Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

um excuse me posted:

And Casper episode. But it does seem a little :tinfoil: to call munch squad a stealth plug. Some things just haven't added up for me yet I guess. Like how they've made jokes about Arby's before yet Arby's goes and tweets about being sad TAZ ended. How do they stay on good terms with all of these corporations they target? Somebody might have a sense of humor but have you seen a corporate marketing team's idea of funny? Yeesh.

Yes, it's truly impossible that the Twitter known for showcasing fan art of video games and animes could possibly be a fan of TAZ. That's just crazy-talk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I, too, was surprised they did a thing for The Adventure Zone. The Arby's twitter does do a lot of culture stuff, but it seems a bit obscure. Then again TAZ is the most popular McElroy thing, and the finale was kind of a big event, so there you go.

I think the McElroys keep coming back to Arby's for the same reason they come back to, say, French Stewart or Scott Bakula. It's just a running theme.

EDIT: Also you have to keep in mind that the McElroys are a fairly sizable cultural force now. I keep getting caught off guard whe. i find out that, say, Tom Bodett is a TAZ fan, but they really aren't just three guys with rock band microphones anymore.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
TAZ gets 6 million downloads a week.

For comparison, "American Ninja Warrior" got 5.8 million viewers last week.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The only thing I don't like about the ad reads is they're not as fun as Giant Bomb's because GB can be way more goofy with them. Also when maxfundrive time comes around I tend to skip through stuff. I can never justify it when I only listen to 2 podcasts there :nyoron:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
God I loathe those ten loving seconds mashing the 30s skip button during maxfuncon.

Not a joke. Wish there was a donation special where you buy no more ads on downloads. I hate it. I know for a loving fact they don't use every product like they're forced to say and hearing them say "they love it" every week only serves to magnify the insincerity.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
what the hell is a podcast anyway?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Wasabi the J posted:

God I loathe those ten loving seconds mashing the 30s skip button during maxfuncon.

Not a joke. Wish there was a donation special where you buy no more ads on downloads. I hate it. I know for a loving fact they don't use every product like they're forced to say and hearing them say "they love it" every week only serves to magnify the insincerity.

It's normally pretty easy to spot which products they either use (or just enjoy advertising for) and which are just doing their job for. They're not generally subtle about it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just want to point out that advertising a product you're getting paid to promote and not disclosing that you're getting paid is an actual FTC violation you will be fined for so like

Munch Squad is definitely not stealth advertising

This is why I was so incredulous about the accusation (that and if you think a podcast is really just outright lying to you why the gently caress are you listening to it)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They also make fun of the products and press releases quite a bit. I have a soft spot for the Munch Squad where Dominos now has salads and they had to make a big flowery press release about how nobody gets left out on pizza night now.

Griffin has a particularly good quip about something like "Congratulations Dominos for inventing THE FIRST FOOD PEOPLE EVER ATE."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Wasabi the J posted:

Ok so this implies that you have some sort of evidence (or at least a story about this). Do share. I'm not even being sarcastic, I want to hear about this.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd probably love Blue Apron if I got it free.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

iajanus posted:

It's normally pretty easy to spot which products they either use (or just enjoy advertising for) and which are just doing their job for. They're not generally subtle about it.

My favorite is that whenever they advertise Casper, they mention that theirs ends up in the guest room.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the fact that they mention that is a pretty good indicator of how good they are at shilling for their sponsors

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
gently caress fast food, are the McElroys in the pocket of Big Haunted Dolls?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I wish the fat cats at Arby's would quit taking over my podcasts with black money advertisements.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like fans dressing up, that's great. The only problem is there a thin line between that kind of enthusiasm and "notice me senpai". The annoying fans are the latter.

Some people do great creative costume and animations and songs and art that are McElroy themed because they love their content, and some people constantly post horse and glass shark memes and repeat punchlines as a reply to every McElroy tweet hoping to get noticed.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah no doubt fandoms are trash, and the people within are individual pieces of trash.

The McElroys aren't special in that regard. Your problem isn't with McElroy fans, it's with how people act towards notable people. Check the twitter account for any pop star, minor youtube celeb or whatever. It's the main use of twitter etc - feeling like you're connected to famous strangers.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I joined the fan appreciation page to find out show dates and upcoming events. I left about a month later when I found out it was a gigantic echo chamber most of the time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One time on the fan page some dude posted a loving dic pic with his dick in a sock, there was some gag on the show that week or something. Everyone yelled at him to delete it and he was like "No, only if a McElroy tells me. They would like this. This is a joke directly from the show".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's been the sort of the same way for Howard Stern fans over the years, too. He built up a massive following, so people would be clamouring to get on the phones, just to get some airtime. Some people would be normal, some would be ridiculous and weird, and then a small section became wack-packers. Even with the older generation, people listening to him 20+ years ago, you had people like that.

I'm thinking that it would be insanely politically incorrect for the McElroy brothers to create their own wack-pack. It's a different world today, for the better.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

um excuse me posted:

I joined the fan appreciation page to find out show dates and upcoming events. I left about a month later when I found out it was a gigantic echo chamber most of the time.

