benefit of the doubt, they are also being given the tacit support of the entire local justice system. At the very least, you have to begin by dismantling the elected system of judges and the collaboration between local law enforcement and judiciaries when investigating cops. In most decent countries, there is something similar to an SIU, and independent body that investigates police shootings and can sometimes make binding recommendations to the court system.
My favorite awful example of this was the judge in PA who was taking kickbacks from a private company that ran juvenile detention. He would send almost every kid that came into his courtroom to the facility even if they had committed minor offenses. Thankfully he was removed from the bench and jailed.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Democrazy posted:

The problem with abolishing police unions is that police and especially prison guards are more likely to become (more) corrupt and either shake people down or facilitate criminal activity when they receive lower pay. Plus, lower pay and less benefits will probably mean worse applicants, exacerbating our problems.

The problem with police unions is that they do things like use twitter to advocate murdering protestors.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You won't be able to fix policing until our broken justice system is fixed. That's not "we can't do two things are once so don't do either" bullshit but it's admitting that all the cameras in the world won't matter until prosecutors don't intentionally tank cases for officers or in the rare cases that make it to court, the judge and laws aren't bent in the police's favor. There was a lot of naivety that if people saw police breaking laws on camera that the system would do its job and punish accordingly. However like with our Trump and Republican controlled government in general it's becoming clear the system is so corrupted that you can't assume people won't blatantly break the rules to cover for anything if they know they won't be held accountable since a scary amount of the public supports fascism against their enemies.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/910137266009407488

Is there a profession with as many psychopaths as law enforcement?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Javes posted:

Economics, stock trading, upper level banking...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Javes posted:

Republican congressmen?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Javes posted:

So I just looked up spit mask and it appears to be a bag placed over the mouth and potentially nose of an inmate. Isn't that an insane smothering hazard?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

It never ceases to amaze me how many fewer people are shot by police in Canada per capita. :stare:

Also, ban military contractors and consultants. I'm not sure who is better or worse on a per $ basis but the Canadian Navy is a literal 3rd world shitshow right now. :v:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how many fewer people are shot by police in Canada per capita. :stare:

Also, ban military contractors and consultants. I'm not sure who is better or worse on a per $ basis but the Canadian Navy is a literal 3rd world shitshow right now. :v:

Exmilitary people have been advocating and selling the idea of military training to US cops since a bunch of them got back from the Iraq war with nothing to do.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Did Trump just nickname Kim Jong Un on the loving UN floor?

e: wrong thread, whoops.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 19, 2017

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PSA: The President of the United States is speaking before the UN.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

PSA: The President of the United States is speaking before the UN.

All you need to know is: Rocket Man.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

CommieGIR posted:

All you need to know is: Rocket Man.

And loser terrorists

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Javes posted:

Law enforcement draws psychopaths like moths to a flame. The corrupt cop is literally one of the oldest story-telling devices in literature.

i am harry posted:

Exmilitary people have been advocating and selling the idea of military training to US cops since a bunch of them got back from the Iraq war with nothing to do.

If they brought their ROE with them, I'd say fine. It's easier for a cop to murder you in America than a US soldier to murder you in Baghdad.

They won't though. No, they'll just be psychopaths with pent up rage about not being able to kill people.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 19, 2017

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

i am harry posted:

The problem with police unions is that they do things like use twitter to advocate murdering protestors.

In that case, I would say that the unions reflect the culture rather than cause it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Your Parents posted:

The problem isn't the removal of officers from active duty following a shooting, the problem is the lack of oversight and investigation into whether the shooting was necessary and there being consequences for the officer if they weren't. Police officers should be removed from active duty for any shooting. Any shootings should just also be investigated heavily, with significant consequences for officers who violate (better written) policies.

It blows my mind how easily officers can be re-hired in other departments even if they are, somehow, against all odds, fired.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Aren't exmilitary people also usually way better cops, because they have both trigger discipline and deescalation / situational awareness drilled into them for years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Aren't exmilitary people also usually way better cops, because they have both trigger discipline and deescalation / situational awareness drilled into them for years?

I've heard that ROEs in Iraq were more stringent than whatever training cops get, but can't confirm first-hand. Could just be bullshit.

• Locked thread