I'm honestly not sure what you were expecting there though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What's a wack-pack? Not really familiar with Stern other than some cultural osmosis.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
From the last page but do some people really think the McElroy's saying 'don't tweet at us about X' is trying to settle the offended fandom, and not just a joke? Because it's a joke you guys. When they ask for tweets or not tweets, it's a funny joke. I'm sorry you don't get it I guess because I laugh every time they do the bit. I've never really considered it a bummer moment where they're placating a fandom they don't enjoy having.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

"Kidding on the square"

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen

Judge Schnoopy posted:

From the last page but do some people really think the McElroy's saying 'don't tweet at us about X' is trying to settle the offended fandom, and not just a joke? Because it's a joke you guys. When they ask for tweets or not tweets, it's a funny joke. I'm sorry you don't get it I guess because I laugh every time they do the bit. I've never really considered it a bummer moment where they're placating a fandom they don't enjoy having.

I think there is a difference between the "don't @ me" remarks when one of the brothers doesn't want to get called out (which I would still say is kidding on the square) and the "don't tweet at random celeb we just mentioned" remarks, which are almost certainly meant in earnest because they know their fanbase. Weren't we just talking about some moron who hacked Justin's OpenTable to make him a goof reservation at Guy Fieri's restaurant? I didn't get the impression he was joking about that. Fanbases are terrible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When did this reservation thing happen?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The only thing worse than fandoms are baristas.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Ojjeorago posted:

The only thing worse than fandoms are baristas.

And Jugglers

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

um excuse me posted:

Who could have forseen that a fan page would be a, quote, "echo chamber". What a loving shocker this is, I am truly floored.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Who What Now posted:

Who could have forseen that a fan page would be a, quote, "echo chamber". What a loving shocker this is, I am truly floored.

I dunno, this thread seems to do alright about that, even if it does sometimes spiral into "the McElroys are putting mind control drugs into my fast food". Sure as poo poo better than most of the facebook pages, anyway.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is a fan page of sorts. I posted criticism without being drawn and quartered (dog piled slightly). This thread doesn't echo too much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

um excuse me posted:

And Casper episode. But it does seem a little :tinfoil: to call munch squad a stealth plug. Some things just haven't added up for me yet I guess. Like how they've made jokes about Arby's before yet Arby's goes and tweets about being sad TAZ ended. How do they stay on good terms with all of these corporations they target? Somebody might have a sense of humor but have you seen a corporate marketing team's idea of funny? Yeesh.

Arby's made a cardboad/papercraft Gryo Zeppelli from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 8, something that has only been fan translated and probably won't see an official English release for another 5-6 years. Their twitter guy/artists just likes nerdy poo poo.

TheWorstAtWords
May 27, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

When did this reservation thing happen?

Think it came up during the last Awful Squad, or maybe the one before it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

um excuse me posted:

This is a fan page of sorts. I posted criticism without being drawn and quartered (dog piled slightly). This thread doesn't echo too much.

That's mostly because "The McElroys secretly work for a powerful Arby's cabal" is so outrageously stupid that most people's eyes glazed over and they blocked out ever having read it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Who What Now posted:

That's mostly because "The McElroys secretly work for a powerful Arby's cabal" is so outrageously stupid that most people's eyes glazed over and they blocked out ever having read it.

I dunnoooo. A few times I have ended up ordering a product discussed in a Munch Squad, notably the "terrible triangles"...

Aw poo poo :tinfoil:

But no seriously, I love those segments cuz just hearing the breakdowns of the food announcements, and the brothers, is great.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thank you for your opinion. I have added it to the sort pile which may or may not be my garbage can.

This is a Griffin joke

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
People who like a thing thinking they're above other people who like that thing because they like it less than those people are so much worse than people being overly enthusiastic about liking a thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What's a wack-pack? Not really familiar with Stern other than some cultural osmosis.

His version of the rat/brat pack; a group of weirdos who are funny to Stern for one way or another (some sort of defect, either mental or physical, or both). You'd think he's just making fun of them, and you'd be somewhat correct, but at the same time, he also treats them the same way he'd treat anyone else, in that he doesn't avert his eyes or pretend they don't exist. In a lot of cases, wack packers have gotten far more opportunities through him than they would have otherwise.

For example, Eric the Actor (formerly Eric the Midget), ended up on a few tv shows. He was a terrible actor, and he truly believed otherwise.

EDIT: vvv Ha, nice.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

His version of the rat/brat pack; a group of weirdos who are funny to Stern for one way or another (some sort of defect, either mental or physical, or both). You'd think he's just making fun of them, and you'd be correct, but at the same time, he also treats them the same way he'd treat anyone else, in that he doesn't avert his eyes or pretend they don't exist. In a lot of cases, wack packers have gotten far more opportunities through him than they would have otherwise.

Oh you mean like that one fat heroin addict?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Asiina posted:

People who like a thing thinking they're above other people who like that thing because they like it less than those people are so much worse than people being overly enthusiastic about liking a thing.

Pretty much this. Life is short, the world sucks. Be enthusiastic about liking things because that's all we've got